ADVERTISEMENT

Blough starts v Nebraska. Right?

Actually I wish Blough would run more when no one is open, seems like offense does better when he does this.
I thought I saw a scripted play against MN where MN was playing man and all the receivers ran left and the right side of the field was wide open with defeat of the defensive end who drew two OL guys to block him. Blough took off down the right side for a lot of yards at least once and maybe twice.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
You mean the mobility he did not use Saturday?
I believe he needs to look to run more with an option pass or lateral.

Huh?

He had a MONSTER RUN for about 20 yards where he was basically sacked by 3 guys and got out of it and took off up the field. That was on that last, potential tying drive. Without it, we lose 14-6

I watched the Penn St / Michigan game last night. The Penn St QB running made it really hard on the Michigan defense, which has been good on defense this year. Just another thing the defense has to cover, reason I like Blough running when no one is open or protection breaks down.

Huh?

He had a MONSTER RUN for about 20 yards where he was basically sacked by 3 guys and got out of it and took off up the field. That was on that last, potential tying drive. Without it, we lose 14-6
As I recall, that run was for his life as he almost got sacked. I agree OL play needs vast improvement.

Exactly my point. Sindelar would’ve been sacked.
Agree. My point is if Blough is playing he needs more scripted run options where he makes one or at the most two reads and either pulls the trigger or takes off.

Sindelar was not good. He didn't get help from his receivers, but he just doesn't have touch and doesn't help his receivers with placement. Blough gets the offense moving and can pick up first downs with his legs. I didn't understand why Sindelar started the last two, but the offense has been embarrassingly bad with Sindelar st the helm.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I don't think there's any doubt Sindelar has the higher ceiling but in between the ears, Blough processes the field better overall. Except when he doesn't. That's why he keeps getting benched. I do believe he's the best choice at starter until he f's it up depending on what the defense is giving us.

Reactions: DG10
Sindelar was not good. He didn't get help from his receivers, but he just doesn't have touch and doesn't help his receivers with placement. Blough gets the offense moving and can pick up first downs with his legs. I didn't understand why Sindelar started the last two, but the offense has been embarrassingly bad with Sindelar st the helm.

Let's not pretend that Blough is getting screwed. He hasn't exactly been very good either.

Have thought Blough is the better QB since the start. I think Sindelar can be a good change of pace quarterback for Blough but I think Blough is more accurate which leads to our best chance of putting together drives. When the opponent starts to take away the stuff Blough can hit over the middle then put Sindelar in to hit a few easy sideline routes to mix things up.

I don't think he's getting screwed David blough. But I'd like to see him play a whole game without getting taken out. When a quarterback has to look over his shoulder to see if he's getting taken out or not he's going to play that whole game tight. That's when you get bad quarterback play I think it's all in David Blough head right now. Wish the coach would tell him you're going to start this game and I'm not pulling you and see what he does then.

Let's be honest here, both our QBs are not that great. Each have differing flaws that cost us games and if one had really performed well enough that they created separation form the other, I have little doubt Brohm would stick with that one for the season and not be flipping back and forth.

Some of that is on the offensive line though because that whole line is not great either.

Reactions: ossim and Bippus33
Let's be honest here, both our QBs are not that great. Each have differing flaws that cost us games and if one had really performed well enough that they created separation form the other, I have little doubt Brohm would stick with that one for the season and not be flipping back and forth.

Some of that is on the offensive line though because that whole line is not great either.
Brohm wants one QB in the worst way!!! There is nothing in his QB/Coaching DNA that indicates that he prefers to play two QB`s.

Brohm wants one QB in the worst way!!! There is nothing in his QB/Coaching DNA that indicates that he prefers to play two QB`s.
Agree. If we're playing two then it's like I said, neither one is performing well enough to earn that spot and I think that is pretty clear.

We just will need to ride out the rest of the season like this and hope one of the new QB's comes in and fills that gap.

Reactions: Bippus33
I watched the Penn St / Michigan game last night. The Penn St QB running made it really hard on the Michigan defense, which has been good on defense this year. Just another thing the defense has to cover, reason I like Blough running when no one is open or protection breaks down.
also it's nice to have a 6'6 TE (gisicki ) w/ basketball skills, reason why I wish we would get Michael Parker.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I don't think he's getting screwed David blough. But I'd like to see him play a whole game without getting taken out. When a quarterback has to look over his shoulder to see if he's getting taken out or not he's going to play that whole game tight. That's when you get bad quarterback play I think it's all in David Blough head right now. Wish the coach would tell him you're going to start this game and I'm not pulling you and see what he does then.

if he's that soft mentally (i don't think it's a confidence thing at all) he's sure not a B1G qb. has he said that his confidence is hurt???

Keep in mind for DB.....Three systems in four years and i thought that Malone and the QB coach worked miracles with him last year..........

Blough actually had a very solid start to this year. He led the nation in efficiency after 3 games I believe. He didn’t make the finals for the Unitas award by accident. But he’s slipped since taking a backseat to Sindelar. I still think he’s our best bet and I hope he takes the opportunity to start this Saturday and owns it.

If we could combine the two into one quarterback he'd be solid.
Sindelar clearly has the stronger arm, Blough is more accurate and throws a more catchable ball. Neither one has the wherewithal to tuck and run when no receiver is open.

Dropped passes are bad but these INTs are game-losers. The genius of Bob Griese was to throw a catchable ball and avoid the INTs at all costs. In terms of arm strength, Griese would probably be the # 3 QB on the current team. But we need his type of accuracy and decision making.

Don't you remember the two horrible picks Blough threw vs. Minnesota? That's why Sindelar started the next two games.

Don't you remember the two horrible picks Blough threw vs. Minnesota? That's why Sindelar started the next two games.
He still has less picks than Sindelar. There's no question Blough has to fix his INT problem, but to think Sindelar is the antidote to that issue is false. Blough will start against NEB. It's his job to lose. I just hope Coach gives him a longer leash than the past few games.

He still has less picks than Sindelar. There's no question Blough has to fix his INT problem, but to think Sindelar is the antidote to that issue is false. Blough will start against NEB. It's his job to lose. I just hope Coach gives him a longer leash than the past few games.
I agree that Blough will start vs. Nebraska.

Reactions: Bippus33
Truth is, neither of them have played well enough to be the man so far. Brohm is frustrated by both of them throwing bad picks at really inopportune times. If Blough could stop being so mental and overthinking during games, it would help him and the team immensely. Just when you think he's going to break through, he throws an inexplicable pick again.

One thing that's apparent, Blough has a much higher completion %. It seems our WRs have an easier time catching Blough's passes, because Sindelar only seems capable of throwing fastballs on every throw.

Truth is, neither of them have played well enough to be the man so far. Brohm is frustrated by both of them throwing bad picks at really inopportune times. If Blough could stop being so mental and overthinking during games, it would help him and the team immensely. Just when you think he's going to break through, he throws an inexplicable pick again.

One thing that's apparent, Blough has a much higher completion %. It seems our WRs have an easier time catching Blough's passes, because Sindelar only seems capable of throwing fastballs on every throw.
Looked like Sindelar tried to take something off his fastball on the fourth down throw to Herdmann, and he missed him.

I don’t see how he doesn’t. With a subpar WR core and our best RB out, I think we need his mobility.
I agree.Sindelar has the most potential but he has only one throwing speed-hard.When you have marginal receivers you have to make your speed more catchable.

Sorry not buying that. As someone else posted, his high school WR's had no issue catching his passes. The wideouts need to sack up and just catch the damn ball.
I agree with all that, but wouldn’t you agree that Blough throws a more catchable ball?

The thing a great philosopher said about baseball applies to football. 90% of the game is mental and the other half is physical. Purdue has two very good QB's and a week ago there was talk about winning out. However, realistically we knew we would have one bad game. We just did. Thankfully it could not come at a better time, as now we have to step it up and win out. Our receivers have to believe that if they get a hand on it they have to catch it. Our line has to think that they need to hold their block for another second on each passing play. The QB has to pick up on the rhythm and lead us to victory. Winning out is doable. Boiler up!

Sorry not buying that. As someone else posted, his high school WR's had no issue catching his passes. The wideouts need to sack up and just catch the damn ball.
We've seen enough of Sindelar this year to know. He doesn't have touch. His has two speeds - fast and faster. When he throws faster, he throws more wildly and inaccurately.

Exactly........ and after two picks if there had been three a bunch of folks would have been calling for JB`s ass...When JB put Blough in the Whisky game Blough looked like a deer in the headlights when Whisky came after him.....What was JB suppose to do then.... I like Blough but JB is trying to set his expectations for his QB`s and neither are constantly meeting or exceeding them to this point.....

Reactions: BoiledSteel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT