ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl game

I will try this one more time and then I am out.

Average national class rating of the 4 previous classes upon arrival starting with Brohms first year.
Purdue - 72.3
IU - 54.0
Minn - 56.3
Iowa - 51.3
Brohm started in an incredibly worse situation than any other coach had in the Big Ten at the time. It is undeniable fact.

If you average the 4 previous classes together to get a projected finish based off of recruiting talent. Actual finish is based off of record and I did not look up head to head to break ties.
Year, Projected Finish, Actual Finish
2017, 13.75, T-7
2018, 13.25, T-5
2019, 11, T-10
Brohm has had results better than those projected based on on-field recruited talent in each of his 3 years at Purdue. In addition he has improved recruiting greatly. This means that if we stay patient and he continues to put teams on the field above recruited talent then we have good years ahead.

For the guy touting Iowa for always overachieving... that is true. Since Brohm has been at Purdue, Iowa finishes on average 3 spots ahead of their recruited talent which is an indication of good coaching. Brohm is averaging 4.7 spots ahead of his recruited talent.

IU and Minn have also had years they played ahead of recruited talent. In the 3 full years since they have been hired, IU is averaging less than 1 game better than recruited talent (that of course will change dramatically after this year) and Minn is averaging 3.3 spots ahead of their recruited talent.

In short..... relax. Brohm is doing fine based off of what he inherited and what has been recruited.

I will try this one more time and then I am out.

Average national class rating of the 4 previous classes upon arrival starting with Brohms first year.
Purdue - 72.3
IU - 54.0
Minn - 56.3
Iowa - 51.3
Brohm started in an incredibly worse situation than any other coach had in the Big Ten at the time. It is undeniable fact.

If you average the 4 previous classes together to get a projected finish based off of recruiting talent. Actual finish is based off of record and I did not look up head to head to break ties.
Year Projected Finish Actual Finish
2017 13.75 T-7
2018 13.25 T-5
2019 11 T-10
Brohm has had results better than those projected based on on-field recruited talent in each of his 3 years at Purdue. In addition he has improved recruiting greatly. This means that if we stay patient and he continues to put teams on the field above recruited talent then we have good years ahead.

For the guy touting Iowa for always overachieving... that is true. Since Brohm has been at Purdue, Iowa finishes on average 3 spots ahead of their recruited talent which is an indication of good coaching. Brohm is averaging 4.7 spots ahead of his recruited talent.

IU and Minn have also had years they played ahead of recruited talent. In the 3 full years since they have been hired, IU is averaging less than 1 game better than recruited talent (that of course will change dramatically after this year) and Minn is averaging 3.3 spots ahead of their recruited talent.

In short..... relax. Brohm is doing fine based off of what he inherited and what has been recruited.

haven’t three of those Classes graduated

haven’t three of those Classes graduated

Yes they have now. I made two different points.
1- Brohm started in a much worse situation than programs he is getting measured against
2 - Using a 4 year average (each average was different because I used the 4 years that were on the field in that season) of where we finished each recruiting class I projected where we should finish each year based on recruiting and where we actually finished based on record.

I’m now done also with this. 6-6 at a minimum every year going forward shouldn’t be too much to ask with the recruited talent we’re getting and the amount of money the coach makes. That’s all I want to see, Bowl games, competing, winning and having a fun product to watch. Let’s see what happens. Boiler Up! POTFH.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Where Wilson left things? They’re way past where Wilson left things. Wilson was .500 his last two years. Allen went 8-4 last year and is 4-1 this year ranked 12th in the country. Allen has IU light years ahead of where Wilson EVER had IU and he’s doing it with his own players.

You’re also on year 10 of a rebuild lol. We’re on year 4.

I forgot, one other thing. If we got rid of the stupid “cow catcher” off the shoulders, I think our jerseys would look a lot better.

Year 4? Purdue’s had two winning seasons since 2007 and hasn’t been ranked since then. Your program isn’t what you think it is by the way.

What do I think it is?

And yes year 4. Before Hazell, we were at least an average program before he cratered is into oblivion.

Yes they have now. I made two different points.
1- Brohm started in a much worse situation than programs he is getting measured against
2 - Using a 4 year average (each average was different because I used the 4 years that were on the field in that season) of where we finished each recruiting class I projected where we should finish each year based on recruiting and where we actually finished based on record.

he’s had four classes and in those classes he’s produced one big ten caliber starting safety who is ready to play ...

your argument is an argument for like if we played Ohio state tough but couldn’t hang with their depth late in the game

he’s had four classes and in those classes he’s produced one big ten caliber starting safety who is ready to play ...

your argument is an argument for like if we played Ohio state tough but couldn’t hang with their depth late in the game

my whole arguement is only “have we out performed our recruited talent?” The answer is a resounding yes. As recruiting classes continue to stack and improve so will on the field expectations. This year talent wise we should be around 9th in the Big if you average class rankings. That means if he finishes above 9th (currently sitting at 7th) then Brohm is doing one of 3 things (or a combination of them) well.
1. Finding and getting under rated recruits
2. Developing recruits better than expected
3. Out coaching others.

I get that your expectations are that Brohm should be able to do even better. I am not looking at a single position and making some sort of team judgment. I am looking at the team as a whole and seeing progress.

Two winning seasons since 2007 doesn’t quantify as “average” in my opinion. But maybe that’s just me.

but the greater point is this.. if the roles were reversed this year and we spanked you in the bucket game and one of us made just one of the posts you made in this thread... instaban

you know that right? At least be man enough to admit that

but the greater point is this.. if the roles were reversed this year and we spanked you in the bucket game and one of us made just one of the posts you made in this thread... instaban

you know that right? At least be man enough to admit that

Will be very disappointing if IU loses to this Purdue team. IU on paper is 2-3 TDs better than this Purdue team given Allen’s ability to not only recruit but develop a very solid 2 deep defense. Offense ain’t that bad either 🤷‍♂️

Will be very disappointing if IU loses to this Purdue team. IU on paper is 2-3 TDs better than this Purdue team given Allen’s ability to not only recruit but develop a very solid 2 deep defense. Offense ain’t that bad either 🤷‍♂️

2-3 TD’s better on paper isn’t accurate. My guess is the line wont be more than maybe 10.5 points.

im predicting an IU win.. I’m saying in a parallel universe where roles were reversed .. we could not post on your board like you post on ours

im predicting an IU win.. I’m saying in a parallel universe where roles were reversed .. we could not post on your board like you post on ours

There’s several Purdue posters who constantly post on the IU boards, some pretending to be IU fans. It all flies. Not sure what that has to do with anything though?

There’s several Purdue posters who constantly post on the IU boards, some pretending to be IU fans. It all flies. Not sure what that has to do with anything though?

pretend trolls I’m sure but no straight up smack talk.. come on man.. wanna see me get banned in 5 minutes if we win?

also, I find it funny that you guys wanna talk about things during the good years but when we were winning non stop, nobody over there wanted to talk about it lol.

noooobody

To try to get this thread back on track.... I suspect we will have to win 2 more games for a Bowl. I think 1 more win only gets us in if we have a game or two canceled. Fingers crossed that does not happen.

To try to get this thread back on track.... I suspect we will have to win 2 more games for a Bowl. I think 1 more win only gets us in if we have a game or two canceled. Fingers crossed that does not happen.

its all gonna hinge on Rutgers .. we will beat Nebraska

I believe we will lose to Nebraska! Nebraska’s toughest opponent this year has been themselves! If they didn’t make so many unforced errors, they would have several more victories! Purdue hasn’t really created many turnovers! If Nebraska doesn’t beat themselves, they should be able to beat Purdue!

I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat it. Stop trying to compare this year’s team against previous Purdue teams. You need to compare this year’s teams against our current opponents! Our teams of the past could beat Minn and Northwestern. Sure our team may be better than our previous team talent wise. But so are our opponents! And they seem to be a lot better than their previous teams. So if we can’t improve our record against current teams does it really matter how much better we are talent wise? Given our increase in talent, we should be beating teams like Northwestern and Minn. I don’t recall either of those teams having better recruiting than we did over the past 3 years. And I also don’t recall those teams being that great 4 years ago either.

as for Wilson verses Hazell, I truly believe Hazell had better talent, and that Hazell left better talent for Brohm than Wilson did! And for the most part, Brohm got rid of all of Hazell’s rejects after his second year! The players on this year’s team are the players Brohm either recruited or decided to keep!

to me it’s a matter of lack of development!

and it saddens me when people here post that going 6-6 and maybe a small bowl game is an acceptable season! That’s not what we paid Brohm to accomplish! Brohm is being paid to deliver 8-10 victories a year not go 6-6! If we wanted to go 6-6 with a small bowl game invite , we should have kept Hope at a lot less and invested the money into our band!

I believe we will lose to Nebraska! Nebraska’s toughest opponent this year has been themselves! If they didn’t make so many unforced errors, they would have several more victories! Purdue hasn’t really created many turnovers! If Nebraska doesn’t beat themselves, they should be able to beat Purdue!

I’ve said it before and I’ll repeat it. Stop trying to compare this year’s team against previous Purdue teams. You need to compare this year’s teams against our current opponents! Our teams of the past could beat Minn and Northwestern. Sure our team may be better than our previous team talent wise. But so are our opponents! And they seem to be a lot better than their previous teams. So if we can’t improve our record against current teams does it really matter how much better we are talent wise? Given our increase in talent, we should be beating teams like Northwestern and Minn. I don’t recall either of those teams having better recruiting than we did over the past 3 years. And I also don’t recall those teams being that great 4 years ago either.

as for Wilson verses Hazell, I truly believe Hazell had better talent, and that Hazell left better talent for Brohm than Wilson did! And for the most part, Brohm got rid of all of Hazell’s rejects after his second year! The players on this year’s team are the players Brohm either recruited or decided to keep!

to me it’s a matter of lack of development!

and it saddens me when people here post that going 6-6 and maybe a small bowl game is an acceptable season! That’s not what we paid Brohm to accomplish! Brohm is being paid to deliver 8-10 victories a year not go 6-6! If we wanted to go 6-6 with a small bowl game invite , we should have kept Hope at a lot less and invested the money into our band!

Interesting how you repeatedly make excuses for other teams, and go out of your way to crap on Purdue.

You're fooling nobody.

Oh, and your "!" key is stuck.

!

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I’m now done also with this. 6-6 at a minimum every year going forward shouldn’t be too much to ask with the recruited talent we’re getting and the amount of money the coach makes. That’s all I want to see, Bowl games, competing, winning and having a fun product to watch. Let’s see what happens. Boiler Up! POTFH.

6-6 isn’t asking much at all. that’s going 4-5 in the BT and 2-1 out of conference. Wouldn’t you say that this team could have easily done that this year.

If we magically changed the Minnesota Loss to a win, would we have this amount of griping? The BS outcome of that game and northwestern handling Wisconsin should void all the complaints out there.

Reactions: Beorik and Purdue85
This team wouldn’t have come close to that record. Air Force-L, Memphis-L, BC-toss up, Minnesota would have had a full team-L, Iowa improves as the season goes on unlike us-L, iu-L... I’m forgetting some of the rest of the schedule but 6-6 would have been tough to achieve.

• Wow
Reactions: Purdue85
This team wouldn’t have come close to that record. Air Force-L, Memphis-L, BC-toss up, Minnesota would have had a full team-L, Iowa improves as the season goes on unlike us-L, iu-L... I’m forgetting some of the rest of the schedule but 6-6 would have been tough to achieve.

How many starters did Minnesota have out? How many times out of 10 does Dellinger make just one of those field goals he missed? How often does that PI get called?

it’s amazing that you have Iowa penciled in as a loss for some reason .... WE BEAT THEM! They were at full strength and we were without Rondale. Why are you trying to rewrite a history with a negative bent??

Reactions: Beorik and Purdue85
I’m being realistic in my mind and being a Purdue fan for long enough to know there is always a kick in stones coming. Some of it might be a little reverse psychology with this program? 🚂🍺 🍻Do you think we would have beat Air Force, Memphis, BC? I’m not remembering the rest of the schedule. Would we have beat Illinois with their starting quarterback? iu would be a loss, Iowa, Nebraska could have gone 1-1, 2-0🤷🏼‍♂️. Minnesota? I’m just saying that 6-6 might have been tough. All I would like to see is that we have our 6th win by game 8 or 9 every year.

I’m being realistic in my mind and being a Purdue fan for long enough to know there is always a kick in stones coming. Some of it might be a little reverse psychology with this program? 🚂🍺 🍻Do you think we would have beat Air Force, Memphis, BC? I’m not remembering the rest of the schedule. Would we have beat Illinois with their starting quarterback? iu would be a loss, Iowa, Nebraska could have gone 1-1, 2-0🤷🏼‍♂️. Minnesota? I’m just saying that 6-6 might have been tough. All I would like to see is that we have our 6th win by game 8 or 9 every year.

AF and BC are .500 jusy like us and Memphis had looked pretty decent at times but has losses to Cincinnati and SMU. So yea pretty sure all those games were winnable.
So negative. Don’t understand how people even call themselves fans when all they do is talk down about the program.

Reactions: Purdue85

im coming around on Nats 7-10 year fix... I think this program will get better when a player like Hermanns graduates on one of the lines and we immediately know who the quality starter will be the following season. Right now we don’t have that

when watts leaves, at the present moment, I have no idea if anyone will be a quality starter next year. Faucheux has the resume but hasn’t spent a day on the job. If we were in year 6 maybe it’s likely that you’d have players like faucheux actually pushing watts for snaps now, so that we’d all know who the starter will be next year AND know he can play.

shit Last year we started with three OL who couldn’t play big ten football at all.. then we lost mccann for a while .. then we ended up starting to find answers when the season starts.

if we see things down the stretch to say “hey, our starters up front for next year (just giving examples) are:

Miller
Craig
Hartwig
Jornigan
Bramel

Karlaftis
Johnson
Faucheux
Mitchell

and we feel like those guys can all NOT BE EXPOSED” we might be onto something

go read about the 3-4 defense though and you’ll see that without a really good nose tackle joe tiller would say you might as well be playing tiddlywinks.

do you think Lawrence Johnson is a really good nose tackle? At this point, in year 4, I’ll be happy if he isn’t a bad nose tackle who gets pushed around like nobody’s business...

im coming around on Nats 7-10 year fix... I think this program will get better when a player like Hermanns graduates on one of the lines and we immediately know who the quality starter will be the following season. Right now we don’t have that

when watts leaves, at the present moment, I have no idea if anyone will be a quality starter next year. Faucheux has the resume but hasn’t spent a day on the job. If we were in year 6 maybe it’s likely that you’d have players like faucheux actually pushing watts for snaps now, so that we’d all know who the starter will be next year AND know he can play.

shit Last year we started with three OL who couldn’t play big ten football at all.. then we lost mccann for a while .. then we ended up starting to find answers when the season starts.

if we see things down the stretch to say “hey, our starters up front for next year (just giving examples) are:

Miller
Craig
Hartwig
Jornigan
Bramel

Karlaftis
Johnson
Faucheux
Mitchell

and we feel like those guys can all NOT BE EXPOSED” we might be onto something

go read about the 3-4 defense though and you’ll see that without a really good nose tackle joe tiller would say you might as well be playing tiddlywinks.

do you think Lawrence Johnson is a really good nose tackle? At this point, in year 4, I’ll be happy if he isn’t a bad nose tackle who gets pushed around like nobody’s business...

yea would agree with 7-10 years. Our FR and SO classes are clearly the best and we already have like 14 or so of them starting. Most of Those guys need more time and experience to be really good and we need to follow them up with classes of similar or better talent for the depth. Plus you don’t just start getting all the top recruits. You get good recruits, improve on the field results, then hopefully get better recruits. So on and so forth until you are regularly getting classes in the top 3-5 of the Big.

I also agree with the change to a 3-4 being difficult. gotta get the players to fit it and your example of a nose tackle is a good one. That position is very different than DT in the 4-3. Same with the Strong side OLB and DEs. Those positions typically require a certain type of player to fill those roles. Could take a couple recruiting classes to get ideal types at all those spots.

yea would agree with 7-10 years. Our FR and SO classes are clearly the best and we already have like 14 or so of them starting. Most of Those guys need more time and experience to be really good and we need to follow them up with classes of similar or better talent for the depth. Plus you don’t just start getting all the top recruits. You get good recruits, improve on the field results, then hopefully get better recruits. So on and so forth until you are regularly getting classes in the top 3-5 of the Big.

I also agree with the change to a 3-4 being difficult. gotta get the players to fit it and your example of a nose tackle is a good one. That position is very different than DT in the 4-3. Same with the Strong side OLB and DEs. Those positions typically require a certain type of player to fill those roles. Could take a couple recruiting classes to get ideal types at all those spots.

so here’s my point with brohm...

Let’s forget about criticizing him for what’s going on now and look forward.

the rah rah crowd might see Johnson next year not only not dominating, but maybe worse, due the important nature of his position, being pushed around or even dominated and say “aw shucks recruiting aggregate ratings (when we are talking about one guy)” or “head scratcher,” when I’m sitting here right now like

“okay.. it’s the most important position in this defense. When Lorenzo Neal (who probably isn’t as good as he was in early 2018) leaves THAT MOMENT RIGHT THERE IS WHEN BROHM AND DIACO NEED TO SIT DOWN and evaluate whether Johnson is good enough to rely on in that role and they need to decide it in January. If they don’t think so (and they get paid to know the answer) then brohm needs to say ‘okay, fleck got Micah dew-treadway from ND, and if he can do that then we need to get someone good now.. our 2021 performance is hinging on us doing that RIGHT NOW.”

and I don’t think you need to be an international master chess player to understand that that’s the move here..

If lovie freaking smith can go out and get josh imatorbhebhe then brohm can figure out what our potential crises points are and go out and address them without anyone bringing Darrell hazell up

so here’s my point with brohm...

Let’s forget about criticizing him for what’s going on now and look forward.

the rah rah crowd might see Johnson next year not only not dominating, but maybe worse, due the important nature of his position, being pushed around or even dominated and say “aw shucks recruiting aggregate ratings (when we are talking about one guy)” or “head scratcher,” when I’m sitting here right now like

“okay.. it’s the most important position in this defense. When Lorenzo Neal (who probably isn’t as good as he was in early 2018) leaves THAT MOMENT RIGHT THERE IS WHEN BROHM AND DIACO NEED TO SIT DOWN and evaluate whether Johnson is good enough to rely on in that role and they need to decide it in January. If they don’t think so (and they get paid to know the answer) then brohm needs to say ‘okay, fleck got Micah dew-treadway from ND, and if he can do that then we need to get someone good now.. our 2021 performance is hinging on us doing that RIGHT NOW.”

and I don’t think you need to be an international master chess player to understand that that’s the move here..

If lovie freaking smith can go out and get josh imatorbhebhe then brohm can figure out what our potential crises points are and go out and address them without anyone bringing Darrell hazell up

I don’t disagree completely with your point. I would only say that there are things you can do to make up for an unideal NT. Bigger run stopping MLBs for one, stacking the box, squeezing/shifting the DL, run blitzing..... and on and on. There is no team in college football or the NFL who doesn’t have players who can’t be taken advantage of in one way or another. Coaches have to be able to play to their strengths as best they can. The best MLB I ever coached (led the team in tackles, TFL, sacks and FF last 3 years of HS) was susceptible to misdirection. Couldn’t break him of taking 2-3 steps in the wrong direction.

having said all that. I find it a bit strange to change from 4-3 to 3-4, three years into a rebuild because it does take time to grow your DL and LBs into those new roles. But so far I actually think they have covered their weaknesses ok so far so I am hopeful going forward.

Reactions: Inspector100
Exactly which players? Sure there are Wilson-era players contributing but 10/11 starters on defense are Allen recruits. Penix is an Allen recruit, as is Stevie Scott, Whop Phylior, Ty Fryfogle, Matthew Bedford, etc.
IU is not that much better... but they are getting better QB play. Maryland has become dangerous when they have better QB play with tua's brother. Michigan and Nebraska are struggling (MSU too) because of poor QB play. Our troubles last year were a lot based on the havoc at the QB position. If Plummer can play today like last week, we should get the win.

I retract any bowl discussion with this coaching staff and team. Oh how I would love to go 4-4 this year. WTF, but yes we are building, we are recruiting, I just need to give it time, I don’t understand the genius that is brohm... he needs his guys, we’ve had injuries, COVID, he was left nothing on the roster from hazel... enough bullshit. This is just not a good team or staff.

Reactions: pu1985
I retract any bowl discussion with this coaching staff and team. Oh how I would love to go 4-4 this year. WTF, but yes we are building, we are recruiting, I just need to give it time, I don’t understand the genius that is brohm... he needs his guys, we’ve had injuries, COVID, he was left nothing on the roster from hazel... enough bullshit. This is just not a good team or staff.

watch them not play the young guys the next two weeks

Reactions: NVboiler
Interesting how you repeatedly make excuses for other teams, and go out of your way to crap on Purdue.

You're fooling nobody.

Oh, and your "!" key is stuck.

!
The boilers were winning today before YOU decided to make an appearance and started dissing me in the game thread! !!!!!!!!!!!’ And a few more !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT