ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm does'nt understand

jageh345

True Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2002
That you win championships with defensive play .He is incompetent when it comes to selecting defensive coordinators.He is incompetent when it comes to recruiting defensive players.At this point Purdue should not renue his contract.I don't see him changing his philosophy of ignoring the defensive side of the ball.

That you win championships with defensive play .He is incompetent when it comes to selecting defensive coordinators.He is incompetent when it comes to recruiting defensive players.At this point Purdue should not renue his contract.I don't see him changing his philosophy of ignoring the defensive side of the ball.

why did Diaco go 300, 326 and 305 up front at Notre dame but he goes 275 325 275 here?

why was diaco’s smallest linebacker 240 at Notre dame but jalen Graham is playing at 215 here..

thats why we look like a team getting pushed in rugby here

Reactions: Riveting and Beorik
Where in hell is Brock Spack who should have been the head coach 12 years ago.

why did Diaco go 300, 326 and 305 up front at Notre dame but he goes 275 325 275 here?

why was diaco’s smallest linebacker 240 at Notre dame but jalen Graham is playing at 215 here..

You made the point that Brohm is a very poor recruiter of defensive players.

this years small class doesn't look too hot neither.
I’m thinking the last two classes that were really good were sold on opportunity and playing time and a chance to make Purdue a winner and since it isn’t happening I’m thinking the top notch guys may not be interested anymore and it will be pretty telling if Yanni goes elsewhere

Reactions: DAG10

it's spelled "renew"

On the team? The program? Our fan base? Our fan base is tough. Plummer throws for almost 400 yards in an away game with temps in the 20’s. He throws 3 TDS.....our All American drops a 4th TD and our 5th TD Taken off the board by what many Professional sports guys are saying may be the worst call they’ve EVER seen. The. Next week people want him benched. Would have had 400 yards and 5 TDS the week before , but now he sucks the next week. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: SLoopBoiler
On the team? The program? Our fan base? Our fan base is tough. Plummer throws for almost 400 yards in an away game with temps in the 20’s. He throws 3 TDS.....our All American drops a 4th TD and our 5th TD Taken off the board by what many Professional sports guys are saying maybe the worst call they’ve EVER seen. The. Next week people want him benched. Would have had 400 yards and 5 TDS the week before , but now he sucks the next week. ?

for the life of me I don’t understand how anyone watched the Rutgers game and wants Plummer benched. It’s just stupid

for the life of me I don’t understand how anyone watched the Rutgers game and wants Plummer benched. It’s just stupid

concur and would add any game this season. Imo QB has probably been our 2nd best position group behind wr this season. With maybe rb being a close 3rd. O-line, d-line, lbs, secondary, and special teams have all been much worse (more inconsistent) than qb.

You are listing weights, and not names. Those front 7s at ND put a lot of guys into the NFL and multiple All Pros and Pro Bowlers. All three starting DL played in the NFL, and two others in the two deep did too.
Talent is the issue, not size.
The following players were on that two deep in the front 7 who went on to play in the NFL:
Tuitt
Nix
Day
Moore
Teo
Shembo
Williams
Okwara
And Lynch who transferred.
That’s eight dudes on the front 7 two deep who played in the NFL off of one team. The back end had three DBs (Farley, Shumate and Russell) who also played in the NFL, and Slaughter on a NFL practice squad.
That’s 11 dudes in the defensive two deep who played in the NFL & one more on a practice squad, from one team. That’s what Diaco was working with...

Last edited:
You are listing weights, and not names. Those front 7s at ND put a lot of guys into the NFL and multiple All Pros and Pro Bowlers. All three starting DL played in the NFL, and two others in the two deep did too.
The following players were on that two deep in the front 7 who went on to play in the NFL:
Tuitt
Nix
Day
Moore
Teo
Shembo
Williams
Okwara
That’s eight dudes on the front 7 two deep who played in the NFL off of one team. The back end had three DBs (Farley, Shumate and Russell) who also played in the NFL, and Slaughter on a NFL practice squad.
That’s 11 dudes in the defensive two deep who played in the NFL & one more on a practice squad, from one team. That’s what Diaco was working with...

Watts and Johnson may not be those guys but they are actually a lot closer than Jack Sullivan..

Tuitt
Nix
Day
Moore
Teo
Shembo
Williams
Okwara

I would say that weight and talent is an issue. 3-4 is VERY different from running a 4-3.

George Karlaftis is supremely talented but playing DE at 270lbs had him looking relatively quiet. You need talent and size. DE in a 3-4 are typically pushing 300 for a reason.

I would say that weight and talent is an issue. 3-4 is VERY different from running a 4-3.

George Karlaftis is supremely talented but playing DE at 270lbs had him looking relatively quiet. You need talent and size. DE in a 3-4 are typically pushing 300 for a reason.
The DE’s in a 3-4 aren’t usually just big, but taller & longer. Like Lynch & Tuitt, Moore, etc were all 6’5-6’7.
And teams move guys around when switching back & forth. You will see Safties playing LB, LBs playing DE, etc...ND’s Rover & Buck are both Safties. The drop DE (Vyper) & WDE are both OLBs. So it’s a scheme that is a 4-3 but with both 3-4 and 4-2-5 looks because of versatility. The Rover, JOK, will line up at LB on some 3rd downs & on others he will cover the Slot WR. Hayes, the drop end (Vyper), will play WDE to stop the run, will drop into coverage like an OLB & also slide inside to DT on obvious passing downs & rush the passer. It confuses the Offense and weight doesn’t matter.

He is not going lighter with us it’s just the options available right now have you not watched the recruiting results the last couple of years? We have to develop the right players for the front of the defense of line. No big deal, we will be better next year and the year after and the year after that.

But if everyone on here wants to be simple Simon and let them. Rebuilding a solid defense of line let alone an offensive line takes many years.

This is college football, it’s not rec league college football... I find it absolutely hilarious how many people on here think “you just go after the big boys and you get them and then you rebuild the line it’s just that easy“ and if that were the case who the hell wouldn’t do it every year?

He is not going lighter with us it’s just the options available right now have you not watched the recruiting results the last couple of years? We have to develop the right players for the front of the defense of line. No big deal, we will be better next year and the year after and the year after that.

But if everyone on here wants to be simple Simon and let them. Rebuilding a solid defense of line let alone an offensive line takes many years.

This is college football, it’s not rec league college football... I find it absolutely hilarious how many people on here think “you just go after the big boys and you get them and then you rebuild the line it’s just that easy“ and if that were the case who the hell wouldn’t do it every year?

See I knew someone would have this take ... “hey had to play LIGHT because he doesn’t have the recruits”

He had anthony watts right there. Why was Jack Sullivan playing instead of just PUTTING THE 4-3 DEFENSIVE TACKLE WATTS IN AT 3-4 DEFENSIVE END??

When you’re playing Sullivan and deen at 3-4 DE and you have watts and Johnson, you’re making a statement.. you’re saying that you think 4-3 SSDEs are now sufficient as 3-4 DEs

See I knew someone would have this take ... “hey had to play LIGHT because he doesn’t have the recruits”

He had anthony watts right there. Why was Jack Sullivan playing instead of just PUTTING THE 4-3 DEFENSIVE TACKLE WATTS IN AT 3-4 DEFENSIVE END??

When you’re playing Sullivan and deen at 3-4 DE and you have watts and Johnson, you’re making a statement.. you’re saying that you think 4-3 SSDEs are now sufficient as 3-4 DEs
Do we know if Watts was anywhere close to 100%? Recall he missed the Minnesota game and was questionable for Rutgers with an injury Brohm described as similar to GK's. Either way, the point is the beef drops off considerably when you take one or two guys off that D line. Just not sure how much of a 'choice' that was. As little as anyone might think of Diaco, he can't be stupid enough to keep a 5th year run stopper on the bench when Johnny Nobody is moseying on down the field against his defense. I see how close the staff keeps injury status to the vest and can't help but think some key cogs in our DL are walking wounded and by the 4th quarter against Rutgers there just weren't any good options.

Do we know if Watts was anywhere close to 100%? Recall he missed the Minnesota game and was questionable for Rutgers with an injury Brohm described as similar to GK's. Either way, the point is the beef drops off considerably when you take one or two guys off that D line. Just not sure how much of a 'choice' that was. As little as anyone might think of Diaco, he can't be stupid enough to keep a 5th year run stopper on the bench when Johnny Nobody is moseying on down the field against his defense. I see how close the staff keeps injury status to the vest and can't help but think some key cogs in our DL are walking wounded and by the 4th quarter against Rutgers there just weren't any good options.

He was in the game early on and so was Lawrence Johnson

But don’t tell me they didn’t have true DTs .. I don’t care how young Faucheux is.. I’d rather have his 6’5” 300+ lb frame out there at 3-4 DE (which you do realize is supposed to be like a 4-3 DT right?) than rail thin 6’6” 275 Jack Sullivan against the wild cat.

We were running a deranged 3-3-5 with two defensive ends man

I don’t start with anything I want and then spend the whole season working backwards

I wanted Diaco to succeed but the book is the book. As evidence rolls in i interpolate that and react based on what is.

I can see it now. Diaco comes back, I’m the ass hole for predicting 4-5 wins and then we will be talking about 2022 being a meh season. Brohm may not even make it.

For my money based on what I’ve seen with the defense and Barnes, Diaco is a very good linebackers coach and that’s it.

It’s also a waste of karlaftis to have a player like that playing 3-4 DE holding up OTs and controlling gaps ..

I don’t start with anything I want and then spend the whole season working backwards

I wanted Diaco to succeed but the book is the book. As evidence rolls in i interpolate that and react based on what is.

I can see it now. Diaco comes back, I’m the ass hole for predicting 4-5 wins and then we will be talking about 2022 being a meh season. Brohm may not even make it.

For my money based on what I’ve seen with the defense and Barnes, Diaco is a very good linebackers coach and that’s it.

It’s also a waste of karlaftis to have a player like that playing 3-4 DE holding up OTs and controlling gaps ..
You're not an ass hole for wanting Diaco replaced or for your predictions. I do wish there was more access to Diaco and better questioning of Brohm by the media as to why there weren't those types of adjustments in the 4th quarter. But, like when everyone was dogpiling on Rondale and assuming the worst of him in the absence of information, I'm going to hold a benefit of the doubt that our DC is somewhat competent and there are other factors that took Watts and Johnson off the field in that situation and why we haven't seen Faucheux. But that's a pretty shaky benefit of the doubt admittedly.

One thing I really appreciate about a coach like Painter is his willingness to get into details in interviews. I always walk away having learned something about the team. Whether its X's and O's, injuries, whatever. You're never left with much doubt about what's going on. Brohm is the polar opposite and its hard to figure out who is being protected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT