ADVERTISEMENT

Booker to MSU

Have you been to East Lansing or maybe Lawrence KS? Guys go there because of the coach, winning and playing on the big stage. They aren't going there for the night life.
Admittedly there are a lot of other loser communities just as bad as Lafayette. Ok maybe it’s the academics of Purdue that I’d turning recruits away or maybe the dorm food or the red bricks.

I’d hate for the reality to be that painter is a really bad closer when it comes to recruiting

I was just trying to come up with reasons why painter never wins recruiting battles. I’d hate to believe the overall riding factor is Painter!
Maybe the recruits don’t like the Wabash!

maybe it’s our school song!
Maybe they hate the phrase Boiler Up!

I don’t want to copy the IU approach, but I curious. As why do few of the top 50 are even recruited by Purdue. I’m not saying Painter should send out 50 letters, but 5-10 would be a huge difference.. and crème’s approach has landed him a couple of top 50 every year.

something I have seen at a lot of other successful football and basketball teams is that the head coach does very little recruiting. It’s the assistants who do all the work and get the recruits committed and the head coach kind of just sits back and watches them sign the LOI. Watching the news, it’s always the assistants giving players money under the table and violating ncaa rules. I’m not suggesting Purdue’s assistants should break the rules, but it doesn’t appear as if Painter’s assistants are very good recruiters either.

Zo may be a terrible coach, but the guy can definitely recruit! Maybe an assistant that can recruit is what Painter really needs. Painter has proven he can coach and develop players. Just think what he could do with the talent Duke, uk, Kansas, and much bring in every year!

just some food for thought.

I was just trying to come up with reasons why painter never wins recruiting battles. I’d hate to believe the overall riding factor is Painter!
Maybe the recruits don’t like the Wabash!

maybe it’s our school song!
Maybe they hate the phrase Boiler Up!

I don’t want to copy the IU approach, but I curious. As why do few of the top 50 are even recruited by Purdue. I’m not saying Painter should send out 50 letters, but 5-10 would be a huge difference.. and crème’s approach has landed him a couple of top 50 every year.

something I have seen at a lot of other successful football and basketball teams is that the head coach does very little recruiting. It’s the assistants who do all the work and get the recruits committed and the head coach kind of just sits back and watches them sign the LOI. Watching the news, it’s always the assistants giving players money under the table and violating ncaa rules. I’m not suggesting Purdue’s assistants should break the rules, but it doesn’t appear as if Painter’s assistants are very good recruiters either.

Zo may be a terrible coach, but the guy can definitely recruit! Maybe an assistant that can recruit is what Painter really needs. Painter has proven he can coach and develop players. Just think what he could do with the talent Duke, uk, Kansas, and much bring in every year!

just some food for thought.
Why do you insist on the dramatic? Why would you say, "...painter never wins recruiting battles".

Inaccurate at best and inflamatory at worst. Do you recall Biggie? How about Nojel Eastern? Both won from the great Izzo. I think if you go back to every roster, every year, and look at the schools we competed against, you will find that Painter wins many, many, many recruiting battles. Do we get everyone we want? Does any coach? Give me a break and stop with the exaggeration.

:cool:

Why do you insist on the dramatic? Why would you say, "...painter never wins recruiting battles".

Inaccurate at best and inflamatory at worst. Do you recall Biggie? How about Nojel Eastern? Both won from the great Izzo. I think if you go back to every roster, every year, and look at the schools we competed against, you will find that Painter wins many, many, many recruiting battles. Do we get everyone we want? Does any coach? Give me a break and stop with the exaggeration.

:cool:
Izzo and MSU really wanted Furst too. Painter isn't ever going to win them all, but is definitely trending up recently.

Izzo and MSU really wanted Furst too. Painter isn't ever going to win them all, but is definitely trending up recently.
Izzo is still winning more than he is losing to Painter. Maybe 2:1. NIL may throw that ratio into the wind however.

Maybe not as much talent in Michigan recently? Izzo has poached a few from Illinois (Christie) and Ohio (Ward) but quite a few from Indiana over the years (Randolph, JJJ, Dawson, Harris, and now Booker). How many years does he have left coaching? MSU didn’t have much in the post last year and this year is looking about the same for them. I doubt Booker plays the 4 there.
I think this is accurate regarding MI talent. Indiana and Ohio are much better. The drop off in Flint, Saginaw, Lansing, and even Detroit has been big. Booker will be a 4.

I think this is accurate regarding MI talent. Indiana and Ohio are much better. The drop off in Flint, Saginaw, Lansing, and even Detroit has been big. Booker will be a 4.
Correct. With 6’10” 235 lb Jaxon Kohler (who’s not exactly an “athlete) on the roster, a mobile big with Booker’s skillset will definitely be the starting 4.

Izzo is still winning more than he is losing to Painter. Maybe 2:1. NIL may throw that ratio into the wind however.
Just named in this thread, from an MSU perspective, Izzo/MSU definitely wanted Biggie, Eastern and more recently, Furst. Painter has beaten Izzo for those ones for sure.

I'd also add that Izzo prioritized Marcus Bingham over Trevyon (sp?) in that recruiting cycle and ANY MSU fan wishes he could have a redo on that one.

Is Izzo still praying for the survivors?
I don’t know nor do I give a shit since he had nothing to do with the woman’s gymnastics program. However I’m sure you’ve already done the mental gymnastics in your head to legitimize your hatred and insecurities about your own program.

I don’t know nor do I give a shit since he had nothing to do with the woman’s gymnastics program. However I’m sure you’ve already done the mental gymnastics in your head to legitimize your hatred and insecurities about your own program.
DId he have rapist on the team? Or was that the football team? Payne Appling Cotton ring a bell?

The comment was in regards to Nasser and womens gymnastics. If you want to talk about the Appling/Payne thing, that’s out of context to my response.
So you don’t want to talk about Appling or Payne. I don’t blame you.

How about Mateen Cleaves ?

So you don’t want to talk about Appling or Payne. I don’t blame you.

How about Mateen Cleaves ?
Dude made some mistakes and not perfect. I don’t view him as a God. What else would you like to know now that the topic of my original response has been completely shifted.

i was at the RCA Dome when Mateen win msu a Natty. Please tell me a similar Purdue memory you have.

Dude made some mistakes and not perfect. I don’t view him as a God. What else would you like to know now that the topic of my original response has been completely shifted.

i was at the RCA Dome when Mateen win msu a Natty. Please tell me a similar Purdue memory you have.
So you’re proud of this guy?

But hey, this thug and a bunch of other kids you don’t know won 6 games in a row 22 years ago. Yay.

Last edited:
So you’re proud of this guy?

But hey, this thug and a bunch of other kids you don’t know won 6 games in a row 22 years ago. Yay.
That's pretty bad. Even Sparty fan posting here has to cringe at the number of bad characters who have come through the MSU program.

I'll tell you something that I have no memory of. Ever being on your board, or knowing where it is, or even thinking about caring enough to find it.
Amen Brother. I just don't get the desire to go to another teams board and get involved? Free Country, so go ahead if they want, but don't be surprised when it goes poorly.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT