ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's done the assistant thing for major programs. He's coached a mid major now for 6 years and been very successful. He has the pedigree and now he's at a blue blood where he can recruit all the 4 and 5 star players he needs to be a power year in and out. Sorry boys but IU finally got it right. He's going to do great things I'm sure of it
Yep... Just like his brother.

Miller might be able to keep some Indiana kids in state. Don't see him pulling 5 stars out of the east like Crean did. But far better coach. Expectations might be too high in Bloomington to give him enough time to be successful. Jmo

Your don't know what you're talking about but I'm glad it didn't. Time will prove this was the best hire they could have done.

Glad it didn't? Donovan was literally the only coach where I would've been worried going forward. Significantly better than Archie.

Yep...
Lol. A lot of you thought Crean would take you to the promise land too. How'd that work out?
I definitely never thought much of Crean and neither did most of the fan base but he was our coach so we supported him until it became clear he was never going to improve and it was time to move on. Unfortunately it took the administration a few more years to realize this than it did the fans. And to answer a question one of your fans asked. No, if the Purdue coaching position became open and you went after Archie he would have turned you down. He's turned down other programs equal to yours.

Glad it didn't? Donovan was literally the only coach where I would've been worried going forward. Significantly better than Archie.
I think Archie will do just as well as Donovan would have. Only difference Donovan would have recruited like UK right off the bat. It may take Archie 3 or 4 years to build it into a major power again...but he WILL build it into that power

Plan B after Alford I assume. His 100% no interest statement ended that. Miller seems to be the opposite of Crean in demeanor and they wanted to stay as far from weird as possible. Stevens must of had no interest or they would have thrown the bank at him. Miller seems like a good guy but I am surprised that it's the next pick and happened this fast.
No. Alford was not plan A. Alford's people reached out to IU and IU said no thanks.

One other note as others above said, this was obviously option at least 4. There's no ifs ands or butts feelers were put out for Stevens, Donovan and Alford. Ultimately Alford said no and this lead to today's events.

There's no way that they didn't want Alford ( sorry iu guys he did turn you down ). We'll never know if there were any other possibilities but I'd wager there were.

I still think it's a fabulous hire. But let's put the koolaide up IU guys. This is definitely not what Glass promised last week. He promised the moon and the sky and settled in for a star. A small star that has the potential to shine
Sorry but you are wrong about Alford and Donovan. I know this for a fact. Of course feelers were sent to Stevens and Donovan, but everyone knew Brad wasn't coming. Alford's people reached out to IU and Donovan was not considered due to temperament and other issues. Miller was the first choice after the pipe dream.

He's done the assistant thing for major programs. He's coached a mid major now for 6 years and been very successful. He has the pedigree and now he's at a blue blood where he can recruit all the 4 and 5 star players he needs to be a power year in and out. Sorry boys but IU finally got it right. He's going to do great things I'm sure of it
Billy Donavan might regret not getting out of Oklahoma City... that is a disaster waiting to happen (Westbrook is as good as gone). But I agree with you.... this hiring was a blessing in disguise for IU fans, it really is. Coach Calipari just lauded this hire (he grew up playing for Archie's dad or had played for him at one time or another, whether it be AAU or whatnot) and said that this is a family of basketball people. Can't go wrong. This dude could be scary at IU.

Reactions: IUforver
Sorry but you are wrong about Alford and Donovan. I know this for a fact. Of course feelers were sent to Stevens and Donovan, but everyone knew Brad wasn't coming. Alford's people reached out to IU and Donovan was not considered due to temperament and other issues. Miller was the first choice after the pipe dream.
This is the first time I heard that Donovan wasn't considered due to temperament. I think that is BS. I know the guy that's well connected and he said it was looking like Donovan for a while but then it stalled. I really don't know about Alford. I just know Archie was the guy I felt would be the best hire. Hopefully I was right

Billy Donavan might regret not getting out of Oklahoma City... that is a disaster waiting to happen (Westbrook is as good as gone). But I agree with you.... this hiring was a blessing in disguise for IU fans, it really is. Coach Calipari just lauded this hire (he grew up playing for Archie's dad or had played for him at one time or another, whether it be AAU or whatnot) and said that this is a family of basketball people. Can't go wrong. This dude could be scary at IU.

Can't go wrong? Do you realize how dumb you sound when you say that?

No. Alford was not plan A. Alford's people reached out to IU and IU said no thanks.
What? How would you know? IMO Alford read the tea-leaves... all he had to do was google a few authentic IU fan sites and he knew he was NOT wanted. IU said no thanks,,,,PPFFFFFTTTTT.

Reactions: IUforver
Can't go wrong? Do you realize how dumb you sound when you say that?
Sorry boiler1987 but this will prove to be an amazing hire. I'm sorry you're stuck in mediocrity but IU finally got it right. I wish Purdue would can your boy and go get someone that has a chance to take Purdue to a final four. It would be good for the conference as a whole.

Well, funny thing is there are more PU fans who think this a good hire than IU fans...........they have been led around for awhile now into believing it was at least 2 other, maybe 3, candidates. Crean's numbers weren't horrible, but yes it was a better hire. Rebuilding hire........and that stings a bit for IU fans. But I will say that it has brought many of them to earth about the state of their program. No shame in that. Hope our rivalry heats up again.
This. Some IU fans were coming here saying their dream coach was a lock. I did not see a mention of Miller in any of their posts.

This guy is the real deal. IU will dominate the big 10 now for the next three decades

Please stop embarrassing my school. This is the problem with so many of my fellow IU grads, beyond delusional. On our board there are some saying we will contend for a Final Four next year. My God, poor Archie. These idiots are going to run him out of town because they are so unhinged.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Who the F do you think you are? They finally got it right and in a few years IU will be a power again. Some fan you are...

You have no idea if we got it right. In 2008 everyone said we got it right. In 2006 they said we got it right. You have no clue if we did.

This has nothing to do with him making an EE. He's an amazing young coach that is going somewhere where he can land 4 and 5 star talent every year. IU will be a superpower in CBB again very soon. I've hated all their hires since Knight but they finally got it right. IU hangs #6 within 5 years

So a coach that has never had to deal with primma donna players like 5 star kids, at age 38 is going to be able to control them, all while they are looking to go to the NBA in 1 year. Yeah, what a recipe for success. My God you are unhinged. Your last statement, this is why great coaches don't want to come to IU anymore, because of stupid shit like saying we're going to hang a banner in 5 years.

Keep believing that, but you know it isn't true.

You're always welcome to chat basketball here. It's nice to have a rational IU fan here. I def think argue could be really good for you guys but there's no way to know for sure you know?

Please stop embarrassing my school. This is the problem with so many of my fellow IU grads, beyond delusional. On our board there are some saying we will contend for a Final Four next year. My God, poor Archie. These idiots are going to run him out of town because they are so unhinged.

You mean like Tom Crean was run off...after nine years of ineptitude?

You're the embarrassing one, and fairly transparent since you claim to be a long time fan but whose account only goes back 5 months and every post is a defense of Tom Crean. I'm sorry that Archie isn't going to need paid board trolls and sunshine pumpers in the department like Crean did. Maybe you can get a transfer. To somewhere.

I don't care if Miller was the first choice or the tenth. He's a good young coach with a lot of promise. You want to be an IU fan? The peel the Tom Crean Big Head off your ceiling and give the guy a chance.

Or stay over here and whine. Personally I'd prefer the latter for you.

I really wish that I or someone else had saved the threads when Crean was hired. The assurances of the "return" were the same as now and made with the same level of confidence. We know how that turned out.

Call me foolish, but history has taught me to take these claims with many grains of salt.

I don't think he's an upgrade from Crean at all. I don't see them hiring him, but maybe I missed something.

Edit: just saw that on Twitter. Very surprised they go in this direction.
Oh yeah. Then you haven't seen Archie's wife.:D

Liar or you never read the sty. Lots of IU fans were thinking Stevens or Donovan had real interest.

Donovan yes. I don't think any IU fan who was even remotely clued in considered Stevens a legitimate possibility. I'm sure there are tons of peripheral fans (I see them on Facebook) who don't follow things very closely who thought Stevens or Alford would be great (and who had no idea who Miller was) but I don't think you'd find many thread on forums where people seriously considered Stevens.

As a Purdue grad, I was hoping for, in order:

1) 8 year extension for Crean

2) hire of Alford with a lifetime contract

3) hire of anyone besides Stevens or Donovan
i think Donovan would have been a disaster. The IU fan pressure would have drove him out with lack of success (a setup for failure), Y'all remember when he tucked-tail after about 1 day on the job at the Orlando Magic (or did he even last that long?). He's an indecisive older coach now. He's 51 or 52 years old. Ewwwww, that's old... gray hair and senility are just around the corner. He He, but on a serious note, hiring the younger option was ok. I think Painter got hired about that same age. Painter was one of the youngest coaches to ever coach a top 20 D1 university with a rabid fan-base. And look what he's done.. he gets most of the good recruits and has pounded Indiana a lot recently (which is part of the reason you coach for Purdue....to whip up on Indiana)... Indiana has been Purdue's punching bag for 9 years during Crean's tenure. Crean regularly loses to Northwestern and all the crap teams (reference Ft. Wayne). Painter beats the teams he should beat, bottom line...and he will never be let go (he's in the mold of Keady and was a Keady disciple).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT