ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Spring Portal Tracker

Lombard would be an excellent addition IMO. Under the radar for sure, but she is a stud defender and has proved to be a facilitator.

Would serve in a Jeanae Terry-type role.

Petree is a more athletic wing that would be a three and D player. Respectable shooting percentage (34%) from outside. Sixth-year vet as well, so she can be a good presence in the locker room.

I do agree that a proven scorer should be the top priority, however.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Lombard would be an excellent addition IMO. Under the radar for sure, but she is a stud defender and has proved to be a facilitator.

Petree is a more athletic wing that would be a three and D player. Respectable shooting percentage (34%) from outside. Sixth-year vet as well, so she can be a good presence in the locker room.

3 players - scorer, defensive wing facilitator (Lombard) - scoring post.

Petree doesn’t offer any of the other 2. If she wasn’t the sister of a former player would we even look twice at her? Things that make you go “Hmmm…”

Reactions: Gesysp

Heal, Lombard, Bass, if they want to bring in Petree as a 10 minute speciality player as well, that’s fine since it’s only 1 year. Carmin said as of now 4 ships are available, he expected 3 to be filled, if another player leaves bringing in 4 is fine.

I don't know. Do you really think we are looking at being a top 20 team in 1-2 years after many years of being mediocre at the most? Baby steps with improved chemistry, may be the best we can do for now. We have to be realistic on what we are and what we can get. Other than a weird thing that could happen with a specific recruit or transfer, we are third tier, and the attractiveness of Purdue is very marginal at most on the WBB matrix right now. Sorry, but judging if a player is good enough to come here now is in a dimension that may be of past arrogance, if you think about where we are now.

Reactions: MichaelRR
I dont really have a problem if they bring four in and Petree is in the group. I do think they need veteran leadership. But I sincerely hope these two this weekend arent the only additions, though they could contribute more than last years.

My biggest hope is that with basically four seniors who played close to 30 minutes leaving A. Reynolds, Jones and Swanson can enhance their numbers with more playing time. Again thats a hope not an expectation.

Last edited:
I don't know. Do you really think we are looking at being a top 20 team in 1-2 years after many years of being mediocre at the most? Baby steps with improved chemistry, may be the best we can do for now. We have to be realistic on what we are and what we can get. Other than a weird thing that could happen with a specific recruit or transfer, we are third tier, and the attractiveness of Purdue is very marginal at most on the WBB matrix right now. Sorry, but judging if a player is good enough to come here now is in a dimension that may be of past arrogance, if you think about where we are now.
I don't know about being a top 20 program in 2 years, but if we land the right pieces in this portal class, I believe we can compete for an ncaa tourney spot this upcoming season.

I think it's OK for us to voice our displeasure or concerns about certain talent we bring in. Everyone has a differing opinion, and maybe some still think we can land better transfers regardless of the past 10+ years of the program.

I think there's alot of great selling points for portal recruits to come here besides just being a part of a winning program. Bigger stage - good fan support - facilities - world class education etc. It's up to the coaches to get the kids on campus and I think alot of them will walk away pleasantly surprised with what Purdue has to offer.

Outside of Petree and Rikki Harris, I like the potential transfers we're going after.

Destini Lombard was a defensive player of the year in her conference. As Dub noted, she seems like a mini Terry in that she can do a little bit of everything and she is a better 3 point shooter than Terry. She looks pretty quick too.

Reagan Bass another visitor(next week), provides what we need, an experienced post who had great success in multiple years in the MAC.(wish she was a couple inches higher, but hey Terry was a phenomenal rebounder at 5'11 and Bass seems to be as well at 6'1).

Ashlyn Traylor Walker is supposedly on our radar. Her sister played here. 16ppg last year. I've watched a few of her highlights.. she does a good job of playing off of two feet, will drive it in, kick out. She has some craftiness when she's in the lane to make shots. Solid build that helps her in being a good rebounder at only 5'8. Her 3 point % isn't great. Overall I think she'd be a good addition as long as one of the other portal wing players we get can shoot it better.

So we'll see in the following weeks what happens but I'm optimistic, and when in doubt, just tell the portal players you get to go on a Europe tour this August!

Last edited:
Reactions: GemstateBoiler

We are a big ten program that’s a year off of a ncaa tournament birth. So yes, I am going to judge if a player that averaged 8 ppg at UTEP is good enough to help us compete with the likes of OSU, ucla, usc.

It’s this mentality that will keep us mediocre forever. Pure poison to any fan base.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Gesysp
We are a big ten program that’s a year off of a ncaa tournament birth. So yes, I am going to judge if a player that averaged 8 ppg at UTEP is good enough to help us compete with the likes of OSU, ucla, usc.

It’s this mentality that will keep us mediocre forever. Pure poison to any fan base.
And the mentality of the poisoned (as you put it) coaching staff is obviously in the same arena on what we can realistically get, since these two players coming here for visits are here for "official visits" per Dub. That means invited and I would assume with intent to sign them. Why aren't we getting many higher rated portals to come here for official visits? Maybe because we can't. Lombard is an interesting player and could be a good addition. These two players are what I would expect right now though. I'm pretty sure I've been in the fanbase longer than many since I graduated in 1980. I have watched and continuedly supported this once honored program while it has gone down to 3rd tier with scandals, little support from the administration, and odd decisions for years. I like the enthusiasm to bring it back to prominence, but I am skeptical it will happen very quickly. I do like a couple of the HS recruits we have coming in that may help us "inch" back. If Bass would come here that would be a better than expected pick-up. I am the first to admit when and if I am wrong, but I've seen this picture painted before by other wishful self-proclaimed artists.

And the mentality of the poisoned (as you put it) coaching staff is obviously in the same arena on what we can realistically get, since these two players coming here for visits are here for "official visits" per Dub. That means invited and I would assume with intent to sign them. Why aren't we getting many higher rated portals to come here for official visits? Maybe because we can't. Lombard is an interesting player and could be a good addition. These two players are what I would expect right now though. I'm pretty sure I've been in the fanbase longer than many since I graduated in 1980. I have watched and continuedly supported this once honored program while it has gone down to 3rd tier with scandals, little support from the administration, and odd decisions for years. I like the enthusiasm to bring it back to prominence, but I am skeptical it will happen very quickly. I do like a couple of the HS recruits we have coming in that may help us "inch" back. If Bass would come here that would be a better than expected pick-up. I am the first to admit when and if I am wrong, but I've seen this picture painted before by other wishful self-proclaimed artists.

We are going in year #4 for KG. How many more does it take? 4-5?

Reactions: SKYDOG
I'm probably alone in this, but I looked at 23-24' as season one of CKG. Maybe Season 1.5? What I mean is this was her first year with her own recruiting class and it was a big one(6 players, 5 if you don't want to include amiyah). This was her first year with two new assistants, not carryovers from Versyp's staff. It felt like a fresh reset. This is presumably the core pieces (players/coaches) for the next 3 seasons.

The first two years I viewed as CKG learning and growing on the job. Building a culture.

We all know it can take time to build a foundation and recruiting relationships.. I think we are finally at the point where CKG has had 3-4 years to build relationships with recruits and we can see its starting to pay off, at least with highly ranked in-state kids. The next step is branching out from the state from time to time to grab some highly ranked players. I think we may still be in the hunt for that bourrage girl out of Iowa. She was recently ranked #4 in the 25' class. She would certainly help accelerate our climb back to a top 20 program.

Now with that said, I think we're in the same mindset that we should be able to attract some quality portal targets. As I outlined above, outside of like 2 names, I'm encouraged by who the staff has on their radar.

Exactly, when do we as fans expect more? This is Purdue, they’ve won before, the mentality shouldn’t be if, should be when. There shouldn’t be it’s going to be tough to replace Terry questions, there’s a ton of better players, question is finding and getting them. Purdue’s offense was ridiculously bad, that mindset needs to change, it starts with better players. I got no problems with the 2 girls visiting if they’re 3-4 of the commits, better get a good top 2!

I would think we could attract much better players but maybe we don't have NIL money for Transfer players who are really good. I do like the forward from Akron(she is good) One of the guards would be OK. BUt, we need players who are game difference makers not just OK players.

Reactions: tomgloe and Gesysp

I know theyre in drastically different positions. But all the men got was Lance Jones who was not elite by any standard compared to others in the portal. He turned out to be pretty great.

I think its about finding the right pieces and not top level talent. Heck look at Haley vanlith at LSU. Great player who had a bad year by her standards after being the most sought after portal player last year that I can remember.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Exactly, when do we as fans expect more? This is Purdue, they’ve won before, the mentality shouldn’t be if, should be when. There shouldn’t be it’s going to be tough to replace Terry questions, there’s a ton of better players, question is finding and getting them. Purdue’s offense was ridiculously bad, that mindset needs to change, it starts with better players. I got no problems with the 2 girls visiting if they’re 3-4 of the commits, better get a good top 2!
You sound like an IU men's fan, and I do not mean that as a compliment. There are better players out there than Terry, but expecting a 3rd year head coach with no D1 experience before that, little administration support, and a mediocre three year record to bring them in with ease is delusional IMHO. Yes we are a Big Ten program, which means we are in the 5th best conference for women's basketball, and we are not even in the upper half of that. Purdue has squandered any name recognition it ever had, our head coach has no name recognition outside our fan base, and the fan support is really not that great compared to the programs we are aspiring to compete against.

I know theyre in drastically different positions. But all the men got was Lance Jones who was not elite by any standard compared to others in the portal. He turned out to be pretty great.

I think its about finding the right pieces and not top level talent. Heck look at Haley vanlith at LSU. Great player who had a bad year by her standards after being the most sought after portal player last year that I can remember.
It’s imperative to get quality individuals. Coachable, willing to work hard, team players. I never put too much stock in rankings. We all could site examples of highly ranked kids that peaked in high school and never transferred their skills to the college level. I think if CKG can work on the culture piece, building connections with hard working, unselfish players who enjoy the game and each other, then that’s when this program takes off. Basketball skills can always be taught, practiced and improved. But it’s very hard to teach a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and unselfishness. I think she focuses on that and builds on the core returning players who exhibit that right now and the program can turn around quicker than some may think.

It’s imperative to get quality individuals. Coachable, willing to work hard, team players. I never put too much stock in rankings. We all could site examples of highly ranked kids that peaked in high school and never transferred their skills to the college level. I think if CKG can work on the culture piece, building connections with hard working, unselfish players who enjoy the game and each other, then that’s when this program takes off. Basketball skills can always be taught, practiced and improved. But it’s very hard to teach a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and unselfishness. I think she focuses on that and builds on the core returning players who exhibit that right now and the program can turn around quicker than some may think.
The ranked kids are the ones that are going to be your instant contributors. But to get the kids that need to be taught up and develop them, you have to KEEP them. The more we go to the portal, the further down the bench we drive the freshmen and the more likely we are to continue to have a revolving door for a roster.

The ranked kids are the ones that are going to be your instant contributors. But to get the kids that need to be taught up and develop them, you have to KEEP them. The more we go to the portal, the further down the bench we drive the freshmen and the more likely we are to continue to have a revolving door for a roster.
Understand your concern about the portal. Unfortunately, Coaches like CKG who aren’t well established at this level, have to utilize it. Heck, even well established coaches have to use it. Ideally to that end, the portal forces current players to ensure they are giving their best and improving, as the constant threat of someone coming in to be recruited over you, doesn’t help the continuity in the program. I still see ranked players a bit differently. Some can contribute quicker than others, but rankings are so subjective. When many kids & families are paying these agencies to rank them, and promote them, the result are a lot of highly ranked athletes that don’t always evolve into what they were projected to be. I agree that to teach and develop players you have to be able to keep them. I think the key to keeping them is in the connection and relationship building piece.

Thought I’d share in here: I expect at least one commitment for Purdue out of this weekend’s visitors, with the Boilers having a strong shot to land both.

You sound like an IU men's fan, and I do not mean that as a compliment. There are better players out there than Terry, but expecting a 3rd year head coach with no D1 experience before that, little administration support, and a mediocre three year record to bring them in with ease is delusional IMHO. Yes we are a Big Ten program, which means we are in the 5th best conference for women's basketball, and we are not even in the upper half of that. Purdue has squandered any name recognition it ever had, our head coach has no name recognition outside our fan base, and the fan support is really not that great compared to the programs we are aspiring to compete against.
IU men just got an All Conference PAC 10 PG committed from the portal, I realize you don’t watch the men’s game but your comment is off a little. Look, if Purdue is destined to be a lower end program count me as disappointed, I expect more.

IU men just got an All Conference PAC 10 PG committed from the portal, I realize you don’t watch the men’s game but your comment is off a little. Look, if Purdue is destined to be a lower end program count me as disappointed, I expect more.
IU also has the highest NIL program in men's basketball and are buying players that don't give a rats ass about IU, just the money.

Understand your concern about the portal. Unfortunately, Coaches like CKG who aren’t well established at this level, have to utilize it. Heck, even well established coaches have to use it. Ideally to that end, the portal forces current players to ensure they are giving their best and improving, as the constant threat of someone coming in to be recruited over you, doesn’t help the continuity in the program. I still see ranked players a bit differently. Some can contribute quicker than others, but rankings are so subjective. When many kids & families are paying these agencies to rank them, and promote them, the result are a lot of highly ranked athletes that don’t always evolve into what they were projected to be. I agree that to teach and develop players you have to be able to keep them. I think the key to keeping them is in the connection and relationship building piece.
Interesting point about families paying recruiting agencies.. it kind of makes me wonder why ESPN rankings took Kira Reynolds off their top 60 board while another recruiting site (prospect nations) has her at #23. I think some of it has to do with what AAU events they go to, to be scouted. Everything I've seen from Kira screams top 30 talent, and that's probably underselling how good she really is.

Interesting point about families paying recruiting agencies.. it kind of makes me wonder why ESPN rankings took Kira Reynolds off their top 60 board while another recruiting site (prospect nations) has her at #23. I think some of it has to do with what AAU events they go to, to be scouted. Everything I've seen from Kira screams top 30 talent, and that's probably underselling how good she really is.
She is definitely in that top 30 range. Not enough resources at some places to have accurate rankings for women’s basketball, in my opinion.

Ashlyn Taylor-Walker committed to Stephen F. Austin earlier today, so there’s one name off the board for Purdue.

These scouts and services host tournaments, and if you pay to be in their tournament, you can receive various levels of exposure, based on what you pay. It’s why I’ve never put a whole lot of stock in them. Prospects Nations is paid to promote based on which AAU organizations help fund their tournaments. And what’s funny, if you do some digging, some of these basketball scouting services, are run by grown men who have zero experience with the game. It’s business opportunities for them. They know parents will pay high dollar to get their kid exposure. Granted, rankings serve some purpose, don’t get me wrong. But if we only look at rankings to determine if a kid is worth going after, then we will never evolve as a top tier program. Has to be more to a player than a paid for ranking. There’s plenty of kids who never paid a dime to be ranked, received a much lower ranking as a result, and have gone on to be phenomenal in college.

Michael, remember a month or two ago when after I said probably 3 portal players will be brought in and you said that’s not happening? Looks like it might be 4.

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
Michael, remember a month or two ago when after I said probably 3 portal players will be brought in and you said that’s not happening? Looks like it might be 4.
I think it’ll be at least three for certain. Some questions regarding the fourth spot, but still something Purdue is very interested in.

I think it’ll be at least three for certain. Some questions regarding the fourth spot, but still something Purdue is very interested in.
Like I thought would happen, as much as some might not like it you have to play the portal game now.

Like I thought would happen, as much as some might not like it you have to play the portal game now.
[/QUOTE
Would love Bass and a combo guard, any news on that girl you mentioned from Santa Clara? Those two with Lombard and Petree as a specialty player would be a nice group I think.

BREAKING: Purdue women’s basketball nets commitment from Stephen F. Austin transfer guard Destini Lombard.

Lombard was the WAC Defensive POY this season, and averaged 10.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 4.0 assists.

There are enough minutes in a game to play 8-10 players meaningful minutes (10 per game) and if half of those go to portal one year hired guns that is another year of not developing bench depth players and likely losing 2-4 more players to the portal ourselves next year/each year. To me it also feels like its delaying our progression into a top half program in the Big Ten. I feel like it locks us into a mid level Big Ten program without the ability to get better than that because we keep trading long term progression for one year players to try and stay in the 10 to play in level game of the NCAA.

Nice get, she should bring some much needed athleticism and experience to the team. It'll be interesting to see where she slots in. I haven't been able to see much but most of the clips were steals/breakaways and 3's. She has a knack for blocking shots too. She kind of feels like a mini Terry(with a better 3 pt shot) who will play the 2 guard most of the time. I still think we need a consistent shot maker at a wing position. Welcome to Purdue Destini!

There are enough minutes in a game to play 8-10 players meaningful minutes (10 per game) and if half of those go to portal one year hired guns that is another year of not developing bench depth players and likely losing 2-4 more players to the portal ourselves next year/each year. To me it also feels like its delaying our progression into a top half program in the Big Ten. I feel like it locks us into a mid level Big Ten program without the ability to get better than that because we keep trading long term progression for one year players to try and stay in the 10 to play in level game of the NCAA.
Fair point. I haven't followed the program closely since the latter Sharon Versyp teams, but I thought recruiting is one area where Katie Gearlds has been doing well.

Just make it a two for one special tonight. Any idea on how the bass visit went dub?

None of the ones theyre going after look like top tier talent. But the speed of everything makes me think they arent grasping at anything that moves and its more targeted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT