ADVERTISEMENT

All Big Ten Final! Sweet!

2 great games to watch last night. Especially after a terrible year of bad bowls due to opt outs. We need a 16 or 24 team playoff so players have something to play for and we have better games to watch. If players are getting NIL, I want more entertainment value.

The 24 team playoff would have the top 8 get a bye while bottom 16 have 1 first round game. #25 is Mr. Irrelevant

Reactions: Mroad and rgarlitz
2 great games to watch last night. Especially after a terrible year of bad bowls due to opt outs. We need a 16 or 24 team playoff so players have something to play for and we have better games to watch. If players are getting NIL, I want more entertainment value.

The 24 team playoff would have the top 8 get a bye while bottom 16 have 1 first round game. #25 is Mr. Irrelevant
I think the 12 team playoff we already have will be enough. Does the 13th ranked team this year really think they are the best in the country?

Reactions: rgarlitz
I think the 12 team playoff we already have will be enough. Does the 13th ranked team this year really think they are the best in the country?
You're absolutely right that 12 is enough in terms of the national championship. I'm just talking about pure entertainment value compared to the plethora of meaningless and sloppy bowls with so many opt outs.

You're absolutely right that 12 is enough in terms of the national championship. I'm just talking about pure entertainment value compared to the plethora of meaningless and sloppy bowls with so many opt outs.
Oh gotcha. The 2 CFP bowls yesterday are the only bowls I have watched this year. So 11 good bowl games will be a nice increase over 3, for me.

With the NFL continuing to expand their dominance of holiday TV, the CFP will be the only games attracting any eyeballs other than from diehards of the teams playing in the exhibition bowls.

Reactions: DrEss
Oh gotcha. The 2 CFP bowls yesterday are the only bowls I have watched this year. So 11 good bowl games will be a nice increase over 3, for me.

With the NFL continuing to expand their dominance of holiday TV, the CFP will be the only games attracting any eyeballs other than from diehards of the teams playing in the exhibition bowls.
I predict that in a few years, the tournament will expand to 16 teams for two reasons:

1. The networks will demand it as viewership of the exhibition bowls continues to drop.
2. The top teams will demand it because it will prove to be a disadvantage for the two bye teams to wait 37 days between games, and then suddenly have to play a team that just had a game 7 days earlier and could iron out the kinks.

I think 12 is too many. Do we really want a team that's not even ranked in the top 10 battling for a national championship? and possibly winning because the best teams have players who don't want to play? I also think the basketball tourney has too many teams. the basketball tourney has basically eliminated the need for conferences. Nobody cares who wins the conference championships any more. it's all about the dance.

Just think if in basketball, the players decided i don't want to play because i may get injured and ruin my draft stock.

My other thought would be to just have conference champions. If you want to compete for a national championship, win your conference! If You can’t win your conference, you can’t compete for a national championship. As for nd, if you want to compete for an ncaa championship, join a conference! And for the sec also rans, if you get tired of finishing second, join a different conference! Liberty had no business playing in the bowl game they competed in, but they were a conference champion.

Reactions: z_one

Yeah at some point the meaningless bowls will not be profitable (not that they are that profitable anyway) and they will need to make a change because losing money is not sustainable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT