ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson Cardinal

Since Brian works for Purdue, and since he has intergenerational wealth from his NBA days to boot (Brian's contract was deemed one of the worst contracts in NBA history from the management side), Bryson can be a walk-on.

Last edited:
He did contribute to an NBA title on that contract.
11 mpg during the regular season and about 4 mpg during the playoffs. So, that's true. But, that wasn't on the $39 million deal he signed with the Grizzlies. He signed one-year deal with the Mavs after he was released by the Knicks.

Scholarship may not be required but availability of a packed roster may be the bigger issue.

I'm all for giving legacy players a chance but as it was stated above, Purdue needs to be recruiting top talent to continue what is being built right before our eyes.

#1 ranked team for 3 years running is a great foundation, now we need to solidify our position by recruiting top talent and winning in March. If this kid, or any other, can help Purdue do that then bring them on board.

Scholarship may not be required but availability of a packed roster may be the bigger issue.

I'm all for giving legacy players a chance but as it was stated above, Purdue needs to be recruiting top talent to continue what is being built right before our eyes.

#1 ranked team for 3 years running is a great foundation, now we need to solidify our position by recruiting top talent and winning in March. If this kid, or any other, can help Purdue do that then bring them on board.
I recall that Brian’s dad was a trainer at Illinois, but Brian was not offered by the Illini and chose Purdue. Perhaps Painter will face a similar decision of whether to offer.

I recall that Brian’s dad was a trainer at Illinois, but Brian was not offered by the Illini and chose Purdue. Perhaps Painter will face a similar decision of whether to offer.
It comes to #s. 1 scholie, already more offers than spots.

Since Brian works for Purdue, and since he has intergenerational wealth from his NBA days to boot (Brian's contract was deemed one of the work contracts in NBA history from the management side), Bryson can be a walk-on.
intergenerational wealth might be a stretch...he made $39 mil, but how much of that did he keep and does he still have. Hopefully he invested well!

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
intergenerational wealth might be a stretch...he made $39 mil, but how much of that did he keep and does he still have. Hopefully he invested well!

Think Brian is a Krannert grad so I’m guessing he has done very well with his money over the years.

I doubt he’s in a position where $20K a year is something he would miss. Plus some of that could be recouped with NIL money possibly.

Think Brian is a Krannert grad so I’m guessing he has done very well with his money over the years.

I doubt he’s in a position where $20K a year is something he would miss. Plus some of that could be recouped with NIL money possibly.
Hopefully! $20K a year is still no small fee, but I hear you. Guess it depends on what we consider “international” wealth. Glad @Boiler Buck found my post humorous!

I would guess if he was going to be offered a scholarship it already would have happened.? Not much room to add scholarship players in 25 class unless we lose several players… I’d like to see us get Sisley or Haralson or maybe even EJ Walker.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I would guess if he was going to be offered a scholarship it already would have happened.? Not much room to add scholarship players in 25 class unless we lose several players… I’d like to see us get Sisley or Haralson or maybe even EJ Walker.
From quick research, and I could be completely wrong so please correct me, but I saw he’s putting up 14 and 8 (good stats for high school), but has taken under 10 threes for the year. He’s 6’8, so I’d think to be at Purdue, hed need to be able to shoot the 3 a bit more or show he’s capable of it–he very well may do that on the AAU circuit though…haven’t followed him much there.

From quick research, and I could be completely wrong so please correct me, but I saw he’s putting up 14 and 8 (good stats for high school), but has taken under 10 threes for the year. He’s 6’8, so I’d think to be at Purdue, hed need to be able to shoot the 3 a bit more or show he’s capable of it–he very well may do that on the AAU circuit though…haven’t followed him much there.
If he continues to get better and produce it’s always possible to get an offer

If he continues to get better and produce it’s always possible to get an offer
Oh for sure. I think it’s tough though to see how we can provide a scholarship when we only have 1 spot open (so far) in 2025. We also may be log jammed at his position…hopefully we do offer either way and he can contribute to Purdue like both his parents did when they played at Purdue!

Reactions: oldboiler52
Hopefully! $20K a year is still no small fee, but I hear you. Guess it depends on what we consider “international” wealth. Glad @Boiler Buck found my post humorous!
and if he pans out, I’m sure they’d put him on scholarship after a year or two. With those genes, i am betting he does.

You'd have to be pretty bad with money if $39 mil doesn't last more than 1 generation.
That's gross. Considerably less than that after taxes. What's the highest tax rate? Around 35+% I think. And agent fees are what, 10-15%? probably took home around 25m. A lot of money for sure, if you're smart about it.
Also not that hard to blow if you work at it, lease 4-5 cars, flashy women, etc

That's gross. Considerably less than that after taxes. What's the highest tax rate? Around 35+% I think. And agent fees are what, 10-15%? probably took home around 25m. A lot of money for sure, if you're smart about it.

Doubt Cardinal had "flashy women". Lol

Underestimating the grabby hands of Govt. 35% + with Fica another 7.65%?... then he moved to MN that added another 9.85% in state taxes. Even @ 10% agent that leaves him about 38% when he worked in MN. Did much better in TN, a no tax state. In any case, still, several million all totaled.... Think most could make it on that though.

Underestimating the grabby hands of Govt. 35% + with Fica another 7.65%?... then he moved to MN that added another 9.85% in state taxes. Even @ 10% agent that leaves him about 38% when he worked in MN. Did much better in TN, a no tax state. In any case, still, several million all totaled.... Think most could make it on that though.
A friend said he won a $20 million dollar lottery and 2 years later it was gone. He said he spent most of it on drugs and hookers, and just wasted the rest. ;)

NBA Agent fees are 3%.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash

Not to downplay the taxes and expenses, but the FICA portion (6.2%) would only be on the first $100k or so (when he played). Also, agent fees would be tax deductible. TN would help with no tax, but still needed to pay taxes in the states and cities he played on the road. So, probably netted 50%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT