ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly is a horrible coach and person, horrible.

Jul 18, 2013
Are you old enough to remember that Georgetown and North Carolina basketball national championship game, back when Michael Jordan was a freshmen. With the game on the line, and I think around 5 or 10 seconds left in the game and down one, Georgetown had the ball and guard Fred Brown just had an absolute brain fart and threw the pass right to NC player Jame Worthy, just killing Georgetown's chances and NC ran out the clock, He just panicked and threw the pass to the opposing team. But that's not what matters here. What matters is what happened after the game ended and NC began to celebrate its National Championship.

His player completely screwed up and John Thompson went right on the court and in full view of the all the TV cameras and hugged Fred Brown. He told Brown that he'd won a lot more game for Georgetown then he ever lost, so just forget about that pass. And Thompson made the same comment to the press after the game.

I have coached and I have yelled at players in the huddle and on the sidelines, and I've blistered players in the locker room. But, but in a situation like that with the game decided a good coach, a realistic coach absolutely must have his players' back, you have to !!! You can't publicly scapegoat a player for a loss, as a coach and as an adult, understanding person in charge of students, you just can't do that.

Well, let's look at Brian Kelly today.

Did you watch the end of the game where ND lost to NC State in the incredible rain. ND sucked the entire game, entire game. Their QB threw an interception on the NC States 8 yard line which was huge in the game. Well later in the game . . .

ND had 4th and 8 with a couple minutes to go at NC's 20 (what were ND's chances of getting that first down in that weather, pretty slim), there was a miscommunication between the center and the ND QB and the snap shot away, I think, through the QB's legs and ND's last chance (I said slim chance) to tie was over as the play ended and ND's offense came off the field.

As a coach and leader of young men, you have to absolutely keep it together there. You can't publicly embarrassed a player in that situation on a play that decides a game. You have to be better than that.

So what does does Brian Kelly do? He walks out onto the field as the center, # 53, is coming off the field, and Kelly bitches at him for, at least, 30 seconds but it seemed forever, the entire time the TV cameras are showing it. Just bitching in that poor player's face. Then another player walks up to the center and shakes his head and says something crappy-ass too. Kelly completely scapegoated that poor player. Was it the center's fault they had only scored 3 points all day? Did he throw the interception? Is it the center's fault that ND had already lost 3 other games this season.?

Then to make it worse, as NC State is running out the clock, after every play or two, the camera comes back and shows poor # 53 standing all by himself on the sidelines, further shaming that player, as if justifying Kelly behavior. Terrible, just terrible.

If I was the ND administration, I would be deeply ashamed of Kelly's behavior. If you understand anything about coaching and kids, that type of behavior is inexcusable.

Reactions: todd brewster
Kelly isn't mr nice guy that's for sure. Notre Dame is getting exactly what they wanted. The best decision Burke made was getting Notre Dame off Purdue's schedule. Too bad it wasn't Burke, but rather ND that made the decision. Too much of past recruiting was come here and you get to play ND. That's the attitude that got Purdue in its current position. But love watching teams giving it to Kelly and ND and all the trash they talk.

Reactions: EastCoastBoiler
Jeff Washburn mentioned him on Twitter. Kelly is a huge douche. I coached at the high school varsity level too as many on here have. You never treat a kid like that. He does it every game.

Never have had much respect for the dude or ND football but when your coach is always blaming others and throwing people under the bus for mistakes, maybe it's time to look into the mirror and realize you might be the problem and it's time to change it up. Granted the mental game mistakes aren't on him but these kids are 20yrs old, grow up asshole!

Reactions: nagemj02
I think he is a good coach who is having a bad season but I think he is jerk who I wouldn't send my kid to be part of his program in any capacity and I'd rather have Hazell as coach because I believe he is at least a decent human being.

i agree you don't embarrass him publicly but ...don't tap his helmet with a "it's alright" either. it's not ok.
the haze is all rah rah rah clapping when the boilers come off the field. don't react like kelly but the haze's reaction gets old .

kelly is a total jerk

i agree you don't embarrass him publicly but ...don't tap his helmet with a "it's alright" either. it's not ok.
the haze is all rah rah rah clapping when the boilers come off the field. don't react like kelly but the haze's reaction gets old .

kelly is a total jerk
Well said...Kelly is a total jerk!

Are you old enough to remember that Georgetown and North Carolina basketball national championship game, back when Michael Jordan was a freshmen. With the game on the line, and I think around 5 or 10 seconds left in the game and down one, Georgetown had the ball and guard Fred Brown just had an absolute brain fart and threw the pass right to NC player Jame Worthy, just killing Georgetown's chances and NC ran out the clock, He just panicked and threw the pass to the opposing team. But that's not what matters here. What matters is what happened after the game ended and NC began to celebrate its National Championship.

His player completely screwed up and John Thompson went right on the court and in full view of the all the TV cameras and hugged Fred Brown. He told Brown that he'd won a lot more game for Georgetown then he ever lost, so just forget about that pass. And Thompson made the same comment to the press after the game.

I have coached and I have yelled at players in the huddle and on the sidelines, and I've blistered players in the locker room. But, but in a situation like that with the game decided a good coach, a realistic coach absolutely must have his players' back, you have to !!! You can't publicly scapegoat a player for a loss, as a coach and as an adult, understanding person in charge of students, you just can't do that.

Well, let's look at Brian Kelly today.

Did you watch the end of the game where ND lost to NC State in the incredible rain. ND sucked the entire game, entire game. Their QB threw an interception on the NC States 8 yard line which was huge in the game. Well later in the game . . .

ND had 4th and 8 with a couple minutes to go at NC's 20 (what were ND's chances of getting that first down in that weather, pretty slim), there was a miscommunication between the center and the ND QB and the snap shot away, I think, through the QB's legs and ND's last chance (I said slim chance) to tie was over as the play ended and ND's offense came off the field.

As a coach and leader of young men, you have to absolutely keep it together there. You can't publicly embarrassed a player in that situation on a play that decides a game. You have to be better than that.

So what does does Brian Kelly do? He walks out onto the field as the center, # 53, is coming off the field, and Kelly bitches at him for, at least, 30 seconds but it seemed forever, the entire time the TV cameras are showing it. Just bitching in that poor player's face. Then another player walks up to the center and shakes his head and says something crappy-ass too. Kelly completely scapegoated that poor player. Was it the center's fault they had only scored 3 points all day? Did he throw the interception? Is it the center's fault that ND had already lost 3 other games this season.?

Then to make it worse, as NC State is running out the clock, after every play or two, the camera comes back and shows poor # 53 standing all by himself on the sidelines, further shaming that player, as if justifying Kelly behavior. Terrible, just terrible.

If I was the ND administration, I would be deeply ashamed of Kelly's behavior. If you understand anything about coaching and kids, that type of behavior is inexcusable.
I keep waiting for that guy to have a stroke on the sideline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT