ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm and Hope

Why are we giving Hazell McCollum all of a sudden? Brohm brought him over from WKU.

And that's the point. Hazell left some good players, but there were massive massive holes and no depth. Brohm brought 12 transfers in that first year just to plug holes. 12!!! Several were hits -impact guys like McCollum, Okonye, Steinmetz, Zico, Wright. Others were forgettable - Corey Holmes anyone? But they all took up scholarships that could have otherwise been invested in recruits that would today be.. you guessed it.. our senior class!

Football is less about how good the best 2 or 3 guys are on the field and more about how exploitable the worst 2 or 3 are. I think Brohm will go back to patching holes this offseason. I really don't think he's that far from making this a solid roster.
Nobody is giving anything to anybody. I believe people are trying to say yes they have the same record but Brohm had to do it with less talent,

My argument is that however he got it, there was talent on that 2017 team.

Its kind of a weird argument anyway because Hope had better records in years 3 and 4 and Brohm's have gotten worse.

Nobody is giving anything to anybody. I believe people are trying to say yes they have the same record but Brohm had to do it with less talent,

My argument is that however he got it, there was talent on that 2017 team.

Its kind of a weird argument anyway because Hope had better records in years 3 and 4 and Brohm's have gotten worse.
There's a couple different conversations going on here. Some are repeating the old "Brohm did better with Hazell's recruits" mantra.

Agree the recruiting dipped in '21. '18 through '20 was solid. There was some talk about Brohm's recruiting success being tied to getting guys on campus for visits and how that didn't happen last year due to Covid. Not sure if I totally buy it, but the trend fits. I think a bigger part was there was less playing time to be sold with a relatively young roster and possibly some issues with the recruiting coordinator (who was suddenly let go). The '22 class appears to be on the upswing significantly.

Okay. If you say so.

Bailey had 89 tackles, 7 sacks and 11 tackles for loss in 2017. Bentley had 97 tackles on 12 games and 11.5 tackles for loss. McCollum had 69 tackles in 9 games (6 tackles for loss).

Graham and Douglas have 19 tackles each through 5 games. Douglas has zero tackles for loss, Graham 3. Alexander has 27.Tackles and 3 for loss.

TJ was a Brohm recruit and doesn’t count as talent left for Brohm.

I said closer just looking at those two and overall depth is better now. Just my opinion.

You don’t endorse a coach challenging a radio show caller to “come down to my office and say that to my face”?
I kind of do. He had a little fire. May not have been a good look to do that though but I don’t mind it. He may not have been that great of a coach but he seemed to really have fun coaching and cared for his guys and they seemed to care about him as well. I don’t think you can say the same about Hazell and his guys and I really don’t know about Brohm and his

Reactions: Russ Ford
I kind of do. He had a little fire. May not have been a good look to do that though but I don’t mind it. He may not have been that great of a coach but he seemed to really have fun coaching and cared for his guys and they seemed to care about him as well. I don’t think you can say the same about Hazell and his guys and I really don’t know about Brohm and his
Danny’s radio shows were definitely more entertaining than Haze’s or Brohms, I’ll give him that.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
But its not a fair point. It's right there in his analysis. Hope was 13-19 and Brohm is 14-20 in conference play.

Hope inherited a 4-8 team and Brohm inherited a 3-9 team. Brohm inherited a lot of talent on offense. In fact we were better at QB and RB in Brohm's 1st year than we are now.

Bottom line not that Big of a difference.
What were the records over the prior 4 years and/or average recruiting rankings over the prior four years.

Danny Hope easily inherited a better program

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Joe tiller was a better coach than Jeff brohm thus far. Joe tiller did inherit better.. and also won 9 games his first year
Brohm inherited Sindelar who had vast talent but a bad knee and it was his repeated downfall. Tiller got lucky with Billie Dickens who worked in a wide open system that nobody was ready for. He then recruited Drew Brees who arrived with and kept two healthy knees. Any guesses how Tiller's years would have turned out if Brees had blown a knee in season one? Shit happens. In addition to recruiting, development and scheme a good enough of good luck is needed to turn around a program.

A few players dont make a team. Mahoungu didnt show up until the last 3 games of his senior year. People remember that Iowa game and think he did that the whole time, he didnt. McCollum followed Brohm from WKU.

The roster was in bad shape when Brohm got here.
I don't disagree, yet, it was nowhere near as bad as it is being made out to be either.

I don't disagree, yet, it was nowhere near as bad as it is being made out to be either.
yes it was. The recruiting was historically bad especially on the lines. To try to say otherwise is mind boggling.
Hazell left a dumpster fire

There's a couple different conversations going on here. Some are repeating the old "Brohm did better with Hazell's recruits" mantra.

Agree the recruiting dipped in '21. '18 through '20 was solid. There was some talk about Brohm's recruiting success being tied to getting guys on campus for visits and how that didn't happen last year due to Covid. Not sure if I totally buy it, but the trend fits. I think a bigger part was there was less playing time to be sold with a relatively young roster and possibly some issues with the recruiting coordinator (who was suddenly let go). The '22 class appears to be on the upswing significantly.
Um, it is not a mantra...Brohm did do better with Hazell's recruits.

I don't buy the Covid excuse, albeit convenient. Recruiting dipped in part from Purdue getting embarrassed by Auburn. Lack of playing time is not remotely relevant right now, as, outside of not even a genuine handful of guys, there is plenty of time available at many/most positions. If anything, I might buy into the recruiting coordinator a bit, but, even that is debatable given some success that was had while he was in the position.

yes it was. The recruiting was historically bad especially on the lines. To try to say otherwise is mind boggling.
Hazell left a dumpster fire.
I will have to go back and look, but, initial thought, I thought the line inherited was pretty good...perhaps I am wrong. I know Barron was a Hazell recruit and the backbone of the line when Brohm arrived.

I know Blough and Knox and Jones were Hazell guys...Hopkins I believe.

Lynch was a Hazell guy I thought.

On the whole...you may be right...but, there were some solid guys as well...and, those were the guys that Brohm won with.

Hazell had 4 QB recruits better than any that Brohm has had yet...hopefully that changes with the guys coming in next year and the following, but, speaking of mind boggling...a QB guru and alleged offensive genius not attracting a QB of the talent that arguably the worst HC in the history of the program had would indeed qualify as mind boggling.

It is not as if Hazell rolled out a starting backfield of walk-ons at any point.

Hazell left a dumpster fire
Evans transferred in that year from NIU, I remember that...Barron was there...McCann was there...I forget who else started...another Grad transfer though I believe at one of the spots.

It is not as if the OL has been any better than those that he inherited or worked with early on...it was horrific a year ago and is horrible yet again this year.

I will have to go back and look, but, initial thought, I thought the line inherited was pretty good...perhaps I am wrong. I know Barron was a Hazell recruit and the backbone of the line when Brohm arrived.

I know Blough and Knox and Jones were Hazell guys...Hopkins I believe.

Lynch was a Hazell guy I thought.

On the whole...you may be right...but, there were some solid guys as well...and, those were the guys that Brohm won with.

Hazell had 4 QB recruits better than any that Brohm has had yet...hopefully that changes with the guys coming in next year and the following, but, speaking of mind boggling...a QB guru and alleged offensive genius not attracting a QB of the talent that arguably the worst HC in the history of the program had would indeed qualify as mind boggling.

It is not as if Hazell rolled out a starting backfield of walk-ons at any point.
Who were the 4 hazell qb recruits? I’m curious. Also who is lunch.

as I said , hazell left some players behind but the roster was awful. Bottom of the big ten and worst in power five bad

Brohm inherited Sindelar who had vast talent but a bad knee and it was his repeated downfall. Tiller got lucky with Billie Dickens who worked in a wide open system that nobody was ready for. He then recruited Drew Brees who arrived with and kept two healthy knees. Any guesses how Tiller's years would have turned out if Brees had blown a knee in season one? Shit happens. In addition to recruiting, development and scheme a good enough of good luck is needed to turn around a program.
Excuses for why one person didn’t do something will never be as persuasive as someone actually doing that thing. You sound like Kobe Bryant fans who think he’s better than Michael Jordan

Except Bailey was a Sophomore at the time and Brohm brought in McCollum. So the comparison gets a lot closer when you just compare Bentley and Bailey to Graham and Alexander. And then add in Brothers and Yanni and I think there is more potential NFL talent in our lbs than what Brohm inherited.
Bentley and Bailey are both playing in the NFL...I don't know if any of the 4 you mentioned get there...Brothers can barely get on the field as it is with a very average (at best) group, and, in the instances that he does, he has no impact at all.

I look at one thing - the bottom line and coach’s salary! And those who make excuses will say coaches are paid more now. Look at Hope’s pay when compared to his contemporaries verses what Brohm is paid. Brohm was given that salary to keep him from leaving. That pay raise came with expectations. And his accomplishments have been worse. We could have saved a lot of money and achieved that exact same results just keeping Hope rather than all the buyouts and increased salaries.

I can’t Believe people actually use Covid as an excuse for a bad recruiting year. Every school in the US had the same Covid issues. Did OSU also suffer a bad recruiting year as well? The reality is recruiting is based on winning and the last impression a recruit sees. We were blown away by Auburn. Recruits saw and remembered this and went elsewhere.

I also keep reading about the talent that was left. When Brohm arrived, players had the choice of staying or leaving. The players who stayed should be considered as Brohm’s players , not anybody else’s.
Brohm. Allen and fleck all arrived at the same time. You people all said we need to wit 4 years before comparing them. This is year 5 and you now want more years. It’s clear which direction each team is going. Of the three, Brohm has been by far the best recruiter. But he has been the worst at developing talent. And he has lost more 4 star recruits to transfers than the other two schools even signed.
I liked Brohm before he used Louisville to get his huge paycheck. For the money, he has not produced.
Im also tired of the Les miles comments. That suggestion was made over 5 years ago. The only people who keep bringing it up are the people who were not brave enough to offer their own preference. They just agreed Brohm was better choice than fleck. I’d also like to know what happened to all those fans predicting 9-3 seasons? If you’re going to bully and bad mouth people for making stupid comments, then look in the mirror and bad mouth yourself! Those 9-3 predictions look pretty stupid to me!

Why are we giving Hazell McCollum all of a sudden? Brohm brought him over from WKU.

And that's the point. Hazell left some good players, but there were massive massive holes and no depth. Brohm brought 12 transfers in that first year just to plug holes. 12!!! Several were hits -impact guys like McCollum, Okonye, Steinmetz, Zico, Wright. Others were forgettable - Corey Holmes anyone? But they all took up scholarships that could have otherwise been invested in recruits that would today be.. you guessed it.. our senior class!

Football is less about how good the best 2 or 3 guys are on the field and more about how exploitable the worst 2 or 3 are. I think Brohm will go back to patching holes this offseason. But it won't require 12 transfers, not even close. I really don't think he's that far from making this a solid roster.
I am not sure that the fact that it will be 6 years to put together a solid roster (if it happens) is more an indictment of Brohm or Hazell...I guess that it ultimately does not matter.

Who were the 4 hazell qb recruits? I’m curious. Also who is lunch.

as I said , hazell left some players behind but the roster was awful. Bottom of the big ten and worst in power five bad
I said Lynch and meant Neal...irrelevant in the end.

Agree that Hazell left a lot of work for his successor, but, stand by the fact there were some guys left to win with (for someone capable of winning, as, he was not)...hard to imagine that though.

Hazell recruited Blough, Sindelar, and, kept Etling...I was including Appleby (mistakenly in that he was a Hope recruit).

I said Lynch and meant Neal...irrelevant in the end.

Agree that Hazell left a lot of work for his successor, but, stand by the fact there were some guys left to win with (for someone capable of winning, as, he was not)...hard to imagine that though.

Hazell recruited Blough, Sindelar, and, kept Etling...I was including Appleby (mistakenly in that he was a Hope recruit).
Hazell left the worst Purdue football roster in my lifetime for Brohm.

Reactions: mathboy
You're trying too hard to make things binary.
Tracy Claeys/Jerry Kill and Kevin Wilson were closer to Nick Saban than Darrell Hazell. "Legends", no. Solid program standing, yes. Brohm inherited a program at the absolute bottom of the P5 world. A 0.5 on a scale of 10. Indiana, Minnesota, MSU were solid 4-6 range.

We don't need to re-litigate the offensive line issue, but IMO the retirements of the upperclassmen are the difference between 5-6 wins this year and 7+. Just a bit more OL serviceability probably would have been enough to swing the Minnesota game and we'd be having a different conversation right now. Doesn't make Brohm any better or worse of a coach.
I am ok with saying MSU was on solid ground...Minnesota...not sure...certainly closer/better than Purdue, but, not on par with MSU...not buying IU though, at all.

I can't argue the merits of the impact of the retirements, other than nobody that retired was a household name that I can recall either. It would have provided some experience, and, ideally some guys that were more physically capable (and prepared).

There are a dozen things that might have swung the Minnesota game, which is why it is so frustrating that they lost it, but, a serviceable OL would have been one thing that would have gone a long way in giving them a better opportunity to have indeed won the game.

As for Brohm...I am admittedly uncertain now...more so than at any other point...we will see what the rest of this year holds and then what happens next year...going to be really tough after losing the two best talents in the program...disappointing that he did not capitalize on their presence. I still have hope...maybe not as much faith.

Hazell left the worst Purdue football roster in my lifetime for Brohm.
This is just not true. Its one of those things that people accept as true because its repeated often enough. We were so bad under Hazell that we just assumed there was no talent. Ignore the recruiting rankings for a minute and look who was on the roster in 2017.

Offense
Purdue averaged 25 points per game
QB Blough, Sindilar
RB Knox, Jones, Fuller, Worship
WR Mohougnuo, Wright, Starks, Phillips, Anthrop, Zico
TE Hopkins, Herdman
Oline Purdue had 3 RBs average over 5 yards a carry (Knox and Fuller over 6)

I understand there were a couple transfers on the oline but that's about it. The rest were Hazell's guys accept maybe Wright (JC?)

Defense
Purdue only allowed 20 points per game which was 24th in the country against the 14th most difficult schedule. Of the top 20 tacklers only 2 were Brohm transfers.

Certainly not the best group ever assembled but it was a roster that was good enough to win 7 games and was arguably as talented as the roster we have today.

This is just not true. Its one of those things that people accept as true because its repeated often enough. We were so bad under Hazell that we just assumed there was no talent. Ignore the recruiting rankings for a minute and look who was on the roster in 2017.

Offense
QB Blough, Sindilar
TE Hopkins, Herdman

I understand there were a couple transfers on the oline but that's about it. The rest were Hazell's guys accept maybe Wright (JC?)

Defense
Purdue only allowed 20 points per game which was 24th in the country against the 14th most difficult schedule. Of the top 20 tacklers only 2 were Brohm transfers.

Certainly not the best group ever assembled but it was a roster that was good enough to win 7 games and was arguably as talented as the roster we have today.
It was bad. Zico was a juco.

there was no depth and there were holes everywhere.

brohm had to bring in another slew of transfers in 2017 too

Reactions: FirstDownB
The reason the 2017 team was able to win six games is it was a senior heavy team. Lots of 22 and 23 year olds that were physically and mentally mature. They were not especially talented as evidence by the lack of next level players.

I look at one thing - the bottom line and coach’s salary! And those who make excuses will say coaches are paid more now. Look at Hope’s pay when compared to his contemporaries verses what Brohm is paid. Brohm was given that salary to keep him from leaving. That pay raise came with expectations. And his accomplishments have been worse. We could have saved a lot of money and achieved that exact same results just keeping Hope rather than all the buyouts and increased salaries.

I can’t Believe people actually use Covid as an excuse for a bad recruiting year. Every school in the US had the same Covid issues. Did OSU also suffer a bad recruiting year as well? The reality is recruiting is based on winning and the last impression a recruit sees. We were blown away by Auburn. Recruits saw and remembered this and went elsewhere.

I also keep reading about the talent that was left. When Brohm arrived, players had the choice of staying or leaving. The players who stayed should be considered as Brohm’s players , not anybody else’s.
Brohm. Allen and fleck all arrived at the same time. You people all said we need to wit 4 years before comparing them. This is year 5 and you now want more years. It’s clear which direction each team is going. Of the three, Brohm has been by far the best recruiter. But he has been the worst at developing talent. And he has lost more 4 star recruits to transfers than the other two schools even signed.
I liked Brohm before he used Louisville to get his huge paycheck. For the money, he has not produced.
Im also tired of the Les miles comments. That suggestion was made over 5 years ago. The only people who keep bringing it up are the people who were not brave enough to offer their own preference. They just agreed Brohm was better choice than fleck. I’d also like to know what happened to all those fans predicting 9-3 seasons? If you’re going to bully and bad mouth people for making stupid comments, then look in the mirror and bad mouth yourself! Those 9-3 predictions look pretty stupid to me!
I will step forward and say year 5 was when Purdue would go 9-3 ish based on Brohm’s first year. I was all in on giving him the money not to leave for Louisville. I thought the recruiting was great early and would continue to get better and better with all the winning to come. I’m not sure Brohm can get Purdue to the level in the next couple years than I thought it could have been originally this year. Certainly the return on investment to date has been underwhelming.

I will step forward and say year 5 was when Purdue would go 9-3 ish based on Brohm’s first year. I was all in on giving him the money not to leave for Louisville. I thought the recruiting was great early and would continue to get better and better with all the winning to come. I’m not sure Brohm can get Purdue to the level in the next couple years than I thought it could have been originally this year. Certainly the return on investment to date has been underwhelming.
The increase in ticket sales he has brought justifies what he gets paid.

as for 9-3 in year 5, that is probably excessive. 7 wins given the dumpster fire hazell left seems reasonable.

Reactions: Inspector100
The increase in ticket sales he has brought justifies what he gets paid.

as for 9-3 in year 5, that is probably excessive. 7 wins given the dumpster fire hazell left seems reasonable.
Probably so with ticket sales thus far, but with wins not so much.

The reason the 2017 team was able to win six games is it was a senior heavy team. Lots of 22 and 23 year olds that were physically and mentally mature. They were not especially talented as evidence by the lack of next level players.
Nice try but we were 7-6 in 2017 and 6-7 in 2018. Not much of a drop off. Blough was a Junior (eligibilty), Sindilar (Sophomore) and Knox, Jones, Herdman, and Barron among others were not seniors eligibility wise in 2017.

Nice try but we were 7-6 in 2017 and 6-7 in 2018. Not much of a drop off. Blough was a Junior (eligibilty), Sindilar (Sophomore) and Knox, Jones, Herdman, and Barron among others were not seniors eligibility wise in 2017.
They were 22 year old juniors. At this point you’re either trolling or ignorant.

Offense
QB Blough, Sindilar
TE Hopkins, Herdman

Defense

It’s kinda true and kinda not…

you have a point in 2017.. because the players that hazell recruited early on were upper class men …

the gift of hazell began as the years progressed. Yeah, the 2017 team had some good players. The defensive line graduated and the next guys who were supposed to be there just weren’t there because the guy who hazell was supposed to recruit to replace those guys, save Lorenzo Neal for most of one season (before the injury when he never the same), just weren’t there.

or in 2019 when the 18 OL graduates and same thing.. by the time it was time to recruit would be replacements for 2019, nobody wanted to come to Purdue anymore.

I’m one of the few people here who doesn’t either think brohm can do no wrong or that he’s the worst. That has to be less than 25% of posters here. If most posters here took a truth serum they’d admit that they probably either loved tiller till the end and so they hated hope (also for not being Brock spack), so therefore they loved hazell and now hate brohm OR they wanted tiller GONE NOW at the end, therefore they loved hope, therefore they hated hazell and therefore they probably love brohm, will hate his replacement and love his replacements replacement.

****.. most people here can probably trace their 2021 QB preference to … whether they liked kirsch or Orton in 2002 lmao.

All that said.. I’m sorry, i do blame brohm for hiring diaco which he fixed and for sticking with Williams for as long as he did (which he must fix even if callaway is not to blame)… BUT I’m not gonna blame brohm for having to rely on Geo friggin Reviere and Kai Higgins.. if hazell did his job, regardless of 2017, Brennan thienemann is probably a highly regarded backup and special teams player and we have a player at least as good as Chris Jefferson until Marvin was ready.

Try to understand that if hazell had left players of Gelen Robinson’s caliber behind .. players who could have been relied on in 2018 and 19, well you do better those years and maybe you get your hands on a couple Andre Oben’s in those classes who DONT HAVE TO gain 50 lbs to play big ten ball, and now you’ve got the OL sufficient for us to break Minnesota’s back and laugh in larry from threes company’s face

Everything affects everything else. Hazell really screwed us and CHANGED OUR TRAJECTORY in 2018-20

It’s kinda true and kinda not…

you have a point in 2017.. because the players that hazell recruited early on were upper class men …

the gift of hazell began as the years progressed. Yeah, the 2017 team had some good players. The defensive line graduated and the next guys who were supposed to be there just weren’t there because the guy who hazell was supposed to recruit to replace those guys, save Lorenzo Neal for most of one season (before the injury when he never the same), just weren’t there.

or in 2019 when the 18 OL graduates and same thing.. by the time it was time to recruit would be replacements for 2019, nobody wanted to come to Purdue anymore.

I’m one of the few people here who doesn’t either think brohm can do no wrong or that he’s the worst. That has to be less than 25% of posters here. If most posters here took a truth serum they’d admit that they probably either loved tiller till the end and so they hated hope (also for not being Brock spack), so therefore they loved hazell and now hate brohm OR they wanted tiller GONE NOW at the end, therefore they loved hope, therefore they hated hazell and therefore they probably love brohm, will hate his replacement and love his replacements replacement.

****.. most people here can probably trace their 2021 QB preference to … whether they liked kirsch or Orton in 2002 lmao.

All that said.. I’m sorry, i do blame brohm for hiring diaco which he fixed and for sticking with Williams for as long as he did (which he must fix even if callaway is not to blame)… BUT I’m not gonna blame brohm for having to rely on Geo friggin Reviere and Kai Higgins.. if hazell did his job, regardless of 2017, Brennan thienemann is probably a highly regarded backup and special teams player and we have a player at least as good as Chris Jefferson until Marvin was ready.

Try to understand that if hazell had left players of Gelen Robinson’s caliber behind .. players who could have been relied on in 2018 and 19, well you do better those years and maybe you get your hands on a couple Andre Oben’s in those classes who DONT HAVE TO gain 50 lbs to play big ten ball, and now you’ve got the OL sufficient for us to break Minnesota’s back and laugh in larry from threes company’s face

Everything affects everything else. Hazell really screwed us and CHANGED OUR TRAJECTORY in 2018-20
What if I preferred orton and think both of them now are average, at best.

What if I preferred orton and think both of them now are average, at best.
I wasn’t talking about you.. but you can’t tell me there aren’t some people here, a good number, whose feelings about the next guy aren’t strongly bard in their feelings about the last guy

and I prefer Oconnell because they are both average to slightly above .. Oconnell Is just slightly less average. If he had feet like drew Brees and that OL he’d be really good

As of this week Danny Hope and Jeff Brohm have identical records at Purdue (22-27).
This whole line of reasoning is fallacious. Danny Hope’s teams routinely got their butts kicked, especially by teams like Wisconsin and Jerry Kill’s Minnesota teams. There were many more blowout losses.

Yes, Brohm has lost quite a few close games but we are much more competitive of a program under Brohm, game in, game out, than we were under Hope. That’s a fact.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
My post can be shortened to:

hazell left the cupboard bare, we just didn’t feel the effects of that until 2018
Then that is a recruiting issue for brohm. Hazell left the program and roster in horrible shape

I havent read the pages of drivel defending Hope but I’ll just say this. With Hope there were 3-4 Saturday’s every year where we knew the opponent could name their score. Brohm is obviously much more competitive than that over his tenure here. Doesn’t show up in the raw record but it means the product is far more watchable/entertaining than it was previously. Mostly full Ross Ade stands bear this out.

That said, no bowl this year or next the natives will get VERY restless

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT