ADVERTISEMENT

4 games in.

z_one

True Freshman
Dec 27, 2007
I thought I would give some time to see if things improved before commenting. I'm sure some are licking their chops to give me hell because I supported giving Walters a chance. Well we have given him a chance and the product on the field looks terrible. I was shocked at the results of the ND game and overall have nothing good to say about what I have seen. Walters deserved to have us see what he could do. We went away from a tried and true formula when we did not bring in an experienced coach and staff. I understand why Bobinski moved as fast as he did with the cards he had been dealt. It was dumped in his lap as the calendar ran out and he thought he was getting a star in the making. Obviously trying to save the fall and spring portal timeframes and a poor recruiting class were not worth hiring an inexperienced head coach for a Big Ten team. Fire away.

Reactions: Bippus33
I thought I would give some time to see if things improved before commenting. I'm sure some are licking their chops to give me hell because I supported giving Walters a chance. Well we have given him a chance and the product on the field looks terrible. I was shocked at the results of the ND game and overall have nothing good to say about what I have seen. Walters deserved to have us see what he could do. We went away from a tried and true formula when we did not bring in an experienced coach and staff. I understand why Bobinski moved as fast as he did with the cards he had been dealt. It was dumped in his lap as the calendar ran out and he thought he was getting a star in the making. Obviously trying to save the fall and spring portal timeframes and a poor recruiting class were not worth hiring an inexperienced head coach for a Big Ten team. Fire away.
I am just going to say Bobinski had plenty of time. We all knew Brohm was leaving.

Brohm literally almost left after what his first or 2nd year at Purdue for louisville?

Every off-season there was a rumor of him going somewhere and he was never one to just squash those rumors. Then in the summer before his last year here, he pretty much said he'd be back at Louisville while he was giving a speech.

It was obvious once the Louisville job opened up he was gone.

Brohm literally almost left after what his first or 2nd year at Purdue for louisville?

Every off-season there was a rumor of him going somewhere and he was never one to just squash those rumors. Then in the summer before his last year here, he pretty much said he'd be back at Louisville while he was giving a speech.

It was obvious once the Louisville job opened up he was gone.
This isn’t true. He came out pretty quick the first time and said he was staying. Got a hefty pay day as a reward too.

Sad that people try to peg our current situation on a coach who’s now 22 months removed.

This isn’t true. He came out pretty quick the first time and said he was staying. Got a hefty pay day as a reward too.

Sad that people try to peg our current situation on a coach who’s now 22 months removed.
No one is blaming Brohm now. Bobo knew Brohm would be leaving or is dumber than a box of rocks. As ImromBurgandy said Brohm was shopping for several years for a better job in his opinion.

Well I was at the BT championship game and I didn't know he was leaving and neither did anyone around me.
Zone, the writing was on the wall at the end of the 2021 season. Especially with lack luster recruiting classes and a summer of 2022 Cardinal Club hobknobing.
Helen Keller could see it coming for God's sake!!!

Zone, the writing was on the wall at the end of the 2021 season. Especially with lack luster recruiting classes and a summer of 2022 Cardinal Club hobknobing.
It’s certainly true that he was going to leave. Not sure anyone knew what year it was going to be for certain.
I was fooled not thinking he would leave when he did. Maybe I wasn’t alone.

Reactions: z_one
I just hope that Purdue has started putting feelers out there for a new coach. Walters is over his head right now. Harrell's firing was just done to take some of the heat off of him.

Two things that haven't changed with Harrell's firing, it does not make our schedule any easier and we have limited talent on this roster to compete in the BT right now.

Reactions: Boiler8285
We all knew Brohm would probably take the Louisville job if it opened up again. A good AD would be prepared even if he doesn't suspect the coach is leaving. Bobinski had every reason to suspect Brohm might go. He either wasn't ready, used bad judgment in selecting someone with no head coaching experience or, perhaps worse yet, delegating the duty to hire the next coach to someone else. It is literally the single most important decision an AD has to make at this level.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

I think you're remembering differently. He met with the AD

Which part?

Well I was at the BT championship game and I didn't know he was leaving and neither did anyone around me.
Brohm basically said he would be coming back to Louisville in the summer of ‘22. Then when the team quit on Petrino that season, it was a done deal.

The only hesitation was if Satterfield had done enough to keep his job at Louisville. They did not fire him but when Fickle left UC for Wisconsin and they offered him the job he ended up taking it, probably knowing his job security at Louisville was very shaky at best.

So anyway, Satterfield was on the hot seat and everyone knew it. Brohm had his eye on the job and everyone knew it. His dad wanted him back there. His brothers wanted to go back there. I believe his wife wanted to go back there. He had hinted at it at some sort of Louisville function the summer before.

The only question was would the job be open. After fighting for his job all season, Satterfield had Louisville in a bowl game and I didn't think Louisville was going to fire him and we might be able to keep Brohm another year. But then Satterfield jumped at the UC opportunity when it to be and the final domino fell.

So, it was not exactly a secret that he had his eye on that job if he ever got another shot at it. It was also obvious Satterfield was on the hot seat. Bobinski had to be aware of the possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejs1111 and z_one
We all knew Brohm would probably take the Louisville job if it opened up again. A good AD would be prepared even if he doesn't suspect the coach is leaving. Bobinski had every reason to suspect Brohm might go. He either wasn't ready, used bad judgment in selecting someone with no head coaching experience or, perhaps worse yet, delegating the duty to hire the next coach to someone else. It is literally the single most important decision an AD has to make at this level.
I tend to agree with what you are saying here. The timing of Coach Brohm leaving it seemed to catch Bobinski flat footed. It is understandable that Brohm felt that was the best time for him to leave and obviously it was for him. When Satterfield left Bobinski's antennae should have gone up. However, none of us know what discussions had already taken place by the time Brohm left, but there wasn't much time between the BT championship and Brohm's announcement he was leaving.

Tell that to Bobinski. He obviously thought different or he would have made a move sooner. Maybe he did and we don't know about it. He wouldn't want to say too much as the team was preparing for the BT championship. No one was sitting in the stands and saying "did you know Brohm was leaving?" It was a non topic. So even though we knew that Brohm coveted the UL job and felt that someday he would be going back, no one knew when it was going to happen until it did. When I heard that Satterfield was leaving, then I was worried Brohm would leave. Purdue played Michigan for the Big Ten Championship on December 3rd. Satterfield was announced head coach at Cincinnatti on December 5th. Brohm was named head coach at Louisville on December 8th. So if you saw that coming in that timeframe, you are some kind of seer. I do agree with you and others that it always seemed like we were on borrowed time with Brohm. UL was always on his mind.

Last edited:
Tell that to Bobinski. He obviously thought different or he would have made a move sooner. Maybe he did and we don't know about it. He wouldn't want to say too much as the team was preparing for the BT championship. No one was sitting in the stands and saying "did you know Brohm was leaving?" It was a non topic. So even though we knew that Brohm coveted the UL job and felt that someday he would be going back, no one knew when it was going to happen until it did. When I heard that Satterfield was leaving, then I was worried Brohm would leave. Purdue played Michigan for the Big Ten Championship on December 3rd. Satterfield was announced head coach at Cincinnatti on December 5th. Brohm was named head coach at Louisville on December 8th. So if you saw that coming in that timeframe, you are some kind of seer. I do agree with you and others that it always seemed like we were on borrowed time with Brohm. UL was always on his mind.
Come on are you that naive ? Bobo should have had a good list of potential coaches since Brohm had been looking for years starting with Tennessee. He has no excuses.

I’ve been on on3 but let my sub lapse because it’s just so bad over there.

I guess I wonder why people are surprised.

Knowing what’s come to light (a lot more behind the scenes stuff there):

I blame Bobinski for making this hire and not requiring certain things. You can hire a 35 year old with no HC experience. You can’t do it without requiring him to have some old former HCs around and without having at least coaches who have called an offense around.

I blame Walters for trusting a very bad OC. If Gary nord was our OC, Purdue is probably 6-7 last year and 2-3 this year.

Separate that I’m not sure what people were expecting

> Brohm stopped recruiting. The 5th year, senior and junior classes have 6 high school recruits we are playing well. And very few players have gotten worse under Walters in terms of grades. There just wasn’t anything there to begin with

> to this people say “it’s the portal era, you can fix things in one offseason.” I’d argue this actually works massively against Purdue.

Tom dienhart, like many, never wanted a defensive HC and almost doesn’t even hide how much he hated the hire.

Tom in the chat on Friday “there’s talent on this team” - as if to say “Purdue has talent, it’s Walters.”

Tom when pressed by Brian on the Saturday simulcast; Brian asking him “what transfers are actually good?”

“Pretty much just Reggie love.”

Purdue lost Nic Scourton cause someone stepped up and gave him about a million is the thought.

For 750k, I can go find you a player who would step in for Yanni or stevens in the oregon state game and run that option down and bury the pitch man out of bounds for a 3 yard loss.

Purdue isn’t spending that. They’re getting guys who, if they’ve ever graded well in p4, it’s been on minimal snaps.

Indiana has a RB who graded in the mid 70s for 3 straight years at wake forest on 350~ snaps a season. Probably only Jenkins, Mbow and Hartwig cost that much. None of the inbound guys. They have a g5 tackle who graded at 87 at Kent state last year. Purdue has never gotten a g5 transfer anywhere near that. Word is the IU AD was handed tens of millions for this. That’s Purdue fans saying that on on3.

Has Walters been good? Hell no. He’s on his way to getting fired.

But I’m not sure who this was going better for? And coaches who could have made it better likely never answered the call. They knew what was on the roster. You’re telling me that the brohm recruits who played a down for brohm who were either any good under brohm OR now are

Mockobee
Hartwig
Mbow
Klare
Jenkins
Scourton - departed

And really good coaches were going to come here when, in their minds, the nil commitment level is “it’s a basketball school.”

Purdue needs revenue sharing to get here. Now. Not tomorrow. I promise you that the names you think are coming this offseason aren’t.

Now, once you accept the following

On defense (the offensive disaster is on Walters for hiring a very bad OC), you were always waiting on true freshmen or true sophomores at the following positions

DT
DE
Fox
Cylinder
MLB
Star

Jenkins is back at rush end. They should have told him NO when he asked about MLB. Thienemann was at Stevens cylinder position this last game. Jefferson played well separate the stupid penalty.

Green was awful but the talent is there with he and brown.

Next year, if Walters gets next year, the idea is

to work in the following players or have them ready to start

DT Kennedy
DE Irving
MLB Marable
Star Beasley
Cyl Bradford

That was always going to be the beginning of this defense looking like Illinois.

“But the scheme is terrible, we should have played a 4-2-5”

Uh, Kane had one of the worst coverage grades in America in 2022. You’re telling me Stevens would have been a decent SS this year? Joe Anderson still can’t rush the passer. I’m not sure bear Bryant could get him to make plays.

I always expected at best 5-7 this year. If Walters doesn’t get to 4-8 he should be gone or have a white hot seat.

But the time between NIL mobilizing fully and revenue sharing was never going to be pretty here.

I’ve been on on3 but let my sub lapse because it’s just so bad over there.

I guess I wonder why people are surprised.

Knowing what’s come to light (a lot more behind the scenes stuff there):

I blame Bobinski for making this hire and not requiring certain things. You can hire a 35 year old with no HC experience. You can’t do it without requiring him to have some old former HCs around and without having at least coaches who have called an offense around.

I blame Walters for trusting a very bad OC. If Gary nord was our OC, Purdue is probably 6-7 last year and 2-3 this year.

Separate that I’m not sure what people were expecting

> Brohm stopped recruiting. The 5th year, senior and junior classes have 6 high school recruits we are playing well. And very few players have gotten worse under Walters in terms of grades. There just wasn’t anything there to begin with

> to this people say “it’s the portal era, you can fix things in one offseason.” I’d argue this actually works massively against Purdue.

Tom dienhart, like many, never wanted a defensive HC and almost doesn’t even hide how much he hated the hire.

Tom in the chat on Friday “there’s talent on this team” - as if to say “Purdue has talent, it’s Walters.”

Tom when pressed by Brian on the Saturday simulcast; Brian asking him “what transfers are actually good?”

“Pretty much just Reggie love.”

Purdue lost Nic Scourton cause someone stepped up and gave him about a million is the thought.

For 750k, I can go find you a player who would step in for Yanni or stevens in the oregon state game and run that option down and bury the pitch man out of bounds for a 3 yard loss.

Purdue isn’t spending that. They’re getting guys who, if they’ve ever graded well in p4, it’s been on minimal snaps.

Indiana has a RB who graded in the mid 70s for 3 straight years at wake forest on 350~ snaps a season. Probably only Jenkins, Mbow and Hartwig cost that much. None of the inbound guys. They have a g5 tackle who graded at 87 at Kent state last year. Purdue has never gotten a g5 transfer anywhere near that. Word is the IU AD was handed tens of millions for this. That’s Purdue fans saying that on on3.

Has Walters been good? Hell no. He’s on his way to getting fired.

But I’m not sure who this was going better for? And coaches who could have made it better likely never answered the call. They knew what was on the roster. You’re telling me that the brohm recruits who played a down for brohm who were either any good under brohm OR now are

Mockobee
Hartwig
Mbow
Klare
Jenkins
Scourton - departed

And really good coaches were going to come here when, in their minds, the nil commitment level is “it’s a basketball school.”

Purdue needs revenue sharing to get here. Now. Not tomorrow. I promise you that the names you think are coming this offseason aren’t.

Now, once you accept the following

On defense (the offensive disaster is on Walters for hiring a very bad OC), you were always waiting on true freshmen or true sophomores at the following positions

DT
DE
Fox
Cylinder
MLB
Star

Jenkins is back at rush end. They should have told him NO when he asked about MLB. Thienemann was at Stevens cylinder position this last game. Jefferson played well separate the stupid penalty.

Green was awful but the talent is there with he and brown.

Next year, if Walters gets next year, the idea is

to work in the following players or have them ready to start

DT Kennedy
DE Irving
MLB Marable
Star Beasley
Cyl Bradford

That was always going to be the beginning of this defense looking like Illinois.

“But the scheme is terrible, we should have played a 4-2-5”

Uh, Kane had one of the worst coverage grades in America in 2022. You’re telling me Stevens would have been a decent SS this year? Joe Anderson still can’t rush the passer. I’m not sure bear Bryant could get him to make plays.

I always expected at best 5-7 this year. If Walters doesn’t get to 4-8 he should be gone or have a white hot seat.

But the time between NIL mobilizing fully and revenue sharing was never going to be pretty here.
Walters needs to make better use of the talent he does have, before I grant him any excuses for NIL.

Reactions: pboiler18
Come on are you that naive ? Bobo should have had a good list of potential coaches since Brohm had been looking for years starting with Tennessee. He has no excuses.
I am not saying he shouldn't have had someone in the wings. I'm saying things moved super fast. Just look at the timeframe involved. If Satterfield hadn't left Brohm would have still been our coach until the UL job opened.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Who are you suggesting is worse than at previous schools or under previous coaches? The only one that jumps off the page from the brohm holdovers is Mockobee per pff.
The entire offense would look better with Brohm and whoever he would have brought in.

We can only hope the Ben Davis guy is some sort of Cinderella story at this point…

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
The entire offense would look better with Brohm and whoever he would have brought in.

We can only hope the Ben Davis guy is some sort of Cinderella story at this point…
Last year Burks, Sheffield and Yaseen were all better than 2022. Brohm had a QB who got private coaching that costs 10s of thousands a year throwing to chuck jones. That was what saved the offense.

Two things on brohm

He quit.. some of the stuff here is like how Alabama fans are about Bear Bryant, but if he quit and went to Arkansas.

In this coaching search I don’t think they would have gotten western Kentucky Jeff brohm. The time between NIL ramping up and revenue sharing was always going to be tough at Purdue

Of course the scheme is lacking. The schemer got fired. Brohm schemed very well. Walters may get fired strictly cause he trusted the wrong guy.

But if you look at the actual individual players, Mbow and Hartwig are grading right where they always have.

Take Moussa as an example. Grading higher than he did as a starter under brohm. Problem is under brohm he was 57.8.

Last year Burks, Sheffield and Yaseen were all better than 2022. Brohm had a QB who got private coaching that costs 10s of thousands a year throwing to chuck jones. That was what saved the offense.

Two things on brohm

He quit.. some of the stuff here is like how Alabama fans are about Bear Bryant, but if he quit and went to Arkansas.

In this coaching search I don’t think they would have gotten western Kentucky Jeff brohm. The time between NIL ramping up and revenue sharing was always going to be tough at Purdue

Of course the scheme is lacking. The schemer got fired. Brohm schemed very well. Walters may get fired strictly cause he trusted the wrong guy.

But if you look at the actual individual players, Mbow and Hartwig are grading right where they always have.

Take Moussa as an example. Grading higher than he did as a starter under brohm. Problem is under brohm he was 57.8.
OL should grade higher than they did 2 years ago…not that PFF knows how to grade them anyway…

Reactions: pboiler18
OL should grade higher than they did 2 years ago…not that PFF knows how to grade them anyway…
But I’ve asked what players got materially worse? According to pff only Mockobee has regressed under Walters.

But when the current 5th, senior and junior class have like 5 guys playing well, yeah even a good coach was going to struggle here. And no, Walters has not been good. He’s recruited well though, so it should be easier for the next guy IF he gets the financial backing he needs or revenue sharing kicks in

Pff to me is like this. Of course it’s not exact. But what do you think the chances are they have Moussa at 59.0 and he’s really will shields lol

But I’ve asked what players got materially worse? According to pff only Mockobee has regressed under Walters.

But when the current 5th, senior and junior class have like 5 guys playing well, yeah even a good coach was going to struggle here. And no, Walters has not been good. He’s recruited well though, so it should be easier for the next guy IF he gets the financial backing he needs or revenue sharing kicks in

Pff to me is like this. Of course it’s not exact. But what do you think the chances are they have Moussa at 59.0 and he’s really will shields lol
No college player should get worse. Even with bad coaching.

It’s just a fact that he didn’t recruit his last 3 classes here. Walters being bad doesn’t mean that much better coaches wouldn’t have struggled with him leaving Scourton, Jenkins and no one else who could play on the defense. Kane did okay because in Walters defense he could play more like a linebacker. His coverage grades were abysmal as a safety in 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT