ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching FAU/AZ?

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
Refs and commentators are COMPLETELY ignoring the most obvious travel ever right before a 3 pointer by FAU.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Vince Edwards used to do this all the time on a step back shot. I thought it was a travel but it's not. They changed the rule in the late 2000s. You can lift the pivot and stand on the other leg and pass or shoot. It definitely looks funny.

I'll say it...Caleb Love is terrible. He shot 8-25 and missed a handful of layups. He took a lot of dubious shots.

Regardless, besides Purdue winning as hometown fans that was by far the best game of the year to watch so far and it isnt even close

Still a ton of O in that game. 96-95 2OT. Love & Johnell Davis are unreal big moment players. Fun game if you like O.

FAU has a bunch of tough shot makers. Davis from Gary, IN had like +35 pts tonight.

Dude's a big-time player. How did that region guy escape CMP & Purdue??

Why wasn't HS 31.4 points, 9.8 rebounds, 4.6 steals and 2.6 assists per game interesting to CMP?

Last edited:
Reactions: johnboiler123
Dude's a big-time player. How did that region guy escape CMP & Purdue??

Why wasn't HS 31.4 points, 9.8 rebounds, 4.6 steals and 2.6 assists per game interesting to CMP?
There could be a ton of reasons. Grades? Acceptance?

Maybe he just wanted to play where it was warm most of the year and didnt want to be near home. Who knows?

Either way, would love to have him on the team now. Dude is a big shot maker.
Oh don’t you know? Recruits DO NOT factor that into their decision… 😂

I know I do NOT want Dusty May at IU, that might turn that program.
It very well may. But I think it’ll be interesting to see how he does this year and then once this group graduates. Can he recruit to be at the same level and sustain that success? Or did he catch lightning in a bottle with the guards he has now? Not saying he won’t pan out, but IU went after Archie after he had mid major success….not saying they’re the same, but obviously he looks pretty good so far.

Also, to get May, they’d have to kick Woody out, which would kinda look bad since he’s a former player and all.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It very well may. But I think it’ll be interesting to see how he does this year and then once this group graduates. Can he recruit to be at the same level and sustain that success? Or did he catch lightning in a bottle with the guards he has now? Not saying he won’t pan out, but IU went after Archie after he had mid major success….not saying they’re the same, but obviously he looks pretty good so far.

Also, to get May, they’d have to kick Woody out, which would kinda look bad since he’s a former player and all.
Someone said that IU failed in the hiring process of Archie by not seeing how he could replicate what he did at Dayton at IU. Now that he is terrible at Rhode Island, makes you wonder if he got lucky at Dayton.

Hiring a coach requires they know how to recruit kids that fit a lot of holes. Can these kids be day 1 impact, can they be developed over a season or 2. Can they stick it out when things aren’t going their way. With the portal, can you go get kids to fill in gaps you have for a year or two. Finally, how do you manage expectations and make them cohesive.

Woody might have gotten lucky with the leftovers from Archie plus JHS. They had leadership in TJD and X to keep them together when they looked destined for disaster. Guess we will see how the rest of this season plays out.

The bigger question for May, does he want the job if offered? I mean, he is basically a god at FAU. He will probably have multiple big school offers that might have a longer runway than IU. Just saying.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I’m a bit confused about the talk about Dusty May. Yah he looks to be a good coach and will likely get offers by bigger name programs. But are you all really expecting IU to give Woodson the boot and offer May?

I’m a bit confused about the talk about Dusty May. Yah he looks to be a good coach and will likely get offers by bigger name programs. But are you all really expecting IU to give Woodson the boot and offer May?
Seems like some IU fans want the boot. I don’t see how IU can do that to one of their former players. I wonder if they’ll do something like what Purdue did with painter and Keady? But does May even want the IU job?

Someone said that IU failed in the hiring process of Archie by not seeing how he could replicate what he did at Dayton at IU. Now that he is terrible at Rhode Island, makes you wonder if he got lucky at Dayton.

Hiring a coach requires they know how to recruit kids that fit a lot of holes. Can these kids be day 1 impact, can they be developed over a season or 2. Can they stick it out when things aren’t going their way. With the portal, can you go get kids to fill in gaps you have for a year or two. Finally, how do you manage expectations and make them cohesive.

Woody might have gotten lucky with the leftovers from Archie plus JHS. They had leadership in TJD and X to keep them together when they looked destined for disaster. Guess we will see how the rest of this season plays out.

The bigger question for May, does he want the job if offered? I mean, he is basically a god at FAU. He will probably have multiple big school offers that might have a longer runway than IU. Just saying.
Yes all good points and I agree, does he really even want the job? Pretty demanding and high stress if he doesn’t deliver right away. Would the IU fanbase let him stick around as long as he did at FAU before he took them to the F4 (I’d assume yes)?

If we talk about the FAU/AZ game, I’m not sure what May did to really beat AZ other than get the ball into Davis’s hands. I haven’t done any research into what type of game plan, if any, he had implemented or tried to.

Yes all good points and I agree, does he really even want the job? Pretty demanding and high stress if he doesn’t deliver right away. Would the IU fanbase let him stick around as long as he did at FAU before he took them to the F4 (I’d assume yes)?

If we talk about the FAU/AZ game, I’m not sure what May did to really beat AZ other than get the ball into Davis’s hands. I haven’t done any research into what type of game plan, if any, he had implemented or tried to.
Not sure the offensive game plan but liked their defensive scheme which was switching their guards on everything. They also had a lot of help defense when the Arizona guards would penetrate. Arizona shouldn’t have lost especially with the number of offensive rebounds.

Not sure the offensive game plan but liked their defensive scheme which was switching their guards on everything. They also had a lot of help defense when the Arizona guards would penetrate. Arizona shouldn’t have lost especially with the number of offensive rebounds.
For sure. AZ couldnt finish some bunnies and we got the full Caleb love experience as a viewer…bad shot selection but some big time shot making. He’s shooting the exact same % from 3 as last year…and Johnson was kind of a non factor. Boswell did not shoot well or play that well….But in reality, Davis was the man with his midrange game and could not be stopped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT