ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Knight checks out!

A legendary coach, but at the end of the day a monumental hypocrite who was absolutely unable to abide by the standards he absolutely demanded of everyone he ever came in contact with….

Buckle up for the deification/canonization festival that will surely be spewing soon from Bloomington….

Last edited:
Love the story of him making up a recruit on his TV show.....later some dude ranked this totally fictional guy. He was a great, absolutely great coach. I will leave it at that.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
RIP general! Thanks for all the battles over the years and turning me into a passionate fab of the game (even if it was cheering against you and your teams). Hopefully you’re upside down for all those haters.

Reactions: bonefish1
He was an abusive jerk who happened to be a talented coach. There are at least fifteen publicly reported allegations of assault or verbal abuse against players, other coaches, and even administrative assistants, which tells me there are probably many others that went unreported.

He was an abusive jerk who happened to be a talented coach. There are at least fifteen publicly reported allegations of assault or verbal abuse against players, other coaches, and even administrative assistants, which tells me there are probably many others that went unreported.
Nobody I can think of better personified the adjective Machiavellian….

Philosophers will flash his chunky, red-sweatered mug for perpetuity when debating: “does the end justify the means???”

Coach Knight brought out the best in Purdue. Good coach but not sure where he was in his faith. Regardless, he know Jesus is real now, just hope he believed so before his death.

Reactions: Tommaker and TMA62
Total dickhead, but I learned to appreciate him more as a coach as I got older.

Also, he provided some of best soundbites in the history of coaches.
Agree 100%. Hated him as the iu coach but as I got older, I learned to appreciate his accomplishments and he did so without apologizing to anyone.
Was he an a-hole, most certainly. Was he great at what he did? Absolutely.

Sounds very much like a certain someone we know who's in the news often.

• Wow
Reactions: DrEss
If you haven't watched the unedited versions of "Golf Your Way, with Bob Knight", do yourself a favor and Google search and watch that video.
It's comedic gold and will give you a different appreciation of Knight.

Reactions: pboiler18
Growing up in Indiana, he was absolute legend.

If he wanted to start a cult in the 80s or 90s, he’d have a million people sign up to buy into whatever he had to say. How many people had a teacher or relative who tuned in every week to the Bob Knight show?

Watching his approach come into contact with the information age allowed him to be viewed in an entirely different light. He probably is now, and in the future will better be known as subject matter for case studies on a wide range of issues. He had a lot to teach, but there is also a lot to learn about him and his methods (both what works and what doesn’t).

RIP

Reactions: indyogb
Growing up in Indiana, he was absolute legend.
(HE DID HAVE) a cult in the 80s or 90s, he’d have a million people sign up to buy into whatever he had to say. How many people had a teacher or relative who tuned in every week to the Bob Knight show?

RIP
FIFY.

R.I.P. I don't have quite the hatred for him many Purdue fans do. I get he was controversial and he could be a jerk when people crossed the line (which was drawn at a much less severe level than most people could tolerate from the mid-80s on), but he was also quite supportive of those around him when they needed him.

Mostly, this makes me feel old. When I saw Gene during his Hall of Fame induction last year, he looked like he'd aged 100 years in the few years since I had seen him last. It was the same with Knight when he finally came back to Assembly Hall a few years ago (when Purdue beat them :D). Time is slipping away...

Reactions: herrli
If you haven't watched the unedited versions of "Golf Your Way, with Bob Knight", do yourself a favor and Google search and watch that video.
It's comedic gold and will give you a different appreciation of Knight.

In memorium....

200w.webp

200.webp

200.webp

• Haha
Reactions: bonefish1
I had forgotten just how much criminally physical abuse he levied inside his program. People defended him as "old school" but it was much more severe than that.

I was reading some of the depositions in the Ron Feller lawsuit. Knight had completely lost touch with reality by this point or at least any measure of self-control. Always felt bad for Feller - loyally sat next to Knight for 15 years and then the man assaults and fires him for showing concern for the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT