ADVERTISEMENT

Ballo to Indiana

IU is buying a stacked roster. Pretty crazy to think about how much they are allegedly spending. You can't blame kids for wanting a piece of that.

On paper they will be picked to win the B1G and be pre season top 10.

Now, what Woodson does with that talent is another story. I do think adding Rice and another high profile guard will help their roster construction. Chemistry and managing/motivating 7 kids that were just handed 500,000 -1000000 million dollars will be the challenge.

I still prefer the way Painter is doing it as a fan. I like watching the same guys develop over several years. Will be interesting to watch the contrasting philosophies of building from within vs buying free agents over the next 2-3 years.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Uconn used the portal pretty successfully?
I'm not a fan of college free agency either, but I don't blame the kids. Get as much $ as fast as you can. I'd do the same thing.
I wish Painter would embrace it a little more and realize he can quickly fill roster holes.

I'm not a fan of college free agency either, but I don't blame the kids. Get as much $ as fast as you can. I'd do the same thing.
I wish Painter would embrace it a little more and realize he can quickly fill roster holes.
UConn used it last year for 4 guys, 3 who made an impact. Of those 4, 1 transferred again this year, 1 was out of eligibility and 2 stuck around (Newton and diarra) and were key pieces. They added 1 this year in Spencer (very good add). Hurley used a lot of players he recruited.

However, this coming year will be interesting how hard he hits the portal to rebuild as they will be losing 4-5 players due to eligibility or to the NBA.

Reactions: Poprudy
X struggled with injuries the past 2 years. He was probably better than Rice as a freshman but seemed to get worse every year after that. I just don’t see rice as much (if any) of an improvement. They struggled from the FT line and 3 and they replace 2 of their 3 best 3 point shooters with someone who has never shot one and someone who shoots 27% (and next transfer was at 32%). Might be better man-to-man but I don’t think swapping X with Rice makes their roster better except for the health part.
Rice was a first team All PAC 10 player on a team that won a tourney game. He’s better than X, I’m not a IU fan by any stretch, so far they’ve bought 2 good players from the portal, I imagine they’ll get a shooter next. I will say this, not sure how Ballo and Reneau will function together next year.

Yeah, its what it is turning into. Slowly. "My team beat your team because we spent more money". I just cant wrap my mind around that when talking college sports.
Funny thing: When NIL turned college players into ring chasers and/or money chasers, do sports journalists still use the word "student athlete"? SHM.......
A cap needs to be placed soon or this will get really out of hand. Pro sports have caps, needs to happen here, stop it at 3 million, that way a team like Indiana State that maybe can get up to a million can still compete. Right now Ark, Kansas, UCONN, IU, Ky are near or at 5 million, that will keep going up and up, where’s it end? In 5 years will some have a 20 million dollar roster?

Reactions: Roeder and typeviic
How can you do both? CMP continues to recruit high school kids. We have a huge class coming in. I really dont know what the future holds since the era of NIL is still in its infancy. I suppose that once we get to a point that our recruits start to enter the portal (like whats going on w/the power-5 programs do), then we become the portal-builder?

Yeah, its what it is turning into. Slowly. "My team beat your team because we spent more money". I just cant wrap my mind around that when talking college sports.
Funny thing: When NIL turned college players into ring chasers and/or money chasers, do sports journalists still use the word "student athlete"? SHM.......

The irony is this is exactly what the NCAA din't want/intend (so they say), and so naturally, it's exactly what they get/got. I've mentioned this before.....the NCAA hierarchy is more incompetent than the gentlemen who negotiated the Kellogg-Briand pact......and that's saying something.

Let's see....you don't want this to be a recruiting tool but provide no definitive rules or guidelines or enforcement. Meanwhile, you provide basically a five-year period for an extra year of eligibility AND essentially allow unlimited transfers.....with no guardrails.....what do you think is going to happen?

But I say Good Show 'ol Boy.....Jolly Good Show!

Pres-Calvin-Coolidge-Kellogg-Briand-Pact-Washington-DC-January-1929.jpg

Last edited:
A cap needs to be placed soon or this will get really out of hand. Pro sports have caps, needs to happen here, stop it at 3 million, that way a team like Indiana State that maybe can get up to a million can still compete. Right now Ark, Kansas, UCONN, IU, Ky are near or at 5 million, that will keep going up and up, where’s it end? In 5 years will some have a 20 million dollar roster?
If there never is a cap, then the NCAA tournament will be 95% won by superteams that buy players. Nobody wants that.

Here we go again with the old banner argument.

Purdue people aren’t intelligent enough to know that they have zero in anyone’s existence. We could have 5 one hundred years ago and your bannerless drought still is longer. It’s infinite. As in never won one.

So the question is, who that has ever existed on earth remembers anything about any of Purdues titles.

Well that answer is no one because they are a worthless program and can’t win anything.

And for the 10th time today. You are owned.
Thought so. Not a thing. Nada zilch. Your silly childish little "you are owned" is pathetic. This is a message board I don't get self worth out of this like you. Get a real life or some help.

Thought so. Not a thing. Nada zilch. Your silly childish little "you are owned" is pathetic. This is a message board I don't get self worth out of this like you. Get a real life or some help.
Aww be nice to Jared. He's stuck in his mom's basement, his uncle-daddy won't "play" with him anymore, his Indinia team has to struggle and pay players just to be mediocre, he had to watch us go to a FF while his Indinia team didn't even play in the NIT and he sees our class coming in and knows that they have no hope of their program ever being more than a doormat especially with the conference expansion.

His only way to make himself feel better is to vomit nonsense on our board because otherwise he'd have to face reality, and he doesn't want the punch in the face. His delusion runs so deep that he thinks he is "owning" people here yet fact is, he just embarrasses himself and the school he never attended yet supports. He likely has to use spell check just to spell Bloomington correctly and look on a map so he doesn't get confused with the one in Illinois. He's a genuine mental midget and I honestly pity him.

I also pity his parents as I am sure they are tired of him living in their basement and the smells that go with it. Their Hot Pocket budget must be something to behold.

Reactions: z_one and Schnelk
Aww be nice to Jared. He's stuck in his mom's basement, his uncle-daddy won't "play" with him anymore, his Indinia team has to struggle and pay players just to be mediocre, he had to watch us go to a FF while his Indinia team didn't even play in the NIT and he sees our class coming in and knows that they have no hope of their program ever being more than a doormat especially with the conference expansion.

His only way to make himself feel better is to vomit nonsense on our board because otherwise he'd have to face reality, and he doesn't want the punch in the face. His delusion runs so deep that he thinks he is "owning" people here yet fact is, he just embarrasses himself and the school he never attended yet supports. He likely has to use spell check just to spell Bloomington correctly and look on a map so he doesn't get confused with the one in Illinois. He's a genuine mental midget and I honestly pity him.

I also pity his parents as I am sure they are tired of him living in their basement and the smells that go with it. Their Hot Pocket budget must be something to behold.
Tbh I think he’s a UT fan who is still butt hurt about losing to Purdue and trying to troll us by acting as an IU fan

Reactions: z_one and BBG
I think I saw at one point, and could be more now, 12 of the 16 all MVC conference guys were in the portal. Crazy

• Wow
Reactions: z_one
If there never is a cap, then the NCAA tournament will be 95% won by superteams that buy players. Nobody wants that.
Agreed, I don’t mind some NIL, however, cap it for the good of the game like pro leagues though. Let’s be honest, Ark, KY are now at 5 million, that goes to 10
Million soon.

Reactions: z_one
I think I saw at one point, and could be more now, 12 of the 16 all MVC conference guys were in the portal. Crazy
Yep, now a mid tier team that took a player the larger school didn’t want develope him and promptly lose him if he gets good. If a Cap is say capped at 3 million some will have to come back to say a 750K Indiana State program. If it continues to rise even sitting on a big market bench is better than starting on a mid major team, that sucks.

Rice was a first team All PAC 10 player on a team that won a tourney game. He’s better than X, I’m not a IU fan by any stretch, so far they’ve bought 2 good players from the portal, I imagine they’ll get a shooter next. I will say this, not sure how Ballo and Reneau will function together next year.
The shooter they all think they are getting that has the crystal balls shot 32% from three last year (Carlyle). I’m not saying you have to be good from three to win games, you can did it but if you better be damn good at everything else.

The shooter they all think they are getting that has the crystal balls shot 32% from three last year (Carlyle). I’m not saying you have to be good from three to win games, you can did it but if you better be damn good at everything else.
Rice had a stretch of 0-22 to end the regular season and from 2/17 on was 4/35. Carlyle was not much better going 7/32 in that time frame—majority of his 32 makes came in a few games. Both like to shoot it a lot, so will
Be interesting to see who gets to do that between them and Mbtako, Reneau and Ballo.

Rice had a stretch of 0-22 to end the regular season and from 2/17 on was 4/35. Carlyle was not much better going 7/32 in that time frame—majority of his 32 makes came in a few games. Both like to shoot it a lot, so will
Be interesting to see who gets to do that between them and Mbtako, Reneau and Ballo.
Good points. I would also note that the pac has 10 players on their first team and a smaller pool of players,, all conference and it’s clear for the list he would have been on second team if they did the traditional five like the Big Ten. So he would be up there with Tominaga and storr.
It should also be noted that his coach was coach of the year, not quite the same at Indiana.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
IU's going to continue to do what IU does. Ballow is a downgrade from Ware and he's leaving a program that had a crap culture and a bad locker room. They had multiple 5* talent on last year's roster and couldn't even make the tournament... will be the same this year because Ballo and these big N$L guys don't give to craps about IU basketball, only the money. They've built a crap culture and have gone too far down the rabbit hole to pull themselves out of it. The southern inbreds are going to convince everyone this summer how great they're going to be.... again and again and again.......

Is it confusing to you that you’ve never won a title? Let’s talk final fours. How many wins in the final fours? How many banners? Oh yeah you guys avoid facts that matter!

None of you will ever see a title in your lifetime!
You haven't either! LOL You're just mesmerized by 40 year old banners. LOL

The only number that matters is 5-0.

5 times our season ended with the ultimate goal. 0 times for you. You wouldn’t trade anything if you had those 5 banners and you know that.

Quit acting like your okay being forever losers!
5-95 by your reckoning. You only count NCAA championships so in the last 100 years you LOST 95 % of the time. LOOSIERS. LOL

I bet they’ll get Essegian as well, I mean, he could be ok I guess. IU will be ok, likely a tourney team, likely a team Purdue should beat twice.

It seems like a lot of deals are being made in the recruitment process.
My understanding was that is against the NCAA rules.
Wait a minute NCAA rules, what rules!!

Reactions: Schnelk and z_one
I have faith Mike Woodson will be able to take all the talent and do just as well with it as he did last year.

honest question: have you seen Indiana win a title? I was pushing 4 years old win Indiana won in 1987 and quite frankly didn't see it in my life time. So that means we're even...I've never seen Indiana win a title. L'Hoosier. ... :)
No this poster hasn’t and not sure they’re even an IU fan

IU's going to continue to do what IU does. Ballow is a downgrade from Ware and he's leaving a program that had a crap culture and a bad locker room. They had multiple 5* talent on last year's roster and couldn't even make the tournament... will be the same this year because Ballo and these big N$L guys don't give to craps about IU basketball, only the money. They've built a crap culture and have gone too far down the rabbit hole to pull themselves out of it. The southern inbreds are going to convince everyone this summer how great they're going to be.... again and again and again.......
Exactly why Purdue made it to the NC game. CMP has built a culture and it's built by recruiting. I might have an old school mentality but money isn't going to solve everyone's problems.

IU will spend and fail just like their past has shown. They keep spending with nothing gained. I'm happy for their fans to have belief in a coach that has zero knowledge coaching college sports.

Reactions: z_one and BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT