ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else go to New Castle last night?

DAG10

All-American
Nov 2, 2018
Curious was all to know if anyone else had gone, and, what their thoughts were.

Solid Purdue representation among the players, and, a lot of Purdue gear on display throughout the gym.

Gillis looks great physically...that was encouraging. It is apparent that he has worked on his upper body, and, I thought I saw something somewhere that Purdue was involved in developing a program for him in that he was limited with respect to what he could do otherwise.

I am not down on Newman, but, having seen him at least four other times before last night...I just have to either have had bad luck, or, am causing him bad luck...as for a guy known as a "shooter", that has just not been the case on the occasions that I have seen him. That said, he has the size/length/strength to be able to play immediately, and, to contribute...he has the ability to be really good on the defensive end, can (and should) help with rebounding, and, is really good in transition and running the floor.

Thompson has tremendous basketball IQ, is deceptively strong for his frame (although it is an area that he will need to work on for sure), and, is quick with great footwork. He can knock down shots, can beat his defender off the dribble or create space for himself, and, has nice overall court vision as well.

Ivey played well...not his best night, but, he showed some glimpses at times, has a nice stroke, and, his size/length/strength are definitely nice traits...good basketball IQ as well.

TJD was solid, but, lacks the motor seemingly that truly great players have. Kid is strong though, and, good on the block/at the basket, although, it will be different when he is playing against guys that are as big and as strong.

Franklin was solid...a nice player overall.

The starting five for the Junior squad more than held its own against the Senior squad...Pack was REALLY good, and, impressive, and, hard not to like Leal and Galloway (only thing with them is that they are so similar...both were very athletic though, and, both showed a willingness (and above average ability) to defend...both were great in transition, and, both were unselfish...Leal had a better stroke, while Galloway was a bit better at attacking the basket, but, both are quality players).

Curious was all to know if anyone else had gone, and, what their thoughts were.

Solid Purdue representation among the players, and, a lot of Purdue gear on display throughout the gym.

Gillis looks great physically...that was encouraging. It is apparent that he has worked on his upper body, and, I thought I saw something somewhere that Purdue was involved in developing a program for him in that he was limited with respect to what he could do otherwise.

I am not down on Newman, but, having seen him at least four other times before last night...I just have to either have had bad luck, or, am causing him bad luck...as for a guy known as a "shooter", that has just not been the case on the occasions that I have seen him. That said, he has the size/length/strength to be able to play immediately, and, to contribute...he has the ability to be really good on the defensive end, can (and should) help with rebounding, and, is really good in transition and running the floor.

Thompson has tremendous basketball IQ, is deceptively strong for his frame (although it is an area that he will need to work on for sure), and, is quick with great footwork. He can knock down shots, can beat his defender off the dribble or create space for himself, and, has nice overall court vision as well.

Ivey played well...not his best night, but, he showed some glimpses at times, has a nice stroke, and, his size/length/strength are definitely nice traits...good basketball IQ as well.

TJD was solid, but, lacks the motor seemingly that truly great players have. Kid is strong though, and, good on the block/at the basket, although, it will be different when he is playing against guys that are as big and as strong.

Franklin was solid...a nice player overall.

The starting five for the Junior squad more than held its own against the Senior squad...Pack was REALLY good, and, impressive, and, hard not to like Leal and Galloway (only thing with them is that they are so similar...both were very athletic though, and, both showed a willingness (and above average ability) to defend...both were great in transition, and, both were unselfish...Leal had a better stroke, while Galloway was a bit better at attacking the basket, but, both are quality players).

Did not go, but Newman looked like he had an efficient 15 points on 6 shots, while going 3-5 from 3. Agree about his defense and that will be his ticket to playing a lot early next year.

Did not go, but Newman looked like he had an efficient 15 points on 6 shots, while going 3-5 from 3. Agree about his defense and that will be his ticket to playing a lot early next year.
It does not look bad or inefficient even as you said...fair point certainly. Maybe my statement was shaped more on prior viewings and it seeming like more of the same.

I admittedly am hard-pressed to buy into the "shooter" reputation in that his stroke is far from pure...but, looking back at several games where Carsen did not seemingly shoot well during the course of last season, he more than lived up to that billing at times and certainly in the tournament...so, like say, perhaps I caught him on some bad nights, or, it was simply my being there that contributed to his lack of filling it up from distance.

Regardless, the guy has some skills and has shown the ability to do other things that make a difference and will, and, his demeanor and effort are both positive intangibles as well.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Zaphod_B
I was there and it was hard to get a true value of a player in a run and gun situation. Every body there is a shooter and they all love to shoot. Defense was non existent. Alley ball game/AAU format. I was more impressed with the young lady from Marion. 6'6" Junior all star....she is Tall and athletic with a nicely toned body..big ten ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT