ADVERTISEMENT

15 record

The players seem to have turned a corner as far as how determined they are to get the job done. I just sense maybe not full momentum, but the stirring of belief. A team that believes in itself can be a magical, powerful beast.

I really hope Purdue proves me wrong with my 3 to 4 win season prediction. After getting excited mid season last year because they were playing well, they laid an egg and looked horrible against Northwestern and IU. Yeah, I understand that guys are back and healthy but I will take a wait and see approach.

Indiana's at our house. We should win that one.
Yes,Purdue has IU at home this year,and I also hate to use the excuse that IU wins the bucket game the last two years because it was played at Bloomington.Lets face it Memorial Stadium isn't exactly a house of horrors for visiting teams.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I think we go 7-5 and then win our Bowl game to go 8-5. Hazell needed two years to build the type of team he wants and now he should be ready.

I am waiting until after the first game to make a prediction
Me too. I think the Marshall game will determine DH's future at Purdue. A win can launch this team's confidence and lead to more wins. A loss can quickly destroy any confidence and momentum.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I just can't believe all the hand wringing and despair after 2 seasons. To predict 1 or 2 wins is very defeatist. I am not one of those "uber positives". I want to watch the team play their schedule and then see where we are then. I think there will be discernible progress seen this year.
Is it "defeatist" or is it being a "realist"? I think the latter.

Yep, defeatist! I just have that outlook and I am very realistic about where the program is. It is hard to in the BIG, very hard! But fair review says that after 2 years of rebuild things COULD go somewhere now. Time to get ready for good things, 1or 2 wins only , now then its ok to wring hands.

Last edited:
Yep, defeatist! I just have that outlook and I am very realistic about where the program is. It is hard to in the BIG, very hard! But fair review says that after 2 years of rebuild things COULD go somewhere now. Time to get ready for good things, 1or 2 wins only , now then its ok to wring hands.
One of us will be right....the other one won't. The coach is the same, the talent level is the same (or maybe worse), and the schedule still favors the opponent.

That's why the play them. I hope to enjoy some good games this year.

Hey, I don't want to argue with anyone here...I just see the possibility of a better season. I like to watch football and I cheer for Purdue. If I expect less, then what's the point?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Hey, I don't want to argue with anyone here...I just see the possibility of a better season. I like to watch football and I cheer for Purdue. If I expect less, then what's the point?
The OP asked about this year's record. All I did was express my opinion on that. I honestly haven't seen much on the FB side to get excited about.

Fair point. I am convinced the OL and LB corps will be much improved. That's solid, tangible and measurable. I hope we enjoy the season.

They don't even have to make it to a crap bowl to be improved this year. 5 wins would be an amazing feat. Don't think the offense will be able to get there with the current leadership. The D is not going to throw shutouts so without a very productive O we'll be lucky to get 3 or 4 Ws.

Theres just a different feel and energy to this team right now. I can't put my finger on it but I'm going 6-6 with a bowl win to finish 7-6. Been a rough few years around here but i think times are about to change! BOILER UP

In reference to 17 and his nobody gives a reason for why we'll be better, it's obvious that you don't pay attention. People have given countless reasons why we will be better. This is the best OLINE we've had in a while, with depth. When is the last time we've had 3 really good Linebackers? Probably Niko, Johnson and Gardner. I'm calling it now that both Bentley and Danny E will be playing on Sundays. There are two reasons for you right there.

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue
I'm hoping 18, SIBoioer, and Twin Degrees can all find a bar to hang out on Saturdays with a country western jukebox playing depressing music and no WiFi so they can all complain to each other about Shoop, Burke, and Hazell and not be on here posting Fire Shoop threads every time we have a running play only gain 1 yard. I'm sure we could even all pitch in and pay their tab.

Anyone who thinks we'll go to a bowl is in for a rude awakening. We'll be extremely lucky to get 4 with our schedule.

Our schedule is not really that hard at all. We miss the best team in the conference and play basically all of the mediocre ones (IU, IL, NU, Minny, Iowa) really have three games against supposedly good teams (VT, UW, MSU). Nebraska may be good, who knows.

Honestly if we were descent we should win 6-7 games. The last four would be winnable and then 3/4 in non conf. We will not win anywhere near 7. 3-4 is likely on what imo is a weak schedule.

Our schedule is not really that hard at all. We miss the best team in the conference and play basically all of the mediocre ones (IU, IL, NU, Minny, Iowa) really have three games against supposedly good teams (VT, UW, MSU). Nebraska may be good, who knows.

Honestly if we were descent we should win 6-7 games. The last four would be winnable and then 3/4 in non conf. We will not win anywhere near 7. 3-4 is likely on what imo is a weak schedule.
I don't think the schedule is real tough,either.As of now aren't Michigan State and Wisconsin the only ranked teams on it?The problem for me is,I just cant make up my mind how good Purdue is.I guess in about three weeks we will know.

Trying to be a successful running team is much more difficult than being a successful passing team, so as long as Purdue wants to be a running team, their wins will be few! At best, they may win 4 games!

Trying to be a successful running team is much more difficult than being a successful passing team, so as long as Purdue wants to be a running team, their wins will be few! At best, they may win 4 games!
A team with 4 WR's isn't exactly what I envision a running team being. That aside, this line is real good, and real experienced, and deep. We're going to be much better than you think. This offense will be successful on the ground and in the air.

From NBCSports Preview of the B1G:
7. Purdue (3-9)
"Let’s just get straight to the point. Darrell Hazell has won a mere four games in his first two seasons in West Lafayette, including one lone win in Big Ten play. His non-conference schedule this season includes Virginia Tech and a road trip to defending Conference USA champion Marshall, while there’s a better-than-average chance he will go winless in conference play for the second time in three years. If the 15 returning starters can improve enough, there’s a chance the Boilermakers could, akin to a fat man shimmying into a pair of skinny jeans, squeeze its way into a postseason bid, which is likely the only way this branch of the Jim Tresselcoaching tree gets another season."

From NBCSports Preview of the B1G:
7. Purdue (3-9)
"Let’s just get straight to the point. Darrell Hazell has won a mere four games in his first two seasons in West Lafayette, including one lone win in Big Ten play. His non-conference schedule this season includes Virginia Tech and a road trip to defending Conference USA champion Marshall, while there’s a better-than-average chance he will go winless in conference play for the second time in three years. If the 15 returning starters can improve enough, there’s a chance the Boilermakers could, akin to a fat man shimmying into a pair of skinny jeans, squeeze its way into a postseason bid, which is likely the only way this branch of the Jim Tresselcoaching tree gets another season."
Here we go again...talking about the last 2 years. There is no sense in all this reporting on the summer or camp with some of you guys. All that matters to you guys is the last 2 years. The new offense, the veteran team we now have, the greatly improved WR's etc...etc...nothing matters but the past. Soon we'll see who is right and who is wrong, but this NBC prediction is flat out stupid. I think everyone should let us play the Marshall game and then pick up the debate where we left off.

Here we go again...talking about the last 2 years. There is no sense in all this reporting on the summer or camp with some of you guys. All that matters to you guys is the last 2 years. The new offense, the veteran team we now have, the greatly improved WR's etc...etc...nothing matters but the past. Soon we'll see who is right and who is wrong, but this NBC prediction is flat out stupid. I think everyone should let us play the Marshall game and then pick up the debate where we left off.
So are you going to be back here admitting you're wrong when we stink up the joint?

Reactions: Redhotfill
JohnHoosierr, post: So are you going to be back here admitting you're wrong when we stink up the joint?

The bigger question is will you be back to apologize, if we have a winning record? Will you be able to tell bioler800 that even though you were rooting and imagining a losing record that you are glad Purdue has bounced back? Yes, a sportswriter looks at the past couple of seasons and makes a prediction. He does not realize that a new coach takes time to recruit and mold the team he wants. This team looks like we are coming together and I think we all need to be behind the team.

Reactions: boiler800
So are you going to be back here admitting you're wrong when we stink up the joint?
If we stink up the place I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but the real question is how many of you guys preaching the history will repeat itself pitch, will admit you were wrong? The last 2 years is history. I hate history. The past is gone.

My guess is the same....2 wins likely with an outside chance at 3.
When this team has won 3 games after game 4 or 5, or even game 6, what will you and the whole bunch or history lovers and low ballers say? Would you expect them to go 0-6 again, based on last year? BoilerBullDog was right. Lots of guys on here are just moping, and crying about everything...I think they go through life with a rain cloud over their heads. Fellas---listen up: This team is not the same one from last year. Totally different offense. More depth. Totally better across the board. This team will probably tie that 2 win bet after the Indiana State game. That won't leave much to bitch about for the next 10 games. Give this team a chance to play.

Reactions: toddbrewster
"Everyone's opinion is correct until Purdue starts playing this Sunday" and then on Sunday night we will see what improvement has been made. I still hold to the old coaching axiom that a football team shows the MOST improvement between their first and second games but I might extend that in our case until after the Va Tech game to see where we sit, until then the past is the best prediction of the future!

"Everyone's opinion is correct until Purdue starts playing this Sunday" and then on Sunday night we will see what improvement has been made. I still hold to the old coaching axiom that a football team shows the MOST improvement between their first and second games but I might extend that in our case until after the Va Tech game to see where we sit, until then the past is the best prediction of the future!

Agree. I do think Purdue can hit the ground running in game 1 simply because our entire offensive/defensive lines, QB and linebackers are all returning with a lot of experience in a familiar system. Having that continuity is a big deal, especially when going against a team that is smaller and has a new QB. Marshall didn't play anybody last year and their running backs numbers are a bit inflated because of that. We should be able to wear down their smaller defense by continuing to pound the ball with our bigger offensive line. Their linebackers are pretty small. We also have depth on our defensive line to keep guys fresh on a hot day. Physically I think we can impose our will over 4 quarters and control the clock. Barring a barrage of turnovers, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't win this game.

Reactions: toddbrewster
Hello Boiler 800,

I really doesn't matter how many wide receivers Purdue has, it they don't throw the ball to them! Last year I got so tired of seeing runners plunge into the line for little or no gain, when passing would have made much more sense. Hopefully, this year they'll utilize their WR's and and running backs on pass plays. The no yard line plunges are hopefully a thing of the past!

The past and the future are like apples and oranges and not at all the SAME. On sunday night will all those who are clinging on to the past please line up behind the Mollenkopf Athletic Center for your ass whippings and you will all have to say: Thank you sir may I please have another?!

If we stink up the place I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but the real question is how many of you guys preaching the history will repeat itself pitch, will admit you were wrong? The last 2 years is history. I hate history. The past is gone.
The reason little enthusiasm? Poor track record (so far) and few coaching improvements to show reason for hope. Sunday will shed light on whether Boiler fans should stay hopeful, or return to the lowly past.

I respectfully submit that you are full of crap. I've been Purdue through and through since 1964. Enjoyed the Mollenkopf years then lived and died through the dark era that followed with only a brief glimmer of hope while Young was in charge. Enjoyed the Tiller revolution then watched the slide to oblivion, the Hopeless years and now a total train wreck. If not believing in a team that can't win 25% of its' games in a two year span and seeing little evidence of change means I'm not a true Purdue fan then you know where you can put it.
Right on brother!!! Couldn't have said it better!!!

Reactions: Redhotfill
The past and the future are like apples and oranges and not at all the SAME. On sunday night will all those who are clinging on to the past please line up behind the Mollenkopf Athletic Center for your ass whippings and you will all have to say: Thank you sir may I please have another?!
Hey what happened to you??? A bunch of us were behind Mollenkopf Sunday night and you never showed. Don't make promises if you aren't going to keep them!!!

Reactions: Statey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT