ADVERTISEMENT

18'-19' Big Ten Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerIron

Sophomore
Apr 21, 2018
At the risk of being tar and feathered, I'm going to start this thread. What order do you predict for the top 8 (rank them all if you want) in the Big Ten next year?

*This assumes Tyler Cook and Happ are back*

Also, who makes 1st team All-Big Ten?

My rankings (*Takes deep breath*)

1. Michigan
2. MSU
3. IU
4. Purdue
5. Maryland
6. Nebraska
7. Iowa
8. Wiscy

1st team:

Carsen (PoY)
Ward
Happ
Romeo
Anthony Cowan

Thoughts?

At the risk of being tar and feathered, I'm going to start this thread. What order do you predict for the top 8 (rank them all if you want) in the Big Ten next year?

1. Michigan
2. MSU
3. IU
4. Purdue
5. Maryland
6. Nebraska
7. Iowa
8. Wiscy

1st team:

Carsen (PoY)
Ward
Happ
Romeo
Anthony Cowan

Thoughts?
1. MSU - Maybe Izzo gets his talent to play together better
2. Purdue - Best back court in the BIG + talent on the front line. Good coaching. Thin behind the starters
3. Michigan - Lots of talent and good coaching. Will not miss the departing MAAR & Wagner as much as we'd like.
4. IU - Morgan and Romeo show. Thin & young otherwise.
5. Nebraska - Finished 4th last year with everybody coming back. If Archie is not the real deal, I can see Nebraska nipping them for 4th.
6. Maryland - too much talent going to waste
7. Iowa - Got to put these clowns someplace, why not 7th?
8. Wiscy - Not enough horsepower to compete this year

The order of finish of the top 4 will be greatly determined by the unbalanced schedule. I did not take that into account in these predictions. The unbalanced schedule has influenced the order the previous 3-4 years allowing some teams to finish above/below where they would fall in a perfect world.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Why do we think MSU will finish top 2? Won't the loss of JJJ and Bridges hurt them quite a bit? I am thinking they finish 3 or 4.

Why do we think MSU will finish top 2? Won't the loss of JJJ and Bridges hurt them quite a bit? I am thinking they finish 3 or 4.
I'd like to think that would be the case. They have Ward & Tilman on the front line and a couple guards, Winston & ???, who are good enough to carry them through the BIG. I expect another early exit from the dance for MSU.

I know they lost JJJ, but I thought he was underutilized at MSU. He made a mistake going there, but those if/maybe's are had to argue.

1. Meetchicken....Beilein is the best coach in the league
  2. MSU...Izzo loaded it up again and if the trail doesn't come to his door, they should be really good
  3. Purdue...Should be a great back court and I disagree that the bench will be weak Need someone in the paint to step up. Going to be interesting to see if Eastern can live up to his hype and I'm really anxious to see if Painter puts him on Langford.
  4. OSU....Holtmann has had a good recruiting experience this and last year, and he may be right behind Beilein as the best coach in the league
  5. Illinois...Underwood has loaded the Illini with talenrt, and we know he's a very good coach
  6. IU...Loaded with talent just as they were last year, but Langford might bring them to the top half of the league. Morgan may well be the man this year in Trailer City....Jury on Lil' Arch is still out.
  7. Wisky...Gard has everyone healthy this year and with Happ returning, they could finish much higher.
  8. Nebraska....Everyone one's back
  9. Penn State...Chambers has the Nit's headed in the right direction
  10. Maryland...Some great recruits this year and Turgeon is on a bit of a hot seat
  11. Iowa...Fran should just bend over now
  12. Northwestern...Going to be an interesting season for the Cat's.
  13. Rutgers...'nuff said.
  14. Minnesota...Slick's baby boy may not last the season.

Last edited:
Seems like Penn State and Nebraska are a bit low. With so much returning its hard to not see them higher.

2. MSU...Izzo loaded it up again and if the trail doesn't come to his door, they should be really good
  3. Purdue...Should be a great back court and I disagree that the bench will be weak Need someone in the paint to step up. Going to be interesting to see if Eastern can live up to his hype and I'm really anxious to see if Painter puts him on Langford.
  4. OSU....Holtmann has had a good recruiting experience this and last year, and he may be right behind Beilein as the best coach in the league
  5. Illinois...Underwood has loaded the Illini with talenrt, and we know he's a very good coach
  6. IU...Loaded with talent just as they were last year, but Langford might bring them to the top half of the league. Morgan may well be the man this year in Trailer City....Jury on Lil' Arch is still out.
  7. Wisky...Gard has everyone healthy this year and with Happ returning, they could finish much higher.
  10. Maryland...Some great recruits this year and Turgeon is on a bit of a hot seat

You have Purdue and OSU too high. Lost too much to stay up top. Not sure why you have MD so low, they should be around 3rd-4th. IU is also too low. Finished 6th last yr with much less. Should be 2nd. Here's my list:

1) MSU
2) IU
3) Wisconsin
4) MD
5) Nebraska
6) Michigan
7) Purdue
8) Iowa
9) OSU
10) who cares

I like Michigan, Purdue, and Nebraska as much as any team in the conference. The numbers suggest all 3 teams will be very, very good defensively as they all return most of their best defenders from already good defensive teams.

Ohio State is being underrated.

Michigan State is way being overrated. Theyre more likely to miss the tournament altogether than they are to win the league. I always wonder if people realize theyre actually going to have to defend with 4 of their 5 starters being
Cassius Winston (terrible defender)
Josh Langford(Terrible defender)
Matt Mcquaid (Terrible defender)
Nick Ward (ok defender but is helpless when forced to defend ball screens)

Marylands got the best talent in the league but having faith in Turgeon is a risky proposition. I like their frosh though. Sticks Smith looks like a JJJ clone. Wiggins is getting hype and a potential darkhorse for frosh of the year. And Ayala's highlight tapes are reminiscent of Carsens the way he scores and can shoot off the dribble.

Everyone else seems like wildcards with a broad range of outcomes.

Iowa could be great or terrible.
Illinois could surprise and be good or terrible.
Indiana could be good, or they could go winless against tournament teams again.
Wisconsin could be good or could miss the tournament again.

And so on and so forth.

You have Purdue and OSU too high. Lost too much to stay up top. Not sure why you have MD so low, they should be around 3rd-4th. IU is also too low. Finished 6th last yr with much less. Should be 2nd. Here's my list:

1) MSU
2) IU
3) Wisconsin
4) MD
5) Nebraska
6) Michigan
7) Purdue
8) Iowa
9) OSU
10) who cares
No way IU finishes anywhere near 2nd, Wisky's too high as is Maryland. Michigan is loaded again, and with the return of Carson, PU is a top four team at the worst. You also have OSU way too low.

No way IU finishes anywhere near 2nd, Wisky's too high as is Maryland. Michigan is loaded again, and with the return of Carson, PU is a top four team at the worst. You also have OSU way too low.

I would be ok with moving Michigan up a spot or two. Maryland has a ton of talent so they belong up there somewhere, certainly not 10th.

Why should Ohio state be higher? They lost 3 of their top 4 offensive players, including their go-to star and also lost their best two defensive players. They bring in no impact players. They're going down a few spots.

Purdue isn't quite that bad but lost what, 4 seniors? 3 of their best 4 offensive players and 2 of their better defenders. Luckily they bring back Carsen but they're going to move down a few spots likely.

Indiana meanwhile brings in the best class, loses their 3 worst defenders and 2 of their worst offensive players. Statistically speaking they lost nothing and assuming Davis comes back they are significantly better than a team that was 6th. They also have a favorable schedule compared to others. 2nd? We will see.

Do you look at stats at all when basing your predictions?

This is the most wide open that I recall seeing the Big Ten look in the off-season. The drop off from the top of the league to the middle doesn’t look all that great to me.

1: MSU
2: UM
3: Maryland
4: Purdue
5: IU
6: Nebraska
7: PSU
8: Whisky
9: OSU
10: Iowa
11: Northwestern
12: Illinois
13: Minnesota
14: Rutgers

1st Team All B1G:
Carsen Edwards
Cassius Winston
Jujuan Morgan
Ethan Happ
Anthony Cowan Jr.

All Freshman Team:
Romeo Langford (IU)
Aaron Wheeler (Purdue) *total homer pick btw
Jaylen Smith (Maryland)
Brandon Johns (Michigan)
Ayo Dosunmu (Illinois)

Easily replace Smith with another one of Maryland’s top flight freshman coming in.

Last edited:
I would be ok with moving Michigan up a spot or two. Maryland has a ton of talent so they belong up there somewhere, certainly not 10th.

Why should Ohio state be higher? They lost 3 of their top 4 offensive players, including their go-to star and also lost their best two defensive players. They bring in no impact players. They're going down a few spots.

Purdue isn't quite that bad but lost what, 4 seniors? 3 of their best 4 offensive players and 2 of their better defenders. Luckily they bring back Carsen but they're going to move down a few spots likely.

Indiana meanwhile brings in the best class, loses their 3 worst defenders and 2 of their worst offensive players. Statistically speaking they lost nothing and assuming Davis comes back they are significantly better than a team that was 6th. They also have a favorable schedule compared to others. 2nd? We will see.

Do you look at stats at all when basing your predictions?
Yep....I look at what's gone and what's coming in along with what the team did prior. I also look at the coaching staff which is why I think OSU finishes higher than you believe.

As for the Boilers, folks are forgetting those guys who red-shirted last year and who learned a lot going against those scorers and defenders you mention are gone. And Painter has three pretty damned good players coming in this year, two of which may challenge for a starting spot.

I also think the league is a lot stronger this year with the only two Sisters of the Weak being Rutgers and Minny and maybe Iowa.. As for Maryland, Turgeon is so suspect that I can't put them any higher.

I think Nebraska, PSU, and Illinois are going to surprise a lot of folks. And you are right about IU...they probably got the best schedule anyone could hope for, which is why I put them where I did. They surely can't screw it up as bad as last year.

I wouldn't spend too much time refuting a 2-post troll. The fact that he puts IU so high is a dead give away.

Yep, IU brings back everybody, everybody that went 0-9 against the tourney teams. They add some freshmen and, OMG so scary, right? The fact is Illinois freshmen are probably more to be feared and their coach proven in BIG battle, unlike Li'l Archie.

I wouldn't spend too much time refuting a 2-post troll. The fact that he puts IU so high is a dead give away.

Yep, IU brings back everybody, everybody that went 0-9 against the tourney teams. They add some freshmen and, OMG so scary, right? The fact is Illinois freshmen are probably more to be feared and their coach proven in BIG battle, unlike Li'l Archie.

Brad Underwood proved himself "in B1G battle" during a 4-14 season? That's a nice softball you lobbed up to the plate.

Brad Underwood proved himself "in B1G battle" during a 4-14 season? That's a nice softball you lobbed up to the plate.
You're a middle of the pack team and not all that good. You added one star that will be out for himself and gone in a year.

There is nothing on iu's team that currently suggests you will do much better than last year. You still won't play any type of defense and teams will score at will against you.

You'll be better than last season sure, but you will still suck. That is the reality for you.

Reactions: Schnelk
So riled.

That's all fine and good. Let's say I agree with everything you said. What's it have anything to do with my comment?

You are trolling, right?...

B1G was down last year - true.

Illinois 4-14 in that down B1G = “We all know Underwood is a good coach.” “Their coach (is) proven in B1G battle.”

IU 9-9 in the B1G = Archie did about as good as he’s gonna do.

FWIW, I could absolutely see IU finishing in the 4-6th range, but the love for Underwood and the Illini?!? They have absolutely NO front court and I find that truly ridiculous, not because of Underwood’s coaching, but because they just don’t have enough good players.

Reactions: doc2575

Illinois 4-14 in that down B1G = “We all know Underwood is a good coach.” “Their coach (is) proven in B1G battle.”

FWIW, I could absolutely see IU finishing in the 4-6th range, but the love for Underwood and the Illini?!? They have absolutely NO front court and I find that truly ridiculous, not because of Underwood’s coaching, but because they just don’t have enough good players.
Yea, the love for Illinois is what I don't understand. They were terrible last year, and then lost 5 of their top 8 players to graduation or transfer. They are bringing in one top 100 recruit this year with Ayo. I will be shocked if they don't finish in the bottom 4 again. They certainly won't be a top half of the big ten team.

Just wait: Combes will surely drop in soon and explain how the Illini will be better than both IU and Purdue, and how their recruiting is much better as well.

1- Purdue
2- Michigan
3- IU
4- MSU
5- Maryland
6- Nebraska
7- OSU
8- PSU
9- Rutgers
10- wisky
11- Illinois
12- Minnesota
13-Iowa
14- northwestern

Reactions: Boiler Buck
1. Michigan
2. Nebraska (bold prediction)
3. MSU
4. Penn State
5. Purdue
6. Maryland
7. Indiana
8. Wisconsin
9. Ohio State
10. Illinois
11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Northwestern

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
You're a middle of the pack team and not all that good. You added one star that will be out for himself and gone in a year.

There is nothing on iu's team that currently suggests you will do much better than last year. You still won't play any type of defense and teams will score at will against you.

You'll be better than last season sure, but you will still suck. That is the reality for you.
I think IU will be better talent wise this year, but for one year only. As much as IU fans hate UK, their coach and team is sure looking a lot like one and done's are going to be their fare. With Morgan going pro, and with Langford a one and done, there are not going to be enough basketballs in ASS Hall.

1. Michigan
3. MSU
4. Penn State
5. Purdue
6. Maryland
7. Indiana
8. Wisconsin
9. Ohio State
10. Illinois
11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Northwestern

I like the Nebraska pick and think most are sleeping on them. Palmer, Watson Jr, Copeland, and Roby are an impressive returning core.

Not as high on Penn St. Without Carr and Shep Garner in the backcourt I think they go back down to the cellar. Not sure Reeves is good enough to consistently carry that team next year.

That's why these preseason lists are fun though. We'll see what happens.

1. Michigan
3. MSU
4. Penn State
5. Purdue
6. Maryland
7. Indiana
8. Wisconsin
9. Ohio State
10. Illinois
11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Northwestern
I like this list. I also think Nebraska might be one of the better teams in the BIG. I don’t agree on Penn State. They have lost their very good backcourt, and those kinds of players take a while to replace. I would push PSU down below Wisconsin.

That puts Purdue in 4th place, which isn’t bad. I think we do better, but your prediction, with the small correct I suggest, is very reasonable.

I have no idea on the teams dueto scheduling and summer improvements, but do think you are right with this "Painter puts him Nojel on Langford"...unless a surprise happens... ;)

Reactions: BoilerIron
I like this list. I also think Nebraska might be one of the better teams in the BIG. I don’t agree on Penn State. They have lost their very good backcourt, and those kinds of players take a while to replace. I would push PSU down below Wisconsin.

That puts Purdue in 4th place, which isn’t bad. I think we do better, but your prediction, with the small correct I suggest, is very reasonable.
I based some of my picks off of their schedule. Penn State only plays IU and MSU once and it is at home. That will be a true test for a young IU team and MSU always has a brain fart like that on the road.

I have no idea on the teams dueto scheduling and summer improvements, but do think you are right with this "Painter puts him Nojel on Langford"...unless a surprise happens... ;)
I think that will be the case as well. Carsen can easily guard Green/RP. I would imagine on the other end of the court Romeo will guard Nojel and Green/RP will guard Carsen as well.

You're a middle of the pack team and not all that good.

Too much fan, not enough analysis to take this post serious.

There is quite a bit to suggest this team will do better than last year. Defensive efficiency number increases suggest that. Adding offensive talent at positional needs suggests that. Losing not a single player of value suggests that. You're being an emotional fan. The team finished 6th last year and most teams above lost substantial pieces, including Purdue.

Purdue has carsen to build around, but they have to replace 3 or 4 starters. There are too many question marks to think Purdue isn't going to fall back a few spots. If things go really well, no injuries, I could see Purdue move up from 6-7th to 4th or so. But I don't see enough talent or experience to go any higher than that.

Reactions: cosmickid
This is the most wide open that I recall seeing the Big Ten look in the off-season. The drop off from the top of the league to the middle doesn’t look all that great to me.

It's definitely not as top heavy as last year with Purdue, OSU, MSU and Michigan. With those four teams losing major pieces while teams like Indiana, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa moving up it could create a big logjam. There will certainly be more tournament teams from the B1G this year.

Too much fan, not enough analysis to take this post serious.

There is quite a bit to suggest this team will do better than last year. Defensive efficiency number increases suggest that. Adding offensive talent at positional needs suggests that. Losing not a single player of value suggests that. You're being an emotional fan. The team finished 6th last year and most teams above lost substantial pieces, including Purdue.

Purdue has carsen to build around, but they have to replace 3 or 4 starters. There are too many question marks to think Purdue isn't going to fall back a few spots. If things go really well, no injuries, I could see Purdue move up from 6-7th to 4th or so. But I don't see enough talent or experience to go any higher than that.
You seriously think IU didn’t lose any players of value? Robert Johnson??? Hello??

Yea, NE could be real good. Lot of people sleeping on them.

Purdue could be great. We know they have some great pieces surrounded by the likely B1G player of the year CE.

But their is a possibility they could be terrible, we don't know how the new and unproven kids will be able to execute the traditional defensive concepts, along with the new offensive concepts Purdue will put in?? Alot of questions remain unanswered with these new and unproven guys. However, at least with Purdue, with CMP, has a solid proven coach and staff to work with them to fill in the answers....so I like their odds.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy

1. Michigan
2. MSU
3. IU
4. Purdue
5. Maryland
6. Nebraska
7. Iowa
8. Wiscy

1st team:

Carsen (PoY)
Ward
Happ
Romeo
Anthony Cowan

Thoughts?

Here are the NCAA tourney teams imo and finish in Big10

1. Michigan
2. Maryland
3. Mich St
4. Purdue
5. IU

1. Michigan
2. MSU
3. IU
4. Purdue
5. Maryland
6. Nebraska
7. Iowa
8. Wiscy

1st team:

Carsen (PoY)
Ward
Happ
Romeo
Anthony Cowan

Thoughts?

For fun, I've got....

1. Michigan
Lose Wagner and MAAR, but returning talent + good recruiting class + Belein = preseason favorite.
2. Nebraska
Return everyone. James Palmer Jr will give Carsen a run for player of year in conference. Can they win a big game?
3. MSU
Lots of talent. Good recruiting class. Not sold on Winston, Langford, Ward trio leading the way yet.
4. Maryland
Lots of talent. Turgeon has been underachieving IMO. Can they win a big game?
5. Purdue
Some bias here, but table is set for Carsen Edwards to have a big year. Like the potential of the rest of the pieces around him. Beadreaux addition was huge.
6. IU
Morgan and Langford should be tough. Lots of new talent. Unproven guard play is why they are 6th.

Any of these top 6 teams could win the conference IMO. After that.....

7. Wisconsin
8. Minnesota (Murphy and Coffee back, could be sleeper after last seasons dumpster fire)
9. Ohio State
10. Iowa
11. Illinois
12. Northwestern
13. Penn St
14. Rutgers

For fun, I've got....

1. Michigan
Lose Wagner and MAAR, but returning talent + good recruiting class + Belein = preseason favorite.
2. Nebraska
Return everyone. James Palmer Jr will give Carsen a run for player of year in conference. Can they win a big game?
3. MSU
Lots of talent. Good recruiting class. Not sold on Winston, Langford, Ward trio leading the way yet.
4. Maryland
Lots of talent. Turgeon has been underachieving IMO. Can they win a big game?
5. Purdue
Some bias here, but table is set for Carsen Edwards to have a big year. Like the potential of the rest of the pieces around him. Beadreaux addition was huge.
6. IU
Morgan and Langford should be tough. Lots of new talent. Unproven guard play is why they are 6th.

Any of these top 6 teams could win the conference IMO. After that.....

7. Wisconsin
8. Minnesota (Murphy and Coffee back, could be sleeper after last seasons dumpster fire)
9. Ohio State
10. Iowa
11. Illinois
12. Northwestern
13. Penn St
14. Rutgers
Minnesota fan here. :)

On top of Murphy and Coffey being back, Eric Curry also returns after sitting out due to injury all last year. Also bring in Louisville transfer center, Matz Stockman, grad transfer wing Brock Stull, who averaged 13 ppg at UW-M last season, and a top 50 Freshman big in Daniel Oturu. Most people will look at our record last year and put us near the bottom, but there is plenty of talent on the roster. Just need to avoid injuries and suspensions that plagued us last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT