ADVERTISEMENT

Any breaking news from down south?

So if you are IU where do you go from here? You basically issued a statement saying Woodson was in for 2024 and then lost your only recruit for next year.

You figure they lose 3-5 or more players come March/April. That means you have 0 room for missing on dudes in the portal.

Side note, remember how pumped they were when they got Payton Sparks?

Reactions: Flot and BoilerAndy
So if you are IU where do you go from here? You basically issued a statement saying Woodson was in for 2024 and then lost your only recruit for next year.

You figure they lose 3-5 or more players come March/April. That means you have 0 room for missing on dudes in the portal.

Mike Davis is available to return them to past glories. He nearly led them to the promised land once.

I do wonder what this would all look like if the master plan that led to the hiring of Woodson, Matta, and Fife had panned out. It seemed to fall apart so quickly. Was pride/ego their downfall?

Luckily they are the betting favorites to win their 14th consecutive Offseason Championship!

I do wonder what this would all look like if the master plan that led to the hiring of Woodson, Matta, and Fife had panned out. It seemed to fall apart so quickly. Was pride/ego their downfall?
What Woody lacks most, besides energy, is the knowledge of how to construct a modern college basketball roster. Matta and Fife know how thatā€™s done. But he decided he didnā€™t need their help. Seems like those were Dolson hires, not Woody hires. Bad plan.

They must have ran short of money after that Russel Wilson contract.
Nope. They have a top 5 NIL deal this year and they just added more NIL $$$$ for Sleepy Mike thanks to the Simon Family. Quinn Buckner wants to give Sleepy Mike another chance. Chaos brewing at Indaina if they think they can pay to keep the majority of their current roster and pay to get Braden Smith (or someone of that caliber) and a ā€œbigā€ to come to this cesspool. Who would want to play this predictable pro type of basketball? Sleepy Mike is an administrator not a coach IMO. No family culture. No player development. Very little. And please tell me what in the f$ck the teams assistants do other than being pimp recruiters and refill Mikeā€™s wine after a good loss?

It will be telling watching IU on senior night and in the B1G tourney. I envision a lot of players standing around and a lot of fans that continue to look like theyā€™re in need of a good šŸ’©. This is glorious to watch. Just too gloriousā€¦ā€¦..POTFH!

Was heavily rumored all over IU Twitter that Bruce Pearl was going to be the next coach at IUā€¦.and then news broke Woodson was gettin another year.

Would be hilarious if he went to Auburn. BUT pretty sure heā€™s headed to Kansas.
If they hire Bruce, then they've truly sold their soul. Dude would make Sampson look like a choir boy. Dirty as they come.

Reactions: Schnelk
That would cause massive meltdowns amongst the wearers of šŸ¤”
šŸ‘– but we are already over signed for available scholarships. I d LOVE to have seen that though! šŸ˜‚
We have, for a third year, a rotation of 10 players pretty set. Walk-on maybe?

Actually I believe they are in the final stages of becoming petrified
I wonder if a bunch of drunk, Knight-era hillbillies break into Simon Assembly Hall and tear down those banner in protest. Only can hope.

I know of an unsigned recruit who asked them to stop recruiting him. He cited lack of interest from Woodson not the staff. Went to an IU game on an unofficial visit Woodson blew by him and his mom without so much as a head nod. He must believe he can use the portal to build a team. The problem with that is recruits have to worry about competing with upper classmen who were promised a certain number of minutes. IU can no longer recruit and maybe that is why Woodson doesn't try. Any time I see people claiming a recruit is an IU lean I chuckle. Your assistant coaches can set the HC up, but he has to close the deal or at least try. It's a new world out here maybe Woodson is right in his approach time will tell.

What Woody lacks most, besides energy, is the knowledge of how to construct a modern college basketball roster. Matta and Fife know how thatā€™s done. But he decided he didnā€™t need their help. Seems like those were Dolson hires, not Woody hires. Bad plan.
The Buckner- Dolson basketball disconnect is bad. Total cluster.

Reactions: Mr_Scott
If they hire Bruce, then they've truly sold their soul. Dude would make Sampson look like a choir boy. Dirty as they come.
Yes old-dirty. Isnā€™t Pearl like 63? He still reminds me of a guy ready to jump on the next frat party invite.

I know of an unsigned recruit who asked them to stop recruiting him. He cited lack of interest from Woodson not the staff. Went to an IU game on an unofficial visit Woodson blew by him and his mom without so much as a head nod. He must believe he can use the portal to build a team. The problem with that is recruits have to worry about competing with upper classmen who were promised a certain number of minutes. IU can no longer recruit and maybe that is why Woodson doesn't try. Any time I see people claiming a recruit is an IU lean I chuckle. Your assistant coaches can set the HC up, but he has to close the deal or at least try. It's a new world out here maybe Woodson is right in his approach time will tell.
Nope. Remember the Covid-years pool of 26 year-old 6th year players is drying up next year. Less available players.

I am curious if Liamā€™s real reason to decommit. Like anything else, we will hear bits and pieces but never the truth.

Anything being put out by Peegs is leaked by the IU staff to make them look good or not as bad (dealers choice). Remember they were the ones who threw Fife in the mud on why Woodson got rid of him.

@oldboiler52 brings up an interesting point about Woodson being disconnected from reality and recruiting. Mt Verde is a basketball factory and getting access to their players is hard. Once you are in, you have access to the pipeline. If it is true that no one on staff bothered to go and watch him play, they might have nuked that relationship.

I am curious if Liamā€™s real reason to decommit. Like anything else, we will hear bits and pieces but never the truth.

Anything being put out by Peegs is leaked by the IU staff to make them look good or not as bad (dealers choice). Remember they were the ones who threw Fife in the mud on why Woodson got rid of him.

@oldboiler52 brings up an interesting point about Woodson being disconnected from reality and recruiting. Mt Verde is a basketball factory and getting access to their players is hard. Once you are in, you have access to the pipeline. If it is true that no one on staff bothered to go and watch him play, they might have nuked that relationship.
My understanding Liam is social media savvy and he and his family were put off by the toxic posts from IU fans. Not shocked. He also had to be communicating with some of the players too. I think IU will throw a lot of $$$$ at the existing roster but many players are unhappy with the experience they have had. Sleepy Mike is an administrator not a coach IMO. Assistants are recruiters only. No true family environment in IMO.

I remember their excitement over fleecing Illinois for Eric Gordon which resulted in no Big Ten Title and not a single Tourney win. I remember when they went gaga over "The Movement" that was going to bring them a Title. I remember when the Yogi/Zeller combo was going bring them a Title as well. I remember when they wore candy striped pants and showed up in herds everywhere a kid named Romeo went. He was for sure going to bring banner 6. I remember when we kept hearing how great they would be if they could get Woodson because his NBA experience would help them dominate in recruiting and on the court.

Frankly, I'm astonished this crap show has continued for so long down there. And most of it is rooted in an obsession over a past that's LONG gone. In 5 years their last Title will be equadistant to the ending of WW2. IMO, they need to swallow their pride, admit they're no longer a blue blood, and just find an experienced professional college coach who can restore some order in the program and chill the F out when doesn't decorate the walls with Final Four and National Title banners.

My understanding Liam is social media savvy and he and his family were put off by the toxic posts from IU fans. Not shocked. He also had to be communicating with some of the players too. I think IU will throw a lot of $$$$ at the existing roster but many players are unhappy with the experience they have had. Sleepy Mike is an administrator not a coach IMO. Assistants are recruiters only. No true family environment in IMO.
I read the toxicity stuff too but Kentucky fans are screaming for Cal to be fired after every loss. Shoot, we even spout off with fire Painter every year! I think it was a factor but 100% of the reason, not buying it.

I read that Woodson and staff basically stopped recruiting him once he signed. New era means recruiting your kids even when they are signed.

Side note, it is funny because they all wanted to hop on the rumor that Kanon was going to back off his commitmentā€¦.

By asking for release
So he can ask for his release but IU doesnā€™t have to give him one, right? Didnā€™t that happen to someone before where the school refused to grant the release? And the player still left, but had to pay his own way?

So he can ask for his release but IU doesnā€™t have to give him one, right? Didnā€™t that happen to someone before where the school refused to grant the release? And the player still left, but had to pay his own way?
IIRC, it was a guard at MSU. He could enroll at another school and use NIL to pay his way.

Nope, anyone can enter the portal for any reason.

Besides, if IU doesnā€™t release him theyā€™ll never sign another player from Monteverde.
Thatā€™s true, but wish there was a way to make a player that signed honor that commitment for at least a year.

Reactions: tjreese
Thatā€™s true, but wish there was a way to make a player that signed honor that commitment for at least a year.
having a commitment both ways is great, but that sailed I believe. A coach isn't going to play a player that is going to leave just because he wants to go to another school, because that school is probably parallel to the team he is on now and not a step down. One and done is understood. Right now the players have all the freedom and if a school tries to reduce that freedom it probably hurts recruiting, not to mention a disgruntled player on the team IMO

having a commitment both ways is great, but that sailed I believe. A coach isn't going to play a player that is going to leave just because he wants to go to another school, because that school is probably parallel to the team he is on now and not a step down. One and done is understood. Right now the players have all the freedom and if a school tries to reduce that freedom it probably hurts recruiting, not to mention a disgruntled player on the team IMO
I agree and itā€™s sad where weā€™re at and where itā€™s going.

who?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I read the toxicity stuff too but Kentucky fans are screaming for Cal to be fired after every loss. Shoot, we even spout off with fire Painter every year! I think it was a factor but 100% of the reason, not buying it.

I read that Woodson and staff basically stopped recruiting him once he signed. New era means recruiting your kids even when they are signed.

Side note, it is funny because they all wanted to hop on the rumor that Kanon was going to back off his commitmentā€¦.
Agree, but the kid was also talking to players he would be playing with as the only new kid. Current players were very telling of the state of the program. Watch Sunday. I think the end is nearā€¦..

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Saban was recently interviewed. He gave his reason for retiring squarely on the selfishness of his players. He said he was very disappointed in their attitudes and behavior after their loss to Michigan. He also said the part of coaching he liked was his team was one big family. But not any more. He said his after season visits were terrible. All his players he talked to wanted to talk about was guaranteed playing time and how much money they were going to receive!

He basically said he was tired of his players being so about themselves and whatā€™s in it for me attitudes!

It seems like thatā€™s the same at places like IU and Michigan basketball.

Agree, but the kid was also talking to players he would be playing with as the only new kid. Current players were very telling of the state of the program. Watch Sunday. I think the end is nearā€¦..
Gotcha. Yeah I am thinking there are some different camps within IU who are trying to gain control of the situation. That is why we are hearing so many wild stories right now. Both are trying to prove something.

Feel like one is led by Buckner who wants to have Woodson back for 1 more year. The other wants Woodson gone but not sure who leads that group.

Reactions: Flot
I think he was referring to their employees. šŸ˜ All the IU grad Walmart and McDonalds employees could start their own NIL initiative. What they lack in $$$, they make up in volume.
It was supposed to be Taco Bell coupons but their kid got arrested in the parking lot and destroyed the NIL opportunity. Sad for Indinia. Now players canā€™t wait to bail out.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
Got a DM from a buddy who said a multiple times banned poster keeps showing up here, reading threads, and then returning to the IU board so he can sob about them. Apparently many of the posts there are about the Boilers, so heā€™s in full meltdown. Said even some of the IU fans are ripping him apart over his obsession with all things Purdue. Just another Walmart fan in a Simon Mall world.

Iā€™ve posted on the IU board several times in the last few years and never feared being banned.

I was polite. Talked about Mother Bears and other things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT