ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Season Success: B1G Style

Which B1G team had the most successful season?

• Illinois

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Iowa

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Michigan

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Purdue

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Ok we all know that the B1G was a disappointment again in the NCAA tourney. But what I want to know is which team had the most successful season overall.

What is more important- Wins? Conference championships? Tournament advancement?

Your nominees:

Illinois 23-10 (15-5) regular season co-champs, BTT quarterfinals, NCAAT 2nd round

Iowa 26-10 (12-8) BTT champs, NCAAT first round exit

Michigan 19-15 (11-9) BTT second round, NCAAT Sweet 16

Purdue 29-8 (14-6) BTT final, NCAAT Sweet 16

Wisconsin 25-8 (15-5) regular season co-champs, BTT quarterfinals, NCAAT 2nd round

You can pick up to 2 if you can’t decide.
Choose wisely…

Last edited:
Just to chum these waters a bit..

I chose Wisconsin. Illinois would be my #2 with Purdue as a close #3.

29 wins is great, but a BTRS championship trumps any number of out-of-conference wins. And a BTT championship is still a trophy but only somewhere between a Cheez-It trophy and Sweet 16 appearance in prestige IMO.

1. Wisconsin
2. Illinois
3. Purdue
4. Iowa
5. Michigan

I chose Iowa and Wisky. Neither was expected to be there, but both won championships.

But the real trophy goes to Indinia. Just ask them. They didn't finish last in the B1G and finally earned the opportunity to lose a non-NIT game in March. They may be the only B1G fanbase that wasn't disappointed.

• Haha
Reactions: FirstDownB
Iowa - didn’t see that coming after losing Garza and Wieskamp.

Wisconsin - Davis was a surprise.

I chose Iowa and Wisky. Neither was expected to be there, but both won championships.

But the real trophy goes to Indinia. Just ask them. They didn't finish last in the B1G and finally earned the opportunity to lose a non-NIT game in March. They may be the only B1G fanbase that wasn't disappointed.

Wisconsin. They exceeded expectations and won the conference title.
Co-champs, technically. And if it is all about the hardware, I am curious what you all think that Wisconsin accomplished that Illinois did not. Other than a couple cheap non-conference wins.

And if we are talking expectations, Wisconsin has 3 conference titles in the past 10 years. Illinois has 1.

Co-champs, technically. And if it is all about the hardware, I am curious what you all think that Wisconsin accomplished that Illinois did not. Other than a couple cheap non-conference wins.

And if we are talking expectations, Wisconsin has 3 conference titles in the past 10 years. Illinois has 1.
I mean, he clearly meant for this season. Purdue, Michigan and Illinois were clear favorites for the league title. Illinois also finished one game or less (thanks, Michigan…) from a title in 2020 and 2021, so they didn’t exactly come out of nowhere.

With that said, I personally considered last season a success as an Illini fan. Hadn’t hung a regular season banner since Dee Brown was on campus, and it was nice to get back to that! Sucks we lost in the Second Round, but a 4/5 is pretty much a pick ‘em, and Houston was just better than us … probably at least two spots underseeded, too.

I mean, he clearly meant for this season. Purdue, Michigan and Illinois were clear favorites for the league title. Illinois also finished one game or less (thanks, Michigan…) from a title in 2020 and 2021, so they didn’t exactly come out of nowhere.

With that said, I personally considered last season a success as an Illini fan. Hadn’t hung a regular season banner since Dee Brown was on campus, and it was nice to get back to that! Sucks we lost in the Second Round, but a 4/5 is pretty much a pick ‘em, and Houston was just better than us … probably at least two spots underseeded, too.
Yeah, I'm just thinking if I am a Wisconsin fan and used to winning regular season trophies, and we finish as co-champs because we lost to Nebraska AT HOME. Then lose first game in BTT. Then get knocked out in 2nd round.. those preseason predictions are a faded memory.

I agree it has to be Indinia. No other team had the success this year as the Loosiers. And just you wait until next year....Commercials galore advertising medical pot and cheap beer will bring untold success in Trailer City that will dim the memory of RMK.

I agree it has to be Indinia. No other team had the success this year as the Loosiers. And just you wait until next year....Commercials galore advertising medical pot and cheap beer will bring untold success in Trailer City that will dim the memory of RMK.
You seem upset. 🤣

You seem upset. 🤣
Not at all. I'm healthy, wealthy, and wise. And very happy to have the life I've been blessed with. Had a fantastic wife for 43 years, Two successful kids, grand kids that are both intelligent and athletic...the three eldest have all been on athletic scholarships, with the fourth looking at a D1 basketball career in two years. Ran the point this year as a soph, lead player on his AAU team, should be the lead player on his HS team next year.

Nice home paid for, don't finance anything, haven't borrowed a dime in 25 years. God's been good to me.

New C8 R Corvette, new Silverado coming next week...supposedly.

Nah, I have no reason to be upset.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Not at all. I'm healthy, wealthy, and wise. And very happy to have the life I've been blessed with. Had a fantastic wife for 43 years, Two successful kids, grand kids that are both intelligent and athletic...the three eldest have all been on athletic scholarships, with the fourth looking at a D1 basketball career in two years. Ran the point this year as a soph, lead player on his AAU team, should be the lead player on his HS team next year.

Nice home paid for, don't finance anything, haven't borrowed a dime in 25 years. God's been good to me.

New C8 R Corvette, new Silverado coming next week...supposedly.

Nah, I have no reason to be upset.
Much better-much to celebrate!

I personally like to base success off of talent and results. Sure Davis was a lottery pick, but after that Wisconsin had 3 good role players who could never carry a team on their own (Wahl, Davison, Hepburn) and then everyone else sucked. To me they hit their ceiling and couldn't have done any better. Iowa is a close second (B1G co champs > BTT Chams), then Illinois followed by Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT