ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith's Wear?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Talked to my Dad today. He's been watching Purdue since the 50's. He was very concerned about Braden's minutes. Said kids still young. Claimed that's why his shot was off yesterday as he was getting worn down. I said one game, let's not get carried away until it's several.

Course some of it is not the minutes, but how hard you have to work in those minutes. The rest is how hard your coach pushes in practice. Maybe practice is the issue?

Still, I said Nonsense to Smith getting too much PT.

So I looked @ the minutes of PG of top 20 teams. On high end....
Creighton, 35.9 min
KS 35.5 min
Utah State 34.2 min
UConn 33 min
Marquette 32.5 min
Purdue 32.3

Average of ranked teams about 30.5 But the low 6 in top 20 were around 26-28 mins.

Anyway your thoughts.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Talked to my Dad today. He's been watching Purdue since the 50's. He was very concerned about Braden's minutes. Said kids still young. Claimed that's why his shot was off yesterday as he was getting worn down. I said one game, let's not get carried away until it's several.

Course some of it is not the minutes, but how hard you have to work in those minutes. The rest is how hard your coach pushes in practice.

Still, I said not nonsense to Smith getting too much PT.

Creighton, 35.9 min
KS 35.5 min
Utah State 34.2 min
UConn 33 min
Marquette 32.5 min
Purdue 32.3

Average of ranked teams about 30.5 But the low 6 in top 20 were around 26-28 mins.

Gotta rest him as much as possible in blowouts. Also depends how intense practices are. At the time of year where practices should be lighter than beginning of year as the wear and tear of the season starts to catch up. Was a huge problem on the 12-13 Indiana team where they were flat out wore down by the gauntlet of that seasons Big Ten and intense practices.

Well, he is still dropping dimes like crazy. Might be something for Painter to consider during practice as I would expect practices must be pretty grueling. Hopefully playing at home on Tuesday he will rediscover his shot. Also agree with resting him a little more when our lead is big. Can anyone tell Painter our opinion? Lol.

Well, he is still dropping dimes like crazy. Might be something for Painter to consider during practice as I would expect practices must be pretty grueling. Hopefully playing at home on Tuesday he will rediscover his shot. Also agree with resting him a little more when our lead is big. Can anyone tell Painter our opinion? Lol.

Imo practices should not be gruelling this time of year. But what do I know?

Challenge with resting him with big leads is we really don’t have a back up PG. I mean Jones and some Morton but the don’t run the offense as well. Good news, we got 2 guys coming in next year.

Reactions: SKYDOG

Course some of it is not the minutes, but how hard you have to work in those minutes. The rest is how hard your coach pushes in practice. Maybe practice is the issue?

Creighton, 35.9 min
KS 35.5 min
Utah State 34.2 min
UConn 33 min
Marquette 32.5 min
Purdue 32.3

I’ve said multiple times on here, it’s my biggest concern with this team - he got worn down last year and it looks like it’s happening again. 39 minutes yesterday is crazy to me.

He’s averaging 36 minutes a game in January so far.

That would be my guess, team leadership knows their horses but I could see giving them a long break if Purdue gets up on UM.

I’ve said multiple times on here, it’s my biggest concern with this team - he got worn down last year and it looks like it’s happening again. 39 minutes yesterday is crazy to me.

He’s averaging 36 minutes a game in January so far.

Wow. Did not realize that. Still imagine the issue is more about practice than game minutes? But what do I know. Smith is key come March.

Course some of it is not the minutes, but how hard you have to work in those minutes. The rest is how hard your coach pushes in practice.

Creighton, 35.9 min
KS 35.5 min
Utah State 34.2 min
UConn 33 min
Marquette 32.5 min
Purdue 32.3

I think it is an individual thing. Each player is different and averages looking at minutes only "might" be inaccurate. We know physically, that males continue to get stronger until 29 or it used to be that way and so each individual, and each is different, probably gets stronger physically (stamina as well) as his age increases in college. This doesn't mean that player A is stronger than player B since he is older. It does mean that whatever inherent physical attributes player A has, it will most likely increase the next year. The style of play as well as the oppositions style are also variables. Types of food, quality of sleep (mental and physical) are also in play. Certainly teams more geared to dribble drive will have 4...maybe five sharing in the minutes that Braden for example has the ball and physically active. Measuring fatigue by minutes played may be the only metric available, but accuracy of that measure and not knowing the effect of various variables that definitely would be included in a hypothesis of study exist.

Your father may be exactly right? However, I do not know that for certain. Certainly a shot typically gets worse with fatigue as does many times decisions. Defense may show it as well as does tugging on the shorts.

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all" has been attributed to Patton AND Vince Lombardi (who I first read it). A snippet from https://www.socratic-method.com/quote-meanings/vince-lombardi-fatigue-makes-cowards-of-us-all

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all. These five simple words uttered by Vince Lombardi, one of the greatest football coaches of all time, carry a profound and timeless message that resonates beyond the realm of sports. At first glance, this quote may appear straightforward, suggesting that exhaustion weakens our resolve, courage, and mental faculties. Undeniably, when our energy levels are depleted, our physical and mental capabilities can be hindered. However, delving deeper into this concept, let us explore an unexpected philosophical perspective that sheds new light on the significance of Lombardi's quote. In our fast-paced, modern world, fatigue has become an omnipresent companion. Whether it is the pressure to succeed, the demands of our personal lives, or the constant connectivity that technology affords, exhaustion often lurks just around the corner. Lombardi's quote serves as a stern reminder that when we are tired, our ability to confront challenges and face adversity diminishes. Fatigue saps our willpower, leaving us vulnerable and more inclined to take the path of least resistance."

It may be coincidence but while in the Iowa locker Matt is talking about embracing adversity and to enjoy competition and that the significance of having a difficult challenge is the greatness offered in succeeding against it. Does Matt sense mental and physical fatigue? I don't know. He follows it up saying if it were easy...everyone would do it.

None of us have any idea of any fatigue "if" Braden is feeling it and he certainly is not one to want to come out...even if tired. This is between Braden and the coaches and where honestly is crucial and if able Matt needs to rest his main players, but yet still keep them sharp. Still, the first goal, in spite of some not in charge in winning, is the Big season, and the second goal is winning the Big Tourney, and of course the one the media and many others have is winning the NCAA Tourney

None of us have any idea of any fatigue "if" Braden is feeling it and he certainly is not one to want to come out...even if tired. This is between Braden and the coaches and where honestly is crucial and if able Matt needs to rest his main players, but yet still keep them sharp. Still, the first goal, in spite of some not in charge is winning, is the Big season and the second goal is winning the Big Tourney and of course the one the media and many others have is winning the NCAA Tourney
I would disagree. He DEFINITELY was worn down the latter part of last season.

And having the team in peak condition in March should be the #1 goal. If playing Braden 36 minutes a game leaves him worn down in March, like he was last season, I think that’s bad strategy.

I would disagree. He DEFINITELY was worn down the latter part of last season.

And having the team in peak condition in March should be the #1 goal. If playing Braden 36 minutes a game leaves him worn down in March, like he was last season, I think that’s bad strategy.
Whoa you are off and running in a different direction. First, I understand the context to be about this year, not last year. Second, if he played the same minutes this year as last, he would be in better shape this year most likely due to 1) being older 2)having lance to defend the PG on teh other team and help handling the ball.

What you should have noticed is that I said it was an individual thing, and I, nor you, know how he is doing fatigue wise. Iowa running and following a more mental fatigue against IU may be in play at this time. I also want him in peak form every game, but I can guarantee you that the players all care about winning in the order I stated. They are not looking at only winning in March. I posted in this forum months ago that I wished that Braden would play between 28/32 minutes a game. There is no strategy in play of desiring Braden to play 36 minutes a game. Nobody wants that...except maybe Braden?

Don't you think if the players and coaches didn't share in the goals I mentioned and only cared about March...there would be a lot of things different with a lot of minutes for different people. Winning rings is a pretty huge thing for the players as well, and they will focus on the next game...not in March.

Creighton, 35.9 min
KS 35.5 min
Utah State 34.2 min
UConn 33 min
Marquette 32.5 min
Purdue 32.3

And not all players recover as quickly from a grueling game or practice. Everyone has different metabolism and healing rate. So Painter will need to pay more attention to Branden, specifically, than he does to the other top point guards for comparison.

Whoa you are off and running in a different direction. First, I understand the context to be about this year, not last year. Second, if he played the same minutes this year as last, he would be in better shape this year most likely due to 1) being older 2)having lance to defend the PG on teh other team and help handling the ball.

What you should have noticed is that I said it was an individual thing, and I, nor you, know how he is doing fatigue wise. Iowa running and following a more mental fatigue against IU may be in play at this time. I also want him in peak form every game, but I can guarantee you that the players all care about winning in the order I stated. They are not looking at only winning in March. I posted in this forum months ago that I wished that Braden would play between 28/32 minutes a game. There is no strategy in play of desiring Braden to play 36 minutes a game. Nobody wants that...except maybe Braden?

Don't you think if the players and coaches didn't share in the goals I mentioned and only cared about March...there would be a lot of things different with a lot of minutes for different people. Winning rings is a pretty huge thing for the players as well, and they will focus on the next game...not in March.
You had said none of us would know if he’s fatigued. I disagreed, based on the fact that it was obvious, to many, that he was fatigued last year, by the last month or so of the season.

And he seems to have a little less juice in the last few games. Which coincides with the heavy minutes in January.

Hope I’m wrong.

He's 20 years old and a high DI athlete. We only play 2 games a week. What's the problem here?
And not all players recover as quickly from a grueling game or practice. Everyone has different metabolism and healing rate. So Painter will need to pay more attention to Branden, specifically, than he does to the other top point guards for comparison.

I agree with Ron, it is not about the games, so few of those and this is what I told my Dad.

But more on how Smith is managed in practice. Over time on here it has definitely been said that CMP believes in going hard in practice & rewards those who practice hard with PT. So that would be indicative of rough hard practices. But Smith has earned his spot, and really is all we have there @ a true pg. I do hope practice is managed to keep Smith fresh as Andy is saying.

You had said none of us would know if he’s fatigued. I disagreed, based on the fact that it was obvious, to many, that he was fatigued last year, by the last month or so of the season.

And he seems to have a little less juice in the last few games. Which coincides with the heavy minutes in January.

Hope I’m wrong.
WE don't know. We can suspect such and could be right. Last year he was fatigued due to all he had to do (and part of that was the offense). Last year is different than this year for the two main reasons I listed. That doesn't mean he couldn't be fatigued, just that he has some things going for him to make it better than last year. Minutes as I stated is not the most accurate way of measuring fatigue, although maybe the only way and there are a lot of things that could contribute to fatigue as I stated that are mental. I imagine a lot of us felt fatigued after finals...and that was all mental. Perhaps there are more, but that was off the top of my head.

The IU game as I mentioned probably had a bit of wear on many due to the mental stress...knowing what happened the last couple of years and losing poise during the game. Players get reminded about that game through the year I'm sure. Then you follow that with another road game at Iowa and you have an up and down game that no doubt added physically to any fatigue that may have existed.

Nobody wants any player fatigued and I personally would prefer less minutes than 36. However, we are on the outside speculating about fatigue. This is why I said it was an individual thing between Braden (who probably want to play and still gets in the gym) and the coaches. Matt doesn't want Braden fatigued. Matt knows how valuable Braden is as does all the team. Braden was the second most important player last year as well. If this forum were 100% in agreement or 100% disagreement on whether Braden is fatigued it makes no difference. Nobody here calls any shots and our opinions on either side are best guesses. That doesn't mean the guesses are wrong, but does mean they are best guesses based on an average that may not be an accurate measure (both favorable and not) for many reasons that appear to not be considered by many.

If you believe Braden is getting worn out, do you not think that at least one coach sees what you see? If they see it (believing he is worn out in a particular game) and believe he is getting worn out at this time of the year...do we not believe they are trying hard to find some rest for him? Then again, maybe they don't think he is getting worn out...or maybe they are just trying win one game at a time, fully aware of the minutes he is playing and hopeful that the next game allows more rest and not getting too far ahead.

WE don't know. We can suspect such and could be right. Last year he was fatigued due to all he had to do (and part of that was the offense). Last year is different than this year for the two main reasons I listed. That doesn't mean he couldn't be fatigued, just that he has some things going for him to make it better than last year. Minutes as I stated is not the most accurate way of measuring fatigue, although maybe the only way and there are a lot of things that could contribute to fatigue as I stated that are mental. I imagine a lot of us felt fatigued after finals...and that was all mental. Perhaps there are more, but that was off the top of my head.

The IU game as I mentioned probably had a bit of wear on many due to the mental stress...knowing what happened the last couple of years and losing poise during the game. Players get reminded about that game through the year I'm sure. Then you follow that with another road game at Iowa and you have an up and down game that no doubt added physically to any fatigue that may have existed.

Nobody wants any player fatigued and I personally would prefer less minutes than 36. However, we are on the outside speculating about fatigue. This is why I said it was an individual thing between Braden (who probably want to play and still gets in the gym) and the coaches. Matt doesn't want Braden fatigued. Matt knows how valuable Braden is as does all the team. Braden was the second most important player last year as well. If this forum were 100% in agreement or 100% disagreement on whether Braden is fatigued it makes no difference. Nobody here calls any shots and our opinions on either side are best guesses. That doesn't mean the guesses are wrong, but does mean they are best guesses based on an average that may not be an accurate measure (both favorable and not) for many reasons that appear to not be considered by many.

If you believe Braden is getting worn out, do you not think that at least one coach sees what you see? If they see it (believing he is worn out in a particular game) and believe he is getting worn out at this time of the year...do we not believe they are trying hard to find some rest for him? Then again, maybe they don't think he is getting worn out...or maybe they are just trying win one game at a time, fully aware of the minutes he is playing and hopeful that the next game allows more rest and not getting too far ahead.
Agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree.
That is fine. That is part of a forum. There was a lot I said and so I'm assuming that disagreeing means you know that he is fatigued. Otherwise agree to disagree states no particulars out of a list of particulars...other than you know he was fatigued which is fine if that is what you disagree with

Last edited:
One of the best sports movie I have seen is Secretariat. The trainer, played by John M., decides against conventional wisdom/theories/practices and pushes his horse to greater height.

Been my pet peeve the entire time with Painter. He needs to play Colvin and Heide some now to get them up to speed. I know you will say he has to play defense first but Loyer is a defensive liability as well. I’m not saying replacing anyone I’m saying we will need the athleticism in the tournament and they won’t be ready. Playing in games is a different animal than practice

Reactions: Lilsweet
I believe that the last couple games he has looked a bit more fatigued than normal. Certainly see his shot is not falling at the rate he is used to (based on reactions to made shots). It would be nice to continue to see jones taking the ball up and even get additional minutes from Morton when possible. This alone will allow for Braden to get extended rests.

Even with his shooting woes, he has been great as the PG/General on the floor. Decision making is high, and so is his ability to get the ball to his teammates in advantageous positions. Cutting minutes may help, also with the traveling as of late he may not have had as much recovery time.

With that being said the coaches and trainers know how to build workouts on workload and intended peaks within the season.

One of the best sports movie I have seen is Secretariat. The trainer, played by John M., decides against conventional wisdom/theories/practices and pushes his horse to greater height.
It was a very good movie. I don't know enough about it to know what was and was not embellished. That said a guy that was one of my best friends growing up and who I was going to room with before he dropped out of Purdue had the mare of Smarty Jones (assuming you "might" be a horse race fan) which was a descendant of Secretariat. I've posted about Brent and his brother John who was partners with Dan Lasater (described as bond daddy for Bill Clinton) in the past. A little diddy for any that care on Brent and the horses. I have a lot of stories about him that his wife doesn't want to hear. ;)

Last edited:
That is fine. That is part of a forum. There was a lot I said and so I'm assuming that disagreeing means you know that he is fatigued. Otherwise agree to disagree states no particulars out of a list of particulars...other than you know he was fatigued which is fine if that is what you disagree with
Just saying many of us could visually see him lose some of his burst during the latter part of last season. That I am 100% certain about.

And it seems to me that he’s slowly going down that road again in the last few games.
But I am NOT 100% certain about that, yet.

Just saying many of us could visually see him lose some of his burst during the latter part of last season. That I am 100% certain about.

And it seems to me that he’s slowly going down that road again in the last few games.
But I am NOT 100% certain about that, yet.
Then you don't disagree...you agree with me. I never once said I knew whether he was fatigued or not in the season rather than any particular game. Had I not thought he was tired last year I wouldn't have posted about the 28/32 minutes months ago or how Lance will make a difference relative to fatigue that I also posted months ago. This year however, I don't know where he is. He was tired in the Iowa game for certain as many were, but I don't know where his body currently is and admitted such many times in what I wrote.

but I can guarantee you that the players all care about winning in the order I stated.
True. Braden himself has said he doesn't like NOT being on the court during a game, and coach knows he doesn't. The issue may be how indestructible every 20 something male in the world has thought they were at that age, but at this level I'd say everyone in the organization is keeping a pretty close eye on things. Having said that, BT play is a meat grinder, and whether you come out as sausage or baloney doesn't change the fact you've been ground.

True. Braden himself has said he doesn't like NOT being on the court during a game, and coach knows he doesn't. The issue may be how indestructible every 20 something male in the world has thought they were at that age, but at this level I'd say everyone in the organization is keeping a pretty close eye on things. Having said that, BT play is a meat grinder, and whether you come out as sausage or baloney doesn't change the fact you've been ground.
Yeah, the coaches know it is a lot of minutes. Still, all the players want to win the game at the moment. There are no promises of the future...just of the moment. Coaches and players value winning the Big, the Big Tourney and the NCAA and take them one at a time. Tired or not it is going to take a horrible game for Purdue to not get by the first two opponents in the tourney. This team is NOT limited in how they can score like the previous two no matter how tired a player may be.

Prefer sausage to baloney, although I will admit I miss the fried baloney sandwiches my father would make for us on Saturdays when my mother was shopping and at the library. Of course, this was after several hours of raking leaves, mowing the lawn, or shoveling snow.......so we earned those meals. :)

I digress, sorry. It is a delicate balance, as Smith is perhaps even more of a barometer than Zach Edey......I usually watch him on the defensive end to get a sense of the fatigue, although it certainly affects him on the offensive end......it's not looking quite as precipitous as last year yet, and I think the Boilers are better positioned this year.....he is at least still taking the shots, which is half the battle. At the RAC on Sunday will be another interesting test because we know Rutgers is going to get physical.......I mean real physical.

He's 20 years old and a high DI athlete. We only play 2 games a week. What's the problem here?

I tend to agree with this. If 3 mins a game so 6 mins a week in playing time makes a difference to his fatigue, probably needs better conditioning.

Now I dont think that is the case, and I think Smith will be fine. Freshman wall is more about mental than anything else, but some physically fatigued too. But Smith is not a freshman, he is a Sophomore, and his game play has shown zero Sophomore slump, so I think we are fine.

But Smith had all of the spring semester and summer to work on conditioning as opposed to last year where freshman come in the fall which is part of the freshman wall.

Last edited:
Agree - I'd like to see Colvin get more minutes and ball hadling responsibility. A few minutes here and there will make a big differnce come tourney time.
100% agree. Colvin has handles and he is also a scoring threat. I really don't understand why he doesn't play in more games. Don't give me the defensive liability argument. Loyer started as a freshman and this year gets tons of minutes while still being weak on the defensive end. We need another strong guard in the rotation that can handle ball pressure to rest Smith. Give him the experience now. So him playing more minutes means we win a few games by a smaller margin. Who cares. A win is a win. Painter had no problem giving two freshman all the minutes they could handle last year. Someone please explain why Colvin doesn't get the same treatment? We WILL need him in the tourney.

• Wow
Reactions: boilerzz
Yeah, the coaches know it is a lot of minutes. Still, all the players want to win the game at the moment. There are no promises of the future...just of the moment. Coaches and players value winning the Big, the Big Tourney and the NCAA and take them one at a time. Tired or not it is going to take a horrible game for Purdue to not get by the first two opponents in the tourney. This team is NOT limited in how they can score like the previous two no matter how tired a player may be.
Nope. Maybe the 1st game, but not the 2nd game. Assuming we are a #1 seed, that 2nd game against the 8/9 seed can be very difficult and we would not have to play "horrible" to lose it.

Nope. Maybe the 1st game, but not the 2nd game. Assuming we are a #1 seed, that 2nd game against the 8/9 seed can be very difficult and we would not have to play "horrible" to lose it.
I'm looking at the first game being rather easy with some rest and beating a mid to late 30s not being harder. I just think this team has so many ways of scoring that it is no longer a two dimensional attack and a mid to late 30s team on a neutral court should take a really bad game by Purdue. The team doesn't have to have Zach for that game, but if he is playing he is always an outlet and threat to score when everything else fails.

This team has 4 good perimeter shooters (Fletch, Braden,Lance, Mason) and Cam who has shot well so far. I think that is more than in the past. Then you have Braden, Lance and Fletcher that have no problem attacking the rim or hitting the mid range...something many previous Purdue teams didn't have. Even Mason and Cam are driving into the lane. You not only have Zach on the low post, but can move Trey in there if needed. You are not only limited to 4 out and 1 in, but can now play 3 out and 2 in adding versatility to attack the opponent. I just see this team much more complete than in the immediate past. Still, we know anything can happen...I just don't think it will due to what I said above

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I'm looking at the first game being rather easy with some rest and beating a mid to late 30s not being harder. I just think this team has so many ways of scoring that it is no longer a two dimensional attack and a mid to late 30s team on a neutral court should take a really bad game by Purdue. The team doesn't have to have Zach for that game, but if he is playing he is always an outlet and threat to score when everything else fails.

This team has 4 good perimeter shooters (Fletch, Braden,Lance, Mason) and Cam who has shot well so far. I think that is more than in the past. Then you have Braden, Lance and Fletcher that have no problem attacking the rim or hitting the mid range...something many previous Purdue teams didn't have. Even Mason and Cam are driving into the lane. You not only have Zach on the low post, but can move Trey in there if needed. You are not only limited to 4 out and 1 in, but can now play 3 out and 2 in adding versatility to attack the opponent. I just see this team much more complete than in the immediate past. Still, we know anything can happen...I just don't think it will do to what I said above
I don't think anyone would say we played "horrible" against Northwestern. Not a good game but certainly not horrible and we got beat. Right now, Northwestern is not a #8/9 seed. There are a lot of good teams that will be in that 8/9 range and we most certainly can get beat by them without playing a horrible game. All it takes is an "off" night and we are vulnerable. Do I think we are better than last year? Yes, I do. But I also watch a lot of games outside of our conference and believe me when I say that 2nd round game is no cake walk and we don't have to play horrible to lose it.

I don't know what you mean when you say "the team doesn't have to have Zach for that game"??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT