ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith's Wear?

No one has provided a logical reason for Colvin not playing. Some say he’s not a point guard. Semantics. We just need another guard. Simple as that. Defensive liability or trying to catch up to game speed? That argument doesn’t hold water when you consider Painter started two freshman last year who struggled mightily on D at times.

Has nobody thought about what this team does in March if Braden gets tired or in foul trouble? Now imagine we also are playing from behind. We can’t expect Jones to play 40 minutes. Morton can’t score like Braden, but if Colvin is the other guard then we have athleticism and scoring to offset and keep the opposing defense honest. My point is we really only play 3 guards at two positions. It doesn’t take rocket science to realize you might want a back up plan for single elimination games.

We also have people on this board talking about how much he’ll contribute next year. That’s wonderful and he will. We are talking about winning a natty THIS year.
Colvin CANNOT be a primary ball handler right now, so reallly all he can play is the 3rd guard spot.

Reactions: tjreese
Back to the topic of the thread - only 26 minutes for Braden last night. Me likey.
4-4, 1-1, a double double and flirted again with a triple double. He will get one eventually!!!

But good to see his stroke was fine and yet again he controlled the game. Had a dumb TO, tryin to be fancy with a pass but that’s OK…as long as it doesn’t hurt us. But kid is a gamer and has until Sunday to rest. Hope we can get another road win and also get Colvin and Heide more mins!

Reactions: Schnelk
Good news is that I think it’s fair to say that Smith looked fantastic last night. He didn’t show any signs, in my opinion, of being tired or worn down.

I agree that there are times that Smith looks tired at the end of a game where he has barely come off of the court, but that is to be expected and I don’t see any reason to believe that it is carrying over from game to game. If anything, I think that the games where he does that are making him stronger in the face of adversity.
We know Braden is so important that many worry about that focal point many have about the tourney. Purdue does need a fresh Braden and as you said...some games are more taxing than others...some due to the style and some due to a previous game in addition. It is not just Braden, there are many posts fixated on the tourney that want to compare this or that they see today with what they believe were the reason (many times not plural) for Purdue losing in the past as though a simple problem was in play in the past and believe that same problem exists today from time to time. I know anything can happen when the ball is poorly tossed up, but this team is the most complete team Matt has had and can play different ways with some depth. This is a very good team

I love Myles and have been saying how great he is going to be. However, I am assuming there are things he isn’t doing that are up to painters standards in practice and in the game. He is often out of position on defense and can’t guard very well. I haven’t seen him rebound/go stick a hand in his man’a chest and box the guy out yet. Does he do that? If you allow players to do that and not hold them accountable…well you see what’s going on down in Bloomington.

But let’s go through the guard positions…

Braden is playing at such a high level right now and running the team better than any PG has in a looooong time…maybe ever, in Painters tenure. If he can keep this up the rest of the year and into the tourney, he will be on 2nd or 3rd team AA. In addition to this, Myles can’t handle the ball or run the team like Smith. So, he wouldn’t play in his spot. Which is where Morton has gained a few more mins during the game because he’s can handle the ball without turning it over and be solid with it. I don’t like him playing at all, but need to understand he’s in there to give Braden a rest and not let the game get out of hand with smith on the bench. He can’t shoot, as his confidence is not there. But he does offer good off ball defense and is good at denying the ball, but only so so on ball defense.

Lance is playing very well right now on both sides of the ball and is our best defender at guard. He is able to hit the second gear when driving to the hoop or guarding a guy. Myles has not shown either (yet) and it wouldn’t make sense to play Myles over Lance.

Loyer, while not the best defender, is in position for team defense. Loyer also has earned a right to play more and start as he is averaging 43% on 3 (like Colvin) on double the shots and 50% in conf play. Myles is 50% from FTs (only 8 all year) and Loyer is almost automatic. Loyer is rolling on offense and why would you reduce his mins to get him out of his groove?

Morton, we have gone over that he is the backup ball handler so that’s why he gets 5ish mins a game, but I do agree that Myles should get at least 2-3 mins of the mins of Morton’s when he isn’t in for Braden. However, you do have to make sure that Colvin is not on the floor with Loyer at the same time because they both are not great defenders.

In regards to Painter playing freshman last year at the 1 and 2…I mean he was forced to do that. Loyer and Smith were also better than DJJ and Newman.

In regards to your scenarios…

We haven’t really played from behind this year to where we needed to score quick, due to how the offense is set up with Zach. Maybe Colvin will play more if we need that fire power, but so far it hasn’t happened.
Braden also hasn’t been in fouls trouble yet, so we don’t know how we’d adjust. He’s been tired, but I think a tired Braden is still the best PG on the team. And jones doesn’t play 40, but come tourney time, if that’s what he has to do to have Purdue win, he will. Lots of starters on good teams play 32-36 mins a night.

I hope we can continue to get Myles more mins, as he provides that offensive spark and he’s not afraid of the moment. I love that he has the DGAF attitude and is going to get his shot up—him and Lance bring that like Carsen did. Have to hope he improves in those spots that Painter thinks need improving in practice and in the limited game action he gets.
Bottom line is that some are really worried that Myles is not improving since he is not playing much. Myles has improved a LOT with his on ball defense. He gets down in his stance and plays with effort. he got a bad foul I believe last night. Myles has improved in spite of some afraid he won't or hasn't. He went in around the 9 minute mark last night and I think went 3 for 3 behind the arc. He is a shooter adapting to an entirely different role on the team than what he was used to playing.

I can't comment on his off ball D, because I never really watched him away last night, but that is has been an issue in the past. I typically catch Matt and some players after the game on 96.5 and Matt made a comment about Myles. Basically Matt said "Myles is going to be fabulous for us" and that doesn't sound like someone that isn't aware of Myles potential, but also grounded in some issues Myles has at this time...coupled with some good players in front of him at this point.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
We know Braden is so important that many worry about that focal point many have about the tourney. Purdue does need a fresh Braden and as you said...some games are more taxing than others...some due to the style and some due to a previous game in addition. It is not just Braden, there are many posts fixated on the tourney that want to compare this or that they see today with what they believe were the reason (many times not plural) for Purdue losing in the past as though a simple problem was in play in the past and believe that same problem exists today from time to time. I know anything can happen when the ball is poorly tossed up, but this team is the most complete team Matt has had and can play different ways with some depth. This is a very good team
I think the BTT was detrimental last year. We looked exhausted, especially the guards, by Sunday.

Would honestly not mind a Saturday exit, or even Friday. Braden or Edey might have to come down with a case of clammy hands for that to happen though.

I think the BTT was detrimental last year. We looked exhausted, especially the guards, by Sunday.

Would honestly not mind a Saturday exit, or even Friday. Braden or Edey might have to come down with a case of clammy hands for that to happen though.
I asked a question in a previous post someplace and I truly don't know the answer. I'm unaware of any player talking about getting beat in the NCAA tourney as to being tired as a result of the BTT. It could be true, and never stated, and I know that...and it might not be true? I know specific reasons why Purdue lost the last 3 and unsure I would list fatigue as the reason...especially the two before last year.

I know for a few years Matt's team has won the first game after the BTT with whatever side effects of fatigue that were present. All the Purdue players and coaches want to win every game and so if they get beat it in the BTT will not be due to not caring. That said, I personally would have no issue NOT having a tourney, but if it is there Purdue will want to win it.

Back to the topic of the thread - only 26 minutes for Braden last night. Me likey.
He is 7 assists away from his total last year and 61 away from the all time season record of 207….he avgs 5.5 the rest of the way in the regular season and he will get there and if he stays at his avg of 7, he will beat it by 20. Doesn’t account for the BTT or actual tourney.

Keep it going, Peaky B!

I asked a question in a previous post someplace and I truly don't know the answer. I'm unaware of any player talking about getting beat in the NCAA tourney as to being tired as a result of the BTT.
They aren’t ones to make excuses, but there’s no question some of them(especially Braden) looked a step slow by Sunday.

Then you turn around and play a team that is quicker than you to begin with…

They aren’t ones to make excuses, but there’s no question some of them(especially Braden) looked a step slow by Sunday.

Then you turn around and play a team that is quicker than you to begin with…
Braden was tired Sunday. 36 intense minutes against IU and 39 minutes up and down the court they way he goes could make anyone tired at the end of the game. Still, we have no idea if fatigue has played a role in the NCAA tourney as a result of the BTT. It may, but we don't know that. We shall see how Matt plays the BTT to know what Matt thinks

Braden was tired Sunday. 36 intense minutes against IU and 39 minutes up and down the court they way he goes could make anyone tired at the end of the game. Still, we have no idea if fatigue has played a role in the NCAA tourney as a result of the BTT. It may, but we don't know that. We shall see how Matt plays the BTT to know what Matt thinks
Sorry - Was referring to Sunday of the BTT. That Penn State game was a slog.

Agree to disagree on whether or not fatigue played a role in the NCAA last year. I think it did but obviously cannot prove it.

As tuned in as Matt is to NBA analytics, I am a bit surprised we haven’t seen any NBA style “load management” yet.

Sorry - Was referring to Sunday of the BTT. That Penn State game was a slog.

Agree to disagree on whether or not fatigue played a role in the NCAA last year. I think it did but obviously cannot prove it.

As tuned in as Matt is to NBA analytics, I am a bit surprised we haven’t seen any NBA style “load management” yet.
Again as I already said in a post to you. There is nothing to agree or disagree with in what I said. I have stated that I do NOT know that it has. If you believe it has...good for you. Who am I to say you are wrong? If you changed your stance and said it had no effect...good for you. Again, who am I to say you are wrong? I'm only stating that your concern is a legitimate concern, but there is conflicting data for such. Nobody said you were wrong or right. If you say you really don't know...then you agree with me

Again as I already said in a post to you. There is nothing to agree or disagree with in what I said. I have stated that I do NOT know that it has. If you believe it has...good for you. Who am I to say you are wrong? If you changed your stance and said it had no effect...good for you. Again, who am I to say you are wrong? I'm only stating that your concern is a legitimate concern, but there is conflicting data for such. Nobody said you were wrong or right. If you say you really don't know...then you agree with me

“Still, we have no idea if fatigue has played a role in the NCAA tourney as a result of the BTT.”

I think it 100% did. So we agree to disagree.

“Still, we have no idea if fatigue has played a role in the NCAA tourney as a result of the BTT.”

I think it 100% did. So we agree to disagree.
Good in earlier poss you said you believed that but wasn't sure. Now we do disagree in that I'm not 100% sure.

Bottom line is that some are really worried that Myles is not improving since he is not playing much. Myles has improved a LOT with his on ball defense.
I love this post. The most ignorant thing I hear from basketball fans (not stupid just uninformed) is that players only get better if they play in games.

The level of coaching in practice that Myles is receiving at Purdue is light years ahead of anything he has received in the past on any consistent basis. He wants to get better and isn’t afraid to work. I’m still not certain that he won’t have an impact in games before the end of the year. If that happens, it will be because he gets better in practice and watching film and feels confident in what he needs to do within the team framework on both end of the floor

I love this post. The most ignorant thing I hear from basketball fans (not stupid just uninformed) is that players only get better if they play in games.

The level of coaching in practice that Myles is receiving at Purdue is light years ahead of anything he has received in the past on any consistent basis. He wants to get better and isn’t afraid to work. I’m still not certain that he won’t have an impact in games before the end of the year. If that happens, it will be because he gets better in practice and watching film and feels confident in what he needs to do within the team framework on both end of the floor
Here is my view on Myles. He will be a very good player for Purdue...sometime. He has the ability to flip a close game...either way and I'm unsure many understand it can happen in wins and losses. His on ball defense has improved a lot. His concentration away from the ball can get better, but we are talking about a mental side and he is a freshman. His on ball or physical abilities help him on the ball improve as well as his effort. He has a nice stroke and can put the ball in the basket. His historical playing on offense has allowed him to dribble as long as needed to get his shot. Purdue runs a lot of sets or plays and those are based upon timing and quick decisions and play. That is not a strength right now for Myles and so the team play sometimes get hindered or slowed down with the ball too long in his hands.

Matt has tried to take advantage of his shooting by putting him on the baseline most of the season. Now we are seeing him get the ball towards the top more and not necessarily to shoot it, but to engage in play outside of just shooting and so I see a bit more trust there.

What I haven't seen and what Matt does not do...unless he has a dominant 5 man typically is some isolation. He tried to isolate Zach with some spacing and did that with Haas as well. You don't see him clear out the court for one on one where someone can drive the ball...perhaps with a defender being in foul trouble. This is were Myles could be valuable under the right circumstances. If Purdue somewhere down the line for some reason is really struggling to score to the point that Matt can win it in the last possession (and again Purdue on the whole struggling...maybe Zach on the bench?). Then Myles playing a bit of ISO ball with an anticipated less defensive player (little scouting on Myles) where he can take two or three dribbles and get to his spot...levitate and stroke it could be another nice usage of Myles. I haven't given up on Myles getting more minutes the last third of this season. I don't see him being the key to a long NCAA run, but I do see him possessing the innate ability to be of help in that run.

Here is my view on Myles. He will be a very good player for Purdue...sometime. He has the ability to flip a close game...either way and I'm unsure many understand it can happen in wins and losses. His on ball defense has improved a lot. His concentration away from the ball can get better, but we are talking about a mental side and he is a freshman. His on ball or physical abilities help him on the ball improve as well as his effort. He has a nice stroke and can put the ball in the basket. His historical playing on offense has allowed him to dribble as long as needed to get his shot. Purdue runs a lot of sets or plays and those are based upon timing and quick decisions and play. That is not a strength right now for Myles and so the team play sometimes get hindered or slowed down with the ball too long in his hands.

Matt has tried to take advantage of his shooting by putting him on the baseline most of the season. Now we are seeing him get the ball towards the top more and not necessarily to shoot it, but to engage in play outside of just shooting and so I see a bit more trust there.

What I haven't seen and what Matt does not do...unless he has a dominant 5 man typically is some isolation. He tried to isolate Zach with some spacing and did that with Haas as well. You don't see him clear out the court for one on one where someone can drive the ball...perhaps with a defender being in foul trouble. This is were Myles could be valuable under the right circumstances. If Purdue somewhere down the line for some reason is really struggling to score to the point that Matt can win it in the last possession (and again Purdue on the whole struggling...maybe Zach on the bench?). Then Myles playing a bit of ISO ball with an anticipated less defensive player (little scouting on Myles) where he can take two or three dribbles and get to his spot...levitate and stroke it could be another nice usage of Myles. I haven't given up on Myles getting more minutes the last third of this season. I don't see him being the key to a long NCAA run, but I do see him possessing the innate ability to be of help in that run.
Very well said. I agree and I think he will have the ability to help us in a game during March that can help propel us to the next round. Hope he will be ready.

Don't give me the defensive liability argument. Loyer started as a freshman and this year gets tons of minutes while still being weak on the defensive end.
There's a big difference between a guy understanding the defensive schemes and being physically unable to contain his man on D. Loyer likely understands the defensive concepts better and occasionally gets burned by better athletes. I feel like that's less of a liability than a guy who doesn't quite grasp the concepts and creates breakdowns that can affect what everyone else on D is doing.

He came in when we weren’t up that much and hit a 3 when no one else was hitting. Hope he sees more time during Feb
It will be interesting to see What Myles does over the summer as well as the last of this season. He so far is relegated to spot shooting whether in the half or transition. I did think I saw him off a screen weeks ago.

I think we will see a more up and down game next year and that should be an advantage to quicker players "if" all else is the same. Right now we have a freshman that rarely gets mentioned and has been great for a freshman and that is Cam who plays very well in an uptempo game. Cam is well ahead on D for a first year player and should play well in an up tempo game next year. Hopefully Myles works enough to play a 2 or 3.

This team next year can be great if Caleb takes a step forward on O. He too runs the court well and may get better on O with more minutes. How important is that to Caleb?

Yeah, the coaches know it is a lot of minutes. Still, all the players want to win the game at the moment. There are no promises of the future...just of the moment. Coaches and players value winning the Big, the Big Tourney and the NCAA and take them one at a time. Tired or not it is going to take a horrible game for Purdue to not get by the first two opponents in the tourney. This team is NOT limited in how they can score like the previous two no matter how tired a player may be.
here is a bit from Braden talking about Zach. Braden was a bit surprised he took that shot since Purdue was only up 20. This should put in perspective a players perspective on whether a game is truly safe or not.

He came in when we weren’t up that much and hit a 3 when no one else was hitting. Hope he sees more time during Feb

Yep - on the break from Smitty, IIRC - @ 29-19 to extend to 13. From the right wing. That's about when Purdue really started to take control for good.

8fjnb2.gif

Do you recall Lee Rose and Scooby? THAT was Scooby's job. ;) Mechanics have to be pretty good since there is no rhythm to get in the flow
Before my time. I started watching around 83-84.

I’d say mechanics and confidence are the 2 key requirements to be on off the bench gunner. Myles seems to have both covered.

Do you recall Lee Rose and Scooby? THAT was Scooby's job. ;) Mechanics have to be pretty good since there is no rhythm to get in the flow

Mike "Scooby" Scearce, who also played two seasons under Keady. He was fun to watch......had a big game against Indiana his last year - made that one really enjoyable as we gave it to Knight and Blab all game. :)

Reactions: pubill
Before my time. I started watching around 83-84.

I’d say mechanics and confidence are the 2 key requirements to be on off the bench gunner. Myles seems to have both covered.
always confidence and mechanics not only helps with confidence due to increased success, but may not have as many shots to get it going. Myles knows he can shoot as does his teammates. I don't remember Scooby's mechanics much other than I think he had a lot of arch???

Hey oh.....what am I? a freakin library? you dirty rat bastard, TJ.....you think I'm just going to this for free out of the goodness of my freakin heart? ......read this.....badabing..... zooom....

I don't know.....had ya goin there.....a little bit.....
rotfl.gif

Ds5lLa.gif

Hey oh.....what am I? a freakin library? you dirty rat bastard, TJ.....you think I'm just going to this for free out of the goodness of my freakin heart? ......read this.....badabing..... zooom....

I don't know.....had ya goin there.....a little bit.....
rotfl.gif

Ds5lLa.gif
I recall some things, but those things I forget I don't remember. ;) Not sure if Scooby played much for Gene and was used more by Lee or I just recall some things that were a significant emotional event? You also have an uncanny way of gathering up data VERY quickly and so ...you are like a library...modernized!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT