ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone attend the 10/21 scrimmage?

Who are the two guards in that #3 recruiting class going to play over? Izzo has already alluded to the fact that Booker isn't ready this year and in any case if Booker is a difference maker at MSU it will be the first time that he's been a difference maker at any level. Sounds like he's a decent kid but he's 95% potential and 5% production.

Pointing to that high ranking recruiting class is laziness by the national media.
We'll find out soon enough. MSU plays their typical tough pre conference schedule again this year. We'll see what they have.

I love how depth potential on other teams is downplayed, but our depth is always talked about as a positive thing. I know class rankings are a sore spot on this board, but it's not laziness to point out they have the #3 class. If we ever have the #3 class, you can bet our board will be talking about it.

Assuming you're alluding to Purdue's players getting better that's a silly statement. Yes MSU's returners will likely improve but Hall, Walker and Hoggard are already 23 and Sissoko will be 23 in December.

Not exactly the same as the jump you'd expect to see from two guys moving from their true freshmen to a sophomore seasons.
I was alluding to how Morton is supposed to be better (and I hope he is) but if he can be better why can't their older guys be better??

Actually the poster did mention a few players that were back, so if you are not meaning they were good, then why mention him if you aren't gonna list everybody who is back? And yes I have heard from others that state him as " being good". Since we are talking about what you did or didn't say, did I mention Morton at all? I wasn't talking about your post either. In fact I didn't see your post.
You replied to my post (see Post #60 in this thread). So I think you are mistaken about not seeing it or talking about it.

Last edited:
We'll find out soon enough. MSU plays their typical tough pre conference schedule again this year. We'll see what they have.

I love how depth potential on other teams is downplayed, but our depth is always talked about as a positive thing. I know class rankings are a sore spot on this board, but it's not laziness to point out they have the #3 class. If we ever have the #3 class, you can bet our board will be talking about it.
I read a MSU report about their scrimmage and team for this year yesterday. It basically says that all of their freshman showed strong in some aspects but needed work and adjustments to college ball before getting any significant playing time. The lowest rated player evidently is a big scoring threat from 3 but D and looking comfortable in the rest of the offense had a ways to go.

Absolutely. Again, 6-11 in Quad 1 games last year, so yes, we'll find out quickly if they're much improved.

It laziness by the media (I'm not targeting that at you) to say that having the #3 class is a primary reason they will be much improved when those players are unlikely to play major roles. Depth is great but not the reason to point to a team being nationally elite after going 6-11 and losing one of their most efficient scoring options.

Reactions: Schnelk
I was alluding to how Morton is supposed to be better (and I hope he is) but if he can be better why can't their older guys be better??
Completely agree. I keep going back to the fact that MSU was mediocre against decent teams last year (worse than mediocre in Quad 1 games) so I'm trying to figure out where their big jump from mediocre to elite comes from.

IMO, you may disagree, if Loyer and Smith just make an average sophomore jump and don't wear down at the end of the year Purdue has the potential (who the heck knows what will actually happen) to improve from a team that was already elite last season.

Last edited:
Northside, agree with you more than most, but we need to stop the narrative that Smith "hit a wall". Prior to the last two games of the year Smith was playing some of his best basketball of the year. His points and assist averages were better the last 17 games compared to the first 18 games. He had two subpar games at the end of the year but his situation didn't mirror the results of Loyer.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Northside, agree with you more than most, but we need to stop the narrative that Smith "hit a wall". Prior to the last two games of the year Smith was playing some of his best basketball of the year. His points and assist averages were better the last 17 games compared to the first 18 games. He had two subpar games at the end of the year but his situation didn't mirror the results of Loyer.
I'd still say Braden hit a wall, maybe not quite like Fletch, but his shooting % was down on 3s and 2s, rebounding was down almost 2/game, TOs were up a little over 0.5/game, but assists up roughly the same--one would expect that with him avg 2 more mins a game in the 2nd half of the year.

But I think he was just gassed and didn't have the legs/conditioning under him from never playing through the grind of a college schedule and mix in the B1G--which is a GRIND with those 60-55 games. The 2nd half of the Maryland game at home is when I started to notice how tired Braden looked (when Maryland was pressing and making a comeback) and he seemed that way the rest of the year due to him being the sole ballhandler. And when you're tired, you lose your legs in your shot, as well as being more prone to turning it over.

You replied to my post (see Post #60 in this thread). So I think you are mistaken about not seeing it or talking about it.
Ok you are right, I thought I commented on post 56. That was who was talking about Malik and the other two. I must have just accidentally replied on your post without meaning to do so. My bad.

Completely agree. I keep going back to the fact that MSU was mediocre against decent teams last year (worse than mediocre in Quad 1 games) so I'm trying to figure out where their big jump from mediocre to elite comes from.

IMO, you may disagree, if Loyer and Smith just make an average sophomore jump and don't wear down at the end of the year Purdue has the potential (who the heck knows what will actually happen) to improve from a team that was already elite last season.
Completely agree that if the backcourt makes a normal jump we will be much better.

I think where we disagree is on how much better MSU will be. Reasonable minds can disagree. I hope you are right and I'm wrong as it will make it much easier for us to win another conference title. I've just seen Izzo do it too many times to not fear this years team will be markedly better.

I believe we are at 6 for next year right now, and if Harris signs we should be right around top 3. We very well could put your theory to test!

Reactions: Dryfly88
Completely agree that if the backcourt makes a normal jump we will be much better.

I think where we disagree is on how much better MSU will be. Reasonable minds can disagree. I hope you are right and I'm wrong as it will make it much easier for us to win another conference title. I've just seen Izzo do it too many times to not fear this years team will be markedly better.
Agree. I will absolutely say that I don't know. It doesn't seem likely to me based on last year but one of the freshmen could become a star and / or Walker, Akins or Hall blow up (I can't see it being Hoggard) and elevate the whole team.

Good point, agree.

Think it was the Kenpom discussion....but it was actually ten conference schools if you go through the list:

Purdue (1), Michigan State (13), Illinois (19), Wisconsin (20), Maryland (22), Ohio State (35), Northwestern (40), Michigan (44), Indiana (49), and Iowa (50).

Hey, wait a minute......Ten, Big Ten? is there some similarity there?

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/ken-pom-rankings-out.244234/

6537da8694c55558352233.gif
IU should be much higher ranked. I read where they are picked to win the B10 this year, win B10 tourney, and likely make the FF. I also read where their coach is better than sliced bread.

I do a lot of reading... on the IU board. :)

IU should be much higher ranked. I read where they are picked to win the B10 this year, win B10 tourney, and likely make the FF. I also read where their coach is better than sliced bread.

I do a lot of reading... on the IU board. :)
Oh and what about how their theoretical recruiting class will be easily number 1 next year?! If you offer everyone in the top 50, you’re bound to get some to commit, right…right?!??

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT