ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting article

Seven in the top 50 nationally and one in the 50 - 100 range. Nothing super new.

Cryer, Love, Morton, Carlson (#70), Dickinson, Fletcher, Garcia, Loveday ... Hugley in 150 - 200

I would think it will be hard to get Dickinson considering their won't be very many minutes for him unless Haarms leaves early

I would be surprised if Haarms uses his fourth year of eligibility. He will be a big focus of the offense next year so his numbers will undoubtedly go up. If he even gets a sniff of the draft, I would think he goes being older than most in the draft.

It appears I have been doing a lot reading of J&C articles because I have reached my 3 article limit! Anything new/interesting or does it go more in depth about our offers (Cryer, Fletcher, Carlson, Dickinson, etc.)?
Download the IndyStar “IN Sports” app. Same articles. No fee.

Reactions: Schnelk
Haarms would most likely lose minutes to Dickinson. I think he’s that good and Haarms is simply a serviceable player.

OR Haarms plays the 4 and we have a monster lineup.

We need another prototype B10 Purdue Center like Dickinson but even so there’s very few that are ready as freshmen. Haarms is much more then serviceable but his jump as as junior is important. 20 lbs of muscle needed.

We need another prototype B10 Purdue Center like Dickinson but even so there’s very few that are ready as freshmen. Haarms is much more then serviceable but his jump as as junior is important. 20 lbs of muscle needed.
I think we may be talking about a different guy named Haarms...

If our freshman this year can contribute the way they did, I have no doubt that a top 25 player overall can figure it out.

Reactions: indyogb and DAG10
Haarms would most likely lose minutes to Dickinson. I think he’s that good and Haarms is simply a serviceable player.

If Haarms plays the 4 alongside Dickinson where does Tre go?

Haarms has a decent mid range shot and if he can develop a consistent 3, then NBA teams will grab him up and he will be gone end of next season.

Haarms has a decent mid range shot and if he can develop a consistent 3, then NBA teams will grab him up and he will be gone end of next season.
That's kind of what I was getting at with my original post. I think the only outcome here is Haarms losing minutes, expecially as Tre improves. Doesn't mean he won't play, but Haarm's potential 30 minutes per game could cut to 20. That's all.

Nojel has a better chance than Harms of going to the nba. I think you’re good there.
Both may have a better chance of sticking than Romeo...regardless, both have done more for their respective college program than arguably the biggest flop (maybe ever) of any high level recruit of either program.

Reactions: indyogb
I would think it will be hard to get Dickinson considering their won't be very many minutes for him unless Haarms leaves early

Don't agree with this at all. Dickinson would be a freshman when Haarms is a senior. That to me is a perfect transition unless Dickinson is good enough to be a one-and-done which I haven't heard. And if that's the case, I doubt CMP would be going after him this hard.

As much as it is nice to think of that possibility, the likelihood is remote at best.

Haarms' game just does not transition to the NBA...he is not a good defender on the floor away from the basket, he lacks strength (and is not physical) in the post, and, he does not have any sort of dominant offensive game.

Haarms is a really good college player, especially in the system that he is and at/for Purdue...but, in that he has not developed consistency at anything offensively in two-plus years on campus, it is hard to imagine him suddenly becoming an above average (or even average for that matter) shooter, never mind from behind the 3-point line.

Haarms' best attribute is his motor and passion, and, that he literally plays all out whenever he plays. If he has any ambition of playing in the NBA, long shot or not, he would have to become some sort of solid rebounder, show an ability to defend the high pick and roll, add weight/strength (and force), and, indeed show an ability to knock down a jump shot. Not impossible, but, a lot to get done, especially if some think he may consider leaving a year from now.

As much as it is nice to think of that possibility, the likelihood is remote at best.

Haarms' game just does not transition to the NBA...he is not a good defender on the floor away from the basket, he lacks strength (and is not physical) in the post, and, he does not have any sort of dominant offensive game.

Haarms is a really good college player, especially in the system that he is and at/for Purdue...but, in that he has not developed consistency at anything offensively in two-plus years on campus, it is hard to imagine him suddenly becoming an above average (or even average for that matter) shooter, never mind from behind the 3-point line.

Haarms' best attribute is his motor and passion, and, that he literally plays all out whenever he plays. If he has any ambition of playing in the NBA, long shot or not, he would have to become some sort of solid rebounder, show an ability to defend the high pick and roll, add weight/strength (and force), and, indeed show an ability to knock down a jump shot. Not impossible, but, a lot to get done, especially if some think he may consider leaving a year from now.
He’s a corner jump shot away from having a very nice NBA career. It’s absolutely possible he leaves after next year if he starts to show it more in games. If you watch him practice/warm up, the potential is definitely there. But I agree he’s got work to do.

He’s a corner jump shot away from having a very nice NBA career. It’s absolutely possible he leaves after next year if he starts to show it more in games. If you watch him practice/warm up, the potential is definitely there. But I agree he’s got work to do.
A corner jump shot (or any jump shot for that matter) would go a long way towards helping his cause, but, I think there is more than just that keeping him from playing in the NBA.

He is not above average in ANY facet of the game other than shot-blocking, and, even then, he leaves his guy or chases blocked shots, which will not work at the next level (and does not even work at this level a lot of the time).

He is a REALLY good college player, and, especially for Purdue...but, unless he can have some offensive skills that will translate to the next level, and, can add size, strength and force, he is going to be really hard pressed to play in the NBA.

Yep - There is simply no debate that Dickinson is the Anchor of this recruiting class ... he would make PU solid! Painter and Haarms both know that PU must always be recruiting over the existing players to make the leap that is being demanded. It's the way life in the top tiers. Every great program does it every single year. Given the Frosh/Senior timeline, it's not at all a bad thing for anyone.

Last edited:
Yep, they could each get about 27 minutes per game splitting two spots three ways, and there might be games were Tre, Dickinson, or Harms is in foul trouble. These problems usually work themselves out.
And they wouldn't have to back off when they pick up that second foul. There's someone who can step in if they go out.

Reactions: Schnelk
A corner jump shot (or any jump shot for that matter) would go a long way towards helping his cause, but, I think there is more than just that keeping him from playing in the NBA.

He is not above average in ANY facet of the game other than shot-blocking, and, even then, he leaves his guy or chases blocked shots, which will not work at the next level (and does not even work at this level a lot of the time).

He is a REALLY good college player, and, especially for Purdue...but, unless he can have some offensive skills that will translate to the next level, and, can add size, strength and force, he is going to be really hard pressed to play in the NBA.
Agree with your points. His best bet is a 3 and D player off the bench. I think that’s achievable but he has work to do.

Completely disagree 100%. If the tourney taught us anything, it’s that guards and wings are the difference-makers, not big, giant immobile centers.
I’d much rather have a 6’6-6’9 athlete who can shoot and create than a 6’11 275 plodder who just takes up space and can’t get up and down the floor.

Haarms is a really good college player, especially in the system that he is and at/for Purdue...but, in that he has not developed consistency at anything offensively in two-plus years on campus, it is hard to imagine him suddenly becoming an above average (or even average for that matter) shooter, never mind from behind the 3-point line

Cuonzo Martin says “hi”

Completely disagree 100%. If the tourney taught us anything, it’s that guards and wings are the difference-makers, not big, giant immobile centers.
I’d much rather have a 6’6-6’9 athlete who can shoot and create than a 6’11 275 plodder who just takes up space and can’t get up and down the floor.

We have those too. Dickinson is no plodder.

Reactions: GregJM24

Guards win games, Centers keep you in them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT