ADVERTISEMENT

any tv for august games?

You say the 97% number is a hoax, show me how you came to that conclusion. I have already shared in this thread where that number comes from, it is no hoax.
I am all for looking at data from all perspectives. There hasn't been a single alternate perspective offered here to refute the data other than, they could be wrong and people who aren't qualified are making judgements on the data. Give me some data and explain to me this other perspective. Anyone can SAY anything. Show me.

Like many of the methodologies used to "prove" man will destroy the earth with CO2 emissions, the 97% number came from poor methodology. You can learn about it from many sources, if you really care. I'm not taking the time to search this for you because I suspect you have already seen it and dismissed it. Here's the first hit that came up:

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ge-no-its-not-97-percent-consensus-ian-tuttle

You can't be taken seriously when you claim that you are open-minded, but when a scientist, engineer, or statistician disagrees with your belief system, you dismiss them as unqualified. The current temperature is essentially within the error of estimated temperature variations over the past 1000 years. And I'm sorry, but when your expert climatologist's models continue to be wrong in their projections, it does not take an expert to call them out.

Finally, how can anyone show you data that, A) the oceans won't rise and cover the eastern seaboard and B) that Americans driving cars with internal combustion engines won't make it worse? Show us temperature data (measurements) for the past 1000 years that demonstrates we are currently in a period that is out of range (with our whopping 0.8 degree increase since 1900). Then show us the data that proves it is man's fault and not part of a natural cycle. Finally, show us data that New York City will be under water in 30 years -- and most importantly, that it will be man's fault.

I live in the south if you have not guessed by my Handel I also play a lot of golf. We have live oak trees on the course I play that many believe are over 700 years old. One part of me really wishes they could talk.

Anyway, they look as health and beautiful as ever. Most of the oldes ones sit very close to bodies of water also. The common since in me says not much has changed.

At times I do take refuge under some of these trees during thunderstorms. Part of me says this tree has not been hit by lighting in over 700 years the other part of me wonders if it is due?

At times I do take refuge under some of these trees during thunderstorms. Part of me says this tree has not been hit by lighting in over 700 years the other part of me wonders if it is due?
Seems the risk/reward is in your favor. :D

You have done nothing but deflect while changing your reasons for believing as you do, without once sharing any data. One would think that if you feel something is false, especially something with such wide support by highly respected professionals, that you would want to share your data so those of us in the dark would have the opportunity to know.

You keep saying you understand stats and data interpretation, yet if so many professionals are in support, what would the odds be that there are all wrong? I Qeustion your sincerity because you literally haven't given me anything but your own opinion and experience as to your beliefs.

I am over it however. I don't need to "win" a debate on this board with someone who questions thousands of trained professional from across the globe because they knew a guy who was less than professional. That's not data, that's just another variable that holds little weight when compared to the mountain of data collected by thousands of experts. I can assure you that NASA doesn't just Willy Nilly support an issue like this. Their credibility is on the line and much of the data collected comes from them and agencies across the globe that they partner with in various projects. You quite literally are questioning the entire agency and it's highly trained professionals on an outlier chance that all of them are in on a conspiracy that Brietbart is cycling around. Call me crazy, but that's not sound reasoning.
I really don't know how to explain it to you any different than I have...or how Andy has tried. I have no problem with your reasoning. I have no problem with the reasoning of Nasa. I think there are very valid reasons that can make you go 100% in the direction you have. I have never stated that and I have never attacked your lack of understanding in modeling or regression or just data in general, because even without your understanding you can be 100% correct on your hunch...I've said as much many times. Nor do I seek your approval in my understandings as you needn't seek my approval. I've laid this out about as damn easy as I can. You believe...and I don't know how old you are, but you believe no question exists that global warming caused my man is leading us into a death spiral if we don't start praying at the alter of this faith. I will agree that there are many circumstantial pieces that one could make that leap into full devotion. I have no problem with you believing what you do or insinuating that I'm backwards or whatever deflection from my stance is anything but a sound belief. That is your right. I've dealt in enough circles in various things I'm kinda my own person.

Now in the beginning I asked how old the earth was? We know before the population explosion and fossil fuel burning the earth experienced bopth colder and hotter weather than today. I've also waited for you to tell me how many years are in PI ...2PI...whatever so I can gather a real understanding, but you can't. That isn't important to you, but it is to me.

As I said I love your passion. I respect anyone that cares about "something" whether I aqree or not, because it says "something" about that person. Now dryfly88 adn Punja would like to get this topic out of the thread. I would like to oblige them, but I have enough respect for your passion that I "feel" obligated to answer you, but I won't continue. Read what you want and call that research if you desire...you may be correct. you're all in and I'm agnostic at this time. I have no problem with you being all in and yet you have a problem with me being agnostic on this article of faith. Still, I have a hunch that Robert McLean and Charlie Hicks...and Bernie Ostle might also be agnostic at this time...but they may be backward as well

Reactions: punaj
@tjreese I never wanted this part of the thread gone, just the title changed - this is a very interesting debate, imo. I've been on both sides of it in my life... turned 40 last month, so I'm probably in the median range age here. I value and see validity in both points of view. I've reread the thread and appreciate the time and thought given to it by everyone. I'll keep reading it... and hoping for tv times all the same :) tic.

Reactions: tjreese
TJ: I was making fun of the thread that thought this board has influence on who comes here to play basketball, that obviously didn't register.

Couldn't care less about your feelings on global warming and if I did I certainly wouldn't come to a basketball board to get that information. The only reason I come back to the thread is to see if anyone has seen any info on the possible TV coverage of the games. Carry on.

Reactions: tjreese
While I was in West Lafayette on Monday I asked the BB Office if they knew if the games would be televised and at that time they had no information that they would be...regarding global warming...duh, the Midwest including West Lafayette would still be under a glacier if it hasn't been, year to year can change due to jet wind streams changing, El Niño, La Niña, etc but overall only a fool would argue that the earth is and has been warming for a long time!

Last edited:
@tjreese I never wanted this part of the thread gone, just the title changed - this is a very interesting debate, imo. I've been on both sides of it in my life... turned 40 last month, so I'm probably in the median range age here. I value and see validity in both points of view. I've reread the thread and appreciate the time and thought given to it by everyone. I'll keep reading it... and hoping for tv times all the same :) tic.

Let me try to summarize. It is my belief that proudpurdue considers global warming, global cooling or just climate change to be settled science. That is fine, he may be right in the projected results, but science is far from proven. I think he and others in his group read circumstantial evidence and believe they have enough evidence to support their stance. When dealing with a statistic or sampling data in trying to describe the population it is important that the data represent the population and so becomes the question what you are trying to project and does your data cover enough of the area to make that prediction. No matter the particular shortcomings of sampling, you need your measured response to be repeatable and reproducible as well as accurate. Essentially, sampling errors can lead to many false conclusions. Measurement errors can mask or hide the potential differences or significance in addition to mean shifts. In other words, not sampling over the population being reference opens the data to many misinterpretations...as would any heavy population pulls weighting the data and/or biased sampling. The measurement error side…even if accurate, but not repeatable or reproducible provides excessive variation under the same event and hides what could be a statistically significant result and that may or may not be a significant result in real life.

IN other words, statistical significance in any study says the variable (s) in question shows an unlikely difference in means due to chance. In a straight hypothesis study an F-test is used to determine if the populations of the two means have similar variations and if not the degrees of freedom are adjusted to compensate for this. Bottom line…is the difference in means far enough apart when the variations are considered that it could have difference values and still not be significant. THAT concept is VERY important. Merely seeing different values is meaningless. In ANOVA’s (more than one condition is studied) variation may be assumed to be equal (studying tire wear on the frt driver’s side under different levels or pressure or tire manufacturers etc.) Regression is that ANOVA type study over time…over some change where we look for slope change.

Now, let’s go back to that tire study. Let’s assume that I only care about a certain tire size and maybe only two manufacturers of tires relative to the wear on that tire under various tire pressures. Let’s say rubber compound, expected load range and such suggests a nominal 35 PSI for test. Let’s say my tire gage on a perfectly flat surface provides “some” level of repeatability and reproducibility for a reasonable anticipated study and my pressure adjustments always take place on this surface for representative inflation for study…and input variable. Furthermore, let’s pretend we also have a very repeatable tread wear instrument and throw out that variable as well…both that could cause false results.

We will also pretend we are smart enough to know that not only car, but tire location on every car would provide different results and so we decide to only study the frt tire on the driver’s side AND on a certain car model…fully understanding that the results and conclusions may not be accurate for other locations or car models not studied…we are that smart. How do we know for certain what happens if not studied? Again, this is a pretty simple study with no inflation or tire wear error to complicate this. We decide to run this tire comparison for wear by inflating each tire studied at 32,33,34,35,36,37 and 38 PSI. I can manipulate the variables else I always struggle with any correlation data being causal or not. I choose the very middle of the tread for my tire wear measurements I take 7 tires from each manufacturer and inflate them to each level of pressure and compare the initial tread depth to the depth after some specified mileage or mileages. My tests are on the same surface, moisture and temperature as well as an automated control of my speed to test and consistent speed across test. I measure the wear under as controlled conditions as possible under the initial PSI, a controlled environment and surface for the specified mileage and re-measure with my perfect instrument to determine the wear from my initial reading absent any error to each endpoint absent any error in controlled conditions affecting my numbers registered in the middle of the tire.

The results may or may not have a linear relationship between pressures and wear mileages. It is quite possible that wear takes place more or even less with new tires. Do the new tires exist with the same depth initially? Does the tread depth initially have a different result due to harness differences through the depth of the tread? How is the variation of each manufacturers tire models change in hardness, tread depth consistency, sidewall rigidity and any other variable that may come into effect? If a variable in the manufacturer of the tire effects wear and we have no repeated measures under each condition can we draw conclusion that may not be correct? If we only measure the middle of the tire, is that wear reflected accurately when the tire has less air or more air…is the wear linear or does the variation of wear take a different path by not measuring the edges of when a tire is underinflated but not studied. Can I say the wear is the same whether it is in all four locations? Can I say the wear is the truth and assume that holds for all cars…for all locations in a car…for all driving conditions, for degrees of toe in or out…so very many things that “might” draw a different conclusion and all of that with no error and a perfect measuring system, input system and controllable environment? Do I conclude that tire hardness was the variable that effected the resulting data, not knowing the tread design or sidewall rigidity?

There are many more questions that arise when the data shows a certain wear…things as simple as …does the wear under these same conditions continue after 70,000 miles (not studied) as it did in the first 20,000 miles? Do we assume that is a linear relationship that extends well past the data? Did I randomize my testing or did anything in the car show up that confounded the data I was unaware…looser alignment, tie rod slop increase, inappropriate lug tightening for perpendicularity etc…etc…

There are a lot of professional people in this forum and I’m guessing that these professional people may or may not have considered this very small, simple, finite study being quite as complicated as it is. If questions along this line are not answered it would not matter if 99.9% of a group found indicators or circumstantial evidence…it is still not proven…and may never be proven…and certainly no confirming experiment exists to recreate the conditions for proof…it is an educated hunch…and “MAY” be correct, but a hunch that “should” generate further study before conclusions are drawn or the results are carefully worded to not depict something that is unknown.

In summary I can show without question that foot size is highly correlated to academic achievement...much more than any other variable for both males and females within a certain range of foot sizes. I could wager all I own against others and I would be right…in spite of foot size increases not creating higher academic achievement even though the academic data slopes upward as the foot size increases. Yeah, I still have some questions even though others may be convinced.

Reactions: punaj
Wow, this has been both enlightening and entertaining to say the least. I say this in all honesty, this has been a good discussion on this topic, even tho I do feel one of the posters was so convinced that nothing that was said was going to change is mind, but that is alright too. Let me stop and say this, as one can see by my screen name, I drive a School Bus. So a lot of this discussion was above my pay grade....lol. I do thank all of you that have studied and worked to educate yourselves to be the very best at what you all do, you should be proud of what you have accomplished, again I say thank you.
My Son graduated from PU in 2003, and of course we are huge Boiler Fans in any Sport and it's always great to hear PU doing Wonderful things in all facets of Life, what a Great School!!
God Bless you all, oh, what channel is the game on:) lol
All the Best to you, and let's sign some Basketball Recruits

Reactions: mathboy
I was in this conversation at the start because I find it interesting, but jumped out when tjreese and other started explaining this debate better than I could have done myself. In the last few days NASA has stated that world-wide ocean levels have been falling for the last 24 months. That is confusing! As the old saying goes numbers are like your brother in law, they will lie if they need too.

You act as if tjreese has stated that he has analyzed all of the available climate date and came to a different conclusion than the so called experts. I don't think he has said that. I feel the same way as he when it comes to this subject. Why is up to people that feel the way I do to bring supportive data? I am sure I could if I wanted to search the net.

I don't say this to be mean but you are acting like a stereotypical left wing progressive, or whatever that group wants to be called these days. meaning if you don't believe what I believe I am going to talk louder, demand facts (even though you can not provide undisputed facts that support your argument), point to group think type people as the wholly grail. You get my point.

Al Gore is a a carrier politician that has reportedly made hundreds of millions of dollars by trying to make himself the front man of man made global warming. I don't want this to turn into a book explaining why this bothers me so much, so I will stop there with that clown. There is a money and power trail miles long behind some of the crap that has gone on surrounding global warming. BTW, I did not believe the Ozone was disappearing ether. But that did not stop a few people from making huge amounts by outlawing CFC's used in refrigerants and propellants in spry cans. My logic then was that one medium sized volcanic eruption put 100 million times the amount of chlorine into the atmosphere than the world was producing CFC's at the time. Once the the hole in the ozone started to close it was all over with. Nothing to see here folks.

All I am trying to say is that there is enough evidence that numbers have been cooked to get the outcome some wanted to make people like me very skeptical. Like others, I am not afraid to say I may be wrong in my line of thinking, but until someone can show why I am wrong I will continue to believe what I believe.
It's all good. I am not a liberal however. Lifelong conservative, not that it matters.
There is plenty of evidence right in front of our faces, dead zones, increased flooding and droughts, etc. I am not sure how those can be ignored? I am not sure people deny that these carcinogens have increased due to the rapid edpaonsion of burning fossil fuels since WWII? I think that's widely held as true. During the 70's, we removed lead from the gasoline production process, banned chlorofluorocarbons, put stricter mileage minimums on automobiles. These things were all done for a reason, this problem didn't just pop up.
But I have no issue with others believing otherwise, my main issue, what caught my attention was the original statement about a global cooling trend in the 70's. I remember the 70's and that didn't happen. I googled it and found it to be a propaganda piece by brietbart attempting to discredit the scientific community. That's dangerous and although science like this often uses predictive models, there is real data that shows today, right this minute, we have had an effect on the climate we live in. I grew up during a time when people took responsibility for their own actions. It seems we now rely on politicians to tell us what we want to hear and provide for us the things we long for while taking no responsibility for what we are doing and what we will leave behind.
Conspiracy theories are fun and all, but even if the EPA closes its doors today, Trump fires all of the scienctists and replaces them with industry insiders, there will still be thousands of trained individuals who will continue to spend their entire lives trying to find a solution for the problem. I am still not sure what the harm would be if they are wrong? Renewable energy isn't going away and we have basically removed ourselves from the fastest growing industry in the world. Makes zero sense to me and it is offensive to see propaganda being spread amongst educated people trying to discredit the entire field of science. That just makes no sense. Are their some on the payroll, sure. Are their some who misinterpret data, sure. But to discredit thousands of professionals based on a few bad apples isn't logical. They all can't be in on it and they all can't be wrong. Mathematically impossible.

BTW, this is the statement from NASA regarding their observation of sea levels dropping.

“These patterns are consistent with earlier observations of changing precipitation over both land and oceans, and with IPCC projections of changing precipitation under a warming climate,” he said. “But we’ll need a much longer data record to fully understand the underlying cause of the patterns and whether they will persist.”

Is there going to be any tv broadcast of the august games? Or any way to watch?
The Games are held Aug. 19-30. It's like a smaller version of the Olympics -- held biennially -- with approximately 10,000 people competing (Purdue fans can watch games online). The opener is vs. Argentina (schedule here) on Aug. 20 at 5:30 a.m. ET. They will play five games before the quarterfinals start Aug. 27, with the gold medal game on Aug. 29.

Kansas won this event two years ago, beating Germany for the gold. So the pressure's on Purdue, which still has talent despite Caleb Swanigan's departure for the NBA. Matt Painter brings back Vincent Edwards, Carsen Edwards, Dakota Mathias and P.J. Thompson, a group that once again could contend in the Big Ten. Purdue will get critical experience, and likely a distinct advantage over the rest of the country heading into the season.

schedule is here http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/pur-m-baskbl-sched.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT