ADVERTISEMENT

Wuhan Lab leak vs Nature origin

Just in time to tank the US economy leading up to the election.
This is a uniquely American trait: the belief that everything in the world happens because of America or in some way to influence America. We are so convinced of our superiority and importance to everyone else that it borders on absurdity. We are the IU basketball of the world (TIC)!

Reactions: kescwi
Speculation, surmising, lying. The point of this was getting banned from social media. People went on sites and said it came from the lab.......which we STILL don't know is true. If you go on social media and say things that aren't true you can get banned. Not sure why that's hard to understand. If it is proven to be true it still doesn't change what happened at the time.
It isn’t the same thing. Why can’t you just admit that? And isn’t true does not equate with unproven. What was stated then was unproven. It doesn’t mean it was a lie as you’ve stated a few times now.

Why do you blur the lines between truth and speculation?

Unless I missed something,
You did miss something.

People like Senator Cotton said last spring that there wasn't proof yet that it came from the lab, but enough circumstantial evidence that it warranted an investigation. He was called a fringe conspiracy theorist for that statement. The lab leak was always a plausible scenario. Yet the MSM acted like it was a fringe conspiracy theory.

Immediately "news" organizations sprinted to declare that a debunked conspiracy theory (New York Times, WAPO, CNN).

Don't try to rewrite history. Those news organizations lied to the America people, and with very few exceptions didn't even have the intellectual curiosity to investigate one of the biggest stories of their lifetime.

This is a uniquely American trait: the belief that everything in the world happens because of America or in some way to influence America. We are so convinced of our superiority and importance to everyone else that it borders on absurdity. We are the IU basketball of the world (TIC)!
The US has roughly 5% of the worlds population but consumes about 25% of its goods so yeah, a lot of other countries focus on what goes on in the United States and have a vested interest in who runs the country. Not saying that is the case but to discount potential motives is also probably not smart.

The US has roughly 5% of the worlds population but consumes about 25% of its goods so yeah, a lot of other countries focus on what goes on in the United States and have a vested interest in who runs the country. Not saying that is the case but to discount potential motives is also probably not smart.
But according to everyone here, Trump was best for the economy. So why would China want to tank the US economy considering its own economy is heavily reliant on the economic health of the United States? Certainly a healthy US economy is in the best interest of China, as you pointed out above.

And why would China be willing to spread a virus that's killed tens of millions of people in other countries besides the US, including China itself, all to take down China... especially since someday we will actually learn where the virus came from. Or do you assume that China believes China can keep such a biological attack covered up for all time and get away with it while achieving global economic hegemony (which they haven't) because of it?

It's certainly an interesting theory. I can see why you'd be attracted to it.

But according to everyone here, Trump was best for the economy. So why would China want to tank the US economy considering its own economy is heavily reliant on the economic health of the United States? Certainly a healthy US economy is in the best interest of China, as you pointed out above.

And why would China be willing to spread a virus that's killed tens of millions of people in other countries besides the US, including China itself, all to take down China... especially since someday we will actually learn where the virus came from. Or do you assume that China believes China can keep such a biological attack covered up for all time and get away with it while achieving global economic hegemony (which they haven't) because of it?

It's certainly an interesting theory. I can see why you'd be attracted to it.
Does the word “Tariff” ring a bell? It’s not necessarily the health of our economy that’s important to someone like China, it’s the ability of them to exploit it by sending all their cheap shit over here with little to no import tax that is appealing to them. Trump called them on this and was harder on them, economically, than any President in recent history. He tried to stop China and the rest of the world from bleeding the US dry and using the US as the worlds cash cow, which apparently you’re okay with?
You can keep taking shots but you were also one that slammed people for suggesting the lab theory was plausible so you’ve proven pretty unreliable on the topic.
And did you really ask if China is willing to sacrifice some of its own populace to further its agenda? You’re joking, right?

Does the word “Tariff” ring a bell? It’s not necessarily the health of our economy that’s important to someone like China, it’s the ability of them to exploit it by sending all their cheap shit over here with little to no import tax that is appealing to them. Trump called them on this and was harder on them, economically, than any President in recent history. He tried to stop China and the rest of the world from bleeding the US dry and using the US as the worlds cash cow, which apparently you’re okay with?
You can keep taking shots but you were also one that slammed people for suggesting the lab theory was plausible so you’ve proven pretty unreliable on the topic.
And did you really ask if China is willing to sacrifice some of its own populace to further its agenda? You’re joking, right?
Tariff was exactly what I was thinking about. Those do as much harm to US consumers as they do to the Chinese. There’s a reason they fell out of favor like 100 years ago.

So I have this straight,‘it is your contention that China purposefully released a virus that has killed tens of millions and tables the entire global economy including their own, only to see the US recover faster than anyone (which was predictable!) all because they were fearful of four more years of a Donald Trump presidency.

Do I have that correct?

The goofy thing here is that the Chinese would rather the world think them evil geniuses capable of releasing a virus that defeats the entire world than to have the truth be that they simply mishandled a virus in a lab or their third-world culture in remote parts of the country led to this.

Communism feeds on the belief of the people that the government is both legitimate and absolutely in control and looking out for the bests interests of its people/the State. There is little more damaging to a communist regime than the appearance of ineptitude. China would do everything it could to cover up a lab leak - that much is certain - including potentially fabricating stories that make them look like a global agressor to their own people. Falsify statistics of the impact of the virus on China, and show their people how they controlled it while the rest of the world bent to the virus. That is 100% in China’s PR wheelhouse.

You did miss something.

People like Senator Cotton said last spring that there wasn't proof yet that it came from the lab, but enough circumstantial evidence that it warranted an investigation. He was called a fringe conspiracy theorist for that statement. The lab leak was always a plausible scenario. Yet the MSM acted like it was a fringe conspiracy theory.

Immediately "news" organizations sprinted to declare that a debunked conspiracy theory (New York Times, WAPO, CNN).

Don't try to rewrite history. Those news organizations lied to the America people, and with very few exceptions didn't even have the intellectual curiosity to investigate one of the biggest stories of their lifetime.
And now the WAPO "fact checker" trying to rewrite history. This is the same "fact checker" that did a hit piece on Senator Scott because his great grandparents owned land. Literally more intellectual curiosity about Senator Scott great grandparents (just days before Scott was set to deliver the republican response to state of union)......than the biggest story of our generation (Covid 19 pandemic). Why is that?

Tariff was exactly what I was thinking about. Those do as much harm to US consumers as they do to the Chinese. There’s a reason they fell out of favor like 100 years ago.

So I have this straight,‘it is your contention that China purposefully released a virus that has killed tens of millions and tables the entire global economy including their own, only to see the US recover faster than anyone (which was predictable!) all because they were fearful of four more years of a Donald Trump presidency.

Do I have that correct?
Tariffs incentivize US consumers to buy domestic by raising the price of imported cheap shit. I’d much rather pay a little more to support US workers than the Chinese, apparently you wouldn’t.
I have no idea if that’s what happened, I’m just saying to discount the Chinese and their potential motives is negligent in my opinion. They put their own people in forced labor camps so if that isn’t proof they are willing to sacrifice fractions of their populace, then I’m not sure what else you need to see. And you think China gives a rats ass about the rest of the world, outside of how they can exploit it? If the US economy tanks, Americans have less money, which mean they’re more likely to buy cheap Chinese shit, therefore boosting the Chinese economy. It’s really not that complicated of a concept.

Tariffs incentivize US consumers to buy domestic by raising the price of imported cheap shit. I’d much rather pay a little more to support US workers than the Chinese, apparently you wouldn’t.
You must be in support of a minimum wage increase for US workers then?

I have no idea if that’s what happened, I’m just saying to discount the Chinese and their potential motives is negligent in my opinion. They put their own people in forced labor camps so if that isn’t proof they are willing to sacrifice fractions of their populace, then I’m not sure what else you need to see. And you think China gives a rats ass about the rest of the world, outside of how they can exploit it? If the US economy tanks, Americans have less money, which mean they’re more likely to buy cheap Chinese shit, therefore boosting the Chinese economy. It’s really not that complicated of a concept.
It’s actually exceedingly complicated. That’s just it. You have to believe the Chinese are evil geniuses capable of pulling this off (and they failed anyway as I said- the US economy is far and away recovering faster than anyone else’s). The Chinese are not ten feet tall.

The accidental mishandling of the virus leaked from the lab is plausible. You have to make a lot of fantastical leaps of logic to believe the Chinese intentionally did this.

The Chinese want to be relevant, legitimate, and accepted as a power on the world stage. Purposefully killing tens of millions of people - especially when you are at best a regional military power - isn’t a way to do that. Communist China is not Nazi Germany. If you told me the North Koreans did this, I’d be more inclined to believe that.

The goofy thing here is that the Chinese would rather the world think them evil geniuses capable of releasing a virus that defeats the entire world than to have the truth be that they simply mishandled a virus in a lab or their third-world culture in remote parts of the country led to this.

You are starting to see the light. Their crime against humanity was covering up the lab leak, lying about it and letting the world suffer because of it.

Reactions: purduepat1969
It’s actually exceedingly complicated. That’s just it. You have to believe the Chinese are evil geniuses capable of pulling this off (and they failed anyway as I said- the US economy is far and away recovering faster than anyone else’s). The Chinese are not ten feet tall.

The accidental mishandling of the virus leaked from the lab is plausible. You have to make a lot of fantastical leaps of logic to believe the Chinese intentionally did this.

The Chinese want to be relevant, legitimate, and accepted as a power on the world stage. Purposefully killing tens of millions of people - especially when you are at best a regional military power - isn’t a way to do that. Communist China is not Nazi Germany. If you told me the North Koreans did this, I’d be more inclined to believe that.
They are more than just a "regional military power". Why do you think they're expanding their influence in the South China Sea, South America, and Africa. In other words, they're expanding everywhere they know Europeans and US have less influence.

Reactions: jrcrist
My position on this hasn’t changed one bit...
So you're still a batman? Regardless of intent or even virus origin, China owes the world full transparency and cooperation on this matter They should be cut out of international organizations for their failure to act responsibly and honestly.

Reactions: ecouch
So you're still a batman? Regardless of intent or even virus origin, China owes the world full transparency and cooperation on this matter They should be cut out of international organizations for their failure to act responsibly and honestly.
I don’t know if it came from a bat or not, but I still think the virus is natural and came from animals to humans. I’m hardly alone in that. As I said, show me some actual evidence supporting another theory and I’m open to changing that. For now, I’ll stick with the same cause as every other pandemic-like outbreak we’ve seen.

They are more than just a "regional military power". Why do you think they're expanding their influence in the South China Sea, South America, and Africa. In other words, they're expanding everywhere they know Europeans and US have less influence.

The point is that to believe that China purposefully released this virus, you have to ignore Chinese foreign policy goals and believe that they just don’t GAF about perception and that they’re just going to do whatever to achieve power and dare someone to stop them in a similar fashion to the Nazis.

The Chinese know they don’t have the military might to back that kind of plan up right now.

The point is that to believe that China purposefully released this virus, you have to ignore Chinese foreign policy goals and believe that they just don’t GAF about perception and that they’re just going to do whatever to achieve power and dare someone to stop them in a similar fashion to the Nazis.

The Chinese know they don’t have the military might to back that kind of plan up right now.
It could be that they thought this was a way to displace Trump from office and hurt the US economy. (Check and check) They have a stated goal to become the preeminent superpower in the world. What better way to take down the US than to get us all shut up in our houses and tearing each other apart in a highly-divisive political campaign.

Well they have the concentration camps down. This is an hour long episode from the well respected series Frontline on PBS made at the beginning of 2020. The mass surveillance they have on their Muslim population is frightening and the lengths they’ll go to control and indoctrinate them is sickening. More people need to know truth of the lies and coverups that go on in China. They are a one party nation that will protect that party at all costs and will silence any critics. Sound familiar?

It could be that they thought this was a way to displace Trump from office and hurt the US economy. (Check and check) They have a stated goal to become the preeminent superpower in the world. What better way to take down the US than to get us all shut up in our houses and tearing each other apart in a highly-divisive political campaign.
The best way to take down the US would have been Trump remaining as President.

Again, go back to what I wrote about Americans thinking everything has to do with America. Of all the implausible ideas about this, the MOST implausible is that China released a virus that killed tens of millions of people worldwide in order to displace Donald Trump and ruin the US economy.

It ruined everyone's economy, including China's, and no one's economy has responded as strongly as the US, which was predictable. So THAT was an abject failure, yet you said (check). OK....

It's an utterly idiotic theory that just demonstrates complete ignorance of what the Chinese actually want - again, legitimacy, recognition, an unquestioned place on the world stage and hegemony over the Pacific and most of Asia. If they did this intentionally, they would know it would be uncovered eventually, and it would lead to their ruin because unlike Nazi Germany, they don't have the military wherewithal to fight the entire planet.

Spend more than two seconds thinking, for ****'s sake. Then again, I expect people who love Donald Trump and believe him to be the second coming of the Christ to also believe that China was so afraid of him that they would be willing to murder millions of people to ensure they didn't have to deal with just four more years of his "leadership."

Which, of course, flies in the face of the fact that China would be scared to death of the American response under Trump, because Trump had them quaking in their boots... so much so that they released a biological weapon on the entire planet that everyone knew came from China.

Heck, maybe they thought Trump would declare himself Supreme Leader for Life if he won a second term. You never know.

Or maybe you guys are just conflating China with North Korea. I don't know. What I do know is that if you truly believe this, then you are a bigger ****ing idiot than even I give you credit for.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
Well they have the concentration camps down. This is an hour long episode from the well respected series Frontline on PBS made at the beginning of 2020. The mass surveillance they have on their Muslim population is frightening and the lengths they’ll go to control and indoctrinate them is sickening. More people need to know truth of the lies and coverups that go on in China. They are a one party nation that will protect that party at all costs and will silence any critics. Sound familiar?

Absolutely it does.

And when Germany was rising under the third Reich they were the unquestioned military power in Europe and probably the entire world. China is the biggest dude on the block in Asia, but, um, THEY don't even think they're militarily superior to the US, NATO, and Russia.

The Nazis did what they did because they knew they could get away with it and didn't give **** all if anyone found out because no one could stop it. China ain't that, and they very much want to be legitimately respected on the global level.

Again, go back to what I wrote about Americans thinking everything has to do with America. Of all the implausible ideas about this, the MOST implausible is that China released a virus that killed tens of millions of people worldwide in order to displace Donald Trump and ruin the US economy.

It ruined everyone's economy, including China's, and no one's economy has responded as strongly as the US, which was predictable. So THAT was an abject failure, yet you said (check). OK....

It's an utterly idiotic theory that just demonstrates complete ignorance of what the Chinese actually want - again, legitimacy, recognition, an unquestioned place on the world stage and hegemony over the Pacific and most of Asia. If they did this intentionally, they would know it would be uncovered eventually, and it would lead to their ruin because unlike Nazi Germany, they don't have the military wherewithal to fight the entire planet.

Spend more than two seconds thinking, for ****'s sake. Then again, I expect people who love Donald Trump and believe him to be the second coming of the Christ to also believe that China was so afraid of him that they would be willing to murder millions of people to ensure they didn't have to deal with just four more years of his "leadership."

Which, of course, flies in the face of the fact that China would be scared to death of the American response under Trump, because Trump had them quaking in their boots... so much so that they released a biological weapon on the entire planet that everyone knew came from China.

Heck, maybe they thought Trump would declare himself Supreme Leader for Life if he won a second term. You never know.

Or maybe you guys are just conflating China with North Korea. I don't know. What I do know is that if you truly believe this, then you are a bigger ****ing idiot than even I give you credit for.
I didn't say this. And once again you go hyperbolic in your reaction. I've said many times before that I don't know what happened here and why. We just have little snippets of information on this, although slowly more is coming out. I think it's entirely possible that China weaponized a naturally-occurring virus (maybe originally found in bats or pangolins), but we don't know they did this. Perhaps there was a mishap at the Wuhan facility and it accidentally got transmitted into the public. We just don't know yet.

I will say this. China is increasingly becoming more aggressive and thin-skinned in its reactions to negative press of any kind, whether from inside China or outside of China. They seem to take no responsibility for anything anymore, if it's negative or they perceive it to be negative. I think China knows what happened in Wuhan and may have covered up the truth. Again, we don't know for sure.

Reactions: ecouch
Absolutely it does.

And when Germany was rising under the third Reich they were the unquestioned military power in Europe and probably the entire world. China is the biggest dude on the block in Asia, but, um, THEY don't even think they're militarily superior to the US, NATO, and Russia.

The Nazis did what they did because they knew they could get away with it and didn't give **** all if anyone found out because no one could stop it. China ain't that, and they very much want to be legitimately respected on the global level.
Are you Chinese by any chance?

Reactions: jrcrist
I didn't say this. And once again you go hyperbolic in your reaction. I've said many times before that I don't know what happened here and why. We just have little snippets of information on this, although slowly more is coming out. I think it's entirely possible that China weaponized a naturally-occurring virus (maybe originally found in bats or pangolins), but we don't know they did this. Perhaps there was a mishap at the Wuhan facility and it accidentally got transmitted into the public. We just don't know yet.

I will say this. China is increasingly becoming more aggressive and thin-skinned in its reactions to negative press of any kind, whether from inside China or outside of China. They seem to take no responsibility for anything anymore, if it's negative or they perceive it to be negative. I think China knows what happened in Wuhan and may have covered up the truth. Again, we don't know for sure.
So your habit is to say things you don’t think just as hypotheticals, then completely abandon them when pressed?

Lab leak? Plausible.

Weaponized, man-made virus? Pretty crappy weapon (Trumpers who would favor this theory also say COVID is no big deal), very unlikely.

Weaponized and purposefully released to rid themselves of Trump? Implausible to the point of utter absurdity.

If you think that, then just say it, rather than present it as a plausible hypothesis. It doesn’t make you appear very intelligent to present hypotheses that are founded in ignorance and can be taken down after about two seconds of rational thought.

So your habit is to say things you don’t think just as hypotheticals, then completely abandon them when pressed?

Lab leak? Plausible.

Weaponized, man-made virus? Pretty crappy weapon (Trumpers who would favor this theory also say COVID is no big deal), very unlikely.

Weaponized and purposefully released to rid themselves of Trump? Implausible to the point of utter absurdity.

If you think that, then just say it, rather than present it as a plausible hypothesis. It doesn’t make you appear very intelligent to present hypotheses that are founded in ignorance and can be taken down after about two seconds of rational thought.
You tell people you aren't a liberal and it doesnt get any more implausible than that. You seem to have an immense amount of faith in China for some strange reason.

Lab leak? Plausible.

Weaponized virus? Pretty crappy weapon (Trumpers who would favor this theory also say COVID is no big deal), very unlikely.

If you think that, then just say it, rather than present it as a plausible hypothesis.
How many times do I have to say it? I don’t know what happened. Neither do you.

If China actually did have this release into the public and then tried to cover it up, they should be held accountable. With spineless jellyfish-type of organizations like WHO and the UN, I highly doubt they will be.

How many times do I have to say it? I don’t know what happened. Neither do you.

If China actually did have this release into the public and then tried to cover it up, they should be held accountable. With spineless jellyfish-type of organizations like WHO and the UN, I highly doubt they will be.
Never said I know what happened. But I can make reasonable assumptions about what DIDN’T happen.

You tell people you aren't a liberal and it doesnt get any more implausible than that. You seem to have an immense amount of faith in China for some strange reason.
Zero faith in China, but I understand their foreign and military policy goals better than everyone on this message board, not because I’m smart, but because I was routinely exposed to intel and policy discussion about China for most of the last ten years.

Some of the conspiracies people are accusing them of are completely contradictory to their goals. This being one of them.

Never said I know what happened. But I can make reasonable assumptions about what DIDN’T happen.
If you have to assume, then you don’t know what actually happened. So it’s preposterous to say something didn’t happen, when you, I, almost nobody knows for sure except China, and they aren’t saying and they are also trying to limit access to groups like the WHO from finding out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT