ADVERTISEMENT

All Time Painter Purdue team

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
If you were to build a team of Painter Purdue players, who would you start and who would you include on a 13 man roster? Here is what I came up with:
Carsen Edwards
E’Twaun Moore
Robbie Hummel
Carl Landry
Caleb Swanigan

Bench:
JaJuan Johnson (All American, but I gave a slight edge to Swanigan and I think Landry is a better fit at the 4)
Dakota Mathias (wanted to start him, but couldn’t sit Landry or Hummel)
Vincent Edwards
AJ Hammons (that he is the third string center says a lot)
Chris Kramer
Jaden Ivey
Trevion Williams
Lewis Jackson (wanted one pure point guard)

Worth mentioning:
Isaac Haas (should be on the bench, but just too many centers)
Ryan Cline
David Teague
Ray Davis
PJ Thompson
Terone Johnson
Matt Haarms
Zach Edey
Grady Eifert
Keaton Grant
Jon Octeus
Ryne Smith
DJ Byrd

I would personally go:

1 - Carsen Edwards
2 - E’Twaun Moore
3 - Robbie Hummel
4 - Caleb Swanigan
5 - Isaac Haas

Teams would have to shoot 50% from 3 to even compete. No one would touch the paint. And I'll take the shooting combo of Edwards, Moore, and Hummel as a stretch 3 against just about anyone.

I like Jajuan Johnson at the 5- best combination of scoring ability and defense.

1 C. Edwards
2 E. Moore
3 R. Hummel
4 C. Swanigan
5 J. Johnson

1 J. Ivey
2 D. Mathias
3 V. Edwards
4 C. Landry
5 A. Hammons

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I like Jajuan Johnson at the 5- best combination of scoring ability and defense.

1 C. Edwards
2 E. Moore
3 R. Hummel
4 C. Swanigan
5 J. Johnson

1 J. Ivey
2 D. Mathias
3 V. Edwards
4 C. Landry
5 A. Hammons
I like JJ for inside-outside O and D.

For a team that would be hard to keep up with,

C Edwards
E Moore
J Ivey
R Hummel
J Johnson

I would personally go:

1 - Carsen Edwards
2 - E’Twaun Moore
3 - Robbie Hummel
4 - Caleb Swanigan
5 - Isaac Haas

Teams would have to shoot 50% from 3 to even compete. No one would touch the paint. And I'll take the shooting combo of Edwards, Moore, and Hummel as a stretch 3 against just about anyone.
Wow i totally blanked on JaJuan Johnson, slide him into the 5

Platoon system, baby! Roll out guys who are used to playing together

Black
K. Grant
C. Kramer
E. Moore
R. Hummel
J. Johnson

Gold
PJ Thompson
C. Edwards
D. Mathias
V. Edwards
C. Swanigan

Floaters
AJ Hammons
J. Ivey
J. Octeus

I might consider replacing Kramer, who couldn't shoot, with Ray Davis, who was almost as good a defender and was sporadically capable of going off on offense. And I might start Octeus in place of PJ on the Gold team and add then add Landry or Trevion as a floater, since Hummel and Vince could both slide up and play the 3.

And if we're going up against IU's all-time team, I'm definitely adding Bryson Scott to guarantee victory against the Hoosiers.

1 C. Edwards
2 E. Moore
3 R. Hummel
4 C. Swanigan
5 J. Johnson

1 J. Ivey
2 D. Mathias
3 V. Edwards
4 C. Landry
5 A. Hammons
I almost went with this lineup, as JJ was a tremendous two way player, but I don’t think either Swanigan or JJ was as equipped as Landry to guard the 4, which is why Landry had a long NBA career. Landry was a terrific athlete and a total warrior inside. I like the toughness that he and Swanigan would bring. I saw him battle Greg Oden and Al Horford like a total warrior. With Swanigan’s ability to shoot the three, I think the two could co-exist nicely.

You HAVE to get Grady some minutes. Glue guys are underrated. I would take Eifert over Vince Edwards.
Insane. Painter would disagree as he played Edwards over Grady until Edward’s graduated.. Edwards was a glue guy and second team all big ten. he averaged 15-7-3 as a senior. In the ONE YEAR Grady gave any type of contribution he averaged 5-5-2. I loved Grady and defended him over the idiots who thought Wheeler should play more than Grady but this take is just awful.

I almost went with this lineup, as JJ was a tremendous two way player, but I don’t think either Swanigan or JJ was as equipped as Landry to guard the 4, which is why Landry had a long NBA career. Landry was a terrific athlete and a total warrior inside. I like the toughness that he and Swanigan would bring. I saw him battle Greg Oden and Al Horford like a total warrior. With Swanigan’s ability to shoot the three, I think the two could co-exist nicely.
Can't argue about Landry as a choice. As you said, a true warrior who refused to lose. Only lacked the outside shot, but if you surround him with CE, Moore, Ivey, and Hummel, then Landry is unstoppable inside of 12 feet.

Reactions: punaj
If you were to build a team of Painter Purdue players, who would you start and who would you include on a 13 man roster? Here is what I came up with:
Carsen Edwards
E’Twaun Moore
Robbie Hummel
Carl Landry
Caleb Swanigan

Bench:
JaJuan Johnson (All American, but I gave a slight edge to Swanigan and I think Landry is a better fit at the 4)
Dakota Mathias (wanted to start him, but couldn’t sit Landry or Hummel)
Vincent Edwards
AJ Hammons (that he is the third string center says a lot)
Chris Kramer
Jaden Ivey
Trevion Williams
Lewis Jackson (wanted one pure point guard)

Worth mentioning:
Isaac Haas (should be on the bench, but just too many centers)
Ryan Cline
David Teague
Ray Davis
PJ Thompson
Terone Johnson
Matt Haarms
Zach Edey
Grady Eifert
Keaton Grant
Jon Octeus
Ryne Smith
DJ Byrd
These are all great lineups if all you are thinking about is scoring. If I need to go into a Duke or OSU or Michigan State and matchup with them on defense and win a huge game, Chris Kramer is starting for me. Period. I would put four offensive guys around him, but I want him on the best player. He absolutely wreaked havoc an willed us to wins. I would take the 2010 unit, with an upgrade for LewJack/Barlow.

Kramer
E'Twaun
JaJuan
Hummel
Carsen Edwards

These are all great lineups if all you are thinking about is scoring. If I need to go into a Duke or OSU or Michigan State and matchup with them on defense and win a huge game, Chris Kramer is starting for me. Period. I would put four offensive guys around him, but I want him on the best player. He absolutely wreaked havoc an willed us to wins. I would take the 2010 unit, with an upgrade for LewJack/Barlow.

Kramer
E'Twaun
JaJuan
Hummel
Carsen Edwards

In todays game Kramer would be whistled for fouls almost immediately

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler

Kramer
E'Twaun
JaJuan
Hummel
Carsen Edwards
Good point. I just don’t see how you leave biggie off the team. I’d put biggie in over jujuan. Small lineup but you got your defender, shooter, scorer, glue guy, and rebounder.

Kramer
Carsen
Smooge
Hummel
Biggie

Good point. I just don’t see how you leave biggie off the team. I’d put biggie in over jujuan. Small lineup but you got your defender, shooter, scorer, glue guy, and rebounder.

Kramer
Carsen
Smooge
Hummel
Biggie
I know I’m replying to m my own comment, but as I think about this more I might even pull Edward’s off the team due to his defensive liability and the fact we don’t need his scoring as much and go bigger shifting everyone also is and bring jujuan back in.

kramer
Smooge
Hummel
Biggie
Jujuan

I know I’m replying to m my own comment, but as I think about this more I might even pull Edward’s off the team due to his defensive liability and the fact we don’t need his scoring as much and go bigger shifting everyone also is and bring jujuan back in.

kramer
Smooge
Hummel
Biggie
Jujuan

This unit doesn’t really have a ball handler- it would be more of a point guard by committee approach

Maybe. But I’d rather have kramer bring it up than carsen.
I disagree. A backcourt with Carsen was rarely pressed because Carsen was too good in space and could make the opposition pay.

No way does Carsen not start in any scenario. He put the Boilers on his back and came within a miracle play of reaching the Final Four. I loved the 2010 team, but when I think about an All Painter Team, Carsen is the first player to secure a spot.

I disagree. A backcourt with Carsen was rarely pressed because Carsen was too good in space and could make the opposition pay.

No way does Carsen not start in any scenario. He put the Boilers on his back and came within a miracle play of reaching the Final Four. I loved the 2010 team, but when I think about an All Painter Team, Carsen is the first player to secure a spot.
He scored at will because we needed someone to (and Cline). With Biggie and Jujuan scoring combined 75 ppg and the defense the team could bring I feel like carsen would really take a lot from our team defensively and take points away from the other 4. The 2010 team was a final four team before Hummel went down. Swap in biggie for Keaton grant they are champions.

I break this down into an "all star" lineup and an "optimized" lineup. All star teams are rarely optimized because they are build on stats, not blended with all the skills required for building a complete team (see USA basketball). Always remember there is only one ball and it needs to be shared when you have it, it has to be defended when the other team has it, and it has to be secured when no one has it.

All Star:
C. Edwards
E'twaun
Hummel
Swanigan
Johnson

Optimized:
Kramer
E'twaun
Mathias
Hummel
Swanigan

I just don’t get how Kramer and Moore is an optimized lineup. I would think an optimized lineup would have a distributor. Best distributor on that squad is Mathias. I’d probably go with Jackson over Kramer if we were going with the lineup that would actually play at the highest level.

I’m never going to get over how poorly he played in that Kansas game though. Average game from LJ and it’s an upset victory and another sweet 16

I just don’t get how Kramer and Moore is an optimized lineup. I would think an optimized lineup would have a distributor. Best distributor on that squad is Mathias. I’d probably go with Jackson over Kramer if we were going with the lineup that would actually play at the highest level.

I’m never going to get over how poorly he played in that Kansas game though. Average game from LJ and it’s an upset victory and another sweet 16
I can appreciate that take. But with LJ vs. CK3, I'll take the defense, length, and intangibles from CK3 and trade some handles. I'm not convinced their respective passing abilities are much different. Mathias, Kramer, Moore, even Hummel can all initiate the offense. That team would defend and shoot (3 and D) all takers out of the gym.

For those who picked Kramer for their All-Painter Team, I think that only guards Doug Lee and Rosie Barnes on the All-Keady Team wouldn't be physically bullied by him.

He was completely gassed at the end of that game because Barlow was kicked off the team (for the second tournament in a row). Barlow absorbs some of LJ minutes and plays decent and Purdue wins that game.

Reactions: IUhaterade
For those who picked Kramer for their All-Painter Team, I think that only guards Doug Lee and Rosie Barnes on the All-Keady Team wouldn't be physically bullied by him.

I like Kramer and the energy he brought to the floor, but you'd be handicapping the team offensively with him out there.
It would be similar to having Eastern on the floor: great defender, disruptor, etc, but offensively limited.

Ricky Hall out of Ft. Wayne Concordia was Cat Quick.....still one of my all-time favorite Boilers.
Both Tony Jones and Ricky Hall are among my all-time favorites. Tony Jones always shut down the opponent's best scorer, He wasn't overpowered by anyone. He shut down a much bigger All-American Glenn Rice in a game against UM. And Ricky Hall could have led Purdue far into the tourney if he hadn't been knocked unconscious against Arkansas.

Lewis Jackson - don't need a scoring pg with this lineup. his quickness is a different element for this team.
Etwaun Moore - only long-term pro recruited by Painter.
Dakota Mathias - dead-eye shooter. great passer. great defender.
Vince Edwards - CMP offense best with versatile 4 with guard skills. him or Hummel. Vince more durable.
AJ Hammons - his senior season was best season of any player under CMP imo.

PJ Thompson - facilitator off the bench. takes care of ball. hits fts. hits open 3's.
JaJuan Johnson - 1st team AA as senior. Another scorer, rebounder, and rim protector in the post.
Ryan Cline - zone-buster off the bench. Great passer as an upperclassman.
Robbie Hummel - Could swap him for Vince. Really about 50/50 on those two but both make the team for sure.
Isaac Haas - Matchup nightmare we can run offense through if he doesn't have to defend perimeter on defense.
Caleb Swanigan - rebounding and post-offense off the bench. Defensive limitations kept him on my bench.
Jaden Ivey - this is a pick based mostly off expectations. Alpha scorer off the bench. Can pass and play d.
Carl Landry. Probably the best 4 out of the bunch (as a pro) but not the best fit for a CMP starting 4.

Lewis Jackson - don't need a scoring pg with this lineup. his quickness is a different element for this team.
Etwaun Moore - only long-term pro recruited by Painter.
Dakota Mathias - dead-eye shooter. great passer. great defender.
Vince Edwards - CMP offense best with versatile 4 with guard skills. him or Hummel. Vince more durable.
AJ Hammons - his senior season was best season of any player under CMP imo.

PJ Thompson - facilitator off the bench. takes care of ball. hits fts. hits open 3's.
JaJuan Johnson - 1st team AA as senior. Another scorer, rebounder, and rim protector in the post.
Ryan Cline - zone-buster off the bench. Great passer as an upperclassman.
Robbie Hummel - Could swap him for Vince. Really about 50/50 on those two but both make the team for sure.
Isaac Haas - Matchup nightmare we can run offense through if he doesn't have to defend perimeter on defense.
Caleb Swanigan - rebounding and post-offense off the bench. Defensive limitations kept him on my bench.
Jaden Ivey - this is a pick based mostly off expectations. Alpha scorer off the bench. Can pass and play d.
Carl Landry. Probably the best 4 out of the bunch (as a pro) but not the best fit for a CMP starting 4.
Did you intentionally leave Carsen Edwards off the roster?

No. I was trying to create the best team. He's a scorer but this team will already have plenty of that.
So one of the best Purdue players to ever wear the uniform wouldn't be on the team? Interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT