ADVERTISEMENT

Best dunker

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
Who would get your vote as the best dunker in program history?

It was before my time but I've heard good things about Arnette Hallman.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
All the players mentioned were great. Of course Octeus' dunk was one for the ages. I always liked Kramer's dunks. And Lew Jack's dunk was damn impressive. JJ had some good dunks as well. Best power dunker IMO was Carl Landry. Big Dog was not to be denied on his dunks LOL. When I was younger, I always thought Atkinson and Doug Lee could get up. Same for Herb Robinson. Good memories.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

Arnette Hallman was the first name that came to mind before I finished reading your first sentence.

Can't argue with any other names given. I'll add Chuckie White to the list. He was the bounciest guy I've ever seen.

I certainly wouldn’t rate Jeff Arnold as one of the best dunkers, but he had one of the single most impressive dunks I’ve ever seen by a Purdue player during his junior year. He got the ball by the basket with room to gather up, and did a two handed slam with authority. It brought the entire arena to its feet.

I remember Demetrius Kilgore bricking a dunk so hard that it went to half court. ... maybe that's for a different list though

All the players mentioned were great. Of course Octeus' dunk was one for the ages. I always liked Kramer's dunks. And Lew Jack's dunk was damn impressive. JJ had some good dunks as well. Best power dunker IMO was Carl Landry. Big Dog was not to be denied on his dunks LOL. When I was younger, I always thought Atkinson and Doug Lee could get up. Same for Herb Robinson. Good memories.

I don't ever remember an impressive lewjack dunk. I remember a lot of talk about him being able to dunk, but I only remember one game where he had a break away and he barely got it down.

I think this Barlow dunk against msu is my favorite ever, mostly because it comes at home. If the octeus or carsen dunks at iu has been at Mackey, they would probably be my favorite.

I don't ever remember an impressive lewjack dunk. I remember a lot of talk about him being able to dunk, but I only remember one game where he had a break away and he barely got it down.

I think this Barlow dunk against msu is my favorite ever, mostly because it comes at home. If the octeus or carsen dunks at iu has been at Mackey, they would probably be my favorite.

Really?
5' 9" (maybe) and he gets this down pretty easy....

Honestly, Nojel reminds me so much of Barlow but has the right attitude and works his ass off every day to get better. From some of my people, you are all going to be very surprised with the development of all the guys but specifically Nojel, Sasha, and Wheeler. Those three benefitted from the year with the seniors and how things are supposed to be done.

The WORST dunks came from JB Carroll through no fault of his own. Every time he seemed to enjoy throwing one down, the refs would T him up.

Did you see my post of his dunk over Sullinger

Wonder if the Ts weren't the result of the end of the dunking ban and overzealous rules enforcement.
Wonder if the Ts weren't the result of the end of the dunking ban and overzealous rules enforcement.
It absolutely was! I had season tickets right behind one of the backboards in those days and even the slightest pull down of the rim resulted in a T.

Hallman I don't remember so much, since I was so young when he played at Purdue. I watched back then, but it's hard to recall much from that period (He graduated when I was maybe 9 or 10?).

Herb Dove and Everette Stephens were certainly high flyers; but for my money it would have to be Justin Jennings. He certainly had the hops tp get up, but he was just an angry dunker; a mean dunker. He was snarling and growling before he left the floor, let alone after throwing one down in an opponents face.

There isn't much video of him from back then, but I did find a TV-18 piece from some years back, with a couple quick dunks: (Dunks start about 20 seconds in).

Best Dunkers (since around '93-94)

1. Jennings
2. Dove
3. J. Johnson
4. GRob
5. Greg McQuay

Best Dunks:
1A Carsen @IU
1B Octeus @IU
2. Barlow over Sullinger
3. GRob over Ostertag
4. JJ NCAA tourney dunk vs Baylor

Here is a video with a few clips of Jennings and Dove that show off some of their athleticism. I remember Jennings timing an offensive rebound for a dunk from the block on a free throw miss that was ridiculous. I think it was a home game against IU. I wasn't very old, but that one always stands out.

. Vbg at Atkinson. I have a clear picture in my mind of him posterizing a buddy of mine at Brownsburg back in '81.

Reactions: PU pit bull
He, like carsen, was amazing for his size.
Little known story: playing at the CoRec while at Purdue, I was known as a pretty good player. Used to frequently play with the football players and basketball players but early on in the fall semester, I ended up stumbling in against Willie and a few of his buddies playing. A teammate ended up throwing an awful pass for a TO that Willie caught at about the halfcourt line. I sprinted to just try to contest a layup with ghost pressure...Willie ended up somehow jumping OVER ME And dunking it. Luckily it was done when cell phone videos weren’t a thing yet or I’d still be a YouTube star.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT