ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 championship

Jul 15, 2017
Will we compete for a big 10 championship this year or will it take another season? Our offense will be potent in 2018, but I’m not sure the D will be strong enough?
I think 2019 will be the season! Brohm is the real deal.

Reactions: pboiler18
Just my 2-cents worth, but I would tend to say not this coming year. I like the offense, but there are too many unknowns for me on defense. Further out than that I hesitate to speculate, but I do think we will continue to improve each year. I agree about Coach Brohm. The product on the field was a lot better last year and recruiting has been picking up since he and his staff arrived. They deserve a lot of credit. I am very excited to see just what this team can do this coming season and see which of the young men coming in contribute right off the bat. I am anxiously waiting to see who they can bring in for 2019 as well.

Will we compete for a big 10 championship this year or will it take another season? Our offense will be potent in 2018, but I’m not sure the D will be strong enough?

With all that the defense lost, finishing with 7-8 wins (including the bowl) would be impressive. Purdue has a tough schedule.

The coaches seem impressed with what they have, but they will have a lot of youth of the defensive side of the ball and they don't seem overly active on the graduate transfer route on that side of the ball wother.

The offensive line will be better and as a result, so will the offense. There should be more consistent weapons at the WR position as well. Health will always be an issue because this team won't have any real depth until Brohm has a couple more years recruiting his type of guys.

I think '19 is the year to watch. They are targeting some incredible talent and getting good looks by that talent. Pull in some top guys that can help right away and the ceiling raises.

It is easy to get excited though. Brohm has these kids giving everything so it's possible we win a game or two against some really good teams.

If we can steal the home game against Wisky, we have a shot at making it.

8/31 Northwestern - first game of the year, Northwestern has been BAD to start years the last few seasons getting significantly better over the year. If that holds we should win this one.

9/29 @Nebraska - will Frost be able to do what Brohm did at Nebraska and instantly change the culture? I feel like he will, but we can win this game.

10/13 @Illinois - we better win this game

10/20 Ohio St - will probably lose, would rather beat Wisky if we can only beat one.

10/27 @MSU - MSU rebounded last year nicely, but there is still a ton of crap happening with those players - does this turn into another 2016? We CAN win, don't think we do.

11/3 Iowa - we beat them in their house last year with defense and just enough offense, we should have a much better offense this year and juuust enough defense to do it again.

11/10 @Minnesota - They were 0-fer last year in the B1G... We can't lose to a team like that. But trap game after Iowa and before Wisky

11/17 Wisky - biggest game of the year imo. Not a bad chance of being 5-2 in conference. And can hopefully, please God please, ruin a perfect season for them and get some revenge for 2004.

11/24 @IU - We should win, better coach and QB. Rolled them this past year, 3 TD lead under 5 minutes left.

If we pull off that Wisky win and go 7-2, we could own a possible tiebreaker and Wisky goes to Iowa, PSU and Michigan. I expect they lose at least one of those.

That is the path - or we could just win all the games! 'Tis the season to be optimistic! Boiler up!!!

We're going to need to exercise some patience. Going from DFL to mid pack in the B1G and being competitive in every game is great, but it's a much taller task to get to the top of the heap. Coaching can get you to 7-6, but we're going to need commensurate talent to Wisconsin and Michigan St. in order to compete for a title. As much as recruiting has upticked, we still have a ways to go. If we can avoid a setback this year and get back to a bowl game I will be happy. From there, adding an average of 1 win per year would be a reasonable goal. So, to answer the original question, that would mean competing for the title in 3-4 years.

We're going to need to exercise some patience. Going from DFL to mid pack in the B1G and being competitive in every game is great, but it's a much taller task to get to the top of the heap. Coaching can get you to 7-6, but we're going to need commensurate talent to Wisconsin and Michigan St. in order to compete for a title. As much as recruiting has upticked, we still have a ways to go. If we can avoid a setback this year and get back to a bowl game I will be happy. From there, adding an average of 1 win per year would be a reasonable goal. So, to answer the original question, that would mean competing for the title in 3-4 years.
Probably the more realistic approach.
To knock off a Wisconsin and/or Ohio State, we're going to need manpower to match their talents across the board and a bit of luck. We're getting there, just need to develop who we have & hope a few players are diamonds in the rough.

Very rational post, and spot-on.

The talent on board (and coming in) is decent. It's encouraging to see us getting interest from the high-impact players. That would certainly make a difference, but I don't think they're necessary for Purdue to push for a B1G championship game.

It's great what Brohm is doing. Unfortunately, my crystal ball sees some fans treating Brohm (down the road) in the same manner they've been treating Painter on the BB forum. Especially if we slip a year or two and don't get to the Championship game.

Very rational post, and spot-on.

The talent on board (and coming in) is decent. It's encouraging to see us getting interest from the high-impact players. That would certainly make a difference, but I don't think they're necessary for Purdue to push for a B1G championship game.

It's great what Brohm is doing. Unfortunately, my crystal ball sees some fans treating Brohm (down the road) in the same manner they've been treating Painter on the BB forum. Especially if we slip a year or two and don't get to the Championship game.
Or Tiller

Reactions: Purdue85
It seems to me Tiller retired on the job because he was sick of fighting the AD for competitive assistant salaries. Unfortunately we fans focused our ire on the wrong person and set back the program to pre-Tiller days. I don't know if Tiller would have been able to get his motivation back once he had his heart set on trout, though.
While all of that is true, we also became somewhat entitled as fans.

2019 is likely a year ahead of schedule IMO since that'll place a lot of responsibility on a brand new starter at QB in Plummer or Sipe.

The likely scenario would be the 2020 season:
@ Nebraska
Memphis
Air Force
@ BC
Rutgers
@ Illinois
@ Michigan
Northwestern
@ Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
@ Indiana

A good schedule that doesn't have back to back difficult games away from Ross Ade in that you only go to Illinois and follow it up with Michigan. The last two home games being Wisconsin and Iowa are a win to get those two teams at home. This would also be the junior year for the current crop of freshman along with a solidly experienced team all around with the QB having a full year of experience. Obviously Frost having his third year could be a drastic improvement and Minnesota is still a question mark...but that schedule looks much better than the 2021 schedule and the 2022 conference schedule hasn't been released yet.

It seems to me Tiller retired on the job because he was sick of fighting the AD for competitive assistant salaries. Unfortunately we fans focused our ire on the wrong person and set back the program to pre-Tiller days. I don't know if Tiller would have been able to get his motivation back once he had his heart set on trout, though.

Holy cow. Joe Tiller retired when he was 66 years old. He earned his retirement, and it was time.

I don't understand this (seemingly) unending need to demonize people when perfectly normal events occur . . . like the retirement of a 66 year old coach.

Did Morgan Burke have his issues? Yes, as does Bobinski. As do I. We all do.

Holy cow. Joe Tiller retired when he was 66 years old. He earned his retirement, and it was time.

I don't understand this (seemingly) unending need to demonize people when perfectly normal events occur . . . like the retirement of a 66 year old coach.

Sorry, didn't believe I was demonizing anyone, just pointing to a perspective of Tiller's last years. I don't believe he was given the resources he needed to continue at the high level we had grown to expect. I think he deserved better than how it ended, and what happened after was indisputable (which mostly fell on Burke). Please take it down a notch on the sensitivity meter.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Sorry, didn't believe I was demonizing anyone, just pointing to a perspective of Tiller's last years. I don't believe he was given the resources he needed to continue at the high level we had grown to expect. I think he deserved better than how it ended, and what happened after was indisputable (which mostly fell on Burke). Please take it down a notch on the sensitivity meter.

I don't post based on sensitivity. Don't claim such a thing.

Look, I'm okay with what you wrote. But, it's still open for criticism.

Your statement speaks for itself. It doesn't require any ridiculous claim of "sensitivity" to read your statement.

Hey... it is what it is. If you think he was "sick of fighting the AD", don't run away from it. You made the statement, grab a bag of courage and stand by your convictions.

If not, then put your statement on someone else's "sensitivity". It's that simple.

2019 is likely a year ahead of schedule IMO since that'll place a lot of responsibility on a brand new starter at QB in Plummer or Sipe.

The likely scenario would be the 2020 season:
@ Nebraska
Memphis
Air Force
@ BC
Rutgers
@ Illinois
@ Michigan
Northwestern
@ Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
@ Indiana

A good schedule that doesn't have back to back difficult games away from Ross Ade in that you only go to Illinois and follow it up with Michigan. The last two home games being Wisconsin and Iowa are a win to get those two teams at home. This would also be the junior year for the current crop of freshman along with a solidly experienced team all around with the QB having a full year of experience. Obviously Frost having his third year could be a drastic improvement and Minnesota is still a question mark...but that schedule looks much better than the 2021 schedule and the 2022 conference schedule hasn't been released yet.
Elijah will be a Senior in 2019.

I don't post based on sensitivity. Don't claim such a thing.

Look, I'm okay with what you wrote. But, it's still open for criticism.

Your statement speaks for itself. It doesn't require any ridiculous claim of "sensitivity" to read your statement.

Hey... it is what it is. If you think he was "sick of fighting the AD", don't run away from it. You made the statement, grab a bag of courage and stand by your convictions.

If not, then put your statement on someone else's "sensitivity". It's that simple.

There was a shift in tiller after the 2003 season. He didn’t take as many chances and he certainly didn’t recruit as well. Some of that was him and some of that was the plane issue.

His last couple recruiting classes were fair at best. They were bad by his standards

Burke's issues affected the athletic programs and down to all of us. Bobinski's issues have not been identified yet. My issues don't impact anybody. That is why it is so important.

Reactions: Purdue85

Burke held the major revenue programs back significantly. Whether he deserves to be demonized is up for debate. But the programs are still recovering because of his tenure. I'm not sure that needs to be debated.

Reactions: Inspector100
There was a shift in tiller after the 2003 season. He didn’t take as many chances and he certainly didn’t recruit as well. Some of that was him and some of that was the plane issue.

His last couple recruiting classes were fair at best. They were bad by his standards

There's a time and a place for every leader.

Lee Rose left Purdue after a Final Four.

Jim Young left after some really good success.

It could be argued Bill Clinton was the man after George HW Bush.

And George W was the man after Slick Willy.

And Tiller was the man . . . until he wasn't

Hell's bells, Churchill was ultimately replaced. Was it "his time"? LOL!

The circle of life . . .

Burke held the major revenue programs back significantly. Whether he deserves to be demonized is up for debate. But the programs are still recovering because of his tenure. I'm not sure that needs to be debated.

Okay.

How much? You claim he "held the major revenue programs back significantly".

How much?

And, how much was dictated by University leadership?

You're "not sure that needs to be debated". Really? How sure are you?

You admit, "Whether he deserves to be demonized is up for debate". So, what is it?

Should he be demonized, or not?

LOL!

It's not so easy when you're the one wearing the hood preparing for the execution, is it!

Okay.

How much?

You admit, "Whether he deserves to be demonized is up for debate". So, what is it?

LOL!

It's not so easy when you're the one wearing the hood preparing for the execution, is it!

He needs to be demonized. Whether he was following orders or not, the fact he was given a second swing at a filler replacement was ludicrous.

Okay.

How much?

LOL!

The last time I looked, he had the title Athletic Director, which makes him responsible. And he was the same athletic director pumping dollars into the non-revenue sports at a pretty good clip. If you don't recognize those facts, you have your head in the sand. BTW, Is your last name Burke, or are you affiliated with the athletic department? Because you're awfully defensive about it.

Reactions: Inspector100
The last time I looked, he had the title Athletic Director, which makes him responsible. And he was the same athletic director pumping dollars into the non-revenue sports at a pretty good clip. If you don't recognize those facts, you have your head in the sand. BTW, Is your last name Burke, or are you affiliated with the athletic department? Because you're awfully defensive about it.

Dude, if your position is so weak you want to charge me as being "defensive", and a family member, your cause is LOST.

It's over.

State your case or not, but when you play that card you've exposed yourself as a weak-ass bullsh*t artist.

There's nothing "defensive" about being factual. There IS something defensive about someone who has an emotional position. That's you.

Big Ten Championship? Realistically 4-5 years. You have to get this staff a full squad. They are doing incredible with talent in place. This year another 6-6 would be a feat after losing almost the entire defense.

Dude, if your position is so weak you want to charge me as being "defensive", and a family member, your cause is LOST.

It's over.

State your case or not, but when you play that card you've exposed yourself as a weak-ass bullsh*t artist.

There's nothing "defensive" about being factual. There IS something defensive about someone who has an emotional position. That's you.

You're a funny guy. Your posts are always factually based with no emotion. Give me a break.

Let me ask you a question. Do you believe Burke set the revenue sport of football back when he hired Hope on the cheap and then replaced him with Hazell? And then allowed Hazell to continue in his sh*tshow for numerous years?

No one but Burke is responsible for those two hires. Not the university leadership. Not the BOT. That's pretty factual.

Now, do your little thing where you say I'm the crazy person and you're the only sane person on the board.

He needs to be demonized. Whether he was following orders or not, the fact he was given a second swing at a filler replacement was ludicrous.
The Coach in Waiting just shows no backbone in my opinion. Worked for Painter, not for football. If you have a guy you promise next man up, that is fine. Argue we should have done that with Bruce Webber. But to bring these guys in for one year as an assistant is odd.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The Coach in Waiting just shows no backbone in my opinion. Worked for Painter, not for football. If you have a guy you promise next man up, that is fine. Argue we should have done that with Bruce Webber. But to bring these guys in for one year as an assistant is odd.

Weber already had a gig by the time Keady retired.

Hope was just a bad choice. Burke should have gone with chryst or spack

I feel kind of offended and ignored. 85 is attacking and bad mouthing somebody else today just because he has a differing viewpoint. Is this the way all your conversations are? You must be a really interesting person to talk to.

He had Chryst here to sign the contract but when Burke forced the coach in waiting BS, Chryst left...again, horrible decision by Burke. Didn’t couldn’t get out of his own way and the only backed in to getting Joe after failing to get Mason (horrible) and David (even more horrible).

You're a funny guy. Your posts are always factually based with no emotion. Give me a break.

Let me ask you a question. Do you believe Burke set the revenue sport of football back when he hired Hope on the cheap and then replaced him with Hazell? And then allowed Hazell to continue in his sh*tshow for numerous years?

No one but Burke is responsible for those two hires. Not the university leadership. Not the BOT. That's pretty factual.

Now, do your little thing where you say I'm the crazy person and you're the only sane person on the board.

Brother, you have some serious issues with me right now. I will say this: If this forum was in search of someone to play the role of the angry, crotchety old man, you now have that covered.

If you've been paying attention, my position on this has been clear, just like my last thread when you chased me all over the forum.

I'll let your rant stand, and move on.

I feel kind of offended and ignored. 85 is attacking and bad mouthing somebody else today just because he has a differing viewpoint. Is this the way all your conversations are? You must be a really interesting person to talk to.

Different viewpoints are fine. Droning on and on about people who are long gone gets old and tired.

We can play that bit if you folks want. It just seems really petty.

But, hey, have at it if it's your thang!

Could be. Hindsight is always 20/20.

But, it's interesting to see Spack's name mentioned, and some of the people that have liked your post. I remember some of the forum experts were really badmouthing the idea of a Spack hire at that time.

Spack has been at Illinois State for 9 seasons, and has had only 2 really good years in which he went 7-1 in conference play for both seasons, losing in the FCS Championship game in one of those. Otherwise, he's been around a .500 coach in conference play.

I don't think a Spack hire would have gotten Burke any points with his critics.

Could be. Hindsight is always 20/20.

But, it's interesting to see Spack's name mentioned, and some of the people that have liked your post. I remember some of the forum experts were really badmouthing the idea of a Spack hire at that time.

Spack has been at Illinois State for 9 seasons, and has had only 2 really good years in which he went 7-1 in conference play for both seasons, losing in the FCS Championship game in one of those. Otherwise, he's been around a .500 coach in conference play.

I don't think a Spack hire would have gotten Burke any points with his critics.

Probably not, but it wouldn’t have turned the program into a dumpster fire like hope and hazell did

Probably not, but it wouldn’t have turned the program into a dumpster fire like hope and hazell did

Okay, that might be the case. I'm interested in what you've seen from Spack that makes you think the results would have been so much better.

Hope was at EKU for 5 years, and in conference he went 6-2, 6-2, 7-1, 5-3 and 8-0.

Now, of Spack's 9 years of results, what screams out at you that he would have been such a better hire?

Understand, I'm not arguing for Hope, but countering your argument for Spack. This is our opportunity to show what experts we are.

Back in the days of Tiller, Hope was widely regarded as one of the gurus in recruiting. I was living in Columbus, OH, at the time, and heard his name thrown around multiple times as one of the best in the business.

bottom line, I don't think the hire was as horrible as some here are making it. Could we have done better? Well, certainly, but we have benefit of hindsight.

Hope could recruit individuals well enough. He was awful at assembling a roster. Our offensive line in his tenure was proof enough of that.

Spack probably wouldn’t have set the world on fire, but he was a very good recruiter in his own right and brought several good players from Georgia and Michigan. Also, he is a far superior in game coach

Okay, that might be the case. I'm interested in what you've seen from Spack that makes you think the results would have been so much better.

Hope was at EKU for 5 years, and in conference he went 6-2, 6-2, 7-1, 5-3 and 8-0.

Now, of Spack's 9 years of results, what screams out at you that he would have been such a better hire?

Understand, I'm not arguing for Hope, but countering your argument for Spack. This is our opportunity to show what experts we are.

Back in the days of Tiller, Hope was widely regarded as one of the gurus in recruiting. I was living in Columbus, OH, at the time, and heard his name thrown around multiple times as one of the best in the business.

bottom line, I don't think the hire was as horrible as some here are making it. Could we have done better? Well, certainly, but we have benefit of hindsight.
Well one thing is Hope, like Hazell, never served as a coordinator. They had no scheme that they had installed on O or D, nor had ever called a play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT