ADVERTISEMENT

Where are the riots

Larry Elder has spoken about this for years. He backs it up with data showing how young black men growing up without a father are far more likely to commit crime, lack proper education, etc. There are millions of people stuck in our biggest cities who are stuck on welfare with no way to get out. This is what systemic generational poverty looks like. So sad.

I've been saying it for years, and I do so unapologetically: The 70% out of wedlock, single mom birthrate is the black community's biggest problem.

Without researching it, I'm also going to guess that the percentage of blacks with comorbidities is also higher (obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc.) which as we know, would lead to a much higher death rate for covid. Are those comorbidities and issue of societal structure or culture?

Speaking of culture, is the 70% birth rate of black children to single mothers a societal, structural or cultural phenomenon? Why is this major, catastrophic problem never addressed by black leadership?
I may be wrong, but from my perspective, it looks like you keep trying to find a way to victim-blame. Culture does not develop in a vacuum. What looks to you like the US "black culture" (my words, not yours) arose, was shaped byand is still being perpetuated by what's happening in the larger society as whole. A society with inequities in power and economics will necessarily result in a minority and majority cultures that are shaped by those inequities. Proposing a culture shift without addressing the structural things that led to it and is perpetuating things just comes across as tone-deafness.

And yes those disparities in health comorbodities largely reflects inequities inherent to our US society.

As for your second paragraph, I don't have enough time at the moment to engage you in a respectful and meaningful manner. I will say this though, there are elements of it that do sound tantalizingly close to being racist. And if you are unsure what is racist, I am happy to clarify it for you and for any others lurking. Any rhetoric, mindset that seems to insinuate that a racial group en mass or that group's prevalent culture is wrong/inferior/stupid/any other negative attribution, is invariably racist. no ifs or buts.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuilderBob6
The person who has helped blacks progress the most financially is Trump. That's been proven.

Perhaps you can articulate the specific policies that the Trump administration adopted that were so amazing on this front. The President has never actually been able to identify them despite being given multiple opportunities to do so.

The opportunity zone concept? That was Tim Scott's idea not the administration's and while there is some initial positive data w/r/t the program, it glosses over a kind of material fact. Specifically, one needs capital to invest in such zones to obtain the bulk of the tax incentives. As such, the program has largely functioned as a tax cut for investors. That is why Sen. Scott is seeking to create a federally backed loan program to fund minority owned businesses so that they can take advantage of the program.

Justice reform? The bill he signed is basically identical to the bill that had been passed through the house multiple times previously. The only difference was that Mitch let it get a floor vote in the Senate this time. Even if you put that one in the President's column there is the small problem that increasing the labor supply without a corresponding increase in demand has the effect of depressing costs, which would seem to make this a net negative on a purely economic basis.

His tax cuts. Perhaps, but supply side economics has been largely debunked. Yes, I know tax revenue went up, but with very few exceptions it goes up every year due to the magical power of inflation. Plus, a significant percentage of the African-American community are not tax payers and are recipients of transfer payments (e.g. the earned income tax credit) via the tax code. If they were already not paying federal income tax pray tell how they benefited from a lower tax rate?

The reality is that the decreases in unemployment he brags about are continuations of the trend that began under Bush (with a pretty nasty blip during 2008-2010) and continued under Obama. Yes, the historic lows occurred during his administration, but that is like saying the closer that comes into the game in the 9th is responsible for everything that happened in the first 8 innings. Yes, he does deserve credit for a strong economy during his first three years, but economic performance was far from historic during the period despite what he claims. Plus, economists are in pretty much unanimous agreement that the fundamentals of the economy that lead to long term economic growth move over long periods not 1-2 years (e.g. the 2009 crash's roots are in the late 1990s), and there is not much the president can do individually to move those fundamentals. Yes, he can juice the economy in the short term but it is just that short-term. That is why pretty much every president prior to Trump has been slow to claim credit for the economy, because they don't want to have to own the blame when it goes in reverse due to those longer term trends beyond their control.

I may be wrong, but from my perspective, it looks like you keep trying to find a way to victim-blame. Culture does not develop in a vacuum. What looks to you like the US "black culture" (my words, not yours) arose, was shaped and is perpetuated being influenced by what's happening in the larger society as whole. A society with inequities in power and economics will necessarily result in a minority and majority cultures that are shaped by those inequities. Proposing a culture shift without addressing structural things that led to and are perpetuating things just comes across as tone-deafness.

And yes those disparities in health comorbodities largely reflects inequities inherent to our US society.

As for your second paragraph, I don't have enough time at the moment to engage you in a respectful and meaningful manner. I will say this though, there are elements of it that do sound tantalizingly close to being racist. And if you are unsure what is racist, I am happy to clarify it for you and for any others lurking. Any rhetoric, mindset that seems to insinuate that a racial group en mass or prevalent racial culture is wrong/inferior/stupid/any other negative attribution, is invariably racist. no ifs or buts.
The systemic problem is the Federal Government making it easier for single parents than married parents. Having raised 3 kids and watching kids of single parents get reduced tuition really pissed me off. If they don’t want to borrow the money, join the military, the GI bill not only pays for college but gives you a living stipend. I’m not going into all the ways the system is being used but it happens regardless of race.
IMO fathers need to be held accountable for their offspring. Financially and psycologically.

The systemic problem is the Federal Government making it easier for single parents than married parents. Having raised 3 kids and watching kids of single parents get reduced tuition really pissed me off. If they don’t want to borrow the money, join the military, the GI bill not only pays for college but gives you a living stipend. I’m not going into all the ways the system is being used but it happens regardless of race.
IMO fathers need to be held accountable for their offspring. Financially and psychologically.
I am guessing blacks in America were doing fantastically well then prior to the 1960s. Aterall, they had intact nuclear families back then. Yeah, that's obviously silly

Look, let's get away from the silly, overly simplistic, and self-congratulatory narratives. Yes, data does suggest, very strongly, that intact nuclear families with strong father presence augurs well in general. (Although Sweden poses an interesting counter example). The absence and deterioration of that in the black families is not encouraging and there are plenty contributing factors, some of which might indeed by what you are alluding to. But it by itself nowhere explains everything or much. At best, we can say it probably is contributing to how things are. There are still many other issues. By the way, there is emerging data, that absence of husband-dad in many black households does not necessarily mean absence of strong male father figure. The latter seem to exist far more than traditional data sets typically count.

I am guessing blacks in America were doing fantastically well then prior to the 1960s. Aterall, they had intact nuclear families back then. Yeah, that's obviously silly

Look, let's get away from the silly, overly simplistic, and self-congratulatory narratives. Yes, data does suggest, very strongly, that intact nuclear families with strong father presence augurs well in general. (Although Sweden poses an interesting counter example). The absence and deterioration of that in the black families is not encouraging and there are plenty contributing factors, some of which might indeed by what you are alluding to. But it by itself nowhere explains everything or much. At best, we can say it probably is contributing to how things are. There are still many other issues. By the way, there is emerging data, that absence of husband-dad in many black households does not necessarily mean absence of strong male father figure. The latter seem to exist far more than traditional data sets typically count.

So, what do you think is the biggest problem facing black Americans?
Is there something in black culture or society that's holding them back?
And if you're answer is 'systemic racism', give some specific examples.

Reactions: Riveting
Like clockwork, here comes the Democrat's violence.

Sun went down, Dems/BLM come out and attack people and firebomb resturants.

Where is Joe?

Will Joe call off his dogs?

Like clockwork, here comes the Democrat's violence.

Sun went down, Dems/BLM come out and attack people and firebomb resturants.

Where is Joe?

Will Joe call off his dogs?

the party of impulse control. And BLM wonders why white people do t support their cause....

How many flags did he sell, and what kind? Do you have that info?

Which of those flags is more offensive and disgusting than a red flag showing a hammer and sickle, in your opinion?
You of course are the ultimate arbiter on what is good and what is not good or acceptable. You asked for my opinion so I gave it to you.

You can call me a racist, that's OK, it's doesn't bother me. But don't use your skin color as some sort of handicap that results in you being exposed to unique challenges. You're black? Congrats. Guess what? I don't care. I won't treat you any differently, unless of course, you think I should?

But, like BNI, if you're going to lump all black people together and believe all blacks should vote Democrat, otherwise you're doing a disservice to your race, that's what I have a problem with.

Finally, if you think a lot of your problems in life are because of your skin color, I have little tolerance for that.
Again, you misquote me. I never said that blacks should vote only Democrat. I’ve always said that blacks should not vote for President Slick because he is a racist and white supremacist.

Reactions: Bill4411
They are just trying to make themselves feel better for voting for the worst president of our generation. Right next to Reagan.
Dude Obama has been gone for 4 years get over yourself. I will give you Biden moved him up to 2nd worse are Carter to 3 what a gift before the poor peanut farmer dies. Were you born stupid or do you and 35 pool your stupidity to both be the dumbest person in a room at all times?

Again, you misquote me. I never said that blacks should vote only Democrat. I’ve always said that blacks should not vote for President Slick because he is a racist and white supremacist.
But they should vote for a racist Biden..............You being such a racist yourself it makes sense

aww you poor little baby can’t take the L. Would you feel a little better if we gave you a runners up trophy? It’s ok we can let you take your time accepting reality. The republican meltdown continues.

Did you get the shit beat out of you on the playground every day or just every other day?

It's not about using my blackness as a weapon. I am nowhere suggesting all blacks should vote democrat. I am trying to help you understand why we do tend to vote overwhelmingly democrat since you seemed baffled by it.

But I will echo it again, "insinuating black people are stupid and you know better than them what is good for them" is condescending, and without a doubt a racist mindset. You may not view yourself as racist, and that's fine. But if you find yourself holding that mindset or espousing that rubbish, i would suggest it is time you did some serious introspection.

I don't need to insinuate anything you prove the point by voting for Democrats to tell you how to live. If you can't see that dont blame the rest of us.You sir need the introspection but as a bought and pd liberal you won't

Reactions: SKYDOG
Are the challenges that you refer to based solely on the color of your skin? If so, please help us understand why black immigrants do better here in the U.S. than native blacks?
I will tell you why blacks immigrants tend to do better than African Americans. Here is a quote from a talk show host, Joe Madison from SiriusXM channel 126. “In America we are culturally conditioned to believe that white is superior and black is inferior. The manifestations of that cultural conditioning is that blacks are under valued, under estimated, and marginalized.” He goes on to say the some that some blacks believe in their own inferiority. In America, we are always taught that white colleges are better. White doctors are better. White dentists are better etc. The 70’s show, Sanford & Son Episode 9, Season 2 “Tooth and Consequences” is good example of this. Fred Sanford has a tooth ache and demands a white dentist because he assumes that the white dentist went to the best schools and that the black dentist took correspondence courses. Turns out the black dentist went to the best school and the white dentist took corespondents courses.

Atmafola is spot on when he says that in his 17 years living elsewhere did it cross his mind that he was black. I know exactly what he is talking about. Blacks from other countries don’t have to worry about cultural conditioning. They grow up seeing blacks succeeding in businesses, banking, schools etc. I’ve known Nigerians at Purdue and I asked them why does it seem that Nigerians stress education because I see a lot of Nigerian doctors in America. They tell me that in Nigeria getting BS degree is no big deal. That is what you are supposed to do. The big deal is getting advance degrees. Therefore, when blacks immigrants come to the US they have their feet on the ground and ready to go. Whether it is going to school or work. They find out pretty quick on how being black in this country is. President Slick may call the countries some these people come from sh*t holes but these are good hard word working folks.

Biden is not a racist. Blacks would not have overwhelmingly voted for him if he was.
Right , sorry to see what you attempt to think , If Biden were not a racist enough white people(liberals) wouldnt have given him enough votes to win. I have no clue if you are really black or not, but take your pseudo racist BS and your Gumbos and Sambos and stay home.

I will tell you why blacks immigrants tend to do better than African Americans. Here is a quote from a talk show host, Joe Madison from SiriusXM channel 126. “In America we are culturally conditioned to believe that white is superior and black is inferior. The manifestations of that cultural conditioning is that blacks are under valued, under estimated, and marginalized.” He goes on to say the some that some blacks believe in their own inferiority. In America, we are always taught that white colleges are better. White doctors are better. White dentists are better etc. The 70’s show, Sanford & Son Episode 9, Season 2 “Tooth and Consequences” is good example of this. Fred Sanford has a tooth ache and demands a white dentist because he assumes that the white dentist went to the best schools and that the black dentist took correspondence courses. Turns out the black dentist went to the best school and the white dentist took corespondents courses.

Atmafola is spot on when he says that in his 17 years living elsewhere did it cross his mind that he was black. I know exactly what he is talking about. Blacks from other countries don’t have to worry about cultural conditioning. They grow up seeing blacks succeeding in businesses, banking, schools etc. I’ve known Nigerians at Purdue and I asked them why does it seem that Nigerians stress education because I see a lot of Nigerian doctors in America. They tell me that in Nigeria getting BS degree is no big deal. That is what you are supposed to do. The big deal is getting advance degrees. Therefore, when blacks immigrants come to the US they have their feet on the ground and ready to go. Whether it is going to school or work. They find out pretty quick on how being black in this country is. President Slick may call the countries some these people come from sh*t holes but these are good hard word working folks.
wow thanks for articulating what I started saying but had to run out to a meeting before completing it. When you arrive as a black immigrant, you arrive without cultural baggage (400+ years in making) that American blacks have to contend with. You arrive without having internalized "black is inferior" norm that's so prevalent in America. It's kinda like air, it is so prevalent that almost imperceptible to many, including many of my fellow alumnis on here. And having been black in 2 countries and now a father to a son who has grown up only American, I have a front row seat to the unique challenges American blacks have to face, that my privilege of growing up black elsewhere precluded me from partaking in. My relative success as an immigrant is largely driven by advantages I arrived the country with.

Last edited:
wow thanks for articulating what I started saying but had to run out to a meeting before completing it. When you arrive as a black immigrant, you arrive without cultural baggage (400+ years in making) that American blacks have to contend with. You arrive without having internalized "black is inferior" norm that's so prevalent in America. It's kinda like air, it is so prevalent that almost imperceptible to many, including many of my fellow alumnis on here. And having been black in 2 countries and now a father to a son who has grown up only American, I have a front row seat to the unique challenges American blacks have to face, that my privilege of growing up black elsewhere precluded me from partaking in. My relative success as an immigrant is largely driven by advantages I arrived the country with.
What advantages did you arrive with that US-born blacks do not have?

A two-parent household, for example, would be a major advantage over blacks and others who grow up in a single-parent home. Is that what you mean?

Reactions: Crayfish57
What advantages did you arrive with that US-born blacks do not have?

A two-parent household, for example, would be a major advantage over blacks and others who grow up in a single-parent home. Is that what you mean?
You are so invested in pushing your overly simplistic single parent reason narrative that you're missing everything else. But the biggest advantage I arrived with was growing up without the pervasive "black is inferior" culture and therefore not internalizing it. That and relatively wealthy parents that sent me to some excellent schools.

You are so invested in pushing your overly simplistic single parent reason narrative that you're missing everything else. But the biggest advantage I arrived with was growing up without the pervasive "black is inferior" culture and therefore not internalizing it. That and relatively wealthy parents that sent me to some excellent schools.
Invested? It is not my narrative, but I think the stats clearly show kids from two-parent homes fare much better in measures such education levels, job income, and staying out of prison than do kids from single-parent homes, right?

Do you dispute that?

Yep, atmafola is absolutely correct. Black immigrants aren't culturally conditioned to be inferior. As a black American I can remember countless stories, particularly of older blacks throughout the years that their junior and high school teachers/counselors have told them that they will not succeed in college and discourage them from taking college prep courses. During Jim Crow, blacks could not even attend the local PUBLIC schools just because of their skin color. Because of this cultural conditioning, white is superior/Black is inferior, society as a whole including lighter skinned blacks throughout the years have shunned darker skinned blacks. They have straightened their hair. This is one of the reasons that you see a lot of black women running around with blonde hair. Black women in the US military are having fits trying to comply with the military hair standards. All this to satisfy the so called European standard of beauty. One can say that they have black friends but if you are not black, you may not understand this. If you do have black friends, ask them about this. If they are 40 or 45 years and older, they should be able to corroborate what I'm saying. Most people are not aware of this but I can tell you this is real.

I was asking him if he if disputes my belief that stats clearly show kids from two-parent homes fare much better in measures such education levels, job income, and staying out of prison than do kids from single-parent homes.

He has not answered yet. I hope he does, and does not slink away to hide again like he did when I asked him recently to back up his claim that the 2007 great recession was worse than the current covid-caused recession.

I was asking him if he if disputes my belief that stats clearly show kids from two-parent homes fare much better in measures such education levels, job income, and staying out of prison than do kids from single-parent homes.

He has not answered yet. I hope he does, and does not slink away to hide again like he did when I asked him recently to back up his claim that the 2007 great recession was worse than the current covid-caused recession.
go back and read some of my posts. I have addressed that in particular earlier.

go back and read some of my posts. I have addressed that in particular earlier.
I stopped reading most of your threads after you slunk away and hid after that economic claim you could not back up.

But fine, here you have said, "But it by itself nowhere explains everything or much. At best, we can say it probably is contributing to how things are. There are still many other issues."

On what basis can you claim that the one-parent statistics "nowhere explains...much", to use your awkward phrasing? Isn't the 'issue' that really needs to be explained is why so many black families are of the single-parent type?

Or does the narrative you are so invested in prefer to avoid that issue because the answers may have something to do with individual responsibility ?

You've been posting this sentiment a lot, lately, and, while there are certainly benefits to two parents in the home, it is a dramatically more complex issue than you're making it. First, there is research that suggests the benefits of a two-parent home are significantly less apparent in the black community.

Second, even with a higher percentage of single-parent (usually the mother) homes, black fathers are actually more involved in their kids' lives than those of other races.

Finally, underlying your point is an implication that it's black people's own fault they aren't as upwardly mobile as white people. If only they'd get married, like everyone else, they'd have all the same opportunities, which simply isn't true. Even if it were, your premise holds children accountable for what you view as the "sins" of their parents. Before my position is misrepresented, I'm not arguing against the importance of parenting, but there's no reason effective parenting can't come from any number of family models

You of course are the ultimate arbiter on what is good and what is not good or acceptable. You asked for my opinion so I gave it to you.
You didn't give me your opinion. I asked you which of those flags is more offensive and disgusting than a red flag showing a hammer and sickle, in your opinion?

I hope you are not suffering from BDS.

Reactions: Crayfish57
You've been posting this sentiment a lot, lately, and, while there are certainly benefits to two parents in the home, it is a dramatically more complex issue than you're making it. First, there is research that suggests the benefits of a two-parent home are significantly less apparent in the black community.

Second, even with a higher percentage of single-parent (usually the mother) homes, black fathers are actually more involved in their kids' lives than those of other races.

Finally, underlying your point is an implication that it's black people's own fault they aren't as upwardly mobile as white people. If only they'd get married, like everyone else, they'd have all the same opportunities, which simply isn't true. Even if it were, your premise holds children accountable for what you view as the "sins" of their parents. Before my position is misrepresented, I'm not arguing against the importance of parenting, but there's no reason effective parenting can't come from any number of family models
Your premise that my premise holds children accountable for the 'sins' of their parents is not valid. Can you show otherwise?

I am not seeking to find blame, just ideas for better outcomes. If I were seeking to assign blame, the first place I would look is government programs that make people think they are dependent and victims. I would never blame children for that. I think you just made that up. Did you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT