ADVERTISEMENT

Ballo to Indiana

I’m confused, Ballo and Reneau are mostly post contributors, and I don’t see where he’s picked up any high percentage shooters from the perimeter. I don’t know anything about the freshman coming in, maybe he’s got a strong perimeter game?

Ballo is purely post but Reneau can step out and knock down mid-range shots and the occasional 3. Mgbako shoots the 3 well enough that you have to close out on him, and the freshman appears to fit that mold as well. Regardless, I wasn’t talking about perimeter scoring when I said guard/wing centric. What I’m saying is I think he intends to spread the floor and get the ball to wings/guards that can get downhill and create. To this point, his offense has always run through the post. I also think there will be more of an effort to create turnovers and get out in transition. He’s had success on the defensive end and next years team will have more length and athleticism.

Ballo is purely post but Reneau can step out and knock down mid-range shots and the occasional 3. Mgbako shoots the 3 well enough that you have to close out on him, and the freshman appears to fit that mold as well. Regardless, I wasn’t talking about perimeter scoring when I said guard/wing centric. What I’m saying is I think he intends to spread the floor and get the ball to wings/guards that can get downhill and create. To this point, his offense has always run through the post. I also think there will be more of an effort to create turnovers and get out in transition. He’s had success on the defensive end and next years team will have more length and athleticism.
Reneau isn’t really an outside threat, or wasn’t last year really. We were happy to let him shoot, maybe he improves this year.

What’s interesting is you now have:

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo
Tucker
Galloway
Cupps
Leal
Newton

That’s 10 guys already and I would assume they’re looking to add at least one shooter and a big.

Besides the fact that Mbgako is slow and will have a tough time guarding the 3, IU is going to have to tell the 5 star Frosh they paid big money for, to come off the bench or one of the guards they just paid big money for to come off the bench. wonder if anyone will get upset over that?

So, if you play those first 6 I listed, you’re probably going to play Galloway, a big and a shooter next in the lineup. Which means Gallo is your 7th-9th guy off the bench with reduced mins. Cupps probably sees way less mins than last year being the 10th man and Leal will barely sniff the floor, barring injury. The 3 guys who showed loyalty and stayed at IU, get recruited over and pushed down in the lineup and minutes reduced. That’s pretty $hitty if you ask me.

That also doesn’t even include Newton…not sure how he fits into the lineup.

I guess from IU’s perspective it’s a good problem to have? But Not sure as a non 5 star as to why you’d want to stay and develop at IU if they are just going to recruit over you. But hey, this is the most talented team (stat wise) IU has had for quite some time so no excuses this year.

28532617_0.jpg

Most teams now play a third guard at the wing/3, teams won’t have a problem closing on Mgbako unless they put him up against 4s, presumably there will be plenty of time on the game this will occur with the lack of depth in the post.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
As an IU fan, I see next year as a win-win. We’ll either be good, or we’ll be looking for a new coach. Rice was the PAC 12 FOY, Tucker is a McD’s AA, Mgbako was the B1G FOY, Reneau is coming off a 15/6 sophomore season, and Ballo averaged a double-double for a top 10 program. Jakai Newton will be healthy and has a high ceiling, and the bench has experience. If Davis can’t compete for a conference title with that roster, he may as well pack his bags.
As an IU fan, do you see this as an IU team or a team comprised of mercenaries that are paid to do a job? I know if Purdue gets to the point of essentially making a team of transfers for money, it will be hard for me to identify them being Purdue people playing basketball. It is so conflicting, it is hard for me to know how much money to donate should a team being made up of transfers unaware of how much interest I'll have down the road. Some have no concerns.

As an IU fan, do you see this as an IU team or a team comprised of mercenaries that are paid to do a job? I know if Purdue gets to the point of essentially making a team of transfers for money, it will be hard for me to identify them being Purdue people playing basketball. It is so conflicting, it is hard for me to know how much money to donate should a team being made up of transfers unaware of how much interest I'll have down the road. Some have no concerns.
Agree with you on that Tj. I guess it makes me sound old saying this, but without any rules in place, college basketball is not what it used to be and going down the road of not being that fun to watch anymore IF teams just buy a new team EVERY year. This makes mid majors at a huge disadvantage by not having as much money and essentially acting as farm teams to the P6 schools. High school recruiting won’t be nearly as important.

However as a side note, maybe the AAU circuit will have to change and adapt.

Reactions: tjreese

Think that would make a great separate post....how many transfers would Purdue fans tolerate?

Recruits vs mercenaries?

To me it's just recruiting. As some HS recruits are commanding $. I look forward to watching new players, of high character, no matter wether they are frosh or transfers.

But when paying high dollar and then still losing or effort isn't there....might hard to take.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT