ADVERTISEMENT

18'-19' Big Ten Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minnesota fan here. :)

On top of Murphy and Coffey being back, Eric Curry also returns after sitting out due to injury all last year. Also bring in Louisville transfer center, Matz Stockman, grad transfer wing Brock Stull, who averaged 13 ppg at UW-M last season, and a top 50 Freshman big in Daniel Oturu. Most people will look at our record last year and put us near the bottom, but there is plenty of talent on the roster. Just need to avoid injuries and suspensions that plagued us last season.
I think we look at your coach and don’t believe him to be that good and that is why we don’t see you all doing well.

1. Michigan
2. Purdue (Boogie Co-Player of the Year)
3. IU
4. MSU
5. Nebraska
6. OSU
7. Maryland
8. Wisconsin
9. Penn State
10. Illinois
11. Iowa
12. Rutgers (Corey Sanders Co-Player of Year)
13. Minnesota
14. Northwestern

Edited: Roeder said Corey Sanders signed with an agent....hell of a talent and good for him.

So I have then Boogie POY.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
1. Michigan
3. IU
4. MSU
5. Nebraska
6. OSU
7. Maryland
8. Wisconsin
9. Penn State
10. Illinois
11. Iowa
13. Minnesota
14. Northwestern

I believe Sanders signed with an agent and is gone. Glad we don't have to face him again.

Minnesota fan here. :)

On top of Murphy and Coffey being back, Eric Curry also returns after sitting out due to injury all last year. Also bring in Louisville transfer center, Matz Stockman, grad transfer wing Brock Stull, who averaged 13 ppg at UW-M last season, and a top 50 Freshman big in Daniel Oturu. Most people will look at our record last year and put us near the bottom, but there is plenty of talent on the roster. Just need to avoid injuries and suspensions that plagued us last season.

Yeah, I think they are definitely a sleeper. That sounds like a crowded front court though. Washington will need to improve a TON as a game manager at PG though if they are to make that jump next year. What are Minny fans thoughts on him and the backcourt?

I think we look at your coach and don’t believe him to be that good and that is why we don’t see you all doing well.
The biggest thing with Pitino is that the depth hasn't been there due to some recruiting misses. I mean going from Reggie Lynch to backup Bakary Konate is a massive downgrade. Likewise when Coffey went down ans Hurt had to start. This year we should have alot more quality depth.

I don't think Pitino is a bad coach. He is still young an unproven, but he has had a couple of good years at Minnesota and the job he did at FIU, in his one year, was really good. He had to fill 8 scholarships, in the Spring period, and made it to the conference championship.

Yeah, I think they are definitely a sleeper. That sounds like a crowded front court though. Washington will need to improve a TON as a game manager at PG though if they are to make that jump next year. What are Minny fans thoughts on him and the backcourt?
I think alot of the concern over Washington was alleviated in the final half of the conference season. He averaged like 12 and 3 over the final 10 games on pretty good shooting splits. Just need to keep the turnovers down, which Mason was great at.

At the 2 we have plenty of options with Dupree McBrayer and Brock Stull getting the bulk of the minutes.

1. Michigan
3. IU
4. MSU
5. Nebraska
6. OSU
7. Maryland
8. Wisconsin
9. Penn State
10. Illinois
11. Iowa
13. Minnesota
14. Northwestern
So far, I would have to agree with this ranking the most from what I've seen.

You seriously think IU didn’t lose any players of value? Robert Johnson??? Hello??

Robert Johnson's offensive efficiency rating was 5th on the team at around 107-108. That's horrible for a senior. He disappeared offensively many games at a time. He had no ability to create his own shot and he rarely set up his teammates to get open looks.

Yeah, he's not going to be difficult to replace.

Here are the NCAA tourney teams imo and finish in Big10

1. Michigan
2. Maryland
3. Mich St
4. Purdue
5. IU

Pretty tough to leave Nebraska and wisconsin off that list. I think the B1G gets 8 this year. One of minny, Iowa, OSU maybe.

1. Michigan
3. IU
4. MSU
5. Nebraska
6. OSU
7. Maryland
8. Wisconsin
9. Penn State
10. Illinois
11. Iowa
13. Minnesota
14. Northwestern

I will say this. If Purdue finishes 2nd, painter likely gets COY. To lose that many starters and nearly win the B1G would be a hell of a job.

The biggest thing with Pitino is that the depth hasn't been there due to some recruiting misses. I mean going from Reggie Lynch to backup Bakary Konate is a massive downgrade. Likewise when Coffey went down ans Hurt had to start. This year we should have alot more quality depth.

I don't think Pitino is a bad coach. He is still young an unproven, but he has had a couple of good years at Minnesota and the job he did at FIU, in his one year, was really good. He had to fill 8 scholarships, in the Spring period, and made it to the conference championship.
I recall about two years ago, everybody thought Minnesota was on their way to the top. The team played hard and smart. Then all the bad stuff happened. Injuries, and IIRC didn't a kid or two get kicked off the team? They went from rising star to bottom feeder in about a month.

I think Pitino is still the same good coach he was 2 years ago. Itr sounds like there is good talent coming in, so maybe everybody is sleeping on them a bit as well.

This year is make or break for 5 coaches

Pat Chambers at Penn State
Tim Miles at Nebraska
Fran McCafrey at Iowa
Richard Pitino at Minnesota
Mark Turgeon at Maryland

I think any of those coaches miss the tournament again, without significant injury or suspensions, and the possibility exists they get fired.

Theres absolutely no excuse for Miles. Its unlikely he will acquire as much talent and experience at Nebraska regularly as he has this season, so if he misses the tournament again I think you have to move on from him.

Same thing with Fran at Iowa. Iowa is loaded. Just from a pure talent perspective, I think they are probably top 6 in the conference. But if they still dont play any defense and miss the tournament again with all that talent, going to be hard to justify sticking with him there, I think.

Maryland has the most talent in the league. No doubt about it. Even without Huerter, Turgeon has a decided talent advantage over the rest of the league. If he misses the tournament again or even barely makes it as a bubble team, he is probably looking for a new job.

Reactions: Roeder
FYI, ESPN has their Too Early Top 25 printed on the website. Purdue is number 25 and Michigan and MSU are ranked ahead. That suggests third in the B1G. Of interest, neither Nebraska or IU are ranked by ESPN - and this is post the RL signing. It seems our southern brethren might be a little too optimistic about how things will turn out. Obviously, the "experts" disagree.

FYI, ESPN has their Too Early Top 25 printed on the website. Purdue is number 25 and Michigan and MSU are ranked ahead. That suggests third in the B1G. Of interest, neither Nebraska or IU are ranked by ESPN - and this is post the RL signing. It seems our southern brethren might be a little too optimistic about how things will turn out. Obviously, the "experts" disagree.
There were quite a few early top 25's posted today. Would be interesting to see them all.

Edit:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...d-out-of-the-top-5-of-the-top-25-and-one/amp/

Last edited:

You think the "experts" at ESPN are utilizing analytics to come up with that list or just winging it based on feel?

I bet I know the answer.

FYI, CBS has their early top 25 out. Indiana is number 25. Of interest, Purdue is not ranked. Seems the Purdue contingent might be a little too optimistic about how things will turn out. Obviously, the "experts" disagree.

This is fun!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...5-and-1-after-ncaa-draft-withdrawal-deadline/

Year in and year out, everyone overranks IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder
Robert Johnson's offensive efficiency rating was 5th on the team at around 107-108. That's horrible for a senior. He disappeared offensively many games at a time. He had no ability to create his own shot and he rarely set up his teammates to get open looks.

Yeah, he's not going to be difficult to replace.
Second leading scorer at 14 a game and the only player on that team who could break down the defense. Davis is probably not playing or at least not 100%. Romeo will be taking touches from a senior Morgan and then getting burned on the defensive end. Should be great for chemistry.
Your entire backcourt hasn’t played a single game in college and they join a horrible team from last season. Hardly evidence that they will be better. Last years team wouldn’t finish 6th in any other season but last year, but keep telling yourself that IU was 6th and because they have new players they will be better. It will be fun to see you here again in February, but we all know that Iu peaks in the off-season, so it’s unlikely you will be back after November.

Reactions: BCBtrio
Second leading scorer at 14 a game and the only player on that team who could break down the defense. Davis is probably not playing or at least not 100%. Romeo will be taking touches from a senior Morgan and then getting burned on the defensive end. Should be great for chemistry.
Your entire backcourt hasn’t played a single game in college and they join a horrible team from last season. Hardly evidence that they will be better. Last years team wouldn’t finish 6th in any other season but last year, but keep telling yourself that IU was 6th and because they have new players they will be better. It will be fun to see you here again in February, but we all know that Iu peaks in the off-season, so it’s unlikely you will be back after November.

Do you understand analytics?

The only part of your post that is relevant is Davis. If he can't contribute at all next season, it limits the ceiling some for sure.

Most of your post is emotionally based and wildly inaccurate.

I do not understand how you can use analytics based upon recruits that have not played a game at the college level. Analytics is based upon data sets There is no real data here on the expected big producers.

There is historical data. It's not as perfect as using current collegiate efficiencies, but there is enough accuracy that it can be used with a fairly reliable outcome.

And it's certainly more accurate than some hack at ESPN trying to rank a few teams while slamming their morning coffee on the way to work.

I disagree entirely with your last sentence. There is no historical data that places the supposed key contributors within the same set of games. So how can any form of analytics be used? You are attempting to use a tool in an improper manner.

At this point the "eye test" is all that there is; admittedly with a high error function in the mix The ESPN hack has at least some comparative knowledge that likely places him as better than a casual observer.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
This year is make or break for 5 coaches

Pat Chambers at Penn State
Tim Miles at Nebraska
Fran McCafrey at Iowa
Richard Pitino at Minnesota
Mark Turgeon at Maryland

I think any of those coaches miss the tournament again, without significant injury or suspensions, and the possibility exists they get fired.

Theres absolutely no excuse for Miles. Its unlikely he will acquire as much talent and experience at Nebraska regularly as he has this season, so if he misses the tournament again I think you have to move on from him.

Same thing with Fran at Iowa. Iowa is loaded. Just from a pure talent perspective, I think they are probably top 6 in the conference. But if they still dont play any defense and miss the tournament again with all that talent, going to be hard to justify sticking with him there, I think.

Maryland has the most talent in the league. No doubt about it. Even without Huerter, Turgeon has a decided talent advantage over the rest of the league. If he misses the tournament again or even barely makes it as a bubble team, he is probably looking for a new job.
I really think Chambers is safe after last season's finish.

Reactions: PU52Chevy
The reality is that Purdue and IU will be very similar next season. Some early top 25s have us ranked higher, and some have them ranked higher. It's really too close to call at this point, unless you are just have a best guess at it.

Reactions: mathboy
Realistically, shouldn't Morgan be getting the touches from "Money" Langford? As I said before, there ain't gonna' be enough balls in Trailer City.

Reactions: Inspector100
Realistically, shouldn't Morgan be getting the touches from "Money" Langford? As I said before, there ain't gonna' be enough balls in Trailer City.

I'm going to choose to ignore the "money" comment because it's childish and not worth arguing about.

Beyond that, are you saying that there shouldn't be two good players on the same team or there will be problems? I agree that having two selfish players is a problem....unfortunately for you, neither of those guys are selfish. Morgan was the only player on last season's team who was a consistent scorer, so yeah, he got a lot of touches. It would be stupid not to give him those, since no one else could put the ball in the basket. But that's not who he is, he's not the type to demand the ball and be selfish. He had to grow into the role of main scorer because the team needed it. It wasn't an easy transition and he started off the season slowly because it's not his natural tendency. I'm sure he will welcome another scorer on the team to take some weight off his shoulders. I'm sure Romeo will appreciate it too, considering he was relied upon HEAVILY on his high school team to do it all.

But once the season starts and you see selfishness between Romeo and Juwan and them having issues being ball hogs, you come back and let me know.

You really are an annoying poster who just spews crap to cause an uproar, even though you have nothing to base it on and lack the intelligence or tact to say something more logical.

Reactions: MKordIUBB
Carsen (POY)
James Palmer
Cowan
Happ
Tillman

Tillman is my "shock" pick. I see him taking playing time from Ward because he isn't a mental case and has developed a decent jumper.
I was certainly not expecting to see that name pop up haha.

Tillman? Really?

I think he makes a leap unless Ward figures out how to manage his emotions
Out of the MSU players, I would have picked him 4th or 5th most likely to make 1st team haha. I definitely would have had Ward, Cash, and Langford ahead of him.

Out of the MSU players, I would have picked him 4th or 5th most likely to make 1st team haha. I definitely would have had Ward, Cash, and Langford ahead of him.
Respectable opinion.

Langford is a great player against subpar talent. He seems to shutter when the lights get bright.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I think that will be the case as well. Carsen can easily guard Green/RP. I would imagine on the other end of the court Romeo will guard Nojel and Green/RP will guard Carsen as well.
If Nojel becomes a better scorer and at the same time, an offensive threat, and IU puts Langford on him, that's a bonus for PU because Landford isn't a defensive player....never has been and never will be.

If Nojel becomes a better scorer and at the same time, an offensive threat, and IU puts Langford on him, that's a bonus for PU because Landford isn't a defensive player....never has been and never will be.
He did a pretty good job shutting down Keion Brooks in the Forum Classic last year....

However, he will always guard the worst perimeter scoring threat on the opposing team, because they can't afford to have him in foul trouble.

He did a pretty good job shutting down Keion Brooks in the Forum Classic last year....

However, he will always guard the worst perimeter scoring threat on the opposing team, because they can't afford to have him in foul trouble.
You seem to have followed Romeo’s high school career pretty closely...hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT