ADVERTISEMENT

Where are the riots

Your premise that my premise holds children accountable for the 'sins' of their parents is not valid. Can you show otherwise?

I am not seeking to find blame, just ideas for better outcomes. If I were seeking to assign blame, the first place I would look is government programs that make people think they are dependent and victims. I would never blame children for that. I think you just made that up. Did you?
At no point did I suggest you blame children. But, if a child's chance for success is determined by the parents' decision to marry or not to marry, then the consequences of said decision are necessarily visited upon the children. In such a circumstance, it would be necessary to help people get out of a cycle of poverty they had no choice but to participate in. You're arguing for the "personal responsibility" of marriage before kids, but the scenario you've presented results in generations of black people who are poor specifically because of someone else's decision.

Also, there is little evidence that government assistance programs create dependence and, in fact, compelling evidence that suggests reliable assistance is a springboard to financial stability.

At no point did I suggest you blame children. But, if a child's chance for success is determined by the parents' decision to marry or not to marry, then the consequences of said decision are necessarily visited upon the children. In such a circumstance, it would be necessary to help people get out of a cycle of poverty they had no choice but to participate in. You're arguing for the "personal responsibility" of marriage before kids, but the scenario you've presented results in generations of black people who are poor specifically because of someone else's decision.

Also, there is little evidence that government assistance programs create dependence and, in fact, compelling evidence that suggests reliable assistance is a springboard to financial stability.
I want them to get out of the cycle of poverty they had no choice but to participate in - for themselves and for their own children.

Not having children until parents are settled and able to raise them responsibly is one way to help that happen for many people, not just blacks, don't you agree?

And that should be pretty easy to accomplish with modern birth control techniques, right? What is preventing that from happening in many black (and white) families? If there is a government program for that, it is not working, is it?

I want them to get out of the cycle of poverty they had no choice but to participate in - for themselves and for their own children.

Not having children until parents are settled and able to raise them responsibly is one way to help that happen for many people, not just blacks, don't you agree?

And that should be pretty easy to accomplish with modern birth control techniques, right? What is preventing that from happening in many black (and white) families? If there is a government program for that, it is not working, is it?
Here, in large part, we agree. However, two people having a child before they're ready shouldn't have to doom the child to remaining poor. Helping poor people, regardless of race, to be able to reach that point of financial stability is how we help their kids.

Also, birth control is sometimes not effective. People can do everything right and still end up with an unplanned pregnancy.

Anyway, I appreciate the civil discussion. We'd likely not agree on the means by which we as a society help lift people out of poverty, but at least it appears we agree that it's not poor people's own fault that they are poor (at least in a majority of cases). I'll excuse myself from the discussion at this point and leave with something I KNOW we can both agree on, here's hoping for a better effort from the football team on Friday!

Reactions: Riveting
Again, you misquote me. I never said that blacks should vote only Democrat. I’ve always said that blacks should not vote for President Slick because he is a racist and white supremacist.

And any blacks who voted for Trump are Sambos and Gumbos. Correct?

What advantages did you arrive with that US-born blacks do not have?

A two-parent household, for example, would be a major advantage over blacks and others who grow up in a single-parent home. Is that what you mean?

over 70% of black children are born to single mothers. That’s your cultural problems my friends.
I doubt any of you will say it’s not the major problem because you’re afraid to tell black people what their problems are.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Yep, atmafola is absolutely correct. Black immigrants aren't culturally conditioned to be inferior. As a black American I can remember countless stories, particularly of older blacks throughout the years that their junior and high school teachers/counselors have told them that they will not succeed in college and discourage them from taking college prep courses. During Jim Crow, blacks could not even attend the local PUBLIC schools just because of their skin color. Because of this cultural conditioning, white is superior/Black is inferior, society as a whole including lighter skinned blacks throughout the years have shunned darker skinned blacks. They have straightened their hair. This is one of the reasons that you see a lot of black women running around with blonde hair. Black women in the US military are having fits trying to comply with the military hair standards. All this to satisfy the so called European standard of beauty. One can say that they have black friends but if you are not black, you may not understand this. If you do have black friends, ask them about this. If they are 40 or 45 years and older, they should be able to corroborate what I'm saying. Most people are not aware of this but I can tell you this is real.

Wow BNI,it’s disappointing that as a seemingly educated Purdue grad, you’ve bought so deeply into the story of victimhood for black people.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I stopped reading most of your threads after you slunk away and hid after that economic claim you could not back up.

But fine, here you have said, "But it by itself nowhere explains everything or much. At best, we can say it probably is contributing to how things are. There are still many other issues."

On what basis can you claim that the one-parent statistics "nowhere explains...much", to use your awkward phrasing? Isn't the 'issue' that really needs to be explained is why so many black families are of the single-parent type?

Or does the narrative you are so invested in prefer to avoid that issue because the answers may have something to do with individual responsibility ?

the issue is that white liberals certainly won’t raise the issue of single parenthood for fear of offending a powerful voting block and blacks in a position of power, like Obama won’t because they will be seen as betraying their race.

Its become acceptable in black society to have babies out of wedlock or with no involvement of the father and it’s the catalyst for a host of downstream problems.

the issue is that white liberals certainly won’t raise the issue of single parenthood for fear of offending a powerful voting block and blacks in a position of power, like Obama won’t because they will be seen as betraying their race.

Its become acceptable in black society to have babies out of wedlock or with no involvement of the father and it’s the catalyst for a host of downstream problems.
No reasonable person could dispute that last sentence of yours.

It is a problem that can be solved with modern birth control methods, requiring a minimum of personal responsibility to agree to participate and follow up. It applies to blacks, whites and anyone else who is not yet able to care for children without government support.

No reasonable person could dispute that last sentence of yours.

It is a problem that can be solved with modern birth control methods, requiring a minimum of personal responsibility to agree to participate and follow up. It applies to blacks, whites and anyone else who is not yet able to care for children without government support.
Asian Americans are #1 in two-parent household percentage.

Want to take a guess who is #1 in academic achievement?

Next you'll probably try to tell us they are the highest earning group in the country.

Next you'll probably try to tell us they are the highest earning group in the country.

Or, we’ll hear that Asian Americans were never discriminated against, put in concentration camps during. WW2, forced labor to build railroads, etc
But, for some weird reason, they were able to overcome all that.

Here, in large part, we agree. However, two people having a child before they're ready shouldn't have to doom the child to remaining poor. Helping poor people, regardless of race, to be able to reach that point of financial stability is how we help their kids.

Also, birth control is sometimes not effective. People can do everything right and still end up with an unplanned pregnancy.

Anyway, I appreciate the civil discussion. We'd likely not agree on the means by which we as a society help lift people out of poverty, but at least it appears we agree that it's not poor people's own fault that they are poor (at least in a majority of cases). I'll excuse myself from the discussion at this point and leave with something I KNOW we can both agree on, here's hoping for a better effort from the football team on Friday!

so, how do you help poor people?

Ending up poor isnt always just bad luck or a matter of circumstance. In fact, it’s rarely the case. Being. Poor is often the result of poor decisions-making (like having children before marriage or before you’re financially stable), dropping out of school and not focusing on education.
I’ll even say being poor is a cultural problem in some areas.

When we riot do we start at Best Buy or Target? I’ve never done this before. TIC 😁

kinda funny how there haven’t been any burning of buildings, destroying small businesses, looting, destroying police cars, killings...
Apparently you guys don’t mess around with that little shit like Best Buy or Target. You go straight for the capital building.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT