ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Purdue sit with Rob Phinesse?

No it isn't it's looking at it realistically. Are there things CMP can do better? I am sure, but that still doesn't change the fact that in the end, the player makes the decision.

Well there are 7 guys pictured listed here on the 2018 EARLY watch list......

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/watch-list-purdue-2018-targets
and 7 other guys listed as also being watched/offered.

Unlike last year's class, where CMP landed 1 guy from the early watch list........ let's hope these player decisions you speak of, are a higher % than 1 guy (Eastern) who went from the EARLY watch list in 2017 to being committed Boilers.

Reactions: nagemj02
http://www.jconline.com/story/sport...ns-phinisee-not-your-normal-player/100710702/

All my IU friends are posting the heck out of this J&C article. They think they've got him and extremely proud of it. Exactly what I feared. “He is the best player I’ve ever coached,” McCutcheon Coach Peckinpaugh of 32 years.
You can keep trying to push it all you want, but none of this changes that he isn't a 'must get' for us nor if he doesn't come to Purdue it isn't a problem with the program.

And using IU as pin in the agenda, just shows how much you're over-selling it.

You can keep trying to push it all you want, but none of this changes that he isn't a 'must get' for us nor if he doesn't come to Purdue it isn't a problem with the program.

And using IU as pin in the agenda, just shows how much you're over-selling it.
I grew up in Lafayette. Best player at McCutcheon is like saying you are the best team in the MEAC.

I still hope Painter lands him. I'm not pushing anything as much as this is a current event. And, I'm not pushing this any more than you're minimizing the importance of getting him. Which, again, is fine. I'm using the IU pin to show that exactly what I feared is happening. He's being touted and if they get him, they'll parade it as a huge victory. You two don't see this as a problem, I however do. And, him being the best player ever at McCutcheon says nothing in relation to any other program, player or league. It's just a quote from a actual basketball "Authority". Been there 32 years. Him being the best ever, stands alone.

I still hope Painter lands him. I'm not pushing anything as much as this is a current event. And, I'm not pushing this any more than you're minimizing the importance of getting him. Which, again, is fine. I'm using the IU pin to show that exactly what I feared is happening. He's being touted and if they get him, they'll parade it as a huge victory. You two don't see this as a problem, I however do. And, him being the best player ever at McCutcheon says nothing in relation to any other program, player or league. It's just a quote from a actual basketball "Authority". Been there 32 years. Him being the best ever, stands alone.
Who will parade it as a huge victory? Are you saying Archie will use the signing to talk down Purdue with other recruits?
Or are you saying your IU buddies will give you a hard time about it?
If IU gets Rob the battle for state recruits will continue........and if Archie starts getting all the Indiana studs it won't be because he got Rob Phinesse.

Who will parade it as a huge victory? Are you saying Archie will use the signing to talk down Purdue with other recruits?
Or are you saying your IU buddies will give you a hard time about it?
If IU gets Rob the battle for state recruits will continue........and if Archie starts getting all the Indiana studs it won't be because he got Rob Phinesse.

Oh geez. Really? Who do you think "who" is? The Chinese government? And, yeah, I'm so worried my buddies will give me grief. What's up with the dumbass questions and subtle insults? I'll answer, your position is weak sauce and you struggle putting together a better point. LOL

If IU fans are parading the commitment of the #122 ranked player in his class, that's a pretty damning indictment of how far that program has fallen.

Reactions: TC4THREE
If IU fans are parading the commitment of the #122 ranked player in his class, that's a pretty damning indictment of how far that program has fallen.

No. The #1 PG in the state and best player in 32 years at McCutcheon. And, "not" being able to land the #122 ranked player, that you offered and came from your town would be more damning.

Last time I checked college is a guards game. That would be an awesome class. CMP plays 3 guards alot.....hss played 4 guards too at times.

By 2018 you have at least Haarms, Wheeler, Ewing to play as well as Eastern who is a versatile 6-6 so as long as you add a 6-8+ grad transfer for depth you are good to go.

Not ideal as far as roster balance for sure.....but as far as talent.......put Romeo with anybody = flat out awesome.
Romeo + anything is a tourney team.
Romeo + decent roster is a S16 team

Romeo + anything is a tourney team.
Romeo + decent roster is a S16 team

If Painter signs Romeo, Carmody, Anderson, Nance it would be a top 5 class. Purdue would also have the floor as an elite 8 expectation with a chance at a final four or better. Sub out Romeo for Phinisee or Hunter and it is still a top 15-20 class with the floor at a sweet 16 expectation. I don't know that we get Romeo, but if we can land Carmody, Anderson, Nance and another top 100 guard it would lessen missing one of the best players coming out of Indiana in a long time.

Oh geez. Really? Who do you think "who" is? The Chinese government? And, yeah, I'm so worried my buddies will give me grief. What's up with the dumbass questions and subtle insults? I'll answer, your position is weak sauce and you struggle putting together a better point. LOL
Excuse me for trying to get your point.........but I'm trying to understand the practical application of your argument. I'm trying to understand how.....and why......IU would "parade it as a huge victory".

If IU or N.D. get Rob, you think Archie or Brey will use that against us with the next common recruit? "Go with us, don't go to Purdue.......Painter couldn't even get Phinesse to go there". Why is the recruit going to give a damn about what happened with Rob Phiniesse? He's going to go to the best situation for him. He's thinking about how soon he can play, how many minutes, how he can become a better player and get to the NBA. He's going to base his opinion of Painter on his own experience with Matt.
My experience with recruiting is far less than some here, and they can straighten me out, but from what I've seen Miller or Brey is selling the recruit on how he can prosper by going to IU or ND......... pointing out the positives and telling the kid how they're going to use him and help him succeed. I know there have been coaches that used negative recruiting against other schools but it usually involved playing time or style of play.........not because they didn't sign a hometown player.

Point is, Archie Miller has a hell of a lot better methods to sell a recruit on IU............and better things to do.......... than arguing against Purdue because Painter didn't land a local kid.
Seems to me your parade is going to come from the fan bases and little else. Feel free to call me a dumbass again......as long as you actually explain how this actually hurts Purdue in the real world.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Excuse me for trying to get your point.........but I'm trying to understand the practical application of your argument. I'm trying to understand how.....and why......IU would "parade it as a huge victory".

If IU or N.D. get Rob, you think Archie or Brey will use that against us with the next common recruit? "Go with us, don't go to Purdue.......Painter couldn't even get Phinesse to go there". Why is the recruit going to give a damn about what happened with Rob Phiniesse? He's going to go to the best situation for him. He's thinking about how soon he can play, how many minutes, how he can become a better player and get to the NBA. He's going to base his opinion of Painter on his own experience with Matt.
My experience with recruiting is far less than some here, and they can straighten me out, but from what I've seen Miller or Brey is selling the recruit on how he can prosper by going to IU or ND......... pointing out the positives and telling the kid how they're going to use him and help him succeed. I know there have been coaches that used negative recruiting against other schools but it usually involved playing time or style of play.........not because they didn't sign a hometown player.

Point is, Archie Miller has a hell of a lot better methods to sell a recruit on IU............and better things to do.......... than arguing against Purdue because Painter didn't land a local kid.
Seems to me your parade is going to come from the fan bases and little else. Feel free to call me a dumbass again......as long as you actually explain how this actually hurts Purdue in the real world.

Now how hard was that to ask an actual honest and respectful question? I think absolutely that a recruit on the fence or naive could be swayed by many things. One of which could be, "come play for me, I'm closing the boarder in this state" or " I'm putting together a Championship team and I went into Purdue country and landed Phinisee" or, "nobody believes what Painter is doing in West Lafayette, even Phinisee wouldn't stay in town". Seriously, any number of verbal gymnastics and hyperbole may swing future recruits. And, who are you to say what Miller has better to do than brag about stealing a recruit out from under the #1 rival? And, I promise, I'll never call you a dumbass if you respect my opinion and stop with the insults. You don't have to agree. Just stay on topic and counter my position like an adult. I'm not here to troll, just put my thoughts out and have an honest and spirited discussion.

Has anyone seen Aaron Henry play? From the youtube clips, it looks like he is a great athlete, defender, slasher with pretty good ball skills. Lots of potential
I saw Aaron play against Kris Wilkes and North Central during regular season and Aaron really impressed me because I knew nothing about him and I went to game to focus on Wilkes and NC but Aaron just looked like a complete player (Wilkes is very slight build and will need more strength at next level). BD coach is really good and you could see he was bringing Aaron along and though BD lost that game, it was apparent that they were not far off and that Henry was star in the making. Very complete game - physically impresssive and very skilled. Probably fits well in the increasingly popular "wing oriented" college game. Will be fun to see how big a step he makes in his development into his Sr year.

Now how hard was that to ask an actual honest and respectful question? I think absolutely that a recruit on the fence or naive could be swayed by many things. One of which could be, "come play for me, I'm closing the boarder in this state" or " I'm putting together a Championship team and I went into Purdue country and landed Phinisee" or, "nobody believes what Painter is doing in West Lafayette, even Phinisee wouldn't stay in town". Seriously, any number of verbal gymnastics and hyperbole may swing future recruits. And, who are you to say what Miller has better to do than brag about stealing a recruit out from under the #1 rival? And, I promise, I'll never call you a dumbass if you respect my opinion and stop with the insults. You don't have to agree. Just stay on topic and counter my position like an adult. I'm not here to troll, just put my thoughts out and have an honest and spirited discussion.
I didn't insult you in the post, I asked essentially the same question........directly on topic. You said "they" will parade it as a huge victory..........while you're talking about your IU friends. Didn't know if you meant your friends or the IU staff. You chose to insult.
Closing the border in Indiana is very unrealistic these days, don't see it happening in these times of national recruiting. A program would have to start winning national championships before it could have a shot at dominating the state. Please tell me how many schools in the country own their state in recruiting.

As I said, there are posters here that are much more in tune with the current recruiting climate than I. If they tell me the coach at IU could be out there trashing Painter because he couldn't get a local recruit, I'll believe them. If they say a future recruit will care that Painter didn't lock up a local guy, I'll take their word. But as of now, I think it will mean a lot more on an IU message board than in a gym or recruit's home.

Reactions: BBG
LMAO this is great. I hadn't viewed this thread for a quite some time and came back quickly for the curiosity of why it was dragging out this long. Here I find out that this kid is a "must" for our program simply because he's a local kid with an offer and not landing him would signal a "problem".

Well, you are entitled to THAT opinion but MY opinion is that anyone with that opinion is a fool.

Who are some of the players to come out of McCutcheon?
His response will be crickets so I'll share this.

In the Rivals era (since 2002), only three McCutcheon players have warranted even having profiles created:
  • Robert Phinisee
  • Avery Sheets - Unranked 2002 guard who played for Butler (before Butler was Butler)
  • Michael Teller - Unranked 2006 forward who played for Lipscomb

In the Rivals era (since 2002), only three McCutcheon players have warranted even having profiles created:
  • Robert Phinisee
  • Avery Sheets - Unranked 2002 guard who played for Butler (before Butler was Butler)
I have followed Butler Basketball for years and years. Try this on for size. If Avery Sheets doesnt hit the shot to win the Horizon league championship Butler doesnt make the NCAA tourney. If they dont make the tourney they dont make the sweet 16. If they dont make the sweet 16 Todd Licklighter doesnt go to Iowa. If Licklighter doesnt go to Iowa Brad Stevens isnt the coach at Butler. The rest is history.So you might make an argument that Sheets hit the biggest shot in Butler history.

Painter still recruiting Phinisee -as well as a host of others. Reported CMP was in Dallas this weekend to see Phinisee, Henry, Hunter, Carmody, and the like. Now which is a priority? Glad CMP is still recruiting all hard.

I have followed Butler Basketball for years and years. Try this on for size. If Avery Sheets doesnt hit the shot to win the Horizon league championship Butler doesnt make the NCAA tourney. If they dont make the tourney they dont make the sweet 16. If they dont make the sweet 16 Todd Licklighter doesnt go to Iowa. If Licklighter doesnt go to Iowa Brad Stevens isnt the coach at Butler. The rest is history.So you might make an argument that Sheets hit the biggest shot in Butler history.

The only time Butler made the NCAA Tournament while Sheets was there was in '02-'03. That season, they lost to Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the Horizon League Tournament.

Painter still recruiting Phinisee -as well as a host of others. Reported CMP was in Dallas this weekend to see Phinisee, Henry, Hunter, Carmody, and the like. Now which is a priority? Glad CMP is still recruiting all hard.
I read that Carmody and Archie Miller have known each other for a long time. Would be a slap in the face if IU ended up with Phinesse & Carmody.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
The only time Butler made the NCAA Tournament while Sheets was there was in '02-'03. That season, they lost to Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the Horizon League Tournament.
If I recall he hit the shot to win the regular season title. If they dont win that in my opinion they dont get an at large bid.

If I recall he hit the shot to win the regular season title. If they dont win that in my opinion they dont get an at large bid.

On March 1, 2003 Avery Sheets hits arguably the greatest shot in Butler history. In a battle for first place, Sheets shot help defeat Milwaukee on the final regular season game of the year and Butler claimed its 4th consecutive Horizon League Title. This game was played in front of Butler's first Pro-Butler crowd sellout in many decades.

This game helped propel the Bulldogs to its first at-large bid and a spot in the 2003 NCAA Tournament, where Butler made its first Sweet Sixteen appearance in the modern day tournament format.

gotcha

When you wrote "Horizon league championship", I assumed that you were referring to the Horizon League Tournament as opposed to regular season conference play.

On March 1, 2003 Avery Sheets hits arguably the greatest shot in Butler history. In a battle for first place, Sheets shot help defeat Milwaukee on the final regular season game of the year and Butler claimed its 4th consecutive Horizon League Title. This game was played in front of Butler's first Pro-Butler crowd sellout in many decades.

This game helped propel the Bulldogs to its first at-large bid and a spot in the 2003 NCAA Tournament, where Butler made its first Sweet Sixteen appearance in the modern day tournament format.

I don't know why, but when I watched this, I was reminded of the celebration for the "Miracle of Richfield," circa 1976.

I saw Aaron play against Kris Wilkes and North Central during regular season and Aaron really impressed me because I knew nothing about him and I went to game to focus on Wilkes and NC but Aaron just looked like a complete player (Wilkes is very slight build and will need more strength at next level). BD coach is really good and you could see he was bringing Aaron along and though BD lost that game, it was apparent that they were not far off and that Henry was star in the making. Very complete game - physically impresssive and very skilled. Probably fits well in the increasingly popular "wing oriented" college game. Will be fun to see how big a step he makes in his development into his Sr year.

Thanks for the insight. It's always appreciated.

Figured I would share especially for those who didn't listen.

Start around the 17 minute mark - Brian addresses a question related to Musa Jallow and Robert Phinisee and their recruitment.

• Robert Phinisee

Jason Horn was a star. But went to UM on a football scholarship.

A question to put forth! Would Painter's recruiting be better if had hired an AAU coach or Jordan's dad or the la lum coach instead of an assistant coach making a lateral move? As in a package deal? Package deals are legal and many other top schools follow that route!

A question to put forth! Would Painter's recruiting be better if had hired an AAU coach or Jordan's dad or the la lum coach instead of an assistant coach making a lateral move? As in a package deal? Package deals are legal and many other top schools follow that route!
hoping for Hunter

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT