ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting article

Turns out you were correct. Kind of surprised. Think Ivy could be a really good player. Now curious to see where the next scholarship goes. Wing or Big.

Why? Would you really want to be a college basketball player and have your mom around you every day? Sounds less than ideal to me. Plus Purdue seems to have jumped ND (that was clearly worse loss of the season)

Dickinson offered by Louisville yesterday and our buddy Twitter “Jake” with Cardinal ties was all over it. Maybe bring in Brohm now to help with the recruitment and nip that in the bud?

Reactions: ChuckJr
Dickinson offered by Louisville yesterday and our buddy Twitter “Jake” with Cardinal ties was all over it. Maybe bring in Brohm now to help with the recruitment and nip that in the bud?
Dickinson will be offered by a lot better teams than Louisville. The blue bloods will start offering soon.

Out of curiosity, why does it seem like we have recruiting momentum now?
I think CE put this team on the map. That is the momentum that we need to keep. He made everyone very good and he obviously was top notch in the tournament. That short stint had people talking and I like when people are talking positive about our program. That's momentum.....

I think CE put this team on the map. That is the momentum that we need to keep. He made everyone very good and he obviously was top notch in the tournament. That short stint had people talking and I like when people are talking positive about our program. That's momentum.....
The same thing was said about Biggie. It didn't lead to any big time recruits.

So far this cycle looks the same as every other year. Landing the big fish would show improvement in that area.

So far this cycle looks the same as every other year. Landing the big fish would show improvement in that area.
You asked why? And I gave you why. Does it equate to top shelf recruitment. Maybe or maybe not....but we have momentum. CE's momentum is a little different because we were a more run and gun type of team. When we had Biggie it was stagnant and slow. Most recruits like that type and I think possibly is the reason for the change in recruit we are targeting.

You asked why? And I gave you why. Does it equate to top shelf recruitment. Maybe or maybe not....but we have momentum. CE's momentum is a little different because we were a more run and gun type of team. When we had Biggie it was stagnant and slow. Most recruits like that type and I think possibly is the reason for the change in recruit we are targeting.
Imo, what you describe is not recruiting momentum. Imo, in order to have recruiting momentum, you have to land a big time recruit. That leads to other big time recruits.

Imo, what you describe is not recruiting momentum. Imo, in order to have recruiting momentum, you have to land a big time recruit. That leads to other big time recruits.
Ummm Ok? Not sure your point. Your program’s momentum should absolutely help in recruiting, no? And past failures has zero bearing on future recruiting success. We look to be in great shape with Dickinson in this class and Christie in the next one. We will never get every top 50 recruit we go after, but the more we are in the final mix in, we will get some of them. I’m sure of that. I predict we get one in the next two classes.

What I'm saying is what you see and what we do create recruit
Ummm Ok? Not sure your point. Your program’s momentum should absolutely help in recruiting, no? And past failures has zero bearing on future recruiting success. We look to be in great shape with Dickinson in this class and Christie in the next one. We will never get every top 50 recruit we go after, but the more we are in the final mix in, we will get some of them. I’m sure of that. I predict we get one in the next two classes.
Agree, the 2020 class should show some bump because the 2019 was essentially done. Momentum swings all the time and right now it is on our side.

A program's momentum should help in recruiting, you are correct. We have not seen that to this point. It's a pretty bold statement to predict a top 50 recruit in two consecutive classes after we have only landed 1 since the 2007 class.

We did land a big time recruit in Biggie. We showed an explosive offense this year and I think more recruits saw the potential in what we have to offer. 2020 class will be telling or CMP gives 2 sh*ts about a highly numbered recruit.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
A program's momentum should help in recruiting, you are correct. We have not seen that to this point. It's a pretty bold statement to predict a top 50 recruit in two consecutive classes after we have only landed 1 since the 2007 class.
Sorry. I said I think we will get one between the next two.

We may not have any 5 stars now but how can you not be happy with the classes from '17 and '18? Jelly, Wheeler, Tre, Hunter? Sasha? I'd say those recruiting results are proving to be impressive. And '19 offers some potential contributors also. Newman? Thompson? I say Btfu!

We could win, as Dakich has said, some press conferences or media hype with highly ranked recruits, but I prefer winning games. The classes, ranked retrospectively, have been fantastic over the past several years.

I want players:

1) Who fit well into Purdue/Painter culture
2) Who positively represent the university
3) Who take the scholastic portion of university life seriously
4) Who play with enthusiasm, skill, toughness, and sportsmanship
5) Who win games

According to these criteria, this program could hardly be in a better place.

We could win, as Dakich has said, some press conferences or media hype with highly ranked recruits, but I prefer winning games. The classes, ranked retrospectively, have been fantastic over the past several years.

I want players:

5) Who win games

I’ll add:

6) preferably stay more than one year.

Painter is getting the guys on his "A" list. We didn't see much of that in the past. That shows momentum. He may not be getting the players that some of the fans want, but he is obviously getting the players that he wants.

I want players:

5) Who win games

How do you know who takes the scholastic portion seriously? By just staying eligible?
Let's be honest....These kids are here to play basketball. If they graduate, great. But we would all trade graduation rates for a Final Four any day.

How do you know who takes the scholastic portion seriously? By just staying eligible?
Let's be honest....These kids are here to play basketball. If they graduate, great. But we would all trade graduation rates for a Final Four any day.

You're on record as caring very little about graduation rates or scholastic achievement, and I completely disagree.

It's fine if you want to take that position, but don't speak for me when you make broad generalizations like "we all would trade graduation rates for a Final Four". I, for one, would not.

You're on record as caring very little about graduation rates or scholastic achievement, and I completely disagree.

It's fine if you want to take that position, but don't speak for me when you make broad generalizations like "we all would trade graduation rates for a Final Four". I, for one, would not.
Preach it. I agree. Let’s graduate our players and make the Final Four.

Painter is getting the guys on his "A" list. We didn't see much of that in the past. That shows momentum. He may not be getting the players that some of the fans want, but he is obviously getting the players that he wants.
He offers a lot of high profile players, so obviously he wants them.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
A tiny fraction have a future getting paid to play a game. An even smaller number of those who go pro make enough to not require a second career. They better take academics seriously.

Reactions: ejs1111

So does it bother you when a player like Glenn Robinson, Biggie or Carsen leave early and don't get their degree? Are you going to fault a kid for turning down millions to come back to school?
Without looking it up, do you know which school has the highest graduation rate in basketball in the B10? Know who has the lowest?
Know where Purdue is ranked in grad rates?
The reason you don't know these things is because in the grand scheme of things, they don't really matter in big boy college athletics. Coaches are paid to win and go deep into the tourney. Sure, there's a graduation rate clause in their contract and probably a few dollars tied to it, but it's well below the on-court performance clauses and incentives.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
A tiny fraction have a future getting paid to play a game. An even smaller number of those who go pro make enough to not require a second career. They better take academics seriously.
I don't disagree and I hope every Purdue player gets a degree. But, I'm also a realist and know that for a lot of these kids, athletics is their primary reason their in school. In fact, were it not for athletics, they wouldn't be at Purdue in the first place.
So, let's get off our high academic horse and quit acting like many of us really truly care about the academic side of B10 sports.

I don't disagree and I hope every Purdue player gets a degree. But, I'm also a realist and know that for a lot of these kids, athletics is their primary reason their in school. In fact, were it not for athletics, they wouldn't be at Purdue in the first place.
So, let's get off our high academic horse and quit acting like many of us really truly care about the academic side of B10 sports.
If you are right, and you may be, they are wasting a wonderful opportunity and it will hurt them later. For that reason I think we should stay in the saddle.:cool:

Reactions: sro73
I get your point, but it actually seems like most scholarship B1G players end up playing pro ball somewhere.

I get your point, but it actually seems like most scholarship B1G players end up playing pro ball somewhere.
I don’t know New Pal. Purdue has been a top 5 BIG team for the last several seasons and I don’t think half our guys have played any type of pro ball. I am guessing the further down the BIG rankings you go the lower the number becomes.
But even if my guesses are low the key is how many of them make a good enough living to not require a second career.
I think most of us would be shocked at how many NBA athletes can’t live off of just their NBA income later in life. Just my view.

I don’t know New Pal. Purdue has been a top 5 BIG team for the last several seasons and I don’t think half our guys have played any type of pro ball. I am guessing the further down the BIG rankings you go the lower the number becomes.
But even if my guesses are low the key is how many of them make a good enough living to not require a second career.
I think most of us would be shocked at how many NBA athletes can’t live off of just their NBA income later in life. Just my view.
Looks like everyone from our 2014-2017 classes will get to play pro ball somewhere, but most will probably have to eventually get a “real job”.
If I had a kid who was that level of player, I would advise them to major in finance, or at least take a few classes, so they have some idea how to handle their money.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Looks like everyone from our 2014-2017 classes will get to play pro ball somewhere, but most will probably have to eventually get a “real job”.
If I had a kid who was that level of player, I would advise them to major in finance, or at least take a few classes, so they have some idea how to handle their money.
That would make very good sense. I do have to admit that even a short pro career in Europe would allow a player to afford finishing school with ease. If they want it there is a way to get it.
Now I’m arguing against myself:confused:o_O

I have to believe that Painter being CoY and the great tourney run will impact recruiting positively.

Not close to the same thing...Purdue had a strong showing in the tournament, on the heels of a strong season...that gained national attention, and, the individual performances by CE and Cline during the tournament were noticed by many as well (nationally)...never mind things like offensive efficiency, defensive efficiency, pace of play, and, style of play...NONE of that was the case with Biggie (let alone that Biggie's career ended in a blowout loss at the hands of Kansas).

The forum down south has this Morton gentleman penciled in on their roster in 2 years. I have a feeling he’s leaning this way. For all you posters who was wishing CMP would latch onto a little CJB ‘s recruiting mojo, about a year ago, looks like you may be getting your wish. Salut.
Boiler Up!

A lot of people don’t know about ‘other pro— leagues’ because so many analysts just say player so-and-so can ‘play overseas’ if they don’t go to the NBA. It would be nice/helpful for Purdue to give updates/stories from time to time of the overseas players (and Ithee counties) where players are playing. It is probably pleasantly shocking how many guys have and are playing there and what they make, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT