ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Contract

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
What is Brohm's base salary?

If you're Bobinski, do you increase his base salary and also his buyout?

What is the max Purdue could possibly pay? $5M?? How would that cripple the athletic department?

I believe it is $3.3 million per year, plus perks and bonuses. The bowl game earns him 7.5 percent I believe. Finishing tied for 3rd in the West May get him something also. A very nice chunk of change no matter how you look st it, and yes it is WAY too soon to talk extensions or raises. A nice perk might be to do something for the assistants.

After every game, I heard players and Brohm talk about fan support and how critical it is. I think the best thing we can do and what Brohm wants most is 55000 asses in seats every game next year and a few sellouts. That will help him recruit and be successful. I mean really, what's another million or two when his contract is pretty much guaranteed at this point? 3 million will buy him a palace just about anywhere, Especially in Indiana! He held up his end of the bargain by staying, now it is our turn

I believe it is $3.3 million per year, plus perks and bonuses. The bowl game earns him 7.5 percent I believe. Finishing tied for 3rd in the West May get him something also. A very nice chunk of change no matter how you look st it, and yes it is WAY too soon to talk extensions or raises. A nice perk might be to do something for the assistants.

I fully agree that upping pay for the assistants is a good plan. Teams will start trying to poach them as success continues, and it was something that really hurt Tiller. The assistant coaches were absolutely outstanding.

As for too early for an extension, that is crazy talk. Brohm earned his pay in crease with the fan increase and increase in sales. Everybody is talking about him leaving, so locking him in for a lot more years with bigger bonuses and a huge buyout is smart. Don't think we necessarily need to raise the base pay much over 4 if the perks give him a shot at top money. Look at what Dabo did with Clemson. I think Brohm could do that here, but the Louisville job will always be a concern. That's why you extend him as far as you can with a huge buyout. I am not ready to put him in the coaching hall of fame yet, but what he did was downright impressive this year. His name will always come up for the big jobs if we can't get a deal done.

I am fine with him getting whatever increase the team made for the athletic department.
If you include ticket sales, game day food/parking/merch sales, added alumni giving, and uptick in merchandise sales then that added athletic dept revenue you could credit to him would certainly be millions right? So upping his salary to say $5-$6 mil a year shouldn’t cause red ink. Not saying he should have an outrageous salary, but the money is there to keep him (Big10 TV money alone goes a loooooong way).

If you include ticket sales, game day food/parking/merch sales, added alumni giving, and uptick in merchandise sales then that added athletic dept revenue you could credit to him would certainly be millions right? So upping his salary to say $5-$6 mil a year shouldn’t cause red ink. Not saying he should have an outrageous salary, but the money is there to keep him (Big10 TV money alone goes a loooooong way).
If that’s the Delta then give it to the staff. It will generate more right?

This would be a smart perk considering how good of a DC Nick Holt is. One more year coaching great defense like this year and people might start looking at Holt as a HC.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
If that’s the Delta then give it to the staff. It will generate more right?
I’ll try to find my post from earlier in the year where we attempted to put a dollar number on the value of a winning FB coach. But the biggest unknown was the level of giving that a winning program promotes. Using the late Tiller years as a baseline, I think we’ve had something like a $5-$10 million decrease in annual giving. Add in tickets, merchandise, etc., and I think it’s somewhere is the neighborhood of $15M per year.

Why is it too early to talk about an extension or raise? And, why do you care whether he makes $3.3 or $5 mill? If he continues to win at PU, you'll have schools throwing $6-7 mil in his face.

I fully agree that upping pay for the assistants is a good plan. Teams will start trying to poach them as success continues, and it was something that really hurt Tiller. The assistant coaches were absolutely outstanding.

As for too early for an extension, that is crazy talk. Brohm earned his pay in crease with the fan increase and increase in sales. Everybody is talking about him leaving, so locking him in for a lot more years with bigger bonuses and a huge buyout is smart. Don't think we necessarily need to raise the base pay much over 4 if the perks give him a shot at top money. Look at what Dabo did with Clemson. I think Brohm could do that here, but the Louisville job will always be a concern. That's why you extend him as far as you can with a huge buyout. I am not ready to put him in the coaching hall of fame yet, but what he did was downright impressive this year. His name will always come up for the big jobs if we can't get a deal done.

I couldn't have said it better myself. My brother and I often talk about what Tiller could have done if he would have had more money available to keep his Assistant Coaches around longer and reach further with recruiting. Purdue and Brohm need to make sure they take care of the Assistant Coaches like Holt who are doing well coaching and recruiting.

I am aware we are not Michigan with a 100,000 capacity stadium; however, I remember reading an article in the USA Today after Michigan hired Hairball. In the article they explained how the budget would not suffer one from paying that asshole $6mil or $7mil per year since the increase in revenue from success would offset all of the cash paid to him. Like I said we are not Michigan but if we as a fan base support the program by buying tickets and selling the place out, then Purdue can afford to pay him the money we need to pay him to stay.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I agree that Brohm and his staff have exceeded expectations and are deserving of some extension/raise to contracts. I definitely agree that Brohm's buyout needs to be increased, if that is possible.

The AD department will begin to bring in a larger revenue share of B1G network money, correct? Or has that started this year? Thought I read it was an additional $17+ million per school. Has the extra revenue already been allocated? If not- I would think we could shave a few million off that 17 and bump contracts for football... maybe add hot water and a 2nd urinal to the visitors locker room ;)

Regarding assistant pay- I recall the AD in news articles talking about the $ pool Brohm had to use for assistants, and that dollar amount was in the upper half of the B1G. So we are now very competitive with pay for people under Brohm, also remember reading we offered multi year contracts instead of 1yr deals. Poaching assistants will be more difficult at Purdue now, unless they leave for a Blue Blood school or a HC gig.

This is completely different and BETTER than it was under Tiller. He would lose assistants to lateral moves, they would go to another school for a similar position but more pay. I don't see that happening anymore under the current AD.

I couldn't have said it better myself. My brother and I often talk about what Tiller could have done if he would have had more money available to keep his Assistant Coaches around longer and reach further with recruiting. Purdue and Brohm need to make sure they take care of the Assistant Coaches like Holt who are doing well coaching and recruiting.

I am aware we are not Michigan with a 100,000 capacity stadium; however, I remember reading an article in the USA Today after Michigan hired Hairball. In the article they explained how the budget would not suffer one from paying that asshole $6mil or $7mil per year since the increase in revenue from success would offset all of the cash paid to him. Like I said we are not Michigan but if we as a fan base support the program by buying tickets and selling the place out, then Purdue can afford to pay him the money we need to pay him to stay.
I learned from the great Organ Murk that increased revenue is best used when it is funneled to perks and facility upgrades for non-revenue sports.

I learned from the great Organ Murk that increased revenue is best used when it is funneled to perks and facility upgrades for non-revenue sports.
Or used for non-athlete related academic projects (thanks Cordova).

We might even be able to lease an ambulance service for home games with the extra B1G Network money. It looks a little better than stuffing an injured player in the front seat of a van for a ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT