ADVERTISEMENT

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Did it actually get retired? That's what twitter and several notifications are saying. But it went in the rafters with all the other All-Americans, and I certainly wouldn't think this would happen before the season is over.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Coach Painter said it was being retired. So unless we hear otherwise, I will take him at his word.

Just read this in a CBS Sports article:

“Purdue does not retire jersey numbers, but every All-American player at the school gets their jersey hung up in the rafters. Edey is the first to have his hung while his college career is still active.”

So, no retirement of the number.

Just read this in a CBS Sports article:

“Purdue does not retire jersey numbers, but every All-American player at the school gets their jersey hung up in the rafters. Edey is the first to have his hung while his college career is still active.”

So, no retirement of the number.
Yeah I saw that too, and read Painter's quote in the same article, so still confused. Isn't 13 actually retired?

I don’t know if Glenn’s number is actually retired. I do recall a player wanting to wear Rick Mount’s number and, I believe it was Painter, asked that player to get permission from Rick, who did grant it.

Yeah I saw that too, and read Painter's quote in the same article, so still confused. Isn't 13 actually retired?
It’s unofficially retired and Keady and Painter won’t let a player wear it…unless…what if GiCarri wants to wear it!? 😮 (doubtful)

It’s unofficially retired and Keady and Painter won’t let a player wear it…unless…what if GiCarri wants to wear it!? 😮 (doubtful)
That was brought up on twitter too. I see that Harris wears 24 now at least for his HS team. Pretty sure that's available right now?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
That was brought up on twitter too. I see that Harris wears 24 now at least for his HS team. Pretty sure that's available right now?
Yeah I wouldn’t expect him to try and wear 13…not sure how close glen and him are. Hope they are but if not, that’s fine too. Would be cool if he wore 13 tho

Yeah I wouldn’t expect him to try and wear 13…not sure how close glen and him are. Hope they are but if not, that’s fine too. Would be cool if he wore 13 tho
I would advise against it. Those are big shoes to try to fill and he can have an awesome career without approaching that level of dominance. Keep 13 retired and let Gicarri forge his own path.

Reactions: tjreese
I don’t know if Glenn’s number is actually retired. I do recall a player wanting to wear Rick Mount’s number and, I believe it was Painter, asked that player to get permission from Rick, who did grant it.
Didn't Woody Austin wear 10 and that's what had Mount irked for all those years?

Reactions: BoilerMaker P
Didn't Woody Austin wear 10 and that's what had Mount irked for all those years?
I think it was more the perceived treatment of his son (Richie) his freshman (and only) year. As an aside, I remember going to a nationally televised game during the 1987-88 season and they interviewed Richie (and Rick) in the stands (Richie was in highschoolat the time). My memory is that the game was on ABC and maybe even Keith Jackson did the game. Is that even possible?

I think it was more the perceived treatment of his son (Richie) his freshman (and only) year. As an aside, I remember going to a nationally televised game during the 1987-88 season and they interviewed Richie (and Rick) in the stands (Richie was in highschoolat the time). My memory is that the game was on ABC and maybe even Keith Jackson did the game. Is that even possible?
Yes, Keith Jackson did broadcast from Mackey in that time frame.

Yes, Keith Jackson did broadcast from Mackey in that time frame.

Keith Jackson did college games with Dick Vitale (before he was Dukie V) as lead analyst for ABC. He'd have been great calling games with Zach Edey. :) "Well, partner, you just can't really maintain anything with the Big Hoss in the paint.....before you know it, he's got 30 points and 20 boards, and you're back to selling insurance....."

By the way Vitale was outstanding with his analysis and flow back then - also did conference games with Mike Patrick for ESPN. Take a listen to this one, and decide for yourself.....first time I saw this, I'm thinking these guys aren't bad calling it.....holy ______, it's Vitale and Patrick.

Reactions: Dryfly88
It would be hard pressed to find four greater resources that formed national pillars and prominence for Purdue. Maybe some day Jaden Ivey but his time and impact for Purdue was short so he'd have to do great things in the NBA and be a strong advocate for Purdue (kinda like Drew Brees does in football).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT