ADVERTISEMENT

Marquette game observations

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
1. Wow, do some of those Boilers look young.
2. Crowd was rocking and it was noticeable on TV
3. Sports announcer just babble too much and promote who ever is winning
4. Odd Boiler 1H offensive dynamic of not working it down low--not sure if that was a tweak by Painter at halftime or good D
5. Good to see Hurst come alive in 2H
6. Need better product from Gillis and hope he works out of his slump soon
7. Newman's D looked, um good last night
8. Please please please learn to break a press
9. TKR and "Right-Eye" Jenkins contine to grow in production and add a nice dimension to the team
10. Smith was electric and brings that SAS we need at PG (shoot, drive/score, dish, run O).

Bonus: Gisele Bundchen is now available so hit the gym! 😀

4. Odd Boiler 1H offensive dynamic of not working it down low--not sure if that was a tweak by Painter at halftime or good D
9. TKR and "Right-Eye" Jenkins contine to grow in production and add a nice dimension to the team
10. Smith was electric and brings that SAS we need at PG (shoot, drive/score, dish, run O).

I just talked with Giselle ... she said I was too old and she has a guy that's in the gym every day WITH HER! ... I was disappointed in TKR's production based on expectations ... but my mantra is "Without expectations there will be no diappointments."

Reactions: tjreese and Woodsa
I just talked with Giselle ... she said I was too old and she has a guy that's in the gym every day WITH HER! ... I was disappointed in TKR's production based on expectations ... but my mantra is "Without expectations there will be no diappointments."
TKR should take up jump roping ( if he hasn't already) like Trevion did. I think it would help him out.

Gillis looks like he doesn't know his role on the floor, which is odd. Maybe playing with Trevion more instead of Zach makes a difference for him.

Newman was very active in the first half, not so much in the second.

Love the small lineup, even though MP usually doesn't typically adjust that way. It was much needed when we were down 9. Question giving Waddell crunchtime minutes though. I don't think the 3-pt foul was entirely his fault, but maybe Newman doesn't make that mistake.

Smith will make his share of freshman mistakes, but he's been a great jolt to this team.

Loyer free throws??? Took his time and shot with good form on the last one. Voila it went in!

I noticed that we can legitimately put out a lineup of jersey numbers 1 through 5. And it's not a bad lineup. That being said, TKR doesn't look good so far. Nice baby hook but until that point he showed nothing.

in regards to #5. Furst did shift to a higher gear in the 2md half.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Gunna give a big ole "MEH" to this one. They got us 2x in a row on the first 2 possessions and then I can't remember it really being a bother at all the rest of the game. Thats an A+++++ in my book vs. a press....especially vs. a team that should be as good as any in the country at it because its their main philosophy of how they play.

Now, we didn't get many easy buckets on the other end of it (I remember 2) but that equals out the TOs pretty well. Marquette continued to run it because it overall takes us out of our flow and puts us running O much later in the shot clock. I think the press worked in that factor....but overall we didn't really blush much at the pressure after the first minute of the game.

Asking kids who rarely ever see it and honestly shouldn't spend THAT much practice time on it as its used in maybe 3-4 games vs. them to be perfect against the press......its just not going to happen. It gave us issues last year in 1 game, and we still won the game. People just love to come back to this point and harp on it....even when its not an issue for us....at least not enough to continuously stress over.

TKR should take up jump roping ( if he hasn't already) like Trevion did. I think it would help him out.
TKR is playing like a freshman, mostly lost. A little disappointing to me. Still wondering why Brian at the other network, who I disagree with A LOT... seems to think Furst will be our best shooter from three... REALLY? How can he be credible saying something like that???

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
TKR is playing like a freshman, mostly lost. A little disappointing to me. Still wondering why Brian at the other network, who I disagree with A LOT... seems to think Furst will be our best shooter from three... REALLY? How can he be credible saying something like that???
I think Furst has a good stroke, but I'm not sure he'll get enough opportunities to be consistent from the arc and confirm that assessment. Loyer's shot looks like it's going in every time it leaves his hands.

I think Furst has a good stroke, but I'm not sure he'll get enough opportunities to be consistent from the arc and confirm that assessment. Loyer's shot looks like it's going in every time it leaves his hands.
Jenkins had 2 or 3 shots that went in and out. He will provide some offense.

Reactions: pboiler18
Hard to compete with a gym rat and probably better off. :)

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Gunna give a big ole "MEH" to this one. They got us 2x in a row on the first 2 possessions and then I can't remember it really being a bother at all the rest of the game. Thats an A+++++ in my book vs. a press....especially vs. a team that should be as good as any in the country at it because its their main philosophy of how they play.

Now, we didn't get many easy buckets on the other end of it (I remember 2) but that equals out the TOs pretty well. Marquette continued to run it because it overall takes us out of our flow and puts us running O much later in the shot clock. I think the press worked in that factor....but overall we didn't really blush much at the pressure after the first minute of the game.

Asking kids who rarely ever see it and honestly shouldn't spend THAT much practice time on it as its used in maybe 3-4 games vs. them to be perfect against the press......its just not going to happen. It gave us issues last year in 1 game, and we still won the game. People just love to come back to this point and harp on it....even when its not an issue for us....at least not enough to continuously stress over.
I don't have stats in front of me but I recall being pressed last year in a few games resulting in many turn overs.

My hope is with a better PG and quicker passing that we'll be fine but the team should absolutely practice breaking the press because we will see it again and again until we demonstrate a sound ability to break it. Any opposing coach would know that and good ones will apply it at the right time to gain an advantage.

Reactions: krf3632
I don't have stats in front of me but I recall being pressed last year in a few games resulting in many turn overs.

My hope is with a better PG and quicker passing that we'll be fine but the team should absolutely practice breaking the press because we will see it again and again until we demonstrate a sound ability to break it. Any opposing coach would know that and good ones will apply it at the right time to gain an advantage.
We only had 6 turnovers last night. Pretty good with freshmen guards against a style like that.

Newman and Jenkins need to play more imo. I'm all for the end of season approach with this team. Too many young pieces to compete for a conference title but if we play our cards correctly can out perform our season in the tourney. Play the guys that can help the team in march.

I believe Jenkins will be a nice addition. I admit I questioned why Painter recruited him rather than a PG. Basically he’s a shooting guard who has good ball handling skills. And he will be a great player to close out games.

Admittedly I was high on Tkr and he hasn’t really risen to my predictions yet. And sadly, if a player doesn’t shine and make their mark in the early preseason games, they usually end up being a non factor when the season starts as painter sets his rotation to 8 players.

Furst was awesome in the second half. It would be nice if he could put two good half’s together.

Edey was Edey. Playing to expectations.

Im not sure what to say about Loyer and Newman other than these are the games that determine playing time later. Newman is earning more. Loyer is being given an opportunity but not taking advantage of it. Newman was known as a shooter but may gain more minutes based on his defense!

Smith is quickly earning a starting role. Purdue has had freshmen start before! If a player proves he’s ready painter will play them.

Gillis hasn’t looked great. Maybe Furst will claim the 4 spot. It wouldn’t be a bad thing if Gillis became a 6th man.

Morton looks like the odd man out. He’s had plenty of opportunities in the past year. He may be good but others are better.

The rest are role players.

It’s only 3 games, but I believe you can see what our season is going to look like. I expect painter to narrow it down to an 8 man rotation. It’s becoming obvious who those 8 players will be.

I would add to #7 Newman was a beast on the boards, nearly double digit R in less than half a game.

he deserves more PT, rebounded well played good D, even possesses the lost art of a mid range game. He's not a passive player like Morton. Look I like Morton, a fellow Pa guy, just believe he's an off the bench type player.

LOL, I am really off on him.....I don't see Morton as one of our top 8. Guess I am delusional, no doubt, but way too passive offensively for me, not a difference maker, and has trouble with his handle under pressure. But yes, I am not delusional enough to not recognize his defensive ability, passing ability, judgement, ball security, understanding of what CMP wants and size.....so there is that.

Gillis hasnt looked great. Maybe Furst will claim the 4 spot. It wouldn’t be a bad thing if Gillis became a 6th man.

Morton looks like the odd man out. He’s had plenty of opportunities in the past year. He may be good but others are better.

The rest are role players.

The way they have played early, add Morton & Gillis to your list of role players. Good guys to have for sure, but fit a role.

Reactions: johnboiler123
What defense did you see 4 times he went under the screen led to 11 Marquette points in the 1st half alone. Painter played him 5 minutes in the 2nd half, and he turned it over twice. Benched him with 7:10 remaining trailing by 3 and went with the freshman Waddel with the game on the line. It's the same issue that got him benched last year. Painter not playing him at crunch time tells you everything you need to know IMO!

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
What defense did you see 4 times he went under the screen led to 11 Marquette points in the 1st half alone. Painter played him 5 minutes in the 2nd half, and he turned it over twice. Benched him with 7:10 remaining trailing by 3 and went with the freshman Waddel with the game on the line. It's the same issue that got him benched last year. Painter not playing him at crunch time tells you everything you need to know IMO!
Waddell fouled a guy taking a 3pt shot. Should we expect him to be in the dog house hence forth or because his dad played with Painter he gets a “Get Out of Jail Free” card?

I get your point that he makes mistakes he shouldn’t but so does everyone. It is the inconsistency that drives people mad.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Confused? Guy you responded to was talking TKR. Yet you said "he was benched last year" when TKR did not play last year.

Can you clear up who you are referring to?

Waddell fouled a guy taking a 3pt shot. Should we expect him to be in the dog house hence forth or because his dad played with Painter he gets a “Get Out of Jail Free” card?

I get your point that he makes mistakes he shouldn’t but so does everyone. It is the inconsistency that drives people mad.
In fairness, that was not a shooting foul. It was also intentional called by the coaching staff. There are better examples then this one

Not a good example. That was an intentional foul, done before the guy took his shot. However, the player threw the ball in the general direction of the hoop after he was fouled and the refs called it a shooting foul. Piss poor call.

When I think of Gillis and Newman , I am reminded of Villanova a couple of years ago. Their 6th man stepped up during the tournament and became a first round pick of the Milwaukee Bucks and is still playing significant minutes in the NBA.

There is no shame being a team’s 6th man. You have to be ready. And most times it’s the 6th man that provides the spark to get a team going.

I don’t Gillis to be demoted to the 6th man. Rather I see where his versatility could prove valuable in that role!

.2. Crowd was rocking and it was noticeable on TV
Agree completely on this one - and after watching a few other games (USC, Creighton, PSU, UCLA) and their absolutely pathetic crowds (exhibition game levels), I always why recruits are attracted there - and I get the NIL, etc.
Mackey should be a huge bonus for Purdue.

just a couple of comments. Confused on learning to break the press? Did you want more of an up and down game with Zach and to play fast with Marquette? As far as turnovers against the pressure...Purdue did great. Being at the game I can't follow any of the threads on the game, but did at halftime comment on Zach and Tempo. I don't see as well at the games with some dry eye going on... :(

In my opinion Zach was not getting position where he needed to be. Zach was too far away from the basket and perhaps not enough looks from the other players? You either bring Zach to the ball or bring the ball to Zach and all that is a function of how the D is playing him which is enhanced or diminished by what Zach does to get position.

If Zach just moves across the lane without establishing contact on the defender first to hold whatever position he has before he posts on the other side the defender will just move with him and Zach is now farther away from the basket than he should be. Zach is strong enough with only his body to get deep, but part of that is Zach seeking contact first. If the defender ends up fronting, then Zach will be fed by bringing the ball to him.

Brandon played well, but towards the last few minutes he made one maybe two passes as he was in auto drive. That problem has plagued him since his first time on the court and more than likely why he was pulled late as the game was being decided. I say that and I'm a big fan of Brandon, but that is an area he needs to improve as he has improved his O by being quicker to get his shot.

Not a fan of most announcers outside of the previous Big players...certainly not a fan of Rafferty. ;)

I'm late to this thread, so just about everything has already been covered. Main thoughts:

1) Braden Smith showed his potential during that pivotal stretch when Purdue took the lead for good. I don't expect that every night. He's still a freshman with 3 college games under his belt. But, it will really help if he can get to the rim against B1G teams.

2) I thought Brandon Newman had a nice game. Played within himself. Didn't force things. Had some big boards.

3) The quintet of Loyer/Smith/Newman/Jenkins/Morton could give Purdue an above average back court if they play consistently well together. I don't expect any of them to be all-conference. But, Purdue should be ok if they all provide regular contributions.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT