ADVERTISEMENT

All Time Painter Purdue team

Edwards is arguably a Purdue all-time great. Easily the best all-around scoring guard Painter has had and probably Keady as well .
I agree, although I would say E’Twaun belongs in the conversation. If I imagine this team going up against MSU greats from the same era, for example, Carsen’s scoring is needed. In all due respect to Lewis Jackson and PJ Thompson, Carsen has to start and play big minutes.

Edwards is arguably a Purdue all-time great. Easily the best all-around scoring guard Painter has had and probably Keady as well .
I'd take Moore over him as an overall player. A few other guards I think have more/different dimensions to their game. But you are right. He's one of the best scorers for sure.

I agree, although I would say E’Twaun belongs in the conversation. If I imagine this team going up against MSU greats from the same era, for example, Carsen’s scoring is needed. In all due respect to Lewis Jackson and PJ Thompson, Carsen has to start and play big minutes.

PJ and LewJack don't even belong in the same sentence, paragraph or book at Edwards.
ETwaun was a great player, but I'll still take Edwards over everyone not named Glenn Robinson.

PJ and LewJack don't even belong in the same sentence, paragraph or book at Edwards.
ETwaun was a great player, but I'll still take Edwards over everyone not named Glenn Robinson.
That's your prerogative. I just don't see a ball-dominant scorer as a need, or necessarily even a good thing, on a team where most everyone is capable of scoring. If my goal was to pick the 13 best scorers, he would be in the top 5 for sure.

As for the comparison to Moore, I don't think Carsen belongs in the same ballpark as E'twaun as an overall player. Moore was far more well-rounded and just as capable offensively. I think the fact that he's spent a decade in the NBA even though he was a 2nd-round draft pick says quite a bit.

Reactions: MLB007
That's your prerogative. I just don't see a ball-dominant scorer as a need, or necessarily even a good thing, on a team where most everyone is capable of scoring. If my goal was to pick the 13 best scorers, he would be in the top 5 for sure.

As for the comparison to Moore, I don't think Carsen belongs in the same ballpark as E'twaun as an overall player. Moore was far more well-rounded and just as capable offensively. I think the fact that he's spent a decade in the NBA even though he was a 2nd-round draft pick says quite a bit.
In 2018, Carsen showed that he could fit in nicely with a well-balanced offense with a great post scorer. If the concern is getting more glue guys into the lineup, I might consider inserting Dakota at the three and shifting Hummel to the four, but Carsen and E’Twaun are starting in any scenario.

In 2018, Carsen showed that he could fit in nicely with a well-balanced offense with a great post scorer. If the concern is getting more glue guys into the lineup, I might consider inserting Dakota at the three and shifting Hummel to the four, but Carsen and E’Twaun are starting in any scenario.
Not mine!

I'll take a scorer over a defensive glue guy all day, every day and twice on Sunday.
Carsen needs to be in the starting line up of every all-time Purdue team.

I'd take Moore over him as an overall player. A few other guards I think have more/different dimensions to their game. But you are right. He's one of the best scorers for sure.
I agree ETwaun is the better overall player, and definitely more efficient. But I think you have to at least have Carsen coming off the bench as an instant offense guy.

Reactions: TC4THREE
I agree ETwaun is the better overall player, and definitely more efficient. But I think you have to at least have Carsen coming off the bench as an instant offense guy.
Moore was a really good player for PU and has proven that with some staying power in the NBA, but he never carried the team like Grob or Edwards did. Some of that might have had to do with supporting casts, but you could tell Carsen that to win, you needed 30 pts and he'd go get it for you.

Reactions: northside100
I liked Ivey to be that guy on my team. I think we've yet to see the best from him.

Moore was a really good player for PU and has proven that with some staying power in the NBA, but he never carried the team like Grob or Edwards did. Some of that might have had to do with supporting casts, but you could tell Carsen that to win, you needed 30 pts and he'd go get it for you.
Someone needs to go watch the 2011 Ohio State game.

Also, Moore played with a 1st-team AA in JJ. He didn't need to score as much every game. He was a more efficient scorer than Edwards and he played hard/well on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ Ford
I was at that game and yes, Moore had a great game, probably his best at Purdue. But Edwards had those types of games consistently and he's the only reason that team was a fluke play away from the FF.

I was at that game and yes, Moore had a great game, probably his best at Purdue. But Edwards had those types of games consistently and he's the only reason that team was a fluke play away from the FF.
Ryan Cline is the only reason that team didn't lose in Sweet Sixteen.

Ryan Cline is the only reason that team didn't lose in Sweet Sixteen.
Not sure I'd say the 'only' reason. I believe CE had 29 that game, hit a freethrow to tie it with 1 second left.
Don't forget, Cline missed the crucial FT that would have put Purdue up 3 with 12 seconds left against VA.

Not sure I'd say the 'only' reason. I believe CE had 29 that game, hit a freethrow to tie it with 1 second left.
Don't forget, Cline missed the crucial FT that would have put Purdue up 3 with 12 seconds left against VA.
So you think we win the Tennessee game without Cline but have no problem handing over all the credit to Carsen for that whole NCAA run? Sounds like someone is a fanboy to me.

So you think we win the Tennessee game without Cline but have no problem handing over all the credit to Carsen for that whole NCAA run? Sounds like someone is a fanboy to me.
That's not what I said. Cline was clutch and hit some unbelievable shots. But Carsen was still the leading scorer, drew a crucial foul and hit a FT under incredible pressure.
So no, I'm not giving all the credit to CE, but he was pretty important in that game.
But, CE did have a historical scoring output in the tourney.

That's not what I said. Cline was clutch and hit some unbelievable shots. But Carsen was still the leading scorer, drew a crucial foul and hit a FT under incredible pressure.
So no, I'm not giving all the credit to CE, but he was pretty important in that game.
But, CE did have a historical scoring output in the tourney.
I guess I must have misinterpreted when you said he was the only reason they were a play away from the Final Four.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Moore never led us to an elite eight. Big dog and Carsen did.

Also, Moore played with a 1st-team AA in JJ. He didn't need to score as much every game. He was a more efficient scorer than Edwards and he played hard/well on both ends of the court.
Also, Moore played with a 1st-team AA in JJ, and another that might well have been in Robbie Hummel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT