ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday's Play Calling

Apr 18, 2005
Does anyone else suspect that Shoop was not really calling the plays during the first 3 quarters at least? Seems to me he was under director orders from Hazell to run, run, run.......but the extreme of the play calling has my antenna up that something is brewing on the staff front.

As others have posted, the game plan gave them no chance to win....zero. It was clearly a "keep the score respectable" strategy. So what does that tell me in year 3? I'm a bit puzzled frankly. In one sense, it seems like Hazell is looking for a scapegoat in Shoop. Make the offensive numbers looks so bad that the justification is there to fire him during the bye week.

If you call plays that theoretically give you a chance to win, then the score will more likely get out of control.....and then the pressure rises on the AD to serve the head coaches on a platter. As we all know, the AD DOES NOT WHAT TO FIRE HAZELL BECAUSE OF THE MONEY. So what better way to "do something" than purposely create a situation to can the OC. The whole thing feels like a set-up.

That said, Shoop should be fired, but it's starting to feel like the AD and head coach are "maneuvering". It's a sad day when this kind of stuff is more interesting than the product on the field.

I think your conspiracy theory is a little too deep thinking of a pretty simple situation.

Fact is, we suck in the pass game....so we ran it more.

It was a bad strategy and didn't lend itself to a more probable win...but it's what our idiot coaches thought would work and gasp...it didn't...just like everything else they have tried.

That said, you have to think Shoop is a dead man walking at this point. Hard to argue with that after these last few results.

I think your conspiracy theory is a little too deep thinking of a pretty simple situation.

It was a bad strategy and didn't lend itself to a more probable win...but it's what our idiot coaches thought would work and gasp...it didn't...just like everything else they have tried.[/QU

It was a bad strategy and didn't lend itself to a more probable win...but it's what our idiot coaches thought would work and gasp...it didn't...just like everything else they have tried.
You're probably right. As the Brits say I'm being "too smart by half".

Does anyone else suspect that Shoop was not really calling the plays during the first 3 quarters at least? Seems to me he was under director orders from Hazell to run, run, run.......but the extreme of the play calling has my antenna up that something is brewing on the staff front.

As others have posted, the game plan gave them no chance to win....zero. It was clearly a "keep the score respectable" strategy. So what does that tell me in year 3? I'm a bit puzzled frankly. In one sense, it seems like Hazell is looking for a scapegoat in Shoop. Make the offensive numbers looks so bad that the justification is there to fire him during the bye week.

If you call plays that theoretically give you a chance to win, then the score will more likely get out of control.....and then the pressure rises on the AD to serve the head coaches on a platter. As we all know, the AD DOES NOT WHAT TO FIRE HAZELL BECAUSE OF THE MONEY. So what better way to "do something" than purposely create a situation to can the OC. The whole thing feels like a set-up.

That said, Shoop should be fired, but it's starting to feel like the AD and head coach are "maneuvering". It's a sad day when this kind of stuff is more interesting than the product on the field.
Or Hazell and Shoop both had Purdue and the 23.5 points.

Reactions: Redhotfill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT