ADVERTISEMENT

Another white supremacist mass shooting

“We all know banning guns won’t work.” -Twin and his Bob Evans buddies.

No, we all don’t know that.

Banning guns WOULD HAVE worked, had we had the 2nd and 3rd branches of government willing to do it 100 years ago.....

With 2nd Amendment precedents in place...…..a stone wall, now...…..

Banning guns WOULD HAVE worked, had we had the 2nd and 3rd branches of government willing to do it 100 years ago.....

With 2nd Amendment precedents in place...…..a stone wall, now...…..
Again, here’s the thing. Would the USSC ever have invalidated the 2nd Amendment by banning guns? Even 100 years ago? Oh, hell no!

People can be filled with hate and not be "crazy". They can be obsessed with something and not be "crazy". It is not true that everyone who kills someone is "crazy". 20 precious 6 and 7 year olds died in a horrendous shooting. If I had said 20 fetuses were aborted people would be up in arms and screaming about it. But nothing for these precious children. NOTHING! Sickening.

People can be filled with hate and not be "crazy". They can be obsessed with something and not be "crazy". It is not true that everyone who kills someone is "crazy". 20 precious 6 and 7 year olds died in a horrendous shooting. If I had said 20 fetuses were aborted people would be up in arms and screaming about it. But nothing for these precious children. NOTHING! Sickening.
So it's okay to kill babies in the womb....or as they exit the birth canal? No Beth, killing is wrong in every way save for self defense. What about all those folks in Chicago who die every day..where's your rant about them?

And yes, you have to be a tad unstable to kill someone, and no, you don't have to hate to be crazy enough to do that.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
lol. YOU believe a white American can't commit terrorism.......he has to be mentally ill right?
But a Muslim, that's a different story. It's got to be terrorism.

That about cover it......you unbelievably close minded American white man?
Quit being obtuse....I never said anyone is exempt from committing terrorism did I? But what I did say is that you have to be mentally ill to do what he did.

Please, don't make yourself look a total fool by attempting to put words in someone's mouth that never said it.

As I mentioned to hunk - do you think that the El Paso shooter will face charges, or, due to his "mental derangement " as you put it, be found incompetent to stand trial ??
Not Hunk, but I do believe he'll stand trial, and that he will be found guilty, and that he will be executed. Do I believe he'll lawyer up and try to cop some sort of plea....like insanity....sure I do. But it won't matter.

Again, here’s the thing. Would the USSC ever have invalidated the 2nd Amendment by banning guns? Even 100 years ago? Oh, hell no!
Don't want to start the 150 post war, again, on this. It wasn't until 1975 that SCOTUS came up with its landmark put-it-to-rest ruling on the 2nd Amendment.

100 yrs. ago, before the gun lobby and the do-or-die gun rights fanatics, overturning the 2nd Amendment wasn't out of the question. SCOTUS, in that instance, would not have been involved.

Too late now.
180,000,000+ guns.
End of story.

So it's okay to kill babies in the womb....or as they exit the birth canal? No Beth, killing is wrong in every way save for self defense. What about all those folks in Chicago who die every day..where's your rant about them?

And yes, you have to be a tad unstable to kill someone, and no, you don't have to hate to be crazy enough to do that.

Where in my post did I say it is ok to kill babies in or out of the womb? You missed the entire point of my post.

Don't want to start the 150 post war, again, on this. It wasn't until 1975 that SCOTUS came up with its landmark put-it-to-rest ruling on the 2nd Amendment.

100 yrs. ago, before the gun lobby and the do-or-die gun rights fanatics, overturning the 2nd Amendment wasn't out of the question. SCOTUS, in that instance, would not have been involved.

Too late now.
180,000,000+ guns.
End of story.
Try 300M guns.

Not Hunk, but I do believe he'll stand trial, and that he will be found guilty, and that he will be executed. Do I believe he'll lawyer up and try to cop some sort of plea....like insanity....sure I do. But it won't matter.
The earlier discussion included the idea that the El Paso killer was " deranged ", as you put it, and not, perhaps, of having incorporated political motivation into the calculation of guilt. I.e. the White Nationalism factor. That could wind up being unpleasant in some circles.

White supremacist terrorism is orders of magnitude more dangerous and more common to Americans than Islamic terrorism. The media only treats one as actual terrorism

Literally the only reason the media and the government will not condemn white supremacy and white supremacist terrorism is because the ideology of the terrorists too closely resembles the ideology of the Republican Party, and they don’t want to be seen as partisan.

Cowards.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ew-gun-control-measures/ar-AAFmSa1?li=BBUPk4T

Quit being obtuse....I never said anyone is exempt from committing terrorism did I? But what I did say is that you have to be mentally ill to do what he did.

Please, don't make yourself look a total fool by attempting to put words in someone's mouth that never said it.
I'm being quite clear actually. The white mass murderer, who you know nothing about, had to be crazy to kill all those people. For the Muslim, it would be intentional as he's a terrorist. Those were your first reactions.....which is usually what one truly believes.

Reactions: SKYDOG
The Boston bombing, the shooting in Orlando, the El Paso shooting, and the Dayton shooting were ALL terroristic acts. And they were all perpetrated by mentally deranged lunatics.

Again, how are cherry picking them and labeling them? Was the Las Vegas shooter mentally ill by your internet diagnosis too?

You're quick to blame mental illness, but don't know these people.

White supremacy is not a "mental illness".

And assault weapons still don't belong in the stores.

Again, how are cherry picking them and labeling them? Was the Las Vegas shooter mentally ill by your internet diagnosis too?

Give me a break. The list wasn’t meant to be an exhaustive one. The LV shooter certainly fits the bill as someone who is mentally deranged. Indiscriminately firing down at people from a hotel room watching a concert. Yes, that totally sounds like a deranged lunatic to me.

The Boston bombing, the shooting in Orlando, the El Paso shooting, and the Dayton shooting were ALL terroristic acts. And they were all perpetrated by mentally deranged lunatics.

You know what else I’d like to know? A lot of these shootings are getting written off due to mental illness. Well, plenty of women have mental illness. Plenty of women play violent video games. Why aren’t they committing these mass shootings? Why is it just white men?

While I do think anyone who does something like this is obviously batshit, there’s gotta be more to it than that where there’s been a certain demographic doing most of the carnage.

You know what else I’d like to know? A lot of these shootings are getting written off due to mental illness. Well, plenty of women have mental illness. Plenty of women play violent video games. Why aren’t they committing these mass shootings? Why is it just white men?

While I do think anyone who does something like this is obviously batshit, there’s gotta be more to it than that where there’s been a certain demographic doing most of the carnage.

Also, apparently mental illness and video games are only in the United States. No where else.

Give me a break. The list wasn’t meant to be an exhaustive one. The LV shooter certainly fits the bill as someone who is mentally deranged. Indiscriminately firing down at people from a hotel room watching a concert. Yes, that totally sounds like a deranged lunatic to me.

So if you're just basing this on "horrible things people do"....isn't everyone who commits a murder deranged? Whether they kill one person or 50? Anyone who commits a murder to me is deranged to me. It doesn't mean they are clinically affected by mental health issues and have a clouded judgment when they commit the crimes they did.

And if it's a mental health issue, why is it happening so much more in the US? Are our citizens more mentally deranged than the rest of the world?

Last edited:

Also, apparently mental illness and video games are in the United States. No where else.

Exactly.

And for the record, I am NOT dismissing an element of mental illness. But I’m also not going to just lay it down as a blanket excuse. Not when women aren’t doing the same. Not when other countries have guns and video games but don’t have this issue.

Mental illness is an easy scapegoat for these events and it’s nothing more than a convenient excuse to look the other way.

I’m glad the El Paso shooting is being treated as domestic terrorism because that’s what it was. The guy laid it out there. It was pre-planned. He knew what he was doing. Dayton will be harder to figure out, at least from a motive perspective, because the shooter is dead. Domestic terrorism also loosely is defined as having a political element as well, and we don’t know yet if that’s the case with Dayton.

At the end of the day, though, it was yet another white man doing the shooting. Someone who had access to a weapon designed to cause great harm in a very short amount of time.

It’s not my job to do that - the Dayton Police are doing that.
Of course they are. But what was your post's point about the Dayton shooter being a Warren/Dem. supporter meant to imply ? That it might be a factor in the killer's motivation ? Maybe he was a Reds fan, as well.

Reactions: indy35
“We all know banning guns won’t work.” -Twin and his Bob Evans buddies.

No, we all don’t know that.
You're right....You weren't a part of the group. But we'd have let you join in had you been there.

WE know it won't work because criminals don't give a shit about the "rules". And I can kill with a car, a truck, a motorcycle, bombs, or any other device to do harm if I don't have a gun. Again...Criminals don't give a shit.

Exactly.

And for the record, I am NOT dismissing an element of mental illness. But I’m also not going to just lay it down as a blanket excuse. Not when women aren’t doing the same. Not when other countries have guns and video games but don’t have this issue.

Mental illness is an easy scapegoat for these events and it’s nothing more than a convenient excuse to look the other way.

I’m glad the El Paso shooting is being treated as domestic terrorism because that’s what it was. The guy laid it out there. It was pre-planned. He knew what he was doing. Dayton will be harder to figure out, at least from a motive perspective, because the shooter is dead. Domestic terrorism also loosely is defined as having a political element as well, and we don’t know yet if that’s the case with Dayton.

At the end of the day, though, it was yet another white man doing the shooting. Someone who had access to a weapon designed to cause great harm in a very short amount of time.
PF, you don't think the guy in Dayton was a bit crazy????? He shot and killed his own sister man.

Exactly.

PF, you don't think the guy in Dayton was a bit crazy????? He shot and killed his own sister man.

Dude. Re-read what I said. Please.

While I do think anyone who does something like this is obviously batshit, there’s gotta be more to it than that where there’s been a certain demographic doing most of the carnage
So if you're just basing this on "horrible things people do"....isn't everyone who commits a murder deranged? Whether they kill one person or 50? Anyone who commits a murder to me is deranged to me. It doesn't mean they are clinically affected by mental health issues and have a clouded judgment when they commit the crimes they did.

And if it's a mental health issue, why is it happening so much more in the US? Are our citizens more mentally deranged than the rest of the world?
It’s a good question. There are some theories about why. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else knows for sure. That’s the scary thing about it.

Of course they are. But what was your post's point about the Dayton shooter being a Warren/Dem. supporter meant to imply ? That it might be a factor in the killer's motivation ? Maybe he was a Reds fan, as well.
I wasn’t one who was saying that it was just right-wing lunatics who were the killers. A number of your left-leaning compatriots tried to make that statement. This kind of violence comes from all kinds of backgrounds and beliefs.

vzs0

70, though you and I don't agree on a lot, as Hunk said you're a bit more sensible than some of the others on here. Yesterday and today I went to Columbus Ohio for an adult nephew's birthday party and was shocked when I heard about both shootings this morning. Had a lot of discussion this morning over breakfast at Bob Evans with family and friends regarding the cause of these shootings, and everyone from nurses, to firemen, to engineers, to business folks...white, black, old and young. democrats, repubs/moderates...chimed in around the causes and how to fix it. No one thought banning guns is the answer because if a whack job wants to kill someone, or multiple someone's, he can find a way. Most of us agreed that the main causes are...the one's doing it are mentally ill and years ago would have most likely been institutionalized, but 90% put a lot of blame on social media, which I tend to agree with both....especially the part about being institutionalized. The media...Fox, CNN, ABC...all of them were also taking a lot of the blame.

First thing I'm for is a rigerous background check, with any negative or suspiciious findings being placed in a nation wide data base, and if you want to call it profiling so be it. If profiling stops one of these mass shootings, or a kinfe attack, then profile the hell out of it.

But since we can't profile any more, and knowing banning guns isn't the answer (and though I have several guns and I support the right, I'm not a fan of so called assault rifles), from the left side what are your unbiased thoughts on what are the causes and how it gets fixed?
Sorry for the delay in responding but I was vacationing last week and have been trying to approach catching up with the office.
Actually the delay has provided me this morning with a partial reply to your post when I read this NYT Op-Ed that, while I haven't fully digested, I pretty much agree with. While it is directed at the President, it isn't an exercise in blame placing, but is far more an attempt at addressing the overall causation of the mass shooting phenomenon, that rings generally true to me
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/opinion/trump-el-paso-dayton-shootings.html

You're right....You weren't a part of the group. But we'd have let you join in had you been there.

WE know it won't work because criminals don't give a shit about the "rules". And I can kill with a car, a truck, a motorcycle, bombs, or any other device to do harm if I don't have a gun. Again...Criminals don't give a shit.
You don't know it won't work. You think it won't work for those reasons. Words have meaning. There is truly only one way to know.

It’s a good question. There are some theories about why. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else knows for sure. That’s the scary thing about it.

Well, we do know assault weapons are designed for one purpose: killing people.

These should not be sold in stores.

You don't know it won't work. You think it won't work for those reasons. Words have meaning. There is truly only one way to know.

Also, most of these mass shooting occur with guns legally purchased. These people are not typically "on the streets" people. For example, the shooting at the Garlic Festival in California. The shooter drove all the way from Nevada where he purchased the weapon because they are banned in California.

And quite frankly, as you mention, do we do nothing because PERHAPS there could be a way around it?

I'm personally for making it harder for a person to not get a weapon designed to mow people down. If it stops one shooter from getting an assault weapon, then it worked.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I was vacationing last week and have been trying to approach catching up with the office.
Actually the delay has provided me this morning with a partial reply to your post when I read this NYT Op-Ed that, while I haven't fully digested, I pretty much agree with. While it is directed at the President, it isn't an exercise in blame placing, but is far more an attempt at addressing the overall causation of the mass shooting phenomenon, that rings generally true to me
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/opinion/trump-el-paso-dayton-shootings.html
An interesting read, but again a flawed analysis by an avowed Never Trumper.

Did not deranged killers mow down folks at Columbine under Clinton, Pulse Nightclub and Sandy Hook under Obama, University of Texas under LBJ, Luby’s restaurant under George HW Bush, Virginia Tech under George W Bush, Las Vegas under Trump?

Douthat tried to make it seem as if these recent shootings were caused by Trump. Did these other Presidents cause mass shootings during their Administration, too? It’s a specious argument at best. Mental illness has afflicted many generations. Trump has not helped tamp down the tendency for these shootings, for sure, but he did not cause deranged people to kill others. They pulled the triggers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT