ADVERTISEMENT

Best win all year?

I doesn't "feel" like Wisconsin is that great of a team. If we are contenders, It seems like we needed to get this one handily. But no doubt, they are a smart and well coached team.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
I think the Arizona win may be the best win all year but being as this was a true road game, I’m wondering if this isn’t our best win to date?
I agree. This one has to be right up there. All three guards were engaged and productive all game. Zach had a solid second half to help us build a little cushion. Wisconsin is very good, deep, and experienced.

I'd say Arizona, Tennessee, and Wisconsin in a three-way heat for different reasons. Purdue's defense today , generally, was at a higher level than recently.

Possibly could see the Volunteers again.....you never know.

Still.....another Quad 1 win for the Boilers.....

20ntjzuupez21.gif

Last edited:
I think the Arizona win may be the best win all year but being as this was a true road game, I’m wondering if this isn’t our best win to date?

I really feel TN is the best team we have seen so far. Thus that win is tops imo. Might see them again in FF or final game ....but then it's Purdue in the FF/FG. YEA!

But a case could be made for today --- as it was on the road in a hostile environment with a crowd full of rabid inbred idiots. But thought our play was just average today.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
1A and 1B simply because I don't think we played a great game today. Against Arizona I thought we played better.
I agree. I thought we looked better against AZ but being this was a road win, a nice Q1 pickup.

I’ll say the Gonzaga win. It set the tone and proved to the doubters we could beat a top 20 team on the road! Beating Gonzaga gave the team the confidence to beat Marquette and Tennessee.

I recall going into that tournament Purdue fans were saying it would be nice if we came away with 1-2 wins. And we came home as champions.

And now, Purdue goes into every game both prepared and expecting to win.

Something I’m seeing this year that people on this board have complained about and criticized for the last decade. It appears that Painter is actually making half time adjustments! Yes, Jones has been a great addition. But it also seems as if Painter is also doing a better job of coaching.

I’ll say the Gonzaga win. It set the tone and proved to the doubters we could beat a top 20 team on the road! Beating Gonzaga gave the team the confidence to beat Marquette and Tennessee.

I recall going into that tournament Purdue fans were saying it would be nice if we came away with 1-2 wins. And we came home as champions.

Something I’m seeing this year that people on this board have complained about and criticized for the last decade. It appears that Painter is actually making half time adjustments! Yes, Jones has been a great addition. But it also seems as if Painter is also doing a better job of coaching.
It wasn't on the road.

No one was going to be happy with 1 win in Maui.

Reactions: Dryfly88
It wasn't on the road.

No one was going to be happy with 1 win in Maui.
I believe you should reread the predictions made on this board before that game and going to Maui. And the last time I looked, Maui is not in the state of Indiana, thus making it a road game. Road games on neutral courts are still by definition road games!

I would still take the Arizona game as the best game of the year because that game made me realized we could actually run the table come NCAA tourney time. Also it was extremely entertaining.

But this win is by far the most meaningful thus far because we are in the driver's seat for a regular season championship now.

I like this view, Wole! Even if Gonzaga hasn’t been as good as expected but at the time they were viewed as a F4 team. We hung with em and proved we could play with good teams still.

Agreed painter is making adjustments/game planning better/different. Hope we keep it up!

I believe you should reread the predictions made on this board before that game and going to Maui. And the last time I looked, Maui is not in the state of Indiana, thus making it a road game. Road games on neutral courts are still by definition road games!
Not in the NET rankings. Maui is neutral. "Road games" means on the opponent's home floor. Gonzaga, Tennessee, and 'Zona were neutral site. The Kohl Center is a road game.

Reactions: Schnelk
Great question, but the good answers you all posted with different choices lead me to this… Purdue, with the toughest schedule in the nation, makes it hard to pick the best win. Todays win was a great one of many, enjoy!

I would still take the Arizona game as the best game of the year because that game made me realized we could actually run the table come NCAA tourney time. Also it was extremely entertaining.

But this win is by far the most meaningful thus far because we are in the driver's seat for a regular season championship now.
I drove up for the Arizona game and came away feeling the same way.

I really feel TN is the best team we have seen so far. Thus that win is tops imo. Might see them again in FF or final game ....but then it's Purdue in the FF/FG. YEA!

But a case could be made for today --- as it was on the road in a hostile environment with a crowd full of rabid inbred idiots. But thought our play was just average today.
It’s pretty encouraging though that we can beat the 6th ranked team on their court on a day that we play “average “

Was today’s game in Bloomington, IN?

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Tight physical D by the opposition for many never looks like a good game.

While the elitist tone to your comment made me smile, lol..... factually yes, physical D will lower scoring and thus assists.....but when our team assists are only 12 like the W game, I think that is an average game, particularly for the Boilers who are good at sharing the ball in their team fashion for getting great shots.

Comparatively, in our other B10 wins where the scoring was lower due to physicality like this game, we had 16 A vs Maryland and 17A vs Rutgers.

Last edited:
While the elitist tone to your comment made me smile, lol..... factually yes, physical D will lower scoring and thus assists.....but when our team assists are only 12 like the W game, I think that is an average game, particularly for the Boilers who are good at sharing the ball in their team fashion for getting great shots.

Comparatively, in our other B10 wins where the scoring was lower due to physicality like this game, we had 16 A vs Maryland and 17A vs Rutgers.
it doesn't matter how you interpret thing as to what I wrote, the fact is a physical D allowed, as you agreed, does in fact make a game not so pretty and a physical D hurts the finesse team more than the athletic team.

When you have size and are allowed to body up and make it difficult on Zach and leave no room on the perimeter as noted in the number of 3 ball attempts that leaves a bit more one on one play to score. Purdue shot not quite twice the number of 3s against Rutgers as it did against Wisconsin. The reality was 8 more shots behind the arc for Rutgers and so give Wisconsin credit for doing a better job on the perimeter than Rutgers.

Purdue shot 26 shots that were not 3s against Rutgers and shot 46 shots against Wisconsin that were not 3s. Purdue had 12 more shots against Wisconsin than they did against Rutgers. Give some credit to the D that was allowed to play by Wisconsin in spite of what you may interpret an "elitist tone" when I try to state what I believe was in play. Just disagree if you choose and then state why...it is quite alright to have a different opinion without trying to guess what is outside the words.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT