ADVERTISEMENT

Braden doing unheard of things

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com
Braden is the only player in the country who has done the following. I'm guessing his 3P% drops off in B1G play but enjoy what you are seeing.

Current search:
For single seasons; from 2000-01 to 2023-24; requiring Points Per Game >= 14.3 and Total Rebounds Per Game >= 5.6 and Assists Per Game >= 6.6 and 3-Point Field Goal Percentage >= 0.46;

Query Results​

TotalsTotalsPer Game
RkPlayerClassSeasonPosSchoolConfGMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSFG%2P%3P%FT%MPFGFGA2P2PA3P3PAFTFTAORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
1Braden SmithSO2023-24GPurdueBig Ten1135559119.49640791940.4752127.77865763741912918158.496.506.475.77832.35.410.83.67.21.73.61.92.50.55.2

His rebounding is so good for his size because he instinctively anticipates the bounce off the rim on missed shots...seems like he is always in good position.

Special player...

Yes - great anticipation both ways. He also knows how important it is and makes the focused effort toward it..... IMO, he has some innate ball skills a little like Fat Lever and Rondo without the size. I do think he will post a triple double before his time is up.

Sorry folks, the jinx is already out there. :)

Braden is the only player in the country who has done the following. I'm guessing his 3P% drops off in B1G play but enjoy what you are seeing.

Current search:
For single seasons; from 2000-01 to 2023-24; requiring Points Per Game >= 14.3 and Total Rebounds Per Game >= 5.6 and Assists Per Game >= 6.6 and 3-Point Field Goal Percentage >= 0.46;

Query Results​

RkPlayerClassSeasonPosSchoolConfGMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSFG%2P%3P%FT%MPFGFGA2P2PA3P3PAFTFTAORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
TotalsTotalsPer Game
1Braden SmithSO2023-24GPurdueBig Ten1135559119.49640791940.4752127.77865763741912918158.496.506.475.77832.35.410.83.67.21.73.61.92.50.55.2
And almost 2 steals per game.

Reactions: rgarlitz
His rebounding is so good for his size because he instinctively anticipates the bounce off the rim on missed shots...seems like he is always in good position.

Special player...
He has extra long arms with a 36" vertical, but yeah most rebounds are below the rim.

Smith has taken a very big step forward this season so far. Love his game and attitude. His looking to score more has made a huge difference. There are a lot of great guards in the college game, but I wouldn't trade him for any other PG. His skill set meshes perfectly with what we need on this team. That is a credit to him and CMP and staff for the development.

Smith has taken a very big step forward this season so far. Love his game and attitude. His looking to score more has made a huge difference. There are a lot of great guards in the college game, but I wouldn't trade him for any other PG. His skill set meshes perfectly with what we need on this team. That is a credit to him and CMP and staff for the development.
I posted last year that if there was another Braden that could be a 1 that the old Braden could score well enough to play the 2.

You, sir, are a Mighty Prognosticator.

PowerBall numbers?
I had an advantage. I saw him in high school and knew he could shoot with range. His dad was a shooter before becoming a pg in college. Austin Parkinson was the pg when they were in high school. Last year, I told dad that playing pg going through Zach was first and then the other options and shooting as a last resort made it tough to be mentally focused to shoot...and he knew exactly what I was saying since he had been a 2 and then moved to a 1. As a 2 you are primarily ready to let it go if the shot is there...and pass second many times. Today he is ready to let it fling much more. Zach losing weight has helped a lot with him moving more and getting the ball on the move.

Last edited:
He is a gym rat.

I do worry that CMP is going to play him too much in B1G play. He was cooked by March last season.
I think Matt is aware and doesn't want him playing that many minutes either. My fear is if the competition in the big is a step down a bit and Purdue is not as sharp later in the year, but the thick scouting books should also drive players to individually improve as well...

But those two don't directly cut into Braden's minutes...only Lance and Ethan can rest Braden
They can bring the ball up and they can score. Braden is carrying a lot right now. Believe me I love his game, called it as soon as we recruited him...but he needs some space, not just on the bench but his in game load carriage. It's extremely difficult to have to always be THE guy at every moment in every game.

They can bring the ball up and they can score. Braden is carrying a lot right now. Believe me I love his game, called it as soon as we recruited him...but he needs some space, not just on the bench but his in game load carriage. It's extremely difficult to have to always be THE guy at every moment in every game.
I think a lot of people have no idea the court he covers at the speed he does every game. I think Lance has helped him rest a bit on D that translates to better O as well...AND Braden not thinking he has to make every play for another to score, but to just get it started has taken a load off as well.

Austin Parkinson is a name from the past. He was a Yorktown High School standout whose team upset New Castle and Kent Benson in the 1972 New Castle Regional. I remember it quite well when that score was announced at Spartan Bowl in the Connersville Regional...a big roar went up. Of course...Connersville went on to win the 1972 Indiana State Championship (single class basketball back then) when I was a sophomore in high school. I played against Kent Benson in grade school...he attended St Annes of New Castle while I played for St Gabriel of Connersville. He was tall back then, too.

Last edited:
Austin Parkinson is a name from the past. He was a Yorktown High School standout whose team upset New Castle and Kent Benson in the 1972 New Castle Regional. I remember it quite well when that score was announced at Spartan Bowl in the Connersville Regional...a big roar went up. Of course...Connersville went on to win the 1972 Indiana State Championship (single class basketball back then) when I was a sophomore in high school. I played against Kent Benson in grade school...he attended St Annes of New Castle while I played for St Gabriel of Connersville. He was tall back then, too.
no, you are thinking of Bruce the father of Austin. Austin went to Northwestern outside of Kokomo and coaches IUPUI women.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Saw some IU chatter about Smith saying Archie was told to check him out during his sophomore year and did. Said he didn’t see him as a starter in the B1G. Woody was told to watch him and his staff had the same opinion.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Saw some IU chatter about Smith saying Archie was told to check him out during his sophomore year and did. Said he didn’t see him as a starter in the B1G. Woody was told to watch him and his staff had the same opinion.
I think as a former player that knows his system inside and out, Matt has that unique ability to see what will/could work in a potential player and what won't. And he's getting better at it with age.

I think as a former player that knows his system inside and out, Matt has that unique ability to see what will/could work in a potential player and what won't. And he's getting better at it with age.
When you look at our players High School rankings, what they, Matt and staff have done from a player development standpoint is nothing short of incredible. A terrific job by all. BoilerUp

Bingo. He has had his fair share of misses but think he has it more dialed in now.

That is going to be a problem for IU because they focused all their attention for 2024 on guys with stars and not building a team. Just curious how they are going to fare next year with just 1 kid coming in and potentially losing Mgboko and their seniors.

Reactions: Tommaker
Bingo. He has had his fair share of misses but think he has it more dialed in now.

That is going to be a problem for IU because they focused all their attention for 2024 on guys with stars and not building a team. Just curious how they are going to fare next year with just 1 kid coming in and potentially losing Mgboko and their seniors.
And Ware, who is getting mocked in R1 now…

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Not just IU. A lot of the tourney upsets are driven by senior led teams. The Kentucky/Duke/NC/Kansas model works if you have a coach that can quickly build chemistry for players that will only play 1-2 years with each other. Those coaches are few and far between anymore IMO, and more likely to be at the pro level.

Those HS varsity games start pretty late. Might be past Woody’s bedtime.

He is the prototype of a modern 5 in the NBA. Long and mobile.
Interested to see how he does with the grind of the B1G and going up against edey and Hawkins and even Crowl (he should eat him up). He has shown flashes of how good he can be, but he hasn’t been able to score as well when he has faced guys his size (Clingan, Dickinson) that are around his skill level. I’m sure he will get drafted first round, just not sure when.

Well Beef, according to some folk down south, anyone could put up solid to similar numbers that Braden due to having Edey…so that’s probably why they passed on Braden 😂

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT