ADVERTISEMENT

Any realistic chance Hazell get fired mid season?

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
I highly doubt it. My question is does his salary go down after each game? That may be the biggest factor.

His salary does not go down. His buyout does not go down. Yes, there is a good chance he gets let go before the end of the season.

if his buyout does not go down each game then I do not expect him to be fired mid season.

if his buyout does not go down each game then I do not expect him to be fired mid season.

I don't think you get how his contract works. He salary from here on out is fully guaranteed. There is technically no buyout, we will just continue to pay him his salary beyond this year

I don't think you get how his contract works. He salary from here on out is fully guaranteed. There is technically no buyout, we will just continue to pay him his salary beyond this year

gotcha, I wasn't looking at it correct. So, in other words, no reason not to fire him now instead of putting it off a few months?

Correct. He is paid the same either way

The only reason why you might not want to fire him now is for recruiting. Players like to know who the coach is, but Hazell's classes have been so low it may not matter?

The only reason why you might not want to fire him now is for recruiting. Players like to know who the coach is, but Hazell's classes have been so low it may not matter?

For a lot of these players, Purdue is far and away their best offer. We will see some attrition (Hudson, Hayes, Harris) but i doubt there is a large migration

I mean that doesn't really change anything cause you still probably won't have a coach in place until December, which you obviously could still fire a coach at the end of the season and still hire on the same timeline.

There are a few reasons a mid-season firing helps.

One big thing in Purdue's case is that if money is an object, this frees you up to do things without having to be secretive. You can't go around to people looking for money to fund a buyout and/or beef up the coaching salary when you have a current head coach. If that gets out, it is HORRIBLE optics.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
I think any firing would be as much about the message to the fan base.

Reactions: D A Y
I mean that doesn't really change anything cause you still probably won't have a coach in place until December, which you obviously could still fire a coach at the end of the season and still hire on the same timeline.

There are a few reasons a mid-season firing helps.

One big thing in Purdue's case is that if money is an object, this frees you up to do things without having to be secretive. You can't go around to people looking for money to fund a buyout and/or beef up the coaching salary when you have a current head coach. If that gets out, it is HORRIBLE optics.
Yep - If MBob has made up his mind, and having The Haze hanging around hampers the search for the new coach AT ALL, then he has to go.

Purdue can write it off as a bad investment. Have the Pres. call Trump he knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT