ADVERTISEMENT

“If everyone returns and”

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
We pick up one more Grad transfer, I believe Purdue can be a factor in the 2019 B1G Championship. I know there is a lotta if’s in that. If Carsen returns, if we don’t have any more transfers out and if we can add one more key player. Assuming those happen and the team has everyone on campus and they have a productive summer, we could have a team that will grow and mature by the end of the season. I really do think they will become a pleasant surprise in 2019...IF

I don't think we need another grad transfer
Eastern ce sasha Hunter 3/4 need court time before the big ten start s!

Ebx wheeler cline Williams also need court time to adjust to expanded roles or just to adjust to college games.

Overall the athleticism needs time n patience to gel!
Hope painter has the patience and allows the team to run more n show athleticism n depth!

Plus haarms is a tough matchup for any opposite
Coaches and team need to use n abuse this matchup
Make opponents doible leads to open shots. Teams will try what they did the last 10+/- games last yr
Play every one man deny ball to reverse
Haas should've averaged 20 shots
But team couldn't do that!
Basketball is all about matchup s n taking advantage of them n make the other team adjust...last year we didn't adjust very well!
We should be better on def boards w ebx Williams and wheeler getting the tough rebounds
Last yr ce n eastern got the tough rebounds!

Plus haarms is a tough matchup for any opposite
Coaches and team need to use n abuse this matchup
Make opponents doible leads to open shots. Teams will try what they did the last 10+/- games last yr
Play every one man deny ball to reverse
Haas should've averaged 20 shots
But team couldn't do that!
Basketball is all about matchup s n taking advantage of them n make the other team adjust...last year we didn't adjust very well!
We should be better on def boards w ebx Williams and wheeler getting the tough rebounds
Last yr ce n eastern got the tough rebounds!
I would’ve swore Painter and the boys won 30 games last year. After reading the neck’s recap of the season the team apparently lost 30 games.

Why turn down good players?

But from what we do know about who we have.... We are as likely to be B10 Champs as we are 7-8th place. Alot of unknowns.

The answer though might be the fact that CMP is backing off a couple transfer guards like Chardonnay (sp) though tells me he is either way so happy with what he has and thinks they have great potential, or knows they just need a year of court time experience , so not good next year but they're going to be good in 19-20.

Last edited:
Reactions: nagemj02
A coach should never start the season without a full complement of players. If you have 3-4 holes, you fill those holes. I don't care if they are grad transfers, transfers, walk ons or high school recruits. You cannot expect to field a competitive team with only 9 players

Last edited:
We pick up one more Grad transfer, I believe Purdue can be a factor in the 2019 B1G Championship. I know there is a lotta if’s in that. If Carsen returns, if we don’t have any more transfers out and if we can add one more key player. Assuming those happen and the team has everyone on campus and they have a productive summer, we could have a team that will grow and mature by the end of the season. I really do think they will become a pleasant surprise in 2019...IF

I think it’s less about adding another player than it is about how players currently on the roster improve and / or step up. I agree that we can challenge in the conference if the following happen, in order of importance.

1) Carsen stays and takes his game up another level on defense and in distributing the ball.

2) Eastern and Haarms make big jumps as sophomores.

3) Cline is able to cash in on getting the opportunity for extended minutes and has a solid senior year, averaging 25+ minutes per game and shooting 45% on threes.

4) Boudreaux’s game translates to the Big Ten and he gives us an efficient 10 and 5 in 20 minutes per game.

5) At least one back court and one front court player out of the five newcomers (including redshirts) step up in a big way to give us 15 quality minutes each per game. With Grady and the five above, that allows us to go eight deep.

As long as #1 and #2 occur I think this is an NCAA team. If some of the others fall into place this team could be really salty.

I hate to say it, but a lot of our future success hinges on the development of Haarms. We will have a lot of talent in our front court, but very few players who are familiar with each other or Painters system. It will be interesting to watch how fast Painter can get these talented pieces to mesh together into the system he wants.

I hate to say it, but a lot of our future success hinges on the development of Haarms. We will have a lot of talent in our front court, but very few players who are familiar with each other or Painters system. It will be interesting to watch how fast Painter can get these talented pieces to mesh together into the system he wants.

Why do you hate to say it? In order for this team to be a player in the conference race it's likely that either Eastern, Haarms or both going to need to become all conference type players.

Purdue has a lot of potential - but it's a lot of unproven potential. We only had a handful of players last year get minutes - Carsen, Haarms, Cline, Eastern and Eifert. Only one of those has shown to have consistency scoring. These guys all have potential - some didn't see big number of minutes, some proved they can make an impact, others you can see the potential impact without necessarily having stats or performances to point to it (i.e. Eastern didn't necessarily score double-digits, but we can certainly see he's capable of it).

Then you throw in the redshirts and incoming guys - again, lots of potential and reason to be positive, but zero college experience.

I think Purdue will be one of the best improved teams, if not the most improved, by the end of the season next year. If we happen to get through the non-conference with a respectable record and are improved enough to compete in the Big Ten and make the NCAA Tournament, I probably wouldn't want to face Purdue as the seeding would likely not be reflective of the current quality of the team.

That being said, I said it before - this team's success will depend on the quality of play from the returning guys more so than the new guys. Carsen's a very good player - but next year he has to make his teammates better. This past year, he had 4 good seniors around him and he just had to worry about himself. Next year, he'll have fresher and less experienced players. He has to help elevate those guys - teams will be zeroing in one him defensively and he has to get his teammates involved. A one man show doesn't work in college basketball - look at Oklahoma. Same thing with Haarms - this was his freshman year as a big man, which is not an easy feat. He needs to make that next step. etc. etc.

I would’ve swore Painter and the boys won 30 games last year. After reading the neck’s recap of the season the team apparently lost 30 games.
The season left my cup half full
What could have been.
Making adjustments wins games or lack of loses games! If we'd taken advantage of other teams guarding Haas and haarms one on one! That would've helped the team to go further...basketball still about matchup s n taking advantage of them!
Last yr Purdue s biggest advantage was Haas and haarms! N at times ve n ce!
Next yr advantage haarms n ce...maybe eastern n wheeler at times!
Go boilers!
I've been a Purdue fan since Franklin, faerber n Ford! I don't mind loosing when we play well n smart but not making adjustments is just frustrating!

Reactions: indianabulls
The season left my cup half full
What could have been.
Making adjustments wins games or lack of loses games! If we'd taken advantage of other teams guarding Haas and haarms one on one! That would've helped the team to go further...basketball still about matchup s n taking advantage of them!
Last yr Purdue s biggest advantage was Haas and haarms! N at times ve n ce!
Next yr advantage haarms n ce...maybe eastern n wheeler at times!
Go boilers!
I've been a Purdue fan since Franklin, faerber n Ford! I don't mind loosing when we play well n smart but not making adjustments is just frustrating!
Been around since the Mount days, have disagree a bit with your analysis as our outside shooting let us down in most of the games we lost this year! When they were doubling down on Haas, he did a better than average job of kicking it out and unfortunately our shooting touch disappeared! Adjustments were made shots didn’t fall with two exceptions in losses! One game with Haas playing our outside players stood around and/or couldn’t get free to shoot. The other loss without him we looked uncomfortable with the pace of play and did not shoot as well as we had. V Edward’s injury could have been a factor and unfortunately Mathias had some really bad shooting stats! Don’t get me wrong I think Matt still has to grow in his last minute coaching but most of the games we lost this year was due to poor shooting and injuries!

My new questions
Could coach p done an adjustment to counter the poor shooting...it was bad as defender stayed on shooters very little movement of players, the ball or players w the ball!
Injuries are regretfully a part of sports
We should've increased the role of especially Taylor at that time!
That lack of increased time I d suspect is the real reason he is leaving now!

Reactions: nagemj02
My new questions
Could coach p done an adjustment to counter the poor shooting...it was bad as defender stayed on shooters very little movement of players, the ball or players w the ball!
Injuries are regretfully a part of sports
We should've increased the role of especially Taylor at that time!
That lack of increased time I d suspect is the real reason he is leaving now!

The thousands of times I’ve heard Coach yell “move” to the offense tells me that it wasn’t scheming that caused the execution of our offense. Sometimes players stand around when the ball goes into the post! I don’t think Taylor would have made a difference, for whatever reason once his foot was put into the boot just before the season started it just seemed to put him behind in conditioning and development again and Haarms made the most of his opportunity early in the season with playing time that might of gone to Taylor. Taylor got those minutes in the WUG since Hararms could not play. Taylor needed all the time on the court he could since he really had limited PT his whole career and had little to no experience due to his injuries.

Bottom line with a game on the line we didn’t have that go to superstar to hit that crucial jumper as many do. We had a couple of players when healthy that could drive to the bucket and either hit the shot or go to the FT line but not that dagger shooter to win it in the last minute in tight games against top tier teams!

Certainly and I hope his injuries stop so he can play and improve and wish him well!

Reactions: BoiledSteel
The thousands of times I’ve heard Coach yell “move” to the offense tells me that it wasn’t scheming that caused the execution of our offense. Sometimes players stand around when the ball goes into the post! I don’t think Taylor would have made a difference, for whatever reason once his foot was put into the boot just before the season started it just seemed to put him behind in conditioning and development again and Haarms made the most of his opportunity early in the season with playing time that might of gone to Taylor. Taylor got those minutes in the WUG since Hararms could not play. Taylor needed all the time on the court he could since he really had limited PT his whole career and had little to no experience due to his injuries.

Bottom line with a game on the line we didn’t have that go to superstar to hit that crucial jumper as many do. We had a couple of players when healthy that could drive to the bucket and either hit the shot or go to the FT line but not that dagger shooter to win it in the last minute in tight games against top tier teams!

Certainly and I hope his injuries stop so he can play and improve and wish him well!

Carsen Edwards was the go-to scorer in those situations but Purdue just didn't have many games (Tennessee neutral game, OSU home game and MSU road game were the closest ones) that came down to Carsen making a game-winning shot.

Why do you hate to say it? In order for this team to be a player in the conference race it's likely that either Eastern, Haarms or both going to need to become all conference type players.

I hate to say it, because I want to remain positive and have an optimistic outlook for our future. and I don't want to make assumptions or repeat myself. I also like our incoming freshmen a little more than our returning players and I realize that may upset some posters .

In our style of play, I don't see Edwards becoming an Allan Iverson type and scoring 30-35+ points a game and having our entire offense revolve around him. He easily could, I just don't see Painter allowing it. For Purdue to be successful, we need at least two other players to make major contributions. This year, we had Haas and V Edwards both capable of scoring 20 points. and sometimes Dakota.

As I look at this team, to win 25+ games, we need another backcourt player to step up and become a threat to consistently score 15-20 ppg. and we need a frontcourt player to be offensive minded and score 15+ ppg. and we need two frontcourt players who can haul down 6-10 rebounds.

and to be frank, I can see 6-7 players that have the talent level and ability and could fill those roles. And I'll be blunt. My loyalty is to Purdue rather than individual players. if Dow beats out Haarms and starts at center, or if Williams starts at PF and averages 16/8, or if Hunter becomes that backcourt outside shooter who is lights out from 3 and averages 12-16 ppg, and if current projected starters come off the bench, I won't be upset. the only real stat I look at is the W. If asked, I have no knowledge of the minutes, points, rebounds or turnovers of any player on this year's team. I do know we had 30 wins.

I look forward to next year. This year was great. but I believe next year will be a lot better than some will predict. We lost a lot of talent and experience. But we have a lot of talent no one has ever seen play together yet.

Carsen Edwards was the go-to scorer in those situations but Purdue just didn't have many games (Tennessee neutral game, OSU home game and MSU road game were the closest ones) that came down to Carsen making a game-winning shot.

Purdue had a very "clutch by committee" approach over the last couple years which has worked out pretty well. We've seen a wide variety of guys really hit clutch shots, which is not necessarily a bad thing as some portray it (certainly less predictable - which is why I think Purdue won so many of those games, many more than they lost).

That being said, next year Purdue will be going back to having a more traditional type of team - one really good/main player. Carsen's going to be that main guy basically no matter what (unless he really degresses or someone REALLY steps up and has an off-the-charts year). The question is can Purdue fill the "gap" between Carsen and everyone else to help make it a good team with a great player. That's up to Carsen to get his teammates involved when teams zero in on him - and it's up to obviously everyone else to improve or be comfortable with each other as teammates.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I think that Haarms has a chance to take a huge leap. Assuming Carsen returns, I think that Carsen and Haarms will form a great nucleus to build around.

Well heck one of the freshmen, Haarms and Boudreaux better be decent or you can kiss next year goodbye.

I think that Haarms has a chance to take a huge leap. Assuming Carsen returns, I think that Carsen and Haarms will form a great nucleus to build around.

Carsen, Haarms, Nojel. IF they all make significant jumps in their play, and 2-3 others, and of course Evan B., either RS guys or Freshmen can get the team aspect down of playing together, this team by the end of the Regular season, could very well be in the Top 3-4 in B1G.
I know I do get dreamin a bit, but we will have better athletes, lacking experience. It will be fun to watch

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
I think it’s less about adding another player than it is about how players currently on the roster improve and / or step up. I agree that we can challenge in the conference if the following happen, in order of importance.

1) Carsen stays and takes his game up another level on defense and in distributing the ball.

2) Eastern and Haarms make big jumps as sophomores.

3) Cline is able to cash in on getting the opportunity for extended minutes and has a solid senior year, averaging 25+ minutes per game and shooting 45% on threes.

4) Boudreaux’s game translates to the Big Ten and he gives us an efficient 10 and 5 in 20 minutes per game.

5) At least one back court and one front court player out of the five newcomers (including redshirts) step up in a big way to give us 15 quality minutes each per game. With Grady and the five above, that allows us to go eight deep.

As long as #1 and #2 occur I think this is an NCAA team. If some of the others fall into place this team could be really salty.

Carsen
Hunter
Wheeler
Boudreaux
Haarms

I could see Painter playing a little offensive defense like he did with Haas and Haarms, except with Nojel and Eric Hunter. Not that Hunter is better offensively, its possible, but maximising Nojels rebounding and defense makes sense the last 5 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT