ADVERTISEMENT

Zach and Tre

You are right...and I agree with pretty much all that you said.

The only caveat I have or would add is that Painter (and any number of other coaches for that matter) have gone to great lengths to talk about the need to have your best players on the floor when it matters at the end...and, others have made the point here already...having Williams on the bench while others were on the floor during crunch time flies directly in the face of that.

I have no idea what it was that apparently did not work when they tried to do this in practice, but, I know that having Williams (or Edey) on the bench while having someone else who has virtually no chance to impact the outcome in a positive fashion just does not make sense if the reason is merely that they play the same position.
Playing two post players together as a possibility has been discussed for years. It’s happened rarely and only for a few minutes. This is not a new discussion. If they did it they should have tried it early against some lesser teams. Not likely to try it against BT teams. Painter has put himself in this box with his inability to recruit an athletic wing who can get to the basket and shoot. None since Edwards. So he trades that spot and goes the BIG Man U route and these questions come up when they overlap a few years…and they are both good.

Playing two post players together as a possibility has been discussed for years. It’s happened rarely and only for a few minutes. This is not a new discussion. If they did it they should have tried it early against some lesser teams. Not likely to try it against BT teams. Painter has put himself in this box with his inability to recruit an athletic wing who can get to the basket and shoot. None since Edwards. So he trades that spot and goes the BIG Man U route and these questions come up when they overlap a few years…and they are both good.
I would contend that TKR is such a guy though...Heide could be as well.

I still think TKR could have (and, in light of things as they stand, would have) made a difference.

Purdue has lost two games. I’m not sure the problems are as big as some want them to be. Could we have better players than IT and Hunter? Sure, I guess so but we don’t and the solution must come from the players we have. IT was hurt and hasn’t been the same since. Hopefully he can get back to shooting at the clip he had been shooting as he will get open looks. I have no issue with Hunter sitting more either.

Purdue just played a game where everything that could do wrong, did. However did you look at the record, it’s just as likely we go in a run than falling off a cliff. We have the pieces to be very good and there is still a chance for this team to do things no other team in Purdue’s history has. I’m sure Painter will work on the problem areas such as defending the best player in the other team as well as rebounds which I think would have us undefeated had they been addressed earlier.
In thinking a bit more about what you said here, the other thing I had meant to bring up was that in both losses, the opponent dictated what Purdue did personnel-wise/line-up-wise opposed to the opposite...something that I am never a fan of...when you have the better team, YOU should be dictating things, not the reverse.

I would contend that TKR is such a guy though...Heide could be as well.

I still think TKR could have (and, in light of things as they stand, would have) made a difference.
Isn't TKR out for the season with an injury he got in practice? So with that in mind, we'd be in the same boat with him.

Isn't TKR out for the season with an injury he got in practice? So with that in mind, we'd be in the same boat with him.
No idea of the status...he was injured after the decision was made to sit out. I don't know the extent of the injury or the prognosis. That decision, at the time, was based on struggling at the defensive end, and, some questions around how much playing time might be available in that it was believed he was competing for minutes with Furst and Gillis.

In hindsight, hard to imagine his struggles were any greater than several guys that are playing at the moment, and, seems now that he would not have competed with those guys directly so much for minutes...he still would have competed for minutes...but, he has a skill set that others do not, and, one that Purdue seemingly is missing.

Irrelevant given the decision that was made and the injury...he was injured during the summer and it cost him some time that was fairly critical as well.

He is very talented and very good and will definitely help Purdue next year...I was only making the point that he was talented enough and good enough to have helped him this year...but, there were things that went into that decision that certainly supported the decision at the time.

No idea of the status...he was injured after the decision was made to sit out. I don't know the extent of the injury or the prognosis. That decision, at the time, was based on struggling at the defensive end, and, some questions around how much playing time might be available in that it was believed he was competing for minutes with Furst and Gillis.

In hindsight, hard to imagine his struggles were any greater than several guys that are playing at the moment, and, seems now that he would not have competed with those guys directly so much for minutes...he still would have competed for minutes...but, he has a skill set that others do not, and, one that Purdue seemingly is missing.

Irrelevant given the decision that was made and the injury...he was injured during the summer and it cost him some time that was fairly critical as well.

He is very talented and very good and will definitely help Purdue next year...I was only making the point that he was talented enough and good enough to have helped him this year...but, there were things that went into that decision that certainly supported the decision at the time.
FWIW- TKR walked past us in Mackey after the Nichols game with a walking boot on.

Yeah, he has had a boot for a couple of weeks now...like say, I never heard what the actual injury is, or, any timeline around it.
I'd have to go back and look but I thought it was one that needed surgery and would of been 'season ending' but very well could be wrong.

What was he doing in Mackey? I would never expect one of our guys to go to an IU game in bloomington..It was winter break I guess.
TKR is Trey Kaufmann-Renn, not Trayce Jackson-Davis...understandable the confusion, but, that is who was being discussed and is in a boot.

That said, Furst worked out with Goode (from Illinois) back home over break, and, I think that is fairly common.

TKR is Trey Kaufmann-Renn, not Trayce Jackson-Davis...understandable the confusion, but, that is who was being discussed and is in a boot.

That said, Furst worked out with Goode (from Illinois) back home over break, and, I think that is fairly common.
Wow that was a blonde moment.

Reactions: DAG10
I'd have to go back and look but I thought it was one that needed surgery and would of been 'season ending' but very well could be wrong.
Trey ended up getting surgery on his foot after his redshirt announcement. He missed a lot of the preseason with a hand injury and I think the foot was a prolonged injury that he could have played with but made more sense to redshirt and get surgery and spend a season recovering and getting into B10 shape

Last edited:
Reactions: TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT