ADVERTISEMENT

Biden's Vietnam

@Bruce1 let's not abandon this thread. Would love to hear your expanded thoughts. I'm curious.

Also, since I last posted I just was reading up on the most recent census data.

Here is an excerpt

------
Overall, the U.S. grew by 7.4 percent over the last decade, down from 9.7 percent in the previous census.

"The slowdown in population growth this past decade is evident," said Marc Perry, senior demographer for the Census Bureau. "Only the 1930s had slower growth
------

This seems to confirm the basis of my thesis. We need more immigrants. Birth rates and the current pace of immigration aren't keeping up with the required population growth our economy needs.

The result? The slowest population growth since The Great Depression.

Chime in. These are serious issues and they need serious thoughts from people on both sides.

Let's lower illegal immigration to as close to zero as we can, while also enabling more immigrants to come to this country without outdated immigration laws.
Families. Or Women and Children arriving at our borders looking for better economic circumstances are not asylum seekers.

The plan should be to secure the border first and foremost.

Next, Create a Plan for DACA kids

Next, revamp our immigration system to fast track immigrant families who can support themselves and bring worth to our society.

Next, revamp, if necessary the temporary worker program keeping in mind that employing citizens should be the first priority.

That’s not a crime when we are fighting people who abuse women, refuse to educate females or even give them basic rights, harbor extremists who kill Americans on our soil and more. Having a few thousands troops on the ground to provide basic security support to a government that has addressed these atrocities is not war. Having tens of thousands of troops in Europe and Japan 75 years after WW2?

That's a crime
It is when trillions of dollars of our money was spent there and NOBODY WANTED TO STAY.

people live under bridges here. You could eradicate homelessness for $26 billion a year.. and you want us to spend money there on another cultures problems when we have our own? Have you been to a lot of US cities?

Reactions: Matt Tiger
It is when trillions of dollars of our money was spent there and NOBODY WANTED TO STAY.

people live under bridges here. You could eradicate homelessness for $26 billion a year.. and you want us to spend money there on another cultures problems when we have our own? Have you been to a lot of US cities?
People are living under bridges in this country because they want to. Hell, we already spend $800+ billion a year on welfare programs and we still have the poor. I trust you didn’t rest the report that I posted about the Taliban? Yes a lot of people here do care. Do you remember why we went there?

All politics aside, hopefully all the Americans and innocent Afghanis can get out of there safely. Sounds like the Taliban is entering Kabul now.

Families. Or Women and Children arriving at our borders looking for better economic circumstances are not asylum seekers.

The plan should be to secure the border first and foremost.

Next, Create a Plan for DACA kids

Next, revamp our immigration system to fast track immigrant families who can support themselves and bring worth to our society.

Next, revamp, if necessary the temporary worker program keeping in mind that employing citizens should be the first priority.
That’s not the first step. The first step.. stop the Monroe doctrine and the wars overseas.

example.. people bashed trump for the Muslim travel ban at airports. Why were they AT the airport? Because Barack Obama bombed their countries.

what country in Latin America hasnt seen life made drastically worse by US intervention or trade deals

you know a lot of Mexican people are here because their families were in agriculture for generations and nafta devastated Mexican agriculture right? Why were we doing shit like that? I don’t remember someone asking me if I would be okay with making life untenable for people who have grown corn in Mexico for generations.

100 years afo
People are living under bridges in this country because they want to. Hell, we already spend $800+ billion a year on welfare programs and we still have the poor. I trust you didn’t rest the report that I posted about the Taliban? Yes a lot of people here do care. Do you remember why we went there?
75% of Americans can’t afford a $600 emergency. That’s not a bunch of people wanting to struggle .. we live in a failed system. Nobody in this country wants what you want. They want out of these wars.

That’s not the first step. The first step.. stop the Monroe doctrine and the wars overseas.

example.. people bashed trump for the Muslim travel ban at airports. Why were they AT the airport? Because Barack Obama bombed their countries.

what country in Latin America hasnt seen life made drastically worse by US intervention or trade deals

you know a lot of Mexican people are here because their families were in agriculture for generations and nafta devastated Mexican agriculture right? Why were we doing shit like that? I don’t remember someone asking me if I would be okay with making life untenable for people who have grown corn in Mexico for generations.

100 years afo

75% of Americans can’t afford a $600 emergency. That’s not a bunch of people wanting to struggle .. we live in a failed system. Nobody in this country wants what you want. They want out of these wars.

The Monroe Doctrine only applied to our hemisphere. Stop trying to sound smart, you don't know shit.

The Monroe Doctrine only applied to our hemisphere. Stop trying to sound smart, you don't know shit.
Yeah moron.. that was a two part post..

1) stop the Monroe doctrine - by which I meant STOP INTERFERING IN THE AFFAIRS OF NATIONS IN OUR HEMISPHERE! That’s exactly what I meant! Stooge

2) then I went on to give examples of how we interfere in the other hemisphere

I wouldn’t say it’s about being smart. More about not being taken in by either of the two propaganda models.

half the people on this board think that illegal immigrants are the root of our problems and If they were just expelled everything would be roses. The other half are shit Libs who think racism is the cause of every problem

if you go talk to regular people about their problems without bringing up politics, illegal immigrants and racism will hardly show up. I’m smart enough to realize that..

100 years afo

We’re you alive on 9-11? We bombed the Taliban because they harbored Bin Laden. Muslims werent trying to come to the US because we bombed them. Such foolish comments.

We’re you alive on 9-11? We bombed the Taliban because they harbored Bin Laden. Muslims werent trying to come to the US because we bombed them. Such foolish comments.
I was. If It was just about what you say it was about then why did we go to Iraq? By the time obama was president why were we bombing in 7 countries?

im not foolish.. you’re not getting the whole story. Europe is overrun by refugees. Why? Because Obama took us from bombing in two countries to 7 and the Middle East is a gravel pit.

I think most Americans were okay with going to Afghanistan at the time. Staying there 20 years? Going to 6 other countries to bomb? Iraq? No… we have our own problems here. I’m concerned with those, not another countries problems

Read war is a racket by smedley butler

Lol. No.

I still want to help women and children at the border.

I'm not changing my stance on that.

Immigrants can come to the border and ask for asylum. That's not illegal.

Let's help those women and children. Since that's not illegal, AND they are women and children I'm sure you agree too that we should help them

A good starting point is to let me know what your number is . How many should we help?
I was. If It was just about what you say it was about then why did we go to Iraq? By the time obama was president why were we bombing in 7 countries?

im not foolish.. you’re not getting the whole story. Europe is overrun by refugees. Why? Because Obama took us from bombing in two countries to 7 and the Middle East is a gravel pit.

I think most Americans were okay with going to Afghanistan at the time. Staying there 20 years? Going to 6 other countries to bomb? Iraq? No… we have our own problems here. I’m concerned with those, not another countries problems

Read war is a racket by smedley butler
The refugees flooded Europe when ISIS filled the vacuum of US withdrawal from Iraq Not because we were fighting in seven countries, as you say. There is no question that we have made ongoing poor decisions in the Middle East. Biden just joined to parade of failure by pulling out the few troops and military support that was keeping the Taliban at bay. . With our withdrawal we have created yet another crisis there Where foreign fighters are joining the fray.

I am amazed that Americans so easily accept spending enormous funds to keep tens of thousands of troops in Europe and Japan for 75 years and gripe about keeping a few thousand troops in Afghanistan where there was fantastic progress over the years in basic human rights.

The US has kept Afghanistan in a constant state of turmoil to secure the opium trade. This has been well documented.

After years of pretenders and contenders and constantly second guessing myself, you have made this all very clear to me.

This is, beyond any doubt, the stupidest post ever made on this site. I am sorry there is no prize for you but the immense satisfaction of knowing you have topped us all!

• Love
Reactions: SKYDOG
The refugees flooded Europe when ISIS filled the vacuum of US withdrawal from Iraq Not because we were fighting in seven countries, as you say. There is no question that we have made ongoing poor decisions in the Middle East. Biden just joined to parade of failure by pulling out the few troops and military support that was keeping the Taliban at bay. . With our withdrawal we have created yet another crisis there Where foreign fighters are joining the fray.

I am amazed that Americans so easily accept spending enormous funds to keep tens of thousands of troops in Europe and Japan for 75 years and gripe about keeping a few thousand troops in Afghanistan where there was fantastic progress over the years in basic human rights.
We never belonged in Iraq in the first place. You wanted to go, I didn’t. That was where the poor decisions started. These people want to play games in the sand to Jack resources for corporations .. that’s why they lied the first time we went to Iraq BEFORE 9-11. Because this was never about security. It was about wasting all of our money to enrich the few. Iraq should be the country it was in 2003. There were no WMDs, George bush jokes about how there were no WMDs … he ****ing jokes about it moron.. and we had no ****ing business there

isis is always bad? Are you sure? Or do we sometimes work with Isis? Look up timber sycamore. Guess who is fighting Assad in Syria

After years of pretenders and contenders and constantly second guessing myself, you have made this all very clear to me.

This is, beyond any doubt, the stupidest post ever made on this site. I am sorry there is no prize for you but the immense satisfaction of knowing you have topped us all!
Find the lie.

From how fast the Taliban just took everything over, pretty clear that no matter what type of plan there was to get out of there, this was going to happen.

Yeah, looks terrible, but was going to be what happened. Useless war.
Ask the families of the people who died in the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Shanksville. Dumb comment, P4L.

Ask the families of the people who died in the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Shanksville. Dumb comment, P4L.
Initially, it was correct Bruce. Between tribal corruption and thousands of years of history, we were never going to make Afghanistan look anything like what we wanted it to look like.

As always in these countries, follow the money. I assume the Taliban bought off everyone along the way.

This withdrawal, after seeing all the details was something I agreed with Trump on. This was a monumental waste of money and lives after the first couple of years.

But Fox, OAN and Newsmax are saying how terrible this is now, so the parties dig in. It is stupid on both sides.

My brother-in-law is a retired DEA agent and was in Afghanistan pretty early on. When he told me how we were helping the tribal people build irrigation systems that eventually helped grow opium poppies, you knew this wouldn't end well.

This withdrawal, after seeing all the details was something I agreed with Trump on. This was a monumental waste of money and lives after the first couple of years.
Right. Trumpers bemoaning this should remember that Trump promised to withdraw by May 1st.

This is on the entire national leadership the last 20 years, and Bush and Obama primarily. Trump had little to do with it. Biden inherited the mess and obviously didn't execute this properly... but we lost focus and purpose over there 15 years ago.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Initially, it was correct Bruce. Between tribal corruption and thousands of years of history, we were never going to make Afghanistan look anything like what we wanted it to look like.

As always in these countries, follow the money. I assume the Taliban bought off everyone along the way.

But Fox, OAN and Newsmax are saying how terrible this is now, so the parties dig in. It is stupid on both sides.

My brother-in-law is a retired DEA agent and was in Afghanistan pretty early on. When he told me how we were helping the tribal people build irrigation systems that eventually helped grow opium poppies, you knew this wouldn't end well.
Well time will tell if we see terrorist activities regain a footing through the Taliban. In addition there were significant improvement in living conditions for Afghans with a major impact on women. Time will tell, whats done is done.

Well time will tell if we see terrorist activities regain a footing through the Taliban. In addition there were significant improvement in living conditions for Afghans with a major impact on women. Time will tell, whats done is done.
The silence from the Saudis and the rest of the Islamic world is interesting. I still think they are a major problem that are in the pockets of both parties. They are terrible with human rights but seem to get a pass.

Afghanistan has never been under control of a central government. It is a nation of warlords and has been for millennia. Everyone that has attempted to control that nation has failed.

One more edit: Pakistan is another one that didn't help us here.

Last edited:
Right. Trumpers bemoaning this should remember that Trump promised to withdraw by May 1st.

This is on the entire national leadership the last 20 years, and Bush and Obama primarily. Trump had little to do with it. Biden inherited the mess and obviously didn't execute this properly... but we lost focus and purpose over there 15 years ago.
I don't have a problem with getting out but the arrogance to believe the Taliban would let our people leave in a leisurely manner is a problem. Clearly no planning was made for a worst case scenario. Arrogance and the lack of planning led to the Bay of Pigs, the fall of Saigon, Benazir, and now Biden's Folly.

I don't have a problem with getting out but the arrogance to believe the Taliban would let our people leave in a leisurely manner is a problem. Clearly no planning was made for a worst case scenario. Arrogance and the lack of planning led to the Bay of Pigs, the fall of Saigon, Benazir, and now Biden's Folly.
The same thing was done with the Kurds in Syria after they beat down ISIS for us. It hasn't been a good two years on the diplomatic front for the US.

I'
The silence from the Saudis and the rest of the Islamic world is interesting. I still think they are a major problem that are in the pockets of both parties. They are terrible with human rights but seem to get a pass.

Afghanistan has never been under control of a central government. It is a nation of warlords and has been for millennia. Everyone that has attempted to control that nation has failed.

One more edit: Pakistan is another one that didn't help us here.
i don’t think the Saudi’s are anywhere near as bad as the Taliban although I do agree with you. That’s why I was happy to see the US becoming a primary producer of oil so that we could not be beholding to any country in the ME. This whole situation is so rediculous and maddening but by handing back this government to the Taliban we are again putting our homeland at risk.

I'

i don’t think the Saudi’s are anywhere near as bad as the Taliban although I do agree with you. That’s why I was happy to see the US becoming a primary producer of oil so that we could not be beholding to any country in the ME. This whole situation is so rediculous and maddening but by handing back this government to the Taliban we are again putting our homeland at risk.
You act like Afghanistan was under the ownership and rule of the US. We didn't sell them out, they sold themselves out. Collectively- and pay attention to that word before you spout off about 9/11- our homeland has never and will never be at risk to the Taliban.

You act like Afghanistan was under the ownership and rule of the US. We didn't sell them out, they sold themselves out. Collectively- and pay attention to that word before you spout off about 9/11- our homeland has never and will never be at risk to the Taliban.
Stated with the same confidence that Joe displayed when he told us we wouldn't experience a Saigon moment in Afghanistan.

I'

the Saudis literally did 9/11

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
Ownership and rule of the US? Not! The Taliban harbored Bin Laden and gave him protection. To deny that is foolishly wrong but you know that. To abandon them they way we did was criminal.

Bruce. Stop. You don’t know what you’re talking about and it’s embarrassing.

The Taliban haven’t done shit to the US. The Taliban don’t govern the whole territory so it’s a void and Bin Laden lived there. The Pakistanis harbored him knowingly.

15 of the 9/11 attackers and the entire foundation of AQ was Saudi. The bulk of the funding for AQ was from Saudi sources including some tied to the Royals. The only people who really believe the Saudis are our friends are the Bushes and others with monetary ties to Saudi oil, and people who don’t know much beyond the very surface of what Fox News tells them.

The Saudis (and the Pakistanis, frankly) are the worst kind of “ally.” That they foster Wahhabi extremism inside their own borders is every bit as relevant as the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Bruce. Stop. You don’t know what you’re talking about and it’s embarrassing.

The Taliban haven’t done shit to the US. The Taliban don’t govern the whole territory so it’s a void and Bin Laden lived there. The Pakistanis harbored him knowingly.

15 of the 9/11 attackers and the entire foundation of AQ was Saudi. The bulk of the funding for AQ was from Saudi sources including some tied to the Royals. The only people who really believe the Saudis are our friends are the Bushes and others with monetary ties to Saudi oil, and people who don’t know much beyond the very surface of what Fox News tells them.

The Saudis (and the Pakistanis, frankly) are the worst kind of “ally.” That they foster Wahhabi extremism inside their own borders is every bit as relevant as the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Hmmm. I guess you are the all knowing one.

This really isn't a partisan issue. Biden administration has been getting blasted from all sides on this one. A rare moment of unity among a lot of the media in United States.

This really isn't a partisan issue. Biden administration has been getting blasted from all sides on this one. A rare moment of unity among a lot of the media in United States.
Biden was the final person to screw up what has been screwed up for 15 years. I don't disagree.

The whole Afghan thing has been like a monkey f'ing a football.

Biden was the final person to screw up what has been screwed up for 15 years. I don't disagree.

The whole Afghan thing has been like a monkey f'ing a football.
You are correct but it appears you are using the other events to rationalize Biden's. This is by far the worst situation of the whole 20 years. A total FUBAR. We should have continued the stalemate.

Hmmm. I guess you are the all knowing one.

Nothing - nothing - in that article refutes a single thing I have said. The Taliban care about the Taliban and creating a caliphate. They didn't give a shit about the US before we invaded. AQ is global in reach. Whether they remain that way after being crushed since their last forays into international terrorism remains to be seen... as I said.

There is no question the Biden admin screwed this up. The point most are trying to make is there was unlikely to be any solution that didn't result in the Taliban regaining power in Afghanistan. We botched that when we turned our attention to Iraq in 2003, and even Obama's troop surge wasn't designed to crush the Taliban the way we should have in the first place. Bush screwed it up. Obama screwed it up. Trump kind of tied our hands with his agreement in 2020, and Biden screwed it up.

But here's the thing - our actions are only as strong as the will of our people. The will of the people has been against Afghanistan for at least a decade and probably more. THAT is why I keep saying we screwed this up in 2003 when the entire country would've supported going in and eradicating the Taliban with overwhelming force.

There is no question the Biden admin screwed this up. The point most are trying to make is there was unlikely to be any solution that didn't result in the Taliban regaining power in Afghanistan. We botched that when we turned our attention to Iraq in 2003, and even Obama's troop surge wasn't designed to crush the Taliban the way we should have in the first place. Bush screwed it up. Obama screwed it up. Trump kind of tied our hands with his agreement in 2020, and Biden screwed it up.

But here's the thing - our actions are only as strong as the will of our people. The will of the people has been against Afghanistan for at least a decade and probably more. THAT is why I keep saying we screwed this up in 2003 when the entire country would've supported going in and eradicating the Taliban with overwhelming force.
Yes that's fine. There was definitely a good argument for getting out of Afghanistan. There were also decent arguments for keeping a limited presence there for strategic reasons. But neither Trump or Biden wanted that, so that's fine.

But you didn't have to go with an inexplicable incompetent withdrawal plan. This wasn't some surprise attack, Biden had 6+ months to plan for it. We left Americans behind, we left valuable equipment behind, we left records behind that can be used to find Afghans that worked with US. Literally if you planned the worst possible plan, that's what Biden did. There was literally no reason for this level of incompetence.

Yes that's fine. There was definitely a good argument for getting out of Afghanistan. There were also decent arguments for keeping a limited presence there for strategic reasons. But neither Trump or Biden wanted that, so that's fine.

But you didn't have to go with an inexplicable incompetent withdrawal plan. This wasn't some surprise attack, Biden had 6+ months to plan for it. We left Americans behind, we left valuable equipment behind, we left records behind that can be used to find Afghans that worked with US. Literally if you planned the worst possible plan, that's what Biden did. There was literally no reason for this level of incompetence.
That was a lot of words to spend agreeing with me. Are you just used to picking fights with me, so you assume disagreement where there is none?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT