ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West

Roeder

Junior
Jun 21, 2007
Now that it looks like football happening and Rondale is back, how do you see the West shaking out?

1. Minnesota - Return entire oline and QB. Can they replace WR production and losses on D?

2. Wisconsin - I'm putting them here because they are Wisconsin, but if the offense sputters post loss of playmakers Taylor and Cephus they might have an unexpected drop like NW last year.

3. Iowa - Unknown at QB will determine how season goes. Solid overall roster. Like that Purdue gets crack at them first.

4. Purdue - Offensive potential is scary good. Is one of the QBs ready to take next step? New DC and scheme have to improve D, right? Neal being healthy might be biggest key to season.

5. NW - Getting IUs QB should help that offense score some points. Defense is always tough.

6. Neb - Brutal schedule. Don't see how they can make it above .500 unless Frost can find some of that UCF magic.

7. ILL - I need to see it again before I believe it. They return most of offense though and likely will finish higher.

Overall I like Purdue's chances as a sleeper team. This really could go any number of ways and is wide open. Minny, Iowa, and Wisconsin had some big losses and teams at bottom return more starters. Should be fun to see how it plays out.

Good summary.I think this season could play out a number of ways and its going to be tough to wait four more weeks for it to start.

Reactions: TMFT

Iowa has a good QB in 3rd year sophomore Spencer Petras. Broke Jared Goff's high school records in Northern California.

Strong, experienced skill group back at Iowa. Strong receiver room for Iowa standards. Purdue is tops in B1G.

Looking forward to rivalry game.

Reactions: bananabucket
Still waiting on that west champion to win a BT championship.

Still waiting on that IU team to be competitive, to the point they can beat UM, OSU or PSU.

Good grief, dude. Don't be an idiot any more.

Purdue went to the Rose Bowl, in a year in which we played OSU, UM, PSU, UW, MSU and ND.

IU fans continue to look for excuses. You and your brothers are a bunch of losers.

Suck it up and play the d@mn games.

Or... make excuses.

Losers make excuses.....

Ohio State... Penn State... Meatchicken... ANYTHING!

That's aiming too high..how about they beat a D1/FBS program that finished ranked, or at least with a winning record in their conference(a big O-fer so far for allen). Not actually sure they've beaten ANY team that has finished with a winning conference record, even among their many FCS opponents.

Reactions: Purdue85
I think we can make some noise in the West. Minnesota is going to be even more solid with more than like Bateman back now too. Wisconsin is Wisconsin. Rondale helps us in the talent and big play capability, but it cannot be overlooked on how he will help us by leading by example and attitude now. It was a huge pick up in team attitude and morale knowing that we have a Heisman contender back on the team and the publicity that he brings to the team.

To make 2020 a big season, since the schedule is better for us now, we have to get the QB production consistent, since the QB definitely has weapons. However, some of the QB questions could be solved by better line play obviously and having time to throw to our weapons.

We also have to create pressure on the line. Neal and Karlaftis provide a strong foundation, but we have to get another end to provide that pressure too. We have big question marks at LB, so our new defensive scheme is going to be interesting until our team is used to it.

I know we have to travel to Minnesota and Wisconsin, but the biggest question for most team is how will they play in an empty stadium, home and away. Camp Randall will not be as big of weapon with no fans. IU does have that advantage over almost every other BT team, except for maybe Rutgers, of being used to playing in an empty home stadium week in and week out.

Iowa has a good QB in 3rd year sophomore Spencer Petras. Broke Jared Goff's high school records in Northern California.

Strong, experienced skill group back at Iowa. Strong receiver room for Iowa standards. Purdue is tops in B1G.

Looking forward to rivalry game.

Thanks for sharing. If Petras plays well I could definitely see Iowa winning the division.

It is hard to know until guys get out there though. That RS Freshman that Georgia rolled out as the starter yesterday played some awful football. Luckily his backup could play and they rolled late.

Thanks for sharing. If Petras plays well I could definitely see Iowa winning the division.

It is hard to know until guys get out there though. That RS Freshman that Georgia rolled out as the starter yesterday played some awful football. Luckily his backup could play and they rolled late.
Same thing happened to LSU. Was not impressed with Myles Brennan, at all. He made a couple of good, long throws. But only had a QBR of 32...plus, they lost the game...

Agree. And, what does covid-19 bring for each Big Ten program.

Iowa has had Kirk Ferentz for a coach for 22 years.

In 2002, Purdue at Iowa was a critical game. It was Iowa's fourth season under KF's first OC. Iowa pulled out the win, with a first year starting QB and closed out Big Ten season 8-0.

In 2015, first year starter QB CJ Beathard lead Iowa to 12-0, as again KF's second OC went 8-0 in his fourth season.

They will need to start, by getting by Purdue. If Iowa goes 8-0, it would be the third time under a fourth year OC for Kirk Ferentz.
  • Ken O'Keefe (2002), now QB coach
  • Greg Davis (2015) left after 2016 season [Iowa was 4-1 against Purdue 2012 to 2016]
  • Brian Ferentz, now in his 4th year, as OC, 1-2 vs. Purdue
Iowa scored a solid bowl win to finish 10-3 in 2019. Solid win over USC. The offense really took off, after a sluggish 2019 at times.

Purdue is always a challenging game. In 2002, the win really carried the momentum forward onward to the first of two undefeated Big Ten regular seasons, under Kirk Ferentz.

Agree. And, what does covid-19 bring for each Big Ten program.

Iowa has had Kirk Ferentz for a coach for 22 years.

In 2002, Purdue at Iowa was a critical game. It was Iowa's fourth season under KF's first OC. Iowa pulled out the win, with a first year starting QB and closed out Big Ten season 8-0.

In 2015, first year starter QB CJ Beathard lead Iowa to 12-0, as again KF's second OC went 8-0 in his fourth season.

They will need to start, by getting by Purdue. If Iowa goes 8-0, it would be the third time under a fourth year OC for Kirk Ferentz.
  • Ken O'Keefe (2002), now QB coach
  • Greg Davis (2015) left after 2016 season [Iowa was 4-1 against Purdue 2012 to 2016]
  • Brian Ferentz, now in his 4th year, as OC, 1-2 vs. Purdue
Iowa scored a solid bowl win to finish 10-3 in 2019. Solid win over USC. The offense really took off, after a sluggish 2019 at times.

Purdue is always a challenging game. In 2002, the win really carried the momentum forward onward to the first of two undefeated Big Ten regular seasons, under Kirk Ferentz.
I can understand your zeal, but we've won 2 of the last 3. We believe it will be 3 of 4 come October. Should be a great game.

At the top, the East has the edge on talent.

Top to bottom, the West has the makings of being (by far) a much more solid division.
The West is much more wide open, which is exciting. Realistically, everyone in the East is playing for 2nd place.

The real downside to the West is the parity makes it more likely for them to cannibalize each other's records where there are multiple schools with 1 or 2 losses in the division. Fewer trash teams than the East. Even last year's trash West team (NW) wasn't really all THAT bad. Just a crappy record.

Agreed. Iowa fan. Petras has ability. Ferentz talks positively about him, which he just doesn't do unless a guy has shown things in practice. But we really have no idea until he actually has to go out and do it in a game. We didn't even get a chance to see him in the spring as COVID hit before Iowa started spring practice. If Petras is a good QB, the rest of Iowa's offense is better than Iowa has had in quite a while.

Reactions: cidsports
This group of wr's is possibly the best Iowa has ever had, certainly the best in recent memory. Expect a typical Phil Parker defense, bend/don't break, which plays to what Purdue does well with short passes to playmakers. Iowa is solid everywhere. I expect a shoot out & whoever scores last wins. Peace most hated rival.:)

This group of wr's is possibly the best Iowa has ever had, certainly the best in recent memory. Expect a typical Phil Parker defense, bend/don't break, which plays to what Purdue does well with short passes to playmakers. Iowa is solid everywhere. I expect a shoot out & whoever scores last wins. Peace most hated rival.:)
To be fair I can name zero Iowa WRs ever so I don't think this is saying too much

Blaming losses on injuries is an excuse.
All I’ve read on here the past two years is blaming losses on injuries.
So I guess that makes you losers?

Their whole fan base existence is based on excuses. Hummel...wahhh. Haas....wahh. Rondale...wahh. There’s an excuse for everything. A fan base of “what could have been” is a nice summation of their athletic history.

Last edited:
Their whole fan base existence is based on excuses. Hummel...wahhh. Haas....wahh. Rondale...wahh. There’s an excuse for everything. A fan base of “what could have been” is a nice summation of their athletic history.
I seem to recall a thread in the basketball forum where I questioned Archie Miller not getting the job done. All I heard from you, if I recall correctly, is the number of injuries he had in his tenure. If it wasn't you, it was one of your cohorts. So maybe you could stop coming to a Purdue board while being a flaming hypocrite...

I seem to recall a thread in the basketball forum where I questioned Archie Miller not getting the job done. All I heard from you, if I recall correctly, is the number of injuries he had in his tenure. If it wasn't you, it was one of your cohorts. So maybe you could stop coming to a Purdue board while being a flaming hypocrite...

Yeah, don’t know what you’re talking about. Sure certain injuries to certain players happens to every program in every sport, but I’ve never seen a fan base lament on injuries as an excuse for lack of success quite like Purdue. It’s sad.

But yeah...losers.

C'mon, Pat. They're not hypocrites. They're just trying post idiotic statements they think translate into cogent points.

They need a pat on the head, with an assuring, "you're right". Pat them on they head and grin at them.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Blaming losses on injuries is an excuse.
All I’ve read on here the past two years is blaming losses on injuries.
So I guess that makes you losers?
I have never known an IU fan who would admit that Purdue has beaten IU in basketball without saying the refs took the game away from the Hoosiers .So if Purdue fans are losers and the Boilermakers have beaten Indiana 30 plus more times in both football and basketball what does that make Hoosier fans?Blaming the referees consistantly is the ultimate Hoosier mentality.

I have never known an IU fan who would admit that Purdue has beaten IU in basketball without saying the refs took the game away from the Hoosiers .So if Purdue fans are losers and the Boilermakers have beaten Indiana 30 plus more times in both football and basketball what does that make Hoosier fans?Blaming the referees consistantly is the ultimate Hoosier mentality.

Lol.

“The Hall or Calls”? I’ve not seen a single other fan base refer to IU’s arena as this. Purdue fans bitch about officiating before the game is even played.

Lol.

“The Hall or Calls”? I’ve not seen a single other fan base refer to IU’s arena as this. Purdue fans bitch about officiating before the game is even played.
You are just wrong.I didnt say anything about The Hall of Calls.I dont have to since Purdue has won four straight games at Gloomington,while IU has never won more than two straight at Mackey Arena.The Boilermakers have topped IU 10 times in the last 11 games,and 15 out of the past 20,winning the last seven in a row.IU didnt achieve any of those accomplishments versus Purdue even when RMK was on the sidelines.Wasnt that a beautiful sight when those Hoosier fans were streaming out of Assembly Hall last February late in the game when it was obvious Purdue would win?Even Dickie V.stopped slobbering about Knight long enough to comment about it.

Reactions: purduepat1969
You are just wrong.I didnt say anything about The Hall of Calls.I dont have to since Purdue has won four straight games at Gloomington,while IU has never won more than two straight at Mackey Arena.The Boilermakers have topped IU 10 times in the last 11 games,and 15 out of the past 20,winning the last seven in a row.IU didnt achieve any of those accomplishments versus Purdue even when RMK was on the sidelines.Wasnt that a beautiful sight when those Hoosier fans were streaming out of Assembly Hall last February late in the game when it was obvious Purdue would win?Even Dickie V.stopped slobbering about Knight long enough to comment about it.
Little Archie and the IU players couldn't even muster up enough good play to commemorate Knight on his coming home event, if that's what you wanna call it. If, as an IU player, you can't get fired up enough to win for your legendary coach, it's pretty pathetic...

C'mon, Pat. They're not hypocrites. They're just trying post idiotic statements they think translate into cogent points.

They need a pat on the head, with an assuring, "you're right". Pat them on they head and grin at them.
The appropriate response along with the head pat is "bless your heart."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT