ADVERTISEMENT

Any publicity...

Which megs the question of why we don’t spread the D with 4 and 5 wide every down.
If there was anything that I took great exception with Tiller/Chaney, is was their firm belief that they somehow needed to prove people wrong that believed what they did was some gimmick, to the point that they were determined to show that they could line up and "trade punches" with the likes of UM and OSU by playing "smash mouth football" as they liked to say.

There is no reason that Purdue, with the crazy talent and depth at the position, is not maximizing that by using 4/5 WR sets as you suggest...I admittedly do not understand.

If there was anything that I took great exception with Tiller/Chaney, is was their firm belief that they somehow needed to prove people wrong that believed what they did was some gimmick, to the point that they were determined to show that they could line up and "trade punches" with the likes of UM and OSU by playing "smash mouth football" as they liked to say.

There is no reason that Purdue, with the crazy talent and depth at the position, is not maximizing that by using 4/5 WR sets as you suggest...I admittedly do not understand.
Yes! I would have to believe this would also help our dismal running game. Highlight your strengths to offset your weaknesses.

I like what Brohm does..

He has a TE out there that is a threat to get chunk plays but also a good blocker in Payne Durham. He has two physical running backs that can get the yards that are there and get to the chains, and then he has the passes to those Backs. To me this keeps defenses honest enough because they can’t ignore the run in the back 7 like they so often could with tiller.

Now, compare this season with 2018.. to me of course Wright and bell are more talented than Zico and terry Wright, but this offense is Nearly as fluid.

Pay close attention next game to Plummer in general, to Milton Wright, to the left side of the field and to the deep outside part of the field NOT on vertical routes.

Plummer is as smooth as David blough when he knows what he’s doing and where he is going. He doesn’t see the field as well as Blough or O’Connell (sindelar was just a different kinda QB than all of them), doesn’t make decisions as quickly as them and can’t use the whole field as quickly as them.

The weak point of the offense is actually Milton wright and the left side of the field. He disappears for long stretches (which to me is on the QB not working back to their left as well) and defenses feel comfortable concentrating on the 75% of the field to the right.

This is where terry Wright and Isaac Zico were for a year and a half and then suddenly you snap your finger and it looked like blough had been playing with them for 10 years. That will happen for Plummer and Wright but it hasn’t yet.

That’s much different than needing to replace 3 offensive linemen with guys who aren’t ready for p5 football. That’s a much deeper hole to dig yourself out of.

Also I’m not sure what you’re talking about with tiller and Michigan and Ohio state. Go watch the 03 Michigan game. We went four wide all day abs they went press coverage cover 0 and brought the house.

I think Purdue comes out like this next year

LT Eric Miller
LG Cam Craig
C Gus Hartwig
RG Kyle Jornigan
RT Will Bramel
TE Payne Durham
QB Jack Plummer
RB king Doerue
WR David Bell
WR Milton Wright
WR Terry Sheffield

And what youre gonna have is an OL that’s full of veterans, deep and bigger and stronger making Doerue runs a threat for big plays so that the defense must hold toward the front long enough that when it’s a fake handoff Plummer is going to have a lot of time to hit five talented receiving options with fluid crisp passes.

And no I wouldn’t be surprised if horvath starts but I see Doerue starting to break past that second level very soon

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT