ADVERTISEMENT

18'-19' Big Ten Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to choose to ignore the "money" comment because it's childish and not worth arguing about.

Beyond that, are you saying that there shouldn't be two good players on the same team or there will be problems? I agree that having two selfish players is a problem....unfortunately for you, neither of those guys are selfish. Morgan was the only player on last season's team who was a consistent scorer, so yeah, he got a lot of touches. It would be stupid not to give him those, since no one else could put the ball in the basket. But that's not who he is, he's not the type to demand the ball and be selfish. He had to grow into the role of main scorer because the team needed it. It wasn't an easy transition and he started off the season slowly because it's not his natural tendency. I'm sure he will welcome another scorer on the team to take some weight off his shoulders. I'm sure Romeo will appreciate it too, considering he was relied upon HEAVILY on his high school team to do it all.

But once the season starts and you see selfishness between Romeo and Juwan and them having issues being ball hogs, you come back and let me know.

You really are an annoying poster who just spews crap to cause an uproar, even though you have nothing to base it on and lack the intelligence or tact to say something more logical.
First of all, Romeo did have a great nucleus around him...guys who shared the ball and who could score. Now go back to Trailer City.

You seem to have followed Romeo’s high school career pretty closely...hmmm...
One of the greatest high school players ever to come out of Indiana? Yea, I've followed him. As I do with any major talent in the state regardless of who is recruiting them.

One of the greatest high school players ever to come out of Indiana? Yea, I've followed him. As I do with any major talent in the state regardless of who is recruiting them.
That’s high praise but does he make the Top 10?

First of all, Romeo did have a great nucleus around him...guys who shared the ball and who could score. Now go back to Trailer City.

Sure, his team wasn't horrible. He had more than Phinisee did around him. But he still carried a heavy scoring load. And it wasn't because he forced himself into it by being a ball hog, it was because the team needed it.

Why are you always resorting to stereotypes that degrade people? That's pretty childish. Believe it or not, I'm from northern Indiana, Fort Wayne to be exact, and I have a Purdue Engineering degree. I respect Purdue's Engineering school, it got me a great job. However, I've grown up a Hoosier fan my whole life and that wasn't going to change based on what college I attended. What I don't respect is saying things like "Trailer City", no matter who you are inferring it about. You don't know the background and life events that put some people in that situation, and it's pretty sad to say stuff like that just to make yourself feel better than others. Grow up.

This topic has already been discussed. I would say yes. Some others wouldn't.
Wow, I can’t wait to see this kid play. Who would you drop out of the top 10 from the list in your head before you knew about Romeo?

Wow, I can’t wait to see this kid play. Who would you drop out of the top 10 from the list in your head before you knew about Romeo?
I'm talking about players as they were in high school. I'm 25, so I don't have a plethora of high school basketball history to go on. What I do know is that Romeo finished top 4 in scoring, and lead his team to a State Championship.

I believe he is the best high schooler from Indiana that I can remember. Eric Gordon, Greg Oden(remember high school only), and Josh McRoberts are up there as well.

As I'm from New Castle though, I'll throw Alford and Benson in as well:).

I'm talking about players as they were in high school. I'm 25, so I don't have a plethora of high school basketball history to go on. What I do know is that Romeo finished top 4 in scoring, and lead his team to a State Championship.

I believe he is the best high schooler from Indiana that I can remember. Eric Gordon, Greg Oden(remember high school only), and Josh McRoberts are up there as well.

As I'm from New Castle though, I'll throw Alford and Benson in as well:).

Oh, I see.

Reactions: Schnelk
I wonder if he would throw in GRob as well. Of course, he didn't play at IU so...……………….
I took a look at the top 100 according to ESPN and I had to go into the 30’s to DeShaun Thomas to find a player who has played in the last 20 years. Perhaps this is the issue. There haven’t been any great players in the last 20 years, so perhaps according to that agenda, he is correct.
I wouldn’t use words like, “all time” and “ever” to describe it however.
He may be THE best of all time. Seems IU fans believe that. I truly can’t wait to see.

I took a look at the top 100 according to ESPN and I had to go into the 30’s to DeShaun Thomas to find a player who has played in the last 20 years. Perhaps this is the issue. There haven’t been any great players in the last 20 years, so perhaps according to that agenda, he is correct.
He may be THE best of all time. Seems IU fans believe that. I truly can’t wait to see.

I'm not going to hold my breath LOL. I'm sure Romeo is a tremendous player. If he exceeds Gordon, I'll be shocked. Gordon was flat out a baller. But these one and doners come and go so quickly...…...not my cup of tea. Like you said, it will be exciting to watch......

You looked up the top 20 in the ESPN top 100 and the first player you saw was Thomas at 30?

... what about... Biggie...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
  1. Meetchicken....Beilein is the best coach in the league
  2. MSU...Izzo loaded it up again and if the trail doesn't come to his door, they should be really good
  3. Purdue...Should be a great back court and I disagree that the bench will be weak Need someone in the paint to step up. Going to be interesting to see if Eastern can live up to his hype and I'm really anxious to see if Painter puts him on Langford.
  4. OSU....Holtmann has had a good recruiting experience this and last year, and he may be right behind Beilein as the best coach in the league
  5. Illinois...Underwood has loaded the Illini with talenrt, and we know he's a very good coach
  6. IU...Loaded with talent just as they were last year, but Langford might bring them to the top half of the league. Morgan may well be the man this year in Trailer City....Jury on Lil' Arch is still out.
  7. Wisky...Gard has everyone healthy this year and with Happ returning, they could finish much higher.
  8. Nebraska....Everyone one's back
  9. Penn State...Chambers has the Nit's headed in the right direction
  10. Maryland...Some great recruits this year and Turgeon is on a bit of a hot seat
  11. Iowa...Fran should just bend over now
  12. Northwestern...Going to be an interesting season for the Cat's.
  13. Rutgers...'nuff said.
  14. Minnesota...Slick's baby boy may not last the season.

Honest question: Is there that much hype around Eastern outside of message boards? I think he can be a solid player and certainly grow from last year (and I think he'll be a solid defensive player for us), but people seem to think he's going to explode into being an All-American next year. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of hype - maybe it's just meant he'll be a good starter.

We spent all year last year talking about how experience matters - next year, we have very little. I still think there's going to be some growing pains - and that includes Carsen. He's going to have the defensive gameplans centered around him, which he didn't have last year, and that will make things a lot different. He'll need his teammates to step up and provide offensive help for him to be an efficient guy for us next year (see Oklahoma last year if you rely on one guy to score).

That being said, I think the Big Ten will have more decent teams than they had last year. But I don't think there will necessarily be dominant teams. This past year, there were a few top teams, then it trailed off. This year, it seems as if there will be more decent teams, just not necessarily top 10 teams.

I also don't know if I agree with the Michigan hype - they lived and died with Wagner last year. They had some pretty unimpressive games when he was a no-show and they lose Rahkman and Duncan (6th man of the year). The Final Four run was a bit misleading (and also on Wagner's back) as their path was rather weak. I do think they'll be good - not sure they hit #1.

If Michigan State played with more passion, I think they'd be a lot better - but I've said that a few years now. Maybe less hype players is more for them - if they play hard and play together, they could be very good.

I think you have OSU underrated - and quite frankly, I think IU will be better than 6th. And Minnesota will not be last place - they should be pretty good next year barring injuries again.

Reactions: BCBtrio
Yea, NE could be real good. Lot of people sleeping on them.

Purdue could be great. We know they have some great pieces surrounded by the likely B1G player of the year CE.

But their is a possibility they could be terrible, we don't know how the new and unproven kids will be able to execute the traditional defensive concepts, along with the new offensive concepts Purdue will put in?? Alot of questions remain unanswered with these new and unproven guys. However, at least with Purdue, with CMP, has a solid proven coach and staff to work with them to fill in the answers....so I like their odds.

I don't doubt Purdue will be a much different team on March 1 than they are on December 1. The question is how much. I don't think Purdue starts the season in November as top 25 team - I think that ranking will be gone if they are preseason ranked. However, I think Purdue is going to be dangerous later on in the year. Obviously with Big Ten play starting early, we don't have a lot of room to grow and find out before the conference season. Not sure Purdue is in contention for the Big Ten, but I hope they avoid some of the tricky non-conference games and are in good position for an NCAA bid at the end of December because I think the Big Ten will be in a state that we can be successful, but it's more so about avoiding the hiccups/bad losses. No doubt in my mind that Purdue will get some good wins along the way.

I would love to see your list.
Care to share?

This is only high school performance?
Last 20 years top 10.

1. Oden
2. Romeo
3. Gordon
4. Mike Conley
5. Desean Thomas
6. Sean May
7. Josh McRoberts
8. Jared Jeffries
9. Cody Zeller
10. Biggie

You looked up the top 20 in the ESPN top 100 and the first player you saw was Thomas at 30?

... what about... Biggie...
Nope, no Biggie. I’m not sure he should be in the all time top 100 list. That’s how good these players you’ve never seen really were.
Thomas is the only player in their top 50 who played in the last 20 years. Jarred Jeffries is closest at 51 and then Jason Gardner at 62.

Nope, no Biggie. I’m not sure he should be in the all time top 100 list. That’s how good these players you’ve never seen really were.
Thomas is the only player in their top 50 who played in the last 20 years. Jarred Jeffries is closest at 51 and then Jason Gardner at 62.
Yeah, there’s Ofen and Conley. Missed those two.

Link the list you are talking about. Greg Oden was #1 ranked in his class. Gordon was top 5. McRoberts was top 5. Romeo is Top 5. Lyles is top 10.

I didn’t see see the Big O play, but I still understand why he was the best.
No Bird, Alford, Jay Edwards, Jimmy Rayl? Really?
You are being ignorant. Of course those guys were better than most of the guys on my list. Again, I was only going back the last twenty years, because that's the only experience I have.

I'm over this convo. Romeo is very good.

You are being ignorant. Of course those guys were better than most of the guys on my list. Again, I was only going back the last twenty years, because that's the only experience I have.

I'm over this convo. Romeo is very good.
Wow!
Couldn’t get in five posts without making it obvious, could you?

Honest question: Is there that much hype around Eastern outside of message boards? I think he can be a solid player and certainly grow from last year (and I think he'll be a solid defensive player for us), but people seem to think he's going to explode into being an All-American next year. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of hype - maybe it's just meant he'll be a good starter.

We spent all year last year talking about how experience matters - next year, we have very little. I still think there's going to be some growing pains - and that includes Carsen. He's going to have the defensive gameplans centered around him, which he didn't have last year, and that will make things a lot different. He'll need his teammates to step up and provide offensive help for him to be an efficient guy for us next year (see Oklahoma last year if you rely on one guy to score).

That being said, I think the Big Ten will have more decent teams than they had last year. But I don't think there will necessarily be dominant teams. This past year, there were a few top teams, then it trailed off. This year, it seems as if there will be more decent teams, just not necessarily top 10 teams.

I also don't know if I agree with the Michigan hype - they lived and died with Wagner last year. They had some pretty unimpressive games when he was a no-show and they lose Rahkman and Duncan (6th man of the year). The Final Four run was a bit misleading (and also on Wagner's back) as their path was rather weak. I do think they'll be good - not sure they hit #1.

If Michigan State played with more passion, I think they'd be a lot better - but I've said that a few years now. Maybe less hype players is more for them - if they play hard and play together, they could be very good.

I think you have OSU underrated - and quite frankly, I think IU will be better than 6th. And Minnesota will not be last place - they should be pretty good next year barring injuries again.
You seem to has some issues with my kid like he’s a bum or something like he just can’t play at this level when you absolutely have no clue who he is outside of the 2/4/6/8 min a game he barley played and bcuz others feel he may have a bigger impact on this talented team than you may think you down my son kinda strange to me your disbelief or utter dislike for my son but it’s ok he’s better than the 2/4/6/8 min he got play last season and he will be a game changer on this team that will be better than what many might think. So many doubters and haters his time is coming.

Ms. Reed, almost all of us here hope that you are correct. Nojel showed great promise last year on a senior-laden team. I, and many others, appreciated his play and development. We look forward to him taking a big step this upcoming year.

The B1G is going to be wide-open in 2018-19 in my opinion. At this time, I can see a wide range of outcomes for Purdue depending upon a lot of factors, including how many of the other conference teams develop. Injuries to any team are a significant wild-card and let's hope that Purdue avoids them.

Please keep in mind that even the skeptics would be happy to be proven wrong as the outcome for Purdue would be better than they expect.

Ms. Reed, almost all of us here hope that you are correct. Nojel showed great promise last year on a senior-laden team. I, and many others, appreciated his play and development. We look forward to him taking a big step this upcoming year.

The B1G is going to be wide-open in 2018-19 in my opinion. At this time, I can see a wide range of outcomes for Purdue depending upon a lot of factors, including how many of the other conference teams develop. Injuries to any team are a significant wild-card and let's hope that Purdue avoids them.

Please keep in mind that even the skeptics would be happy to be proven wrong as the outcome for Purdue would be better than they expect.
I am correct 25/30 min a game changes a lot of things. The grind hasn’t stopped since he’s been home getting better everyday

Reactions: tjreese
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT