ADVERTISEMENT

6:1 Assist Ratio

Ya, PJ turned in yet another very solid performance vs. Nebraska:
6 points (4/4 from the line)
7 assists
2 rebounds
0 turnovers
1 foul

This guy is going to be our starting point guard next year. Not taking anything away from Carsen Edwards (who I'm sure has skills), but PJ has is really maturing into a productive point guard before our eyes.

Hard to keep him off the court. You really want to ball in his hands to facilitate. His defense is good. Overall he has improved leaps and bounds. And his vision is under estimated....

No way he doesn't start next year.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Love PJ, and agree it's hard to imagine not playing him major minutes as long as he keeps performing like he has been. But Carsen E. also seems to be the real deal & will compete PG minutes next year. Loving this year, but it will be interesting to see what kind of lineups we'll have next year. Default seems to be PJ, Dakota, Vince, Biggie, Isaac. But Isaac won't play even 30 min I don't think. I think Biggie will slide to the 5, Vince to the 4, and then Basil/Kendall/Ryan will come in to play the wing positions. Taylor will get some minutes at the 4 & maybe 5 because I don't think Biggie's going to play 40. I expect Painter to try for a grad transfer again next year as well - maybe a center - and that will affect Taylor's minutes. Also, in the time Eiffert has played I've been fairly impressed with his abilities as a walk-on - plausible to think even he could get some minutes, depending on the grad transfer wild card.

As long as he is willing to take what the defense is giving him, he has been very good this year. I felt there was a stretch where might have been so concerned with not turning the ball over that he wasn't being aggressive enough and it was hurting the offense. Especially with our post players, our guards/wings need to be aggressive when the defense ignores them even more so when you can knock down 3's at a 40% clip. In the past number of games, he's knocking down open shots and driving to the hole on occasion. He has improved tremendously from last year. If he continues to improve he can be our point guard for the next two years and maybe Carsen can play off the ball more and look to be more of a perimeter slasher/shooter/scorer that we need.

Hard to keep him off the court. You really want to ball in his hands to facilitate. His defense is good. Overall he has improved leaps and bounds. And his vision is under estimated....

No way he doesn't start next year.
I like PJ as much as anyone, but I don't think there is any way he starts over CE next year. PJ is a very nice player & has developed tremendously, but CE is going to be the best pg we have had since Kramer. PJ has a much better chance to start at the 2 if he continues to knock down the 3. PJ will play alot next year, don't get me wrong, especially since CMP likes having 2 pg's on the floor at the same time, but CE will be this teams pg. As well as PJ has played, it wouldn't surprise me if JH starts over him again this year. CE has that "it" factor that PJ doesn't.... much like Swanigan.

I like PJ as much as anyone, but I don't think there is any way he starts over CE next year. PJ is a very nice player & has developed tremendously, but CE is going to be the best pg we have had since Kramer. PJ has a much better chance to start at the 2 if he continues to knock down the 3. PJ will play alot next year, don't get me wrong, especially since CMP likes having 2 pg's on the floor at the same time, but CE will be this teams pg. As well as PJ has played, it wouldn't surprise me if JH starts over him again this year. CE has that "it" factor that PJ doesn't.... much like Swanigan.
I will admit you might be right, but I would be surprised. PJ brings a tremendous advantage to his team in his ball handling, shooting, and assists. Carson will be a freshman. I always think there is an adjustment period for freshmen that we often overlook. I will give you this: I hope Carson does start because that will mean he is one hell-of-a-player.

:cool:

What is everybody's view on a grad transfer next year? I like the team we have, and I feel bringing in another body will create more problems for minutes. We already have a junior red-shirting this year because of minutes. I feel like Biggie and Taylor can split the time at the 5 when Issac is out.

Last edited:
A junior PJ that can be depended on to protect the ball and can shoot 40% from 3 and make most of his free throws will trump a freshmen that's new to college and the BIG....at least in the beginning. Edwards is intriguing and a clear winner but we have seen this before...
CE will start & play alot much like Swanigan does & for the same reason... he has the ability to take over a game & PJ doesn't. He can do so many more things than PJ does. He also has the ability to create his own shot when the shot clock is winding down. Will he have his moments that makes CMP pull him & put in PJ.... yes, but he is going to see the majority of the minutes at the point.

What is everybody's view on a grad transfer next year? I like the team we have, and I feel bringing in another body will create more problems for minutes. We already have a junior red-shirting this year because of minutes. I feel like Biggie and Taylor and split the time at the 5 for when Issac is out.
If CMP finds a perfect fit that will not disrupt chemistry, I'm sure he will offer, but I don't think it will be a priority for next year. We have Basil, Taylor & Weatherford sitting on the bench that will all be getting minutes next year. If someone leaves, then things may change.

I'm pumping the brakes just a bit on expectations for Edwards' freshman season. I'm sure he will be very good in time, but to come in and start right away on a top 20ish team over an upper classman with starting experience is pretty lofty. Painter places high value on taking care of the ball and understanding/working within the system. PJ has an enormous head start and is still improving. I see Edwards being treated similar to Cline this year. Too valuable to red shirt, but too unproven to start. Like the freshman this year he will be given some minutes early on in the season and the length of his leash as the season unfolds will be determined by his decision making and productivity.

I will admit you might be right, but I would be surprised. PJ brings a tremendous advantage to his team in his ball handling, shooting, and assists. Carson will be a freshman. I always think there is an adjustment period for freshmen that we often overlook. I will give you this: I hope Carson does start because that will mean he is one hell-of-a-player.

:cool:
PJ is great & I really like him on this team. I think he is only going to get better, but he is not even the clear cut starter over Hill. Would it really surprise you if Hill starts the next game? They have been splitting time pretty evenly, because they both bring different things to the table. I do like PJ's ability to protect the ball, but I think your going to see that CE has a complete game that neither PJ or JH currently have.

I'm pumping the brakes just a bit on expectations for Edwards' freshman season. I'm sure he will be very good in time, but to come in and start right away on a top 20ish team over an upper classman with starting experience is pretty lofty. Painter places high value on taking care of the ball and understanding/working within the system. PJ has an enormous head start and is still improving. I see Edwards being treated similar to Cline this year. Too valuable to red shirt, but too unproven to start. Like the freshman this year he will be given some minutes early on in the season and the length of his leash as the season unfolds will be determined by his decision making and productivity.
Everybody said the same thing when Lew Jack came to Purdue, but CMP handed over the keys from day 1.

PJ has accepted his role and been great at it. We will still be big centric next year assuming IH, CS and VE are back, so he can still play this role. After IH is gone we may need a little more playmaking ability from the pg but right now, he's owning the spot. Plus, I'm not a super huge fan of freshman pg in CMPs system. It seems to be a difficult transition from high school/aau. this is not a knock on CE at all. love the pick up.

PJ has accepted his role and been great at it. We will still be big centric next year assuming IH, CS and VE are back, so he can still play this role. After IH is gone we may need a little more playmaking ability from the pg but right now, he's owning the spot. Plus, I'm not a super huge fan of freshman pg in CMPs system. It seems to be a difficult transition from high school/aau. this is not a knock on CE at all. love the pick up.
The one thing this team is missing right now is a playmaker. VE is great when he's cut into that role, but he doesn't always have the ball in his hands, where CE will. If CE has the ability to make a top 20 team a top 10 team next year, CMP would be crazy not to play him like CS does now. At the end of a game we are winning, will PJ be in to take care of the ball... probably, until CE shows that he's better.

At the current pace, we are going to have two players break the school record for assists to turnovers. Obviously PJ at 6:1 but Dakota is at 3.7:1 right now. I believe the current record is somewhere near 3.1:1.

Reactions: *4purdue*
he can be our point guard for the next two years and maybe Carsen can play off the ball more and look to be more of a perimeter slasher/shooter/scorer that we need.
A soon as Carsen proves he can match up defensively with BIG 2 guards, that will be a game closing lineup (Biggie, Vince, Dakota/Kendal/Ryan, Carsen, PJ). Also good when pressed. If we need larger, we got that.

We'll see about PJ and Carsen next year.

I'll just say I'm totally comfortable with PJ starting.

Seriously guys pump the brakes on the CE bandwagon. He isn't going to take over the team like a Melo Tremble or that guy for O$U last year. He doesn't even play the point guard position all the time in high school or AAU AND Painter's motion offense at least takes a full year to grasp. Most of the time two full years. There will be a big learning curve for him imo.
But I am sure some posters will take what I said above as hate. Its not. Its being honest and realistic. I think he will be a great player. Maybe a 1st team BIG player by his junior year. But I just don't see him coming in an being a rock for 4 years at PG. PJ should be the starter next year.

OT: Who else wants to see more of that sweet high pick-n-roll action with AJ and PJ? I would love to see that mixed in more than it is now.

We'll see about PJ and Carsen next year.

I'll just say I'm totally comfortable with PJ starting.
I'm not touting Carsen at the 2 often, just situationally like when we have seen Hill and PJ together this year. Agree the ball should be in PJs hands.

Lewjack had his share of struggles early on. Then once he came on he hurt his foot.

Would have loved to had him injury free.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Love PJ, and agree it's hard to imagine not playing him major minutes as long as he keeps performing like he has been. But Carsen E. also seems to be the real deal & will compete PG minutes next year. Loving this year, but it will be interesting to see what kind of lineups we'll have next year. Default seems to be PJ, Dakota, Vince, Biggie, Isaac. But Isaac won't play even 30 min I don't think. I think Biggie will slide to the 5, Vince to the 4, and then Basil/Kendall/Ryan will come in to play the wing positions. Taylor will get some minutes at the 4 & maybe 5 because I don't think Biggie's going to play 40. I expect Painter to try for a grad transfer again next year as well - maybe a center - and that will affect Taylor's minutes. Also, in the time Eiffert has played I've been fairly impressed with his abilities as a walk-on - plausible to think even he could get some minutes, depending on the grad transfer wild card.
Eifert won't play any minutes outside of mop up time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT